Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Silentman0 posted:

That game is the worst case of a game being shocking, not scary. It's literally nothing but you trying to stop jump scares.

Who cares, it's a legit resource management game anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Silentman0 posted:

That game is the worst case of a game being shocking, not scary. It's literally nothing but you trying to stop jump scares.

Also the dev is advertising the sequel on furaffinity, which is pretty :laffo:

The game can be pretty tense but still

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Silentman0 posted:

Who gives a poo poo, it's effective at what it aims to do

Improbable Lobster posted:

haha

The sequel doesn't look that great, the "upgraded" ones seem kinda lovely and not as scary as the broken down, aged ones

edit: yessss I am so glad they got the fox scare, that's my favorite reaction one because everyone is always like "WTF is that...AAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 23, 2014

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

The game can be pretty tense but still

Captain Invictus posted:

Who gives a poo poo, it's effective at what it aims to do

People who have taste.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Silentman0 posted:

People who have taste.

So why do you care

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The whole point of the game, like they straight up said, is the atmosphere and dread it makes with this weirdly helpless feeling you get unable to do anything but man cameras. The whole 'this is the job' thing they talked about is what adds to it because when you see your power near gone and it's 4 am and you know literally no matter what you have to sit there until either 6 am or you die, it makes things tense. The jumpscares aren't the point, they're punishment for failing at resource management. If you want to avoid them...get good?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Dias posted:

So why do you care

True, I sure wouldn't be watching these clowns if I had taste.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
On YT comments: people saying this is a poo poo non-game all about jump scares; praising P.T.

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

Oh man, this is gonna be great.

Silentman0 posted:

True, I sure wouldn't be watching these clowns if I had taste.

Pretty much all of us tipped our cards with :10bux:. I still totally gasped from gleeful surprise when I saw the thumbnail for the newest shitstorm vid though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dias posted:

On YT comments: people saying this is a poo poo non-game all about jump scares; praising P.T.

I'd like to ask some of those people how P.T is less of a non-game than Gone Home is.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Both Gone Home and PT are good games about finding stuff in houses.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Both Gone Home and PT are good games about finding stuff in houses.

I agree - just so no one thinks I was slamming either game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Spiritus Nox posted:

I agree - just so no one thinks I was slamming either game.

Not knocking the game either, just pointing out the obvious: YT comments are dumb.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Silentman0 posted:

People who have taste.
The irony of a DOTA player saying this is pretty amazing

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

:ironicat:

so many layers goin on

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Haha wow they almost beat Five Nights at Freddy's, well done guys. They accidentally lucked into having a good strategy because they misunderstood how the fox dude works (they assumed that all of them could run, and having the door closed when the fox started running is what saved them on the third night). :allears:

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Is there a manga about shitposting that you could tell me about? nah i'm just joshin' i love you man

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Silentman0 posted:

Is there a manga about shitposting that you could tell me about?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So what I'm gathering is, I probably should read whatever that is from.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction, a manga about everyday life after a failed alien invasion with an Independence Day mothership silently hovering overhead

It's by Inio Asano, the creator of Goodnight Punpun, one of the most douche chillingest manga ever

So yes

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
5naf seems like a generic slenderman-esque horror game with resource management tacked on. Which is fine but I don't understand why it has this giant crazy fanbase all of a sudden. I feel like it's only a matter of time before some kid beats his friend to death with a duck because "I saw it in the video game!" like slender.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pewdiepie and Markiplier made videos about it "before it got popular" and then it got popular so basically that's all it needed

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm not sure I'd call Five Nights "generic".

It's not like there's a whole lot of JPEG-based resource management/horror games out there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To people trying to be "witty" on the internet, all it needs to qualify as generic is jump scares. As Pat said many times in the video, the game is pretty tense even without them and the sound design is also pretty good so obviously the jump scares are not the only scary part of it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It's basically Night Trap with furries

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

It's basically Night Trap with furries

And a depressing lack of Codename: Mike.

e: Even terrified out of their minds they always find time to bust on woolie

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 23, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gamespot's doing their Extralife marathon right now, Mary Kish is on stage 5 of FNAF, and man oh man it becomes a crazy management game once Freddy enters the fray.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 23, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I can't stomach this game for reasons

Knowing that the thumbnails gonna be randomly showing up on my youtube feed is gonna kill me :argh:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

e: Even terrified out of their minds they always find time to bust on woolie

pretty sure thats a violation of youtubes tos

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Well I hope Liam's happy now.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Matt! Knowing how much you and others love classic Apogee games here, I'm posting this here after alerting the Steam and GOG threads:

Hooooly poo poo. I might just have to jump on this come payday:

https://3drealms.com/catalog/3d-realms-anthology_50/

Every Apogee/3D Realms game sans Max Payne and Prey for $20. DRM-Free digital download. Even has a bonus soundtrack.

I think this is the closest I will ever get to a Steam Anthology I have literally been waiting YEARS for.

Edit: That price is only good for 48 hours, but there's still 30+ hours left. I only know this because I just bought it. Hop on it ASAP since it will go up to $40.

Edit #2: Registration and payment was painless. Looks like you can download the games individually or the whole anthology at once (I did the latter because I am soooo saving multiple copies of this). The anthology is a ~500MB download of a single .exe and the soundtrack is a ~800MB .zip file. The anthology unpacked is 907MB. Looks like they are all pre-configured with the latest version of DOSBox, which is 0.74 (no surprise there).

The reason the soundtrack size is so big is that it comes in three formats: MP3, FLAC, and 24-bit WAV files. Cool!

It just installed and ran fine under Windows 8.1. The launcher has all of the games in mini GOG-like game boxes with a vertical slider on the right-hand side to scroll down to the rest of the games. Going to test them out later.

Edit for Trip Report Testing:

Oh God. After testing out Bio-Menace, Major Stryker, Wolf 3D, and Wacky Wheels, my nostalgia hard-on could cut diamonds. The music, the graphics, everything... :gizz:

All the games I've tried so far require zero configuration. They launch in full screen and sound and play beautifully. I think even Wolf3D is the fully un-altered version that Apogee used to re-sell back in the day too (the version in the id Anthology on Steam censored out some screens in the "Read This! section and took out the Aardwolf icon in the infamous maze in Episode 2 or 3). Some games have the option to view the game's manual right from the launcher and some don't. The sub-folder for the anthology under Program Files has the game neatly organized in their own folders.

This is a dream come true. Probably the best $20 I've spent in years.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 24, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Well, this latest DS episode was bountiful in information. Pat never taught Woolie how to double estus, and Woolie takes his entire right hand off the controller to switch on the hotkey inventory. That explains every death when he dies trying to switch to Estus.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tae posted:

Well, this latest DS episode was bountiful in information. Pat never taught Woolie how to double estus, and Woolie takes his entire right hand off the controller to switch on the hotkey inventory. That explains every death when he dies trying to switch to Estus.

Also Pat never taught him how to parry. Or how to be aggressive without wildly flailing. Or how to actually roll through attacks. Liam should have helped Woolie through the DLC so he can learn how to be a crazy cool guy because it's honestly a lot more fun and makes a lot of the DLC bosses much easier.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 24, 2014

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Are you guys finally getting about what I've been saying with pat being way too defensive.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Great Shitstorm tonight.

"What's that?! Oh it's just girls."

"THE SCARIEST THING OF ALL"

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

White Day is completely bonkers as hell. Too bad they probably won't be playing more of it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Is this the one where Liam destroys Pat's mouse?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Yes you can hear it flying but they cut the video before the actual shitstorm.

E: holy poo poo what the gently caress is wrong with pats taskbar. That is so many things.

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 24, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
It took me four rewinds to figure out what freaked Liam out so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
As good as the mouse destruction was, Liam opening a door and running away with his back to it was my highlight.