Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Can I ask why you care why you can't use Apple Pay for apps on 5s when you can still use TouchID to use the card attached to your Apple account?

Because the 5s probably still lacks the tiny bits of silicon used to store the generator parameters and generate the single-use transaction tokens that are used in lieu of your credit card number when using Apple Pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

No. 6 posted:

They're probably trying to protect their image. If Apple had just said that it works on any NFC terminal and people go out to whatever restaurant or store and the transaction fails for some oddball reason, people will assume that's a problem with Apple.

By providing a whitelist, Apple ensures that people will have a consistent and good experience with this new feature/service.

Also there are a lot of stores that have NFC capable terminals that are waiting for that dumb MCX rollout to turn them on, but yeah I think this is the overall reason.

libersyber
Jan 15, 2009
Does anyone have problems enabling continuity between iPhone and iPad in 8.1? I have an iPad 3rd gen (wifi) and an iPhone 5s, I can make cellular phone calls from ipad, send and receive texts (I had to enter a code on the phone), but for the love of God I cannot receive any phone call on my iPad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

Because the 5s probably still lacks the tiny bits of silicon used to store the generator parameters and generate the single-use transaction tokens that are used in lieu of your credit card number when using Apple Pay.
No, I'm asking why he *cares* that he can't use Apple Pay to buy apps. The only benefit it gives over just using your Apple account card is the single-use transaction tokens.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

No, I'm asking why he *cares* that he can't use Apple Pay to buy apps. The only benefit it gives over just using your Apple account card is the single-use transaction tokens.

Single-use transaction tokens are a pretty nice benefit, though, especially if Apple Pay expands beyond just paying Apple for apps and gets used as a wider e-commerce payments solution.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I think the bluetooth in my iphone 5s isn't working right. When I try and pair the two the Mac can see the phone but the phone never finds the Mac. I can pair the two only if I initiate from the Mac, and once they're paired I can airdrop from the Mac to the phone but not vice-versa. Handoff also doesn't work with any app and I don't see an Instant Hotspot option, but I can find the phone under the bluetooth menu and connect to "network" on it.

I've already rebooted both devices several times and tried disabling/enabling bluetooth and re-pairing them. Is it possible the bluetooth is broken in a specific way that makes it unable to find other devices or do handoff, but everything else works? Is that something the apple store could test?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Why are you guys trying to pair devices for Handoff? You shouldn't have to do any of that stuff.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
It Just Works.

Bgwin
Apr 23, 2004
Any recommendations for new Iphone 6 wall chargers and a new car charger? I'm upgrading from an Iphone 4 so I severely behind on these accessories.

Bgwin fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 23, 2014

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Just use the same ones you have now?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I have an interesting issue with podcasts. When I have my bluetooth headset on, I get skips in my audio, ONLY with podcasts. Spotify never seems to skip. I have tried apples podcast app, pocket casts and downcast and all of them have this issue with any podcast I listen to. Anyone else hearing this?

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 23, 2014

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I have an interesting issue with podcasts. When I have my bluetooth headset on, I get skips in my audio, ONLY with podcasts. Spotify never seems to skip. I have tried apples podcast app, overcast and downcast and all of them have this issue with any podcast I listen to. Anyone else hearing this?

Sounds like the problem could be with the headset or with Bluetooth connection strength. Have you tried playing through other Bluetooth devices?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Amber Alert posted:

Sounds like the problem could be with the headset or with Bluetooth connection strength. Have you tried playing through other Bluetooth devices?

Does it with all BT devices no matter the connection strength. I've used this headset for awhile now (LG Tone) and only on iOS 8 has it done this.

Edit : testing with a BT speaker I just purchased .. ill report back soon.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 23, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Amber Alert posted:

That wouldn't explain why it only happens with certain audio files.

Maybe an issue with large files or maybe bitrate?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

That wouldn't explain why it only happens with certain audio files.

Maybe an issue with large files or maybe bitrate?

So far it is playing just fine on my BT speaker. Perhaps it is an issue with the pairing of the device, as the headset and my car were paired under 8.0.x when it had known issues with BT. Perhaps I need to delete the association and pair again. Really odd.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

1997 posted:

Just use the same ones you have now?

But if you get 2.1 amp ones they'll charge faster!

If you really need too it's hard to go wrong with Belkin, in the sense that you can be pretty sure it won't catch on fire.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Dogen posted:

But if you get 2.1 amp ones they'll charge faster!

If you really need too it's hard to go wrong with Belkin, in the sense that you can be pretty sure it won't catch on fire.

I use a belkin car to USB adapter as well. The performance is much better than the $1.50 POS I had before, I would recommend spending a little bit more for quality.

As for cords, check out Amazon basics, monoprice, and some other aftermarket ones. The problem with cheap being the electronics in lighting cables are proprietary and expensive.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If you happen to have a stupid amount of USB crap to charge and want to save on power plugs there's USB power bricks like this. No clue how safe it is but it hasn't burned down my house or hotels I've stayed at (yet).

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So to me Inbox looks stupid. Tell me how it's not stupid?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Most people don't have it. Therefore, genius.

Bgwin posted:

Any recommendations for new Iphone 6 wall chargers and a new car charger? I'm upgrading from an Iphone 4 so I severely behind on these accessories.

Nowadays people use the ones that aren't bound by their cords. For example, I have a Belkin dual USB car charger that just accepts USB chargers. Now I'll never have to replace that accessory ever. Same goes for wall chargers, but I just use the supplied Apple one.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Why are you guys trying to pair devices for Handoff? You shouldn't have to do any of that stuff.

I don't really care about handoff, but I'd like airdrop to work. Unfortunately neither do, nor does instant hotspot, and I assumed that it might be related to the fact my iphone can't see my mac. Are you saying they're unrelated and the problem is elsewhere?

Darling Octopus
Nov 19, 2006

So since updating to ios 8.1 sometimes when I try to swipe upwards on the lock screen, the touch screen is unresponsive. Has anyone else had this issue?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Ninja Rope posted:

I don't really care about handoff, but I'd like airdrop to work. Unfortunately neither do, nor does instant hotspot, and I assumed that it might be related to the fact my iphone can't see my mac. Are you saying they're unrelated and the problem is elsewhere?

I only ask because I've done it myself, but is your iphone connected to the same wifi network?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
So inbox is just mailbox huh

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Yeah, it's nothing special; certainly no reason to move away from Mailbox.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Thank god, I've been waiting for the tech industry to disrupt my email experience

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Someone give me their invite :(

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

noirstronaut posted:

Someone give me their invite :(

I know someone who was invited after emailing inbox@google.com yesterday. He didn't get any extra invites, though, just one for himself. I don't think people have any invites to give.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I got an invite by emailing them yesterday. It seems a lot worse than normal gmail.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

the kawaiiest posted:

I know someone who was invited after emailing inbox@google.com yesterday. He didn't get any extra invites, though, just one for himself. I don't think people have any invites to give.

Yeah, I did a dumb and didn't email them until this morning.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It would be really cool if there was a setting so wifi calling is enabled only when cellular service is unavailable.

That way I could still use call handoff when I'm at home with good LTE and wifi available, without having to dig into settings to disable wifi calling.

It doesn't seem that that would be difficult to implement.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Darling Octopus posted:

So since updating to ios 8.1 sometimes when I try to swipe upwards on the lock screen, the touch screen is unresponsive. Has anyone else had this issue?

Yes, in 8.0 -8.0.2. It's intermittent so I'm not sure if it's gone on 8.1 but gonna guess no.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Sexy:

Darling Octopus posted:

Yeah, I've seen that. Happened on my 6 before I upgraded, though.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

noirstronaut posted:

Most people don't have it. Therefore, genius.

Well the model clearly worked with Google+ so therefore...

Seriously though, is this system really capable of meaningfully pulling out the most relevant part of e-mails or what? Users?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Well the model clearly worked with Google+ so therefore...

Seriously though, is this system really capable of meaningfully pulling out the most relevant part of e-mails or what? Users?

The system is possible (Mailbox does it; they were bought by Dropbox) so it's just Google cashing in on that, mostly. They do need a way to make it seem currently, though, so throw that in the the mix and - ta da - Inbox.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

noirstronaut posted:

Yeah, I did a dumb and didn't email them until this morning.

Ah. Well I read a review and it doesn't look that great to me so if I get an invite before you I'll PM you the link or code or whatever it is. You can have it.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
I think invites are tied to a specific gmail address, so you gots to get yer own.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm going snowboarding in January and it'd be handy to be able to bring my phone along to take photos and videos. Can anyone recommend a good iPhone 6 case that is water/snow proof in case I drop it or fall? A wrist strap built in to the case plus a stylus holder so I don't have to take my gloves off would be very useful, too.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Sobriquet posted:

I think invites are tied to a specific gmail address, so you gots to get yer own.

They aren't. It says at the bottom of the invite that you can forward the email to a friend if you don't want it. All they check for on sign in is whether you have the one-time use code email in your inbox.

I like that they cribbed some of the mailbox features. The layout is pretty straight forward, and reminders are cool. I really wish google would add combined inbox support. Mail does it, mailbox does it. So now I only use the Gmail app for work and mailbox for my multiple personal accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

the kawaiiest posted:

Ah. Well I read a review and it doesn't look that great to me so if I get an invite before you I'll PM you the link or code or whatever it is. You can have it.

Thank you! :dance:

I imagine I'll be able to mess around with it on a minor scale with my @gmail account and by the time it comes to GApps, I'll have enough invites.