Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Boatswain posted:

Well ISIS is commanded by experienced terrorists and formed military officers and they behead people on TV, aspires to genocide, butchers villagers and operate a semi-functional state. Are you kidding me?

Anyway, this is a stupid derail. #Gamergate is disgusting but comparing them to ISIS is ludicrous.
I was a bit concerned that someone would come out and throw out the baby with the bathwater because someone always freaks out when you mention terrorism. I should have used the ebola metaphor I came up with, but you already shut down too hard to be receptive to the forest because you're mad about the first tree you didn't like, however I thought about it a couple times and still went "nope, these guys are acting like terrorists - they're literally threatening people with beheadings and other physical harm even if there aren't any examples of them following through with it yet.

And apologies doctorfrog I don't disagree that there's a lot to be optimistic about. I just don't feel that being optimistic means that one ought to rest on their laurels - or that continuing to shine light on something foul, is somehow malicious.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

coyo7e posted:

And apologies doctorfrog I don't disagree that there's a lot to be optimistic about. I just don't feel that being optimistic means that one ought to rest on their laurels.
I appreciate that, and I sort of started things out with an air of "prove to me this is still an issue," which I hate to admit might have been part of my mindset. But some of the value of online debate is being called on your bullshit and trying to learn from it rather than double down on your half-thought-out argument.

There's that Ghandi quote "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win." If this is applicable at all to this situation, we might be in the "they fight you," stage. It's not a good stage, but hopefully it leads to the good stage, perhaps even verifying its inevitability.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 24, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
:glomp:

The Ghandhi quote is entirely true, but as my potentially-upsetting terrorism metaphor was attempting to point out - if you take your finger off your shoelaces while almost finished tying the knot, the structure can and will probably fall apart.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Also, whatever happened to N'Gai Croal? I haven't heard from him in a dog's age. Is he still doing his thing? I would have assumed he'd be out there acting as a pundit. Or did his private enterprise (I think he became some kind of professional game-consultant) make him reign in his habit of being super-vocal about social issues in gaming?

edit: after looking him up, I found this article he recently linked, which was pretty interesting. http://ellaguro.blogspot.com/2014/09/on-gamers-and-identity.html?m=1 (LOL @ the chart graphic - the first thing I noticed was "Steven Tortilla" in the middle). Also "Doritogate" :laugh:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 24, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

coyo7e posted:

I try to engage them in a civil discussion in a public forum, and then when their friends and family step in to defend them via the "they have black friends"-I mean "they're a really nice person when you get to know them" defense, I sit back and continue being politely and backing up my poo poo with facts, and eventually the douchehat flies off the handle and embarrass and upset the people who were defending them - just like the guy who sent me an internet-tough-guy threat yesterday - he ended up kind of shocking everyone who'd been on his side and made my point for me.

edit: you don't "up the rhetoric" you bait them out into the light and then let it burn them. Sometimes it might even involve calling the cops if they're actually monsters.

Patrick Klepek did just that a while ago when he was gung-ho about internet trolls and it was probably one of the best things he has done as an industry writer. The guy basically realized that he was being a piece of poo poo online and started to rethink himself. I'm sure there are a lot of people like that out there that are self-aware enough. A shame he hasn't tried anything similar with this latest junk, it would have been more effective than complaining about everything in his morning shows.

Edit:

coyo7e posted:

edit: after looking him up, I found this article he recently linked, which was pretty interesting. http://ellaguro.blogspot.com/2014/09/on-gamers-and-identity.html?m=1 (LOL @ the chart graphic - the first thing I noticed was "Steven Tortilla" in the middle). Also "Doritogate" :laugh:
I think that Rab Florence article doesn't get brought up enough. It's a pretty important look at the state of the industry when it comes to games writing.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 24, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
:catstare:
Holy poo poo. What if, say, someone came by and keyed that dude's car every day? Would he just be like "welp, obviously my fault for parking there!"

Right now in this moment of internet culture warrior-ism, I am so loving glad I didn't follow my initial post-high-school :spergin: and graduate from my Software Engineering major (I went into netops because I'd rather do lots of different things than work on one small thing, all day, every day,) and go on to make videogames. I even accidentally ended up living most of my life in and near in a town that's a bit of a game-dev hotbed, but I don't want to be any kind of public face in this industry right now.

quote:

to: ********
Hey *********, appreciate you agreeing to this.

Let’s start at the beginning. Your tweet was [redacted, but the tweet basically “go kill yourself”] Why such a violent image? To gain his attention?

to: Patrick
Apologies if I don’t respond right away, I’m doing a bit of studying for mid-terms right now.

Well, I don’t view it as entirely violent. Maybe he could use potassium cyanide and a bottle of Ambien. It was just a suggestion to end his own life so that the earth might be spared his insufferable and stubborn existence. The [redacted] part was not necessarily to evoke the slapstick nature of a circus performer’s act; more to illustrate ineptitude on a grand scale such that a spectacle is created.

I must admit that gaining his attention was a goal, one which I didn’t obtain unfortunately. I have a feeling this has something to do with the language barrier, or perhaps merely the deluge of comments he received all of which were unwanted and unread I’m sure. Had he responded to me individually I would have continued to harangue him until blocked, so this was probably a wise course of action for him. Indeed, it is often my own most common reaction when faced with internet harassment. “Don’t feed the trolls!”

to: ********
No problem—no rush. OK, so you don’t like the guy. What if he actually did kill himself?

to: Patrick
I wouldn’t feel responsible. Bullying and harassment are not matters to be taken lightly or in jest. I should know. However, the “cyberbullying” phenomenon is completely hyperbolic in my opinion. Imagine the “older street tough” of lore taking your lunch money every day, or to be a woman and have a male coworker slap your rear end or make other unwelcome advances. These are serious issues that have a real impact on a person’s life and psyche.
Persecution complex, much?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 24, 2014

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Gamers bullied in highschool now are the bullies themselves now that they have a sense of power.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Those crazy responses read like a "The Matrix" self insert fanfiction.
A learned, dark and brooding antihero who can view the truth of this world can save us through twitter harassment if only we allow them to.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Gamers bullied in highschool now are the bullies themselves now that they have a sense of power.
I was a really BIG kid growing up (not fat or chubby, more "oh you wanna play football? Okay you're noseguard because you outweigh and have a head over everyone else by a great deal"), and an enormous smart-rear end. I would literally rile people up to the point where they'd swing on me - and then Stand My Ground. it took me 20+ years to look back on how I'd always been bigger, I'd literally never lost a fight with another kid (I did use a great big older girl with a crush on me once, as a shield from a high school kid who wanted to kick my rear end for harassing him every day due to his nickname of "BJ" :catstare: ), and how my own smart-assed-ness was simply writing checks that my body could handle.. Then one day I turned that outlook on its side and thought about it from the view of the kid I half-again outweighed who got so upset by my harassment that I was forced to throttle him against a wall for talking poo poo back to me and :downsrim: the wheels loving fell right off, and I was horrified and ashamed of what kind of person I'd been at that age. I have no idea how many hours of meditation and drug trips it took before some random person saying "Hey man, you're really being an rear end to that guy -is that necessary?" rang loud enough in my head to be an alarm bell - I can't even say when it happened. Just one day I went "I never lost a fight in school (but ran away and deflected the ones i didn't think I could win,) is there something wrong with this perspective?"

It's the easiest thing in the world to see oneself as the most-valuable opinion and the most-persecuted person you're aware of, but a lot of the time for people in a position of privilege, due to the size, race, gender, economic status... It's the most-threatening idea one can entertain.'

Recognizing others performing these same mental gymnastics in order to justify their stance and cement their status as "the underdog" in [every conflict online and politically in today's society] is kind of shocking and heartbreaking. It's probably been that way forever, I'm just grateful that I had the luck/opportunity/personal-bad-choices to get a look in the funhouse mirror and see my real self looking back.

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Those crazy responses read like a "The Matrix" self insert fanfiction.
A learned, dark and brooding antihero who can view the truth of this world can save us through twitter harassment if only we allow them to.
Did you see the bit where they've turned "redpill" into a verb in those Dark Enlightenment screeds?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 24, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Also, whatever happened to N'Gai Croal? I haven't heard from him in a dog's age. Is he still doing his thing? I would have assumed he'd be out there acting as a pundit. Or did his private enterprise (I think he became some kind of professional game-consultant) make him reign in his habit of being super-vocal about social issues in gaming?

He runs one of those consultancy companies that do fake internal reviews and market analysis. In other words, much like Jeff Green, you will probably never hear from him again in a professional capacity.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hakkesshu posted:

He runs one of those consultancy companies that do fake internal reviews and market analysis. In other words, much like Jeff Green, you will probably never hear from him again in a professional capacity.
That's exactly what I suspected. Good on him! I just miss his slightly-pompous way of writing and speaking because the black gamer perspective is another one which doesn't get much air-time, and he was kinda my Cornell West of videogames. :\

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

coyo7e posted:

I try to engage them in a civil discussion in a public forum, and then when their friends and family step in to defend them via the "they have black friends"-I mean "they're a really nice person when you get to know them" defense, I sit back and continue being politely and backing up my poo poo with facts, and eventually the douchehat flies off the handle and embarrass and upset the people who were defending them - just like the guy who sent me an internet-tough-guy threat yesterday - he ended up kind of shocking everyone who'd been on his side and made my point for me.

edit: you don't "up the rhetoric" you bait them out into the light and then let it burn them. Sometimes it might even involve calling the cops if they're actually monsters.

See, I think that'll work on most people, but I feel like we're gonna reach a point (if we haven't already) where the only people left are the pathetic, helpless Elliot Rodger types who are too unreasonable to be reasoned with, too shameless to be shamed and impervious to peer pressure because they see themselves as peerless, even within their own stunted little cliques. What then?

"Upping the rhetoric" was in reference to where the conversation seems to have gone in the last few days: that is, focusing on getting big media outlets to acknowledge and condemn all this horeshit, not just as a way of confronting the perpetrators but as a way to increase mainstream awareness of the issues and attitudes that inform GG so that people can challenge or at least identify them within their own social circles. It'll be impossible to keep all these people from holding repugnant views but we might at least be able to prevent them from shooting up an auditorium or whatever other insane schemes might culminate from this whole ordeal.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Hakkesshu posted:

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Jeff actually works under N'gai's consultancy company.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

kuddles posted:

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Jeff actually works under N'gai's consultancy company.

I did not know that! It seems to be the new community manager in terms of being a logical career path progression for game journos.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Right behind "sandwich artist", yeah.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wonder how much longer Gamergate will be in the spotlight and clogging up literally every thread about video games ever on the internet.

I'm not saying it's not something that should or shouldn't be discussed, but this probably isn't the place to be talking about it, this thread specifically seems fairly united in mindset about the whole thing.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I like it. It's the only thread I've seen where people can just chat about how it's going without it erupting into a shitfight, or a bunch of people complaining that it's a derail without actually offering anything else to talk about (hint hint).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's clearly such a hot button topic so maybe it deserves its own thread. I nominate you, Forums User Tempo 119, to make it. Be useful!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I wonder how much longer Gamergate will be in the spotlight and clogging up literally every thread about video games ever on the internet.
I'd say until anything else interesting actually happens in this boring-rear end year for video games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You can probably imagine why it doesn't already have its own thread.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You can probably imagine why it doesn't already have its own thread.
I am fully aware why, and know that every single other gamergate thread has either been gassed or are honeypots. But does that mean this thread should be the tent city for the homeless gamergate discussion?

TetsuoTW posted:

I'd say until anything else interesting actually happens in this boring-rear end year for video games.
Bayonetta 2 happened and I haven't heard much discussion on that, hopefully some podcasts talk about it soon because it looks really really fun and I want to hear more details.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Captain Invictus posted:

I am fully aware why, and know that every single other gamergate thread has either been gassed or are honeypots. But does that mean this thread should be the tent city for the homeless gamergate discussion?

People are talking about it because that's what's being talked about on a lot of the podcasts people are listening to? The conversation kicked back up again in this thread because of some other dude asking why people are still talking about it, even. It's not hard to parse.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Hakkesshu posted:

It's a shame (for us) when that happens. Rich Gallup showed up on the Giant Bomb premium show a year ago to promote a Game of Thrones-themed Facebook game and it was just sad. One of the things I like about Giant Bomb is their editorial staff has been so constant for the last six years. I feel like the crew there is really all-in and passionate about games criticism.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

But does that mean this thread should be the tent city for the homeless gamergate discussion?
You clearly didn't read any of those threads if you think what's going on in here qualifies as the homeless gg discussion. Everyone in here is relatively sane and civil.

quote:

Bayonetta 2 happened and I haven't heard much discussion on that, hopefully some podcasts talk about it soon because it looks really really fun and I want to hear more details.
It sounds awesome, but it's also on Wii U so welp.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Edit: Whoops, wrong thread.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

TetsuoTW posted:

You clearly didn't read any of those threads if you think what's going on in here qualifies as the homeless gg discussion. Everyone in here is relatively sane and civil.

He means "homeless" in the sense that people are talking about GG in this thread because they can't/don't want to talk about it anywhere else, which may or may not be true.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's really tiring seeing it absolutely everywhere I go online. It's everywhere on Twitter, it's one of the top trending things on Facebook, a bunch of threads on here are like dry forest beds waiting for the lit gamergate cigarette to fall upon them, hell I even get messages on Steam from people being like "you hear about that gamergate thing", both for and against. It's inescapable. Don't think I am unaware or unsympathetic to the people being harassed and receiving death threats, I've condemned it, argued against it, made my position known, etc. It's a loving travesty that the rape, death, and harassment threats continue to this day, but I'm not sure what else there is that can be done by average joes now. Gamergate is considered a poison by a lot of people now, especially the general public who only know of it as "the thing harassing that actor lady".

But please, continue, I'm sure there are plenty who read this thread who have somehow avoided GG for the last 2+ months that will have mindsets changed by posts about it. At this point it's just repeating the same poo poo as usual. For a month or so I was pretty passionate about it myself but it's just an exhausting thing. I know that's what they're counting on, to wear opponents of GG down, but at this point I just don't have the energy to bicker about it anymore.

Randallteal posted:

It's a shame (for us) when that happens. Rich Gallup showed up on the Giant Bomb premium show a year ago to promote a Game of Thrones-themed Facebook game and it was just sad. One of the things I like about Giant Bomb is their editorial staff has been so constant for the last six years. I feel like the crew there is really all-in and passionate about games criticism.
Rich Gallup's professional life for the last six years or so has been a cavalcade of depressing disasters. We're gonna take the world by storm with the FART CAT APP, you'll see guys :unsmith:

TetsuoTW posted:

...Because most everyone here seems to be in agreement. Granted I'm skipping a ton of it because diatribes written about gamergate outweigh the contents of the library of congress by now

He means "homeless" in the sense that people are talking about GG in this thread because they can't/don't want to talk about it anywhere else, which may or may not be true.
Exactly this, I know of at least 3 GG threads that got gassed and the current one in GBS(granted, it's GBS so of course it'll be horrible) is a probation honeypot

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 24, 2014

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Eh, that sort of posits that the only reason to discuss something is to change minds. I'm really heartened by this thread's attitude specifically, even if it seems like everyone is more or less on the same page. I can understand if you or anyone is sick of hearing about it but it is the most significant cultural issue in games for years and it's been brewing forever. It's natural for people who are passionate about the medium to want to discuss it at length.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I guess. I just feel like the same points have been posted in the past in this thread which makes me feel like the current one is far more circular than it actually probably is

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I kinda feel the same way, in that yeah we've been around this bush over and over again already and it's getting both tiring and tiresome, but on the other hand if we're sick of this poo poo, imagine what the poor bastards on the receiving end of it feel like. This is really just the breaking of a wave that's been rolling up for years. The name might fade, but the phenomenon (well, collection of phenomena really) isn't going anywhere. We're going to have to do one of two things - either harden up and find some way of dealing with these assholes, or harden ourselves to the idea that this is just how things are.

On the other hand, as far as this thread is concerned I think we're all more or less on the same side, and the other side will most likely never see anything we post. Then again, it behooves us to remember this is a real thing happening to real people, and to forget that would be frankly shameful.

Basically it's all hosed up and there are no good choices. There are more moral choices, but not really good ones.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That is my point though. I recognize it is 100% hosed, but there is nothing I can do about it beyond offer a counter argument to antagonistic Facebook posts and such, but at the same time a lot of that is wasted effort because they are never going to understand the argument unless it is from a victim. And half the time they say that they are making it up. It's just lovely. Nowadays I drop an article link or two and be on my way.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Most of the antagonism I've seen is from people literally attacking the actual victims of this poo poo, so I'm not sure if your point stands on its own legs as to how "only a victim" can affect them.

I am sorry that it was brought into your sandbox - would you care to bring up a more interesting and topical debate? Because there haven't been many interesting games coming out (Shadows of Mordor is nerfed for the only platform I can afford it on, and I don't think the new CoD came out yet, and I can't think of any other interesting games coming out in the next couple months offhand - the new Far Cry?)

Just gonna drop a couple links and scoot now ;)

TetsuoTW posted:

Basically it's all hosed up and there are no good choices. There are more moral choices, but not really good ones.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 24, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I know you're not looking for an answer to your question but Bayonetta 2 came out, like, a few hours ago. Alien Isolation and Evil Within just came out, Smash 3DS has been out for a little bit and the Wii U version will be out soon enough. You're probably not a fighting game dude but the upcoming Guilty Gear game is ridiculously, undeniably pretty. I'm sure I'm forgetting lots of obvious poo poo I don't care about... Far Cry, Sunset Overdrive, whatever.

EDIT: D4! Someone has to have bought an Xbone at some point, maybe?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

That is my point though. I recognize it is 100% hosed, but there is nothing I can do about it beyond offer a counter argument to antagonistic Facebook posts and such, but at the same time a lot of that is wasted effort because they are never going to understand the argument unless it is from a victim. And half the time they say that they are making it up. It's just lovely. Nowadays I drop an article link or two and be on my way.
But the real benefit in the ongoing conversation, and I speak from personal experience, isn't in "converting" the "enemy", it's in the people on the sidelines. I know how goddamn stupid this is going to sound and make me sound, but LF was that for me in some ways. There were some effortposts in there about gender, race, and privilege that would never have won over a Tea Partier or Slopgut Tinyface and Discount Count Orlok, but actually made me rethink my position and ideas. I had a couple of years in my early 20s when I was basically one badly timed blog post away from becoming an MRA, too; I mellowed a good way well before LF, but even by then I was still leaning toward the "they're only words you loving oversensitive human being" side. If you find the right forum, you'll almost certainly even find me making that literal argument in discussions on racial epithets and the censorship thereof. But the more I read and heard from people who understood, to varying degrees, the idea of privilege and whatnot, the more I gained an appreciation for it and kind of came around to it.

Basically the point of continuing in the general sense is that people like me exist on this issue right now. There are people who can be won over, who are open to learning and understanding. You'll never win the radicals, but you can win the observers. Which is why I'm torn about continuing the conversation, such as it is, in this thread - sure, all of us who post are mostly on the same page. But the people who post in the thread aren't the only people that read it (or at least we can't presume we are).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

I know you're not looking for an answer to your question but Bayonetta 2 came out, like, a few hours ago. Alien Isolation and Evil Within just came out, Smash 3DS has been out for a little bit and the Wii U version will be out soon enough. You're probably not a fighting game dude but the upcoming Guilty Gear game is ridiculously, undeniably pretty. I'm sure I'm forgetting lots of obvious poo poo I don't care about... Far Cry, Sunset Overdrive, whatever.

EDIT: D4! Someone has to have bought an Xbone at some point, maybe?
For real, thanks. I haven't heard of many games coming out this season and it's been getting frustrating - I'm spending my xbox $$$ on fishing lures and gas, instead. :unsmith:

Alien Isolation seems.. Questionable? Most Alien franchise games I've played were decidedly not-good. (AvP and AvP Gold were the exception but the multiplayer never took off - marine campaign as as scary as the first Condemned though, easily.. I used to make my roomate sick by sprinting down a tunnel in ap) I've heard a couple reviewers talk about it on casts, but it seems as though they are not super-enthused, and I can't afford "not amazing" right now, unless it's got a ridic amount of multiplayer replayability - for the first time inyears I'm genuinely interested in COD because it's been a couple gens since I played it and I am sure i could spend a hundred+ hours playing it this winter.

Far Cry 3 was tits, despite the amazingly bad story, and I'm hoping to snatch it immediately -but the multi in FC3 was pretty tacked-on co-op garbage, and I don't have high hopes.

I dunno what sunset overdrive is, sounds like a racing game, thus I am not interested. :smith:

Not gonna buy any nintendo games or devices for the foreseeable future, so smash and poo poo is done.

This year has been odd for me because I've spent the entire year WANTING to buy a new console and even being able to afford to do so (maybe even without trading in my limited edition R2D2 xbox360!) and therw'es just not been enough games on them to give a poo poo... And then I recall that I got my 360 like 3 or 4 years after release if I'm being honest... And how my original XBox was years-old from a pawn shop - and connected to the internet via a literal dial-up modem on the handful of times I tried.. :gonk:

I kinda have this hunch I'm just not going to be interested enough in or want to invest the money in a PS4 or an XBone for at least another year, possibly a couple. It's not like all my XBLA games are going anywhere, and I certainly never beat most of them..!

edit: the only thing I've heard about Bayonetta is how it's a feminist game so :downsrim: (although now that I heard that perspective I may go back and check out the first - which I'd assumed was genericnearly-naked-chick-fighter-game-#1000)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Edit: gently caress it, bickering isn't worth it

Here's something not gamergate related: today's idle thumbs was one of the best they've done in a while! If you've been skipping IT recently, this one is really strong with a five person cast. I might very well be sold on alien isolation after hearing it has tenish hours of quality content. And 80 Days sounds super good, but I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, not an IOS device, I can only hope that it gets brought to android devices.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 24, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

coyo7e posted:

I dunno what sunset overdrive is, sounds like a racing game, thus I am not interested. :smith:
I hadn't actually looked at Sunset Overdrive until right now. It seems like it could be cool, like a combination of Dead Rising, Jet Set Radio, and Borderlands (with fewer memes).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmRR6MnS6dc

quote:

edit: the only thing I've heard about Bayonetta is how it's a feminist game so :downsrim: (although now that I heard that perspective I may go back and check out the first - which I'd assumed was genericnearly-naked-chick-fighter-game-#1000)
Bayonetta was loving amazing. Played real well, wasn't nearly as leery as it could've been, and had some of the most amazing depictions of angels I've ever seen. I loved the hell out of that game, despite how much people kept drawing parallels to DMC (which I never could really get).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I was thinking the same thing: even though I have no interest in any of the games they discussed, this is the most entertaining Idle Thumbs in quite a while.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TetsuoTW posted:

I hadn't actually looked at Sunset Overdrive until right now. It seems like it could be cool, like a combination of Dead Rising, Jet Set Radio, and Borderlands (with fewer memes).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmRR6MnS6dc
Whoa so it's Brink with fourth-wall-breaking humor? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I am not all that excited about Far Cry 4. I really like that all the main games have been very different experiences so far, even though they all had their notable flaws. That seems to end with Far Cry 4, which looks like it builds on everything from FC3.

I fear it'll be another Ubisoft franchise where they continue to make good games, but in which the spark of ingenuity has faded.

• Locked thread