Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

The index patient of this entire epidemic was an infant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Unsubstantiated outside of Drudge's fear-mongering yet, but there are claims the guy went bowling yesterday and took an Uber
Man, Lyft is really mad about that whole burner-phone episode.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Didn't they trace the first Ebola infection in West Africa to a toddler?

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

The index patient of this entire epidemic was an infant.

I was going to add a bunch of ironic smilies to my post before I saw this was the DnD thread, but yes.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Tim Raines IRL posted:

there are lots of things capitalism is good at; innovating novel drugs for (at the time) obscure problems isn't one of them, and this is why I have believed so strongly for so long that there's a need for seriously well funded public drug research. It's in the public interest, duh. I'd go as far as saying not only should the USG be outspending the 3-4 biggest drug firms on this, but that anything found as a result of this public research should be public domain forever.

Along these lines Hendra virus, a type of henipavirus which fatally infected both people and horses had a vaccine quickly researched and made because the horse race industry ($$$) was threatened in Australia.

Things are looking bleak for treatment of rapidly emerging antibiotic resistant pathogens as well. The development of new antibiotics has been decreasing steadily since the early 1980s. The cost of research and development of antibiotics (there are estimates that it costs ~$1 billion to bring an antibiotic from discovery to market) is prohibitive and the reward is often small. There are being steps made to help incentivize development at the moment (via the GAIN act). The problem with antibiotic profitability for drug companies is that you take them when you need them, which is not often compared with things like psych meds.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

A two year old is probably extra bad because you need to change their diaper. Very easy to get contaminated I bet.

I hate to make assumptions, but I'm guessing diapers are probably not a factor in much of the affected areas, which is arguably worse. And children that age are pretty much germ dispensers regardless, so like R0++ or whatever.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
Here's more info on the case in Mali

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/23/ebola-mali_n_6038026.html

quote:

Mali's Health Minister Ousmane Kone told state television that the patient in the western town of Kayes was a two-year-old girl who had recently arrived from neighboring Guinea, where the outbreak began.

"The condition of the girl, according to our services, is improving thanks to her rapid treatment," the minister told state television.

A health ministry official, who asked not to be identified, said the girl's mother died in Guinea a few weeks ago and the baby was brought by relatives to the Malian capital Bamako, where she stayed for 10 days in the Bagadadji neighborhood before heading to Kayes.

A ministry statement said the girl, who came from the Guinean town of Kissidougou, was admitted at the Fousseyni Daou hospital in Kayes on Wednesday night, where she was promptly tested for Ebola.

People who came into contact with the patient in Kayes have been identified and placed under watch, the minister said, but he appealed to any person who believed they may have had contact with the girl to step forward.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

DinosaurEggSalad posted:

So am I correct in assuming this Buzzfeed article, which only quotes sources in the Liberian medical establishment, might be a bit overly rosy?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jinamoore/ebola-cases-in-liberia-are-dropping

A bit earlier, but in a word: absolutely.

The Liberian government is basically saying "the Ebola treatment unit beds are empty; therefore, EVD is under control!"

Foreign sources are saying Liberia is up to 50 new cases per day, and that the reason people aren't going to the treatment centers is because they don't want to have to cremate their dead - therefore, traditional burial practices will keep going, and things are going to get much worse.

10 days in Bamako. Oh boy.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

10 days in Bamako. Oh boy.

And it doesn't look to be one of the nicer parts.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

Foreign sources are saying Liberia is up to 50 new cases per day, and that the reason people aren't going to the treatment centers is because they don't want to have to cremate their dead - therefore, traditional burial practices will keep going, and things are going to get much worse.
Well, these traditional burial practices seem to be the main way the virus is being spread, outside of hospitals anyway.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Is the juice actually on the loose in the NYC?

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

Well, these traditional burial practices seem to be the main way the virus is being spread, outside of hospitals anyway.

That and taking care of sick relatives.

This pattern has happened before, early in the epidemic. Aid agencies were actually thinking of spooling down a response because cases were going down down down! In reality people were too scared of the doctors and were staying home, infecting their families.

katlington posted:

Is the juice actually on the loose in the NYC?

MIGF is trolling us from probation.

Possibly. The CDC is probably getting started doing contact tracing just in case, but we're still waiting on the test results.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
he's pozzed up http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/24/nyregion/craig-spencer-is-tested-for-ebola-virus-at-bellevue-hospital-in-new-york-city.html?smid=tw-bna

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It would be amazingly lucky if he didn't infect anyone.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 24, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Welp, hope it was early enough. Dude reported a 103° F fever the day after his subway ride and bowling. He may have been ever so slightly contagious that night, but hopefully no aerosol generating behaviors.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Do we have a donation thread yet for MSF?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

FAUXTON posted:

Welp, hope it was early enough. Dude reported a 103° F fever the day after his subway ride and bowling. He may have been ever so slightly contagious that night, but hopefully no aerosol generating behaviors.

Fairly similar to the woman who took the plane ride and she didn't spread it. This sounds even lower probability than that.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

FAUXTON posted:

A ROUND OF DRINKS ON ME! I HAVE TO LICK EVERY DRINK THOUGH!

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

asdf32 posted:

Fairly similar to the woman who took the plane ride and she didn't spread it. This sounds even lower probability than that.

Vinson had a 99 degree fever. This seems different.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FAUXTON posted:

That said I'm pretty sure there is enough super powered bacteria on the subway to kill any other pathogen that tries to move in on its turf.

redreader posted:

A ROUND OF DRINKS ON ME! I HAVE TO LICK EVERY DRINK THOUGH!

Well he was near Williamsburg.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
CNN fear mongering has only just begun. A case in NY is like their wet dream for stupid housewives.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

So why wasn't a dude who treated Ebola patients in West Africa under some kind of official quarantine for 21 days after he got back? Especially after all this new bullshit with TED?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The stock ticker for PPE maker lakeland industries (NASDAQ:LAKE) is going to go apeshit again tomorrow.

Full disclosure: I don't own any shares of lakeland industries

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Now that it's in NYC:

"Ebolavirus 2014: Saturday Night Fever"

(Maybe I'm dating myself :smith:)

E: Step 25 of new CDC doffing procedure: Head to high density transportation facilities, sweating as profusely as possible, then have intimate contact with your SO / close family contact.

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 24, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Peven Stan posted:

The stock ticker for PPE maker lakeland industries (NASDAQ:LAKE) is going to go apeshit again tomorrow.

It spiked around 3pm already.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
EDIT: N/M

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peven Stan posted:

So happy I sold all my stocks today..by pure dumb luck (it was to rebalance my ira portfolio after doing well on a geared 3x Nasdaq100 ETFs).

Markets going to take a massive poo poo tomorrow (that said Ebola drops made pretty crazy ROIs recently).

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

So when can we start panicking? Am I allowed to start preparing a bug out bag now, or should I wait to see how many infectees the CDC missed?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

E Depois do Adeus posted:

So when can we start panicking? Am I allowed to start preparing a bug out bag now, or should I wait to see how many infectees the CDC missed?

You needed to head for the hills yesterday. RIP

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

gfanikf posted:

So happy I sold all my stocks today..by pure dumb luck (it was to rebalance my ira portfolio after doing well on a geared 3x Nasdaq100 ETFs).

Markets going to take a massive poo poo tomorrow (that said Ebola drops made pretty crazy ROIs recently).

Futures are down <1% so maybe not. :ssh:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Lol if you don't already have one. Sorry about your imminent ebola, chum....p.

e: or just continue on as normal until we see if NY fucks up as bad as we did in Texas.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

thompson posted:

CNN fear mongering has only just begun. A case in NY is like their wet dream for stupid housewives.

The only thing they would want more is a case on a cruise ship near Malaysia

Gonna be so much fun around here with the panicking

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sorry, you already have Ebola.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Vertical Lime posted:

The only thing they would want more is a case on a cruise ship near Malaysia

Gonna be so much fun around here with the panicking

The b roll is making me laugh. I've seen the same ambulance 10 times in maybe a 15 minute session. Nothing breeds panic like lights, sirens, New York, and full on nuclear holocaust suits.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thompson posted:

The b roll is making me laugh. I've seen the same ambulance 10 times in maybe a 15 minute session. Nothing breeds panic like lights, sirens, New York, and full on nuclear holocaust suits.

Axe attack helps too.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/police-shoots-kills-man-ax-queens-article-1.1984914

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Futures are down <1% so maybe not. :ssh:

Eh if last time was any indication it seems some decline is going to happen, especially factoring in that its in NYC and people "thought it was contained."

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Have we killed all the dogs in New York city yet?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

KinkyJohn posted:

Why would it cost 1.5 BILLION dollars to bring a vaccine to market?

Developing drugs are expensive. From hiring all the PhDs and MDs to regulatory issues to the high cost of human trials and the extremely high failure rate.

England Sucks
Sep 19, 2014

by XyloJW
WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE
WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE
WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE
WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE
WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

England Sucks posted:

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE
WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE
WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE
WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE
WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE
Yeah but not from the Ebola

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Nessus posted:

Yeah but not from the Ebola

we're going to die from ebola, in 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

gfanikf posted:

Eh if last time was any indication it seems some decline is going to happen, especially factoring in that its in NYC and people "thought it was contained."

Down yes, but you said "massive poo poo". I'd say there's a 30% chance the market ends down less than 1%, 75% chance the market ends down less than 2% assuming no other bad news beyond this and Amazon's bad quarterly.

• Locked thread