Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Dad claims to have found a shoebox of unshot film to give me. It's almost certainly Ultramax 400 (or something similar), but it's been in a shoebox in a closet for 15 years. Is there any reason not to just shoot it as rated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

It's color negative film. If you really care, you could give it an extra stop of exposure, but it'll probably come out fine even if you shoot it at box speed.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

You can make a system to do this yourself if you want easily enough. I just took a 5 dollar immersion heater, a tiny fish filter to circulate water, and an arduino with a relay setup and temp probe. Had it turn the heater on if it was too cold, turn it off if it was too hot, and it'll sit within 1c of target all day long.

I tried setting up a fancy PID system to run it but man that was just not working with my tank.

e. Wiring up circuits is fun!

Yeah, I'm ordering something from Adafruit for another project and I think it may just tip me over the edge into picking up an Arduino starter kit to mess around with. Probably have a Raspberry Pi follow me home too...

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

TheJeffers posted:

It's color negative film. If you really care, you could give it an extra stop of exposure, but it'll probably come out fine even if you shoot it at box speed.

On the other hand, you're not going to do any damage to it by shooting it at least at 200ISO. I have a bunch of lovely old expired, dubiously stored consumer 35mm and it always seems to turn out better if I overexpose by a stop from box speed and pay the extra $ to have it developed by a competent lab.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Yeah I shoot fresh Ultramax at 200 or 160 if it is overcast, it looks way better that way.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I just set up my scanner for the first time in a couple of months, and started scanning some colour slide film.

The scanner seemed to be taking a reeeeally long time even just to do the preview scan, which came out like this:

something looks majorly wrong and I'm worried the scanner is stuffed (V700)

Any ideas?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Sure you don't have it on the document setting?

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

deaders posted:

Yeah I shoot fresh Ultramax at 200 or 160 if it is overcast, it looks way better that way.
overexposing color negatives should give a saguration/contrast boost. It least it does so when printing...

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Spedman posted:

Sure you don't have it on the document setting?

Yeah nah, it's all set correctly as far as I can tell. I think it might have copped a flogging in the car on the move.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Sludge Tank posted:

Yeah nah, it's all set correctly as far as I can tell. I think it might have copped a flogging in the car on the move.

Please don't tell me you move your scanner without locking it. I know your are sludge tank and all but...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

For a sec I thought you were scanning in the car :stare:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Also "copped a flogging" is my new favorite phrase.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Sludge Tank could have also said he "belted the living suitcase" out of it (a personal favourite).

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

Sludge Tank could have also said he "belted the living suitcase" out of it (a personal favourite).

I just want to say, I love the way you Australians have taken the time and effort to make the english language so much more fun for the rest of us (even if they did sort of kick ya'll out of their country). Between this and discovering instagram user "Tindafella" I feel much closer to you as a people than I did last Saturday morning at 7 am.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

So much budgie smuggler drone that Tinderfella bloke, gotta be from Sydney.

If you want to watch the most Australian and un-PC movie from the 70's check out this:
http://youtu.be/sk1cULdqjSw

The main character pretty much only talks in slang. A young Dame Edna is in too!

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

8th-snype posted:

Please don't tell me you move your scanner without locking it. I know your are sludge tank and all but...

I locked it.
But I changed the resolution from 720 down to 300 and it seemed to fix it, weirdly (after trying a few passes at 720 with same lovely results).

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Sludge Tank posted:

I locked it.
But I changed the resolution from 720 down to 300 and it seemed to fix it, weirdly (after trying a few passes at 720 with same lovely results).

Weird, is this with Epson Scan or after market software? I have never had an issue with Silverfast and resolution.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Aussie slang is cool and all, but New Zealand English is where the real party is at. They call a cooler/esky a "chilly bin", for christsakes.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Try buying a growler (of beer) in NZ.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
open by PC-P, on Flickr

robbery by PC-P, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Aussie slang is cool and all, but New Zealand English is where the real party is at. They call a cooler/esky a "chilly bin", for christsakes.

And don't forget to put your jandals/thongs/double-pluggers on!

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Spedman posted:

double-pluggers

I only heard that one for the first time up in Queensland a couple of weeks ago.
After I replied with "huh?" then I get "You know! Havi's!".

Friggin perverts the lot of 'em

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Queensland is the Florida of Australia, I think the heat and humidity drive them all mad.

I moved my scanner to a table next to the couch in hopes that it would help me get through my film backlog. Optimism at its best.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
boxy by PC-P, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I got an XA2 for $10. It's kinda fun but I think it picked up a light leak somewhere in my travels

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
yo dogg I hear you like starflex so we took a picture of your starflex with a starflex

Untitled by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Edit for actual content:

roll yo own by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Definitely not spending crazy people money on crusty old 127 film. Respooling this wasn't really all that difficult in a dark bag.

voodoorootbeer fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 22, 2014

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Been taking classes this semester focused on film photography, film development and darkroom printing, and I think that something about the film scanning process has just lost its allure for me. I feel like my scanned negatives don't hold a candle to what I can accomplish with a couple hours in the darkroom with an enlarger--the actual prints just seem BETTER, even blowing 35mm up to 8x10.

Maybe I'm spending too much time on scanned negatives, processing them as if they were more like digital images? All I usually do is scan as a positive, invert and play around with the curves (and spotting dust), but the disconnect has absolutely killed my motivation to get my film backlog scanned. At least I'm enjoying staring at the pile of prints I've made.

Anyone else ever feel this way?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Shellman posted:

Been taking classes this semester focused on film photography, film development and darkroom printing, and I think that something about the film scanning process has just lost its allure for me. I feel like my scanned negatives don't hold a candle to what I can accomplish with a couple hours in the darkroom with an enlarger--the actual prints just seem BETTER, even blowing 35mm up to 8x10.

Maybe I'm spending too much time on scanned negatives, processing them as if they were more like digital images? All I usually do is scan as a positive, invert and play around with the curves (and spotting dust), but the disconnect has absolutely killed my motivation to get my film backlog scanned. At least I'm enjoying staring at the pile of prints I've made.

I wonder if that's a function of process fatigue. You feel better about your darkroom prints because you are actually physically "doing" some thing versus sitting in front of a computer. Which is a thing all of do all the time in 2014. If it works better for you cool. There's nothing wrong with preferring to work one way or another but I'm not sure it's objectively better in some way.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Shellman posted:

It is far more satisfying as it is a far more involved and tactile process, especially when you get into the realm of split filtering while dodging and burning. And your images will probably look better, especially with an enlarger with a good lens on it. Unless you get into the realm of drum scanning in which case the photos will look pretty drat close if not better. But at the end of the day, unless you have access to a darkroom (I no longer do, which is a severe bummer for me), you are pretty much left with what ya got. Not to mention if people thought film was expensive, they'd lose their minds when introducing wet printing. The price per image sky rockets at that point, especially when the cost of paper alone is a dollar per gently caress up, more so if you are using fiber paper, and you should always be using fiber paper. But I do feel sorry for those that haven't had the opportunity to play with chemicals in the red light. It's a pretty unique experience and while I can't say I have the time (or income) anymore for it to be in my workflow, I definitely would be lying if I said I didn't miss it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

pootiebigwang posted:

The price per image sky rockets at that point, especially when the cost of paper alone is a dollar per gently caress up, more so if you are using fiber paper, and you should always be using fiber paper.

gently caress ups cost a dollar? Oh that's cute.*scene cuts to LF camera vomiting money into the street*

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

8th-snype posted:

gently caress ups cost a dollar? Oh that's cute.*scene cuts to LF camera vomiting money into the street*

I hate money. That's pretty much the only reason I got into LF. gently caress the system.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sometimes Velvia 50's colour wants to punch you in the face.

Ang Moh Kio by alkanphel, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Here is a French dude in Beijing who buys old discarded negatives by the kilo, and has made a project out of everyday photos taken by Chinese between 1985-2005. My favourite parts are the buying bags of film, and the Chinese guy scanning 18000 negatives a month on his little Canon scanner hooked up to a beige box with a little CRT:

http://vimeo.com/40689438

And a theres a photographic celebrity appearance at the end.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Spedman posted:

Here is a French dude in Beijing who buys old discarded negatives by the kilo, and has made a project out of everyday photos taken by Chinese between 1985-2005. My favourite parts are the buying bags of film, and the Chinese guy scanning 18000 negatives a month on his little Canon scanner hooked up to a beige box with a little CRT:

http://vimeo.com/40689438

And a theres a photographic celebrity appearance at the end.

I was seeing his images all over the new Yorker Instagram. The video is very nicely done, and pretty interesting.

Edit: those are intense eyebrows.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 23, 2014

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Jesus. Scanning that many on a flatbed must be torture. Someone get these guys a Pakon.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
At the risk of sounding stupid as gently caress, has anyone played with a Nishika N8000? They look pretty fun. Especially for some halloween photos.

I've been reading that it recommends film rated for 200 outdoors and 1600 indoors, since I think the shutter is locked at 1/60. So maybe Superia 200/1600.

mod edit: i edited your post for you so you didn't run afoul of one of our fine dorkroom rules.

18. In this day and age, the term 'hipster' is not representative of any specific cultural group, manner of dress, or style of photography. As such, using it as a blanket term is really stupid and you really shouldn't do it.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 23, 2014

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Yeah, I have the n9000 and it recommends 1600 with flash for indoors and 200 for outdoors. The n9000 has a switch that flips between "sun" and "cloud" so I think it has two apertures.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Probably f/16 and f/11

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
I got an Olympus XA3 and loving love it.

Tri-x @ 200 ei

Baldivis, 23rd October 2014 by Simon Deadman, on Flickr

Railway Crossing, Baldivis, 23rd October 2014 by Simon Deadman, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Geektox posted:

Yeah, I have the n9000 and it recommends 1600 with flash for indoors and 200 for outdoors. The n9000 has a switch that flips between "sun" and "cloud" so I think it has two apertures.

Awesome thanks! Can't wait to burn some film money with it.

Out of curiosity, do you have any images you've taken with it up here?