Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Someone uploaded the ending of the battle with Ronan onto Youtube, and I'm happy they did because everything about it is amazing and I got to remember how hard I laughed at the scene in the cinema. Obviously the dancing, but also Lee Pace's perfect reaction acting ("...what are you doing?") and the use of "turd-blossom" as an insult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Josh Lyman posted:

Marvel finally decided to release a dancing baby Groot, except it looks like complete poo poo: http://mashable.com/2014/10/10/baby-groot-officially-licensed-christmas/

What a loving wasted opportunity. If they made a higher quality one I'd easily pay 40 or 50 bucks for it. They should have had them ready to go within weeks of the premier. Marvel is just leaving money on the table at this point.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Big McHuge posted:

What a loving wasted opportunity. If they made a higher quality one I'd easily pay 40 or 50 bucks for it. They should have had them ready to go within weeks of the premier. Marvel is just leaving money on the table at this point.

I'm sure with each passing Marvel film a double/triple/quadruple dip of the Guardians blu-ray will come out with progressively more intense dancing Groots.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Won't be happy till I get a twerkin groot

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Won't be happy till I get a twerkin groot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Move on.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CAD posted, close thread.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

gently caress I'm sorry I didn't realize that was covered by CAD.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Well, that's your loss.

dot jpeg

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I was thinking about the end of this movie earlier. Near the end when Starlord has a vision of his mother and takes her hand, do you think that was just a memory/hallucination or did he use the gem to reach through time and space to actually comfort his mother at the time of her death?

I've heard this was supposed to be the power gem and other gems would make more sense if this was the case, but it would make it a much more interesting moment.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Awesome Mix Vol 1 for sale during Record Store Day

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Panzerschwein posted:

I was thinking about the end of this movie earlier. Near the end when Starlord has a vision of his mother and takes her hand, do you think that was just a memory/hallucination or did he use the gem to reach through time and space to actually comfort his mother at the time of her death?

I've heard this was supposed to be the power gem and other gems would make more sense if this was the case, but it would make it a much more interesting moment.

I'd imagine that'd be the soul gem that'd do something like you describe. It was probably a memory where he finally completes the personnel connection in the face of fear he never could as a child. I don't think your last theory is the case at all.

That's not to say it's impossible in the Marvel canon, but in this case nah.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Has Marvel never said which ones the tesseract and the aether and the orb are?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Panzerschwein posted:

While I didn't see anything in the movie to support this interpretation, I really like it. A mother comforted by the vision of his son grown with a life of his own on her death bed would be pretty emotional if couched correctly in the scene

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Neo Rasa posted:

The Tesseract is pretty obviously the Space Gem.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I imagine the gem in Loki's spear, which at first I didn't think to be an Infinity stone, is probably the mind gem.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I posted earlier saying I wasn't going to like it, and I liked it. It was fun and engaging and looked great. I liked Ronan The Accuser. He was mean and cool-looking and powerful and that's what I want in a villain. Not to say he couldn't have been developed more but his opening scene told us what we needed to know about his motivations and his actions backed it up, so I'm happy.

It made me curious about the comic version and looking around I found his appearance in Inhumans.

I would guess this is what inspired the movie look, it's pretty close. Love Ladronn's art, seems very Giger.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Croisquessein posted:

I posted earlier saying I wasn't going to like it, and I liked it. It was fun and engaging and looked great. I liked Ronan The Accuser. He was mean and cool-looking and powerful and that's what I want in a villain. Not to say he couldn't have been developed more but his opening scene told us what we needed to know about his motivations and his actions backed it up, so I'm happy.

It made me curious about the comic version and looking around I found his appearance in Inhumans.

I would guess this is what inspired the movie look, it's pretty close. Love Ladronn's art, seems very Giger.

More Moebius than Giger.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Neo Rasa posted:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/33262/james-gunn-talks-marvel-s-infinity-stones

Kevin Feige confirms that the Tesseract was the Space Gem.

James Gunn said that the Orb from Guardians was the Power Gem.

Loki might have had the Mind Gem in his scepter. Given the way it was used, most everyone assumes that the Aether was the Reality Gem, but those two are officially unconfirmed as far as I know.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

davidspackage posted:

I imagine the gem in Loki's spear, which at first I didn't think to be an Infinity stone, is probably the mind gem.

I really doubt they're doing that, since I can't imagine Thanos being dumb enough to risk one gem for another.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Fulchrum posted:

I really doubt they're doing that, since I can't imagine Thanos being dumb enough to risk one gem for another.

See, that's exactly what I thought, but the Cap America 2 post credits scene showed that it's still an item of importance, and I expect it's what Baron Strucker uses to keep Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch obedient. I guess that doesn't mean it must be a gem, and it does seem stupid to give Loki of all people an infinity gem/stone, but I figure they're going to want most of the stones introduced into the movie universe soon.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Hydra has been unable to remove the blue gem from Loki's scepter. Perhaps it's full of tracking devices.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
Dunno if it was mentioned but, Guardians of the Galaxy has passed Captain America 2 in worldwide gross, it is on pace to overtake both X-Men: DOFP and Maleficent to become the #2 movie worldwide for the year, behind Transformers.

It opens in Italy (and the "Italian speaking" region of Switzerland which is probably not much) tomorrow

That is insane.

http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2014&p=.htm

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It's a straightforwardly good movie that isn't faking "maturity" by making everything grim and depressing and desaturated. Amazingly it turns out people like that in their comic book fun time space movie.

:iiam:

E: But seriously the money it's making really is nuts.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Mechafunkzilla posted:

More Moebius than Giger.

I was only vaguely aware of Moebius, but yeah, definitely more like that. Although Ladronn does have some biomechanical-style stuff on his website, so probably a little Giger also.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, if this movie makes it to the #2 spot, the top-two movies of the year will be brightly colored, broadly comedic sci-fi romps about space aliens. Transformers and Guardians of the Galaxy, brothers in arms, though one's obviously a little better than the other, as shown by the box office receipts.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

And on paper this was the 'risky, weird one'. I've said it before, but I wonder if they're starting to regret not letting Edgar Wright do his thing on Ant Man now, since people are obviously happy to see Marvel shake things up a little bit.

Not that I'm claiming this was a huge departure from their template or anything.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 21, 2014

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Junkenstein posted:

And on paper this was the 'risky, weird one'. I've said it before, but I wonder if they're starting to regret not letting Edgar Wright do his thing on Ant Man now, since people are obviously happy to see Marvel shake things up a little bit.

Not that I'm claiming this was a huge departure from their template or anything.

http://screenrant.com/ant-man-script-changes-differences/

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, if this movie makes it to the #2 spot, the top-two movies of the year will be brightly colored, broadly comedic sci-fi romps about space aliens.

If GotG convinces hollywood to make more fun, happy, adventurous scifi movies instead of bland 'n grim ones then I'l appreciate GotG that much more.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

davidspackage posted:

See, that's exactly what I thought, but the Cap America 2 post credits scene showed that it's still an item of importance, and I expect it's what Baron Strucker uses to keep Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch obedient. I guess that doesn't mean it must be a gem, and it does seem stupid to give Loki of all people an infinity gem/stone, but I figure they're going to want most of the stones introduced into the movie universe soon.

They've got an entire third wave of movies. One as a stinger in Avengers 2, one in Doc Strange (probably Soul), one in Thor 3, one in Guardians 2, which Thanos will obtain, then head to earth to get the other couple, leading the Guardians to earth to introduce and link all elwments together.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's really weird to think that a few years ago, this director was having Ellen Page rape Rainn Wilson.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

It's really weird to think that a few years ago, this director was having Ellen Page rape Rainn Wilson.

No weirder than having an Alien rape a women until she became a literal living womb who birth slugs.

James Gunn's weirdness is why he owns.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

They've got an entire third wave of movies. One as a stinger in Avengers 2, one in Doc Strange (probably Soul), one in Thor 3, one in Guardians 2, which Thanos will obtain, then head to earth to get the other couple, leading the Guardians to earth to introduce and link all elwments together.

I dunno, given all this recent talk about Civil War starting with Cap 3, I'm not sure Avengers 3 will be the big 'GotG and Thanos come to Earth' smackdown we expected. I'd be fine with the big Infinity Gauntlet esque story conclusion being primarily a GotG based thing to be honest, maybe with a bit of Thor and Doctor Strange or something.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Junkenstein posted:

I dunno, given all this recent talk about Civil War starting with Cap 3, I'm not sure Avengers 3 will be the big 'GotG and Thanos come to Earth' smackdown we expected. I'd be fine with the big Infinity Gauntlet esque story conclusion being primarily a GotG based thing to be honest, maybe with a bit of Thor and Doctor Strange or something.

Someone at Marvel said "The battle with Thanos will span two films." Guardians 2 and Avengers 3 make the most sense by far.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Thats not so much saying GOTG 2 will be the setup, as they're just pulling a Hobbit/Harry Potter/ Twilight thing and making two Avengers 3s.

http://collider.com/avengers-3-split-2-movies/

Junkenstein posted:

Fear the Awesome Power of the Infinity Gauntlet. It amplified his power, turning a villain the Guardians were terrified of, into one they're terrified of.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Fulchrum posted:

Thats not so much saying GOTG 2 will be the setup, as they're just pulling a Hobbit/Harry Potter/ Twilight thing and making two Avengers 3s.

http://collider.com/avengers-3-split-2-movies/

Fear the Awesome Power of the Infinity Gauntlet. It amplified his power, turning a villain the Guardians were terrified of, into one they're terrified of.

That is kind of what confuses me about going with an infinity gauntlet path. It's pretty obvious that they are. But I don't get how they could film the infinity gauntlet saga without devoting an unreasonable amount of time to Thanos and his backstory. GotG essentially sacrificed any real attempts at fleshing out the villains, which worked out well. Ronan, as shown, had the power to blow up a planet, and his only interest was blowing up a planet, and the GotG decided to stop him from blowing up a planet.

Thanos, if he gets the gauntlet, essentially becomes god, levels of magnitude beyond the heroes we've seen so far. The plucky band of upstart heroes doesn't really stand a chance against him unless they reduce the power/capabilities of the infinity gems greatly. They've spent so long building up the power of the gems, so that seems out. And they haven't really gone into Thanos' story much beyond "he's a pretty bad dude!" So I just don't see how they can sensibly film a saga that is ostensibly Cosmic Scarface.

That being said, nothing in their recent filmography has been bad, so they probably have a good idea in place.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Pander posted:

That is kind of what confuses me about going with an infinity gauntlet path. It's pretty obvious that they are. But I don't get how they could film the infinity gauntlet saga without devoting an unreasonable amount of time to Thanos and his backstory. GotG essentially sacrificed any real attempts at fleshing out the villains, which worked out well. Ronan, as shown, had the power to blow up a planet, and his only interest was blowing up a planet, and the GotG decided to stop him from blowing up a planet.

Thanos, if he gets the gauntlet, essentially becomes god, levels of magnitude beyond the heroes we've seen so far. The plucky band of upstart heroes doesn't really stand a chance against him unless they reduce the power/capabilities of the infinity gems greatly. They've spent so long building up the power of the gems, so that seems out. And they haven't really gone into Thanos' story much beyond "he's a pretty bad dude!" So I just don't see how they can sensibly film a saga that is ostensibly Cosmic Scarface.

That being said, nothing in their recent filmography has been bad, so they probably have a good idea in place.

So, I don't want to make a huge spoiler here for those unfamiliar with the comics, but you do know that the Avengers straight up loving lose against Thanos in the comic storyline, right? Like, a flat-out, unambiguous curb-stomping.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
They could easily combine both storylines. Use GotG 2 to build up Thanos, have it end with them being defeated and Thanos going to Earth. Avengers 3 is mostly about the Civil War storyline, until Thanos arrives to force them all to work together again. Possibly throw in some sort of reference to Thanos, like have Doctor Strange see visions or some poo poo. I'm not sure how many movies are in between Avengers 2 and 3, but Civil War could be worked into all of them. Not the focus, but a part of each one.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Officer Farva posted:

They could easily combine both storylines. Use GotG 2 to build up Thanos, have it end with them being defeated and Thanos going to Earth. Avengers 3 is mostly about the Civil War storyline, until Thanos arrives to force them all to work together again. Possibly throw in some sort of reference to Thanos, like have Doctor Strange see visions or some poo poo. I'm not sure how many movies are in between Avengers 2 and 3, but Civil War could be worked into all of them. Not the focus, but a part of each one.

4 are planned, two of which could easily feature cosmic stuff (Guardians 2 and Dr Strange).

The other two are Ant Man and Cap 3, the latter of which would be a stretch and the former I don't know anything about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The speculation is that Captain America 3 will mostly be Civil War story, since Robert Downey Jr. has joined the cast. If they go that way, I guess Iron Man will be the main antagonist.

• Locked thread