Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Alright well you know how to get at me, hit me up on Line, see you at the former presidential palace around 1PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah, old people sometimes rule. Barely a couple months after I got here I ended up sitting in the park one day listening to an old man tell me about what it was like being in the bombing of Matsu in 1958. Unfortunately my Mandarin was comparatively garbage at the time so I probably missed a lot, but what I did get was super fascinating and about a subject us crackers don't normally get to hear about.

Then there's one of our "doormen" who came over from the mainland in 49 and is of the firm belief that there will be a war between Taiwan and China within our lifetimes - and considering the "us" in that conversation included him, we're talking like 10, 15 years tops.

Once I was in a cab in Taipei and the driver was an older guy who told me we're in a modern day San Guo between China, Russia and the US. I asked which country was wei, shu, and wu and he said China was Wei cause they're too smart/aggressive for their own good and it's gonna bite them in the rear end.

That was an interesting conversation cause my teachers in school always said you had to study Chinese history to get in deep conversations with chinese people and it was the first time that actually rung true.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
https://www.facebook.com/events/782469245125103/

Halloween: Resurrection next weekend at red square in Ximending. If you don't have a costume you can rent one at about the same part of Ximen. Everyone should come to this because it is loving awesome.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Did my good deed for the night. Almost ran over a handbag on my way home, so I stop to move it out of the way of traffic (in a poorly lit area right where scooters drive). Thankfully, the owner of the garage where I stopped in front of is pulling the shutters, so I get his attention with a Scott Manley-esque "Hullo!" Thankfully "mei guo" is one word that has sunk into my head, so his son comes out and we were able to converse with broken English, worse Chinese, and the Hanping app. Glad I paid for the full app. So, owner is taking the bag to the police, hopefully to find the owner. Hopefully a Taiwanese woman will be reunited with her purse and I have notched the karmic balance away from Americans being rude drunks. At least until the next gang of expats decide to go to the 7-Eleven pub this weekend.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
They're rummaging through the contents of it right now while laughing about you not plundering the treasure for yourself.

okami
Oct 23, 2014
What's the deal with weed? Can it be bought and how much?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

okami posted:

Are you OK with literally funding the Taliban?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Taiwanese don't believe in the concept of weed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's me. I'm a Taliban.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

okami posted:

It's legal, but distribution is controlled. You're best off talking to a police officer and asking them where the nearest authorized vendor is.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Horatius Bonar posted:

It's legal, but distribution is controlled. You're best off talking to a police officer and asking them where the nearest authorized vendor is.

This isn't true. Weed is illegal in China.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

okami posted:

Go hiking in Yunnan and you'll be approached by a grandma offering you some.

Edit: Oh this is the Taiwan thread. I don't know then, try calling the foreigner hotline.

kenner116 fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 24, 2014

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

fart simpson posted:

This isn't true. Weed is illegal in China.

Uhhhhhhh yeah, Taiwan isn't China, DUH

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

duckfarts posted:

Uhhhhhhh yeah, Taiwan isn't China, DUH

Ummm...

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

I thought the Biển Đông maritime border only had 9 dotted lines, what's with the 10th? Is the mainland claiming even more dotted lines now?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

okami posted:

did you register an account just to ask this question lol

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

okami posted:

Weed is illegal, bringing it in is potentially a death sentence, but like everywhere else on the planet it's around. Asking "how much" is the loving funniest though. Makes you look like a really incompetent narc.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

okami posted:

Hey guys, how do I bought weed?

This one time my friend smoked a weed and then he died.

Don't smoke a weed.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I think you're better off searching for Taiwanese independence. It's more attainable.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

that's just like, their opinion, man

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

duckfarts posted:

um excuse me it is our culture, please respect it

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

duckfarts posted:

The island really ties the empire together, you know?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

okami posted:

Well, if you can come to Hong Kong I know someone who can get you some. Just strap some to your stomach and put some perfume on. That way you can smoke all the weed you want in Taiwan!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

okami posted:

I'm pretty weedy, you can smoke me if you like.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

House Louse posted:

I'm pretty weedy, you can smoke me if you like.

You can smoke my pole

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

If you really want to buy weed, head to Snake Alley and look for the dude with the most tattoos, he'll have a hook up.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

If you really want to buy weed, head to Snake Alley and look for the dude with the most tattoos, he'll have a hook up.

Oh poo poo I know that guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSIZQRi4M6c

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

He really needs to work on his sales technique.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I honestly just brought chocolate weed edibles with me on the plane last time I was there. Sunrise Alishan and hiking all over YangMingShan and Taroko was fun. :D

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, Taiwan

http://www.ejinsight.com/20141021-peeing-boy-incident-at-taipei-101-gets-murkier/

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Despite this setback I doubt that Taiwan has any hope of winning the "inappropriately excreting waste" race.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It is more fuel for the fire to help Taiwan win in the "tabloid media racing to report any pointless thing regardless of its factuality" race, though!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Only because xinhua has to run things past the vice minister of not getting disappeared first.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

I ran into a weird scam today. I was at a street corner having a smoke when this guy in a big black SUV pulls up next to me with his window down. He says, in English, "Do you speak Spanish?"
In Spanish I said "a little, yes"
Then he's like, "ok English is best. I am from Italia, my friend he is manager at SOGO and I have many Italian fashions. Today I go to Roma go to airport, but I have three fashions I cannot bring, because of the taxes. So, I give them to you, free, understand? I leave now for the airport, and you just pay for this rental car! Ok?"
I laughed and said no, then went back to my smoke and he drove off, but what the hell.

I had watched 3 episodes of Locked Up Abroad that morning so I really wasn't inclined to say yes, it was three hours of why you should never trust a Spanish speaking dude who wants you to go to the airport.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Horatius Bonar posted:

I ran into a weird scam today. I was at a street corner having a smoke when this guy in a big black SUV pulls up next to me with his window down. He says, in English, "Do you speak Spanish?"
Then he's like, "ok English is best. I am from Italia, my friend he is manager at SOGO and I have many Italian fashions. Today I go to Roma go to airport, but I have three fashions I cannot bring, because of the taxes. So, I give them to you, free, understand? I leave now for the airport, and you just pay for this rental car! Ok?"
I laughed and said no, then went back to my smoke and he drove off, but what the hell.

I had watched 3 episodes of Locked Up Abroad that morning so I really wasn't inclined to say yes, it was three hours of why you should never trust a Spanish speaking dude who wants you to go to the airport.

Last thing I want to do in Taiwan is get thrown into a Mexican prison.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Horatius Bonar posted:

this dude sounds legit what do you have against free fashions man?

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

https://www.facebook.com/events/782469245125103/

Halloween: Resurrection next weekend at red square in Ximending. If you don't have a costume you can rent one at about the same part of Ximen. Everyone should come to this because it is loving awesome.

I'm late to the bandwagon on this one, but I plan to go. I heard they're selling tickets at 7/11... is that still going on?

Anybody know anywhere I can buy face paint in Taipei?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Backweb posted:

I'm late to the bandwagon on this one, but I plan to go. I heard they're selling tickets at 7/11... is that still going on?

Anybody know anywhere I can buy face paint in Taipei?

behind main station. There's a bunch of halloween stores. I got a bunch of face crayons for gay pride there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Spanish Matlock posted:

behind main station. There's a bunch of halloween stores. I got a bunch of face crayons for gay pride there.

Yah I owe you :60bux: for those, too. Not gonna make it up tonight though. Next time, sugarpop.