Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

StopShootingMe posted:

HOG will sell the service kits for their regs provided you complete the HOG servicing course (a TDI course) at one of their distributors. I haven't heard anything bad about HOG gear, it's cheap and apparently works very well. Looks like a knock off of Apeks gear to me, but gets good reports.

I will admit that I did not think much past Aqualung/Apeks, AUP, and ScubaPro as far as manufacturers are concerned. So I stand corrected in terms of the ability to obtain parts. However:

HOG website posted:

EDGE/HOG does NOT sell parts to end users. EDGE and HOG dealers are permitted to sell parts. EDGE /HOG recommends that parts are only sold to those with formal training in regulator repair.

I would still really caution a new diver against disassembling their equipment, regardless of prior technical ability. Another barrier to entry which I completely forgot to mention is the tools needed to make sure your parts are within spec can be a pretty sizeable investment by themselves (pressure guages, wrenches, sonic bath, inline pressure adjustment tools, etc).

Occams taser posted:

Do dive shops regularly special order suits? or is what they carry what they sell?

Depends on the dive shop. Most dive shops should be willing to special order you a specific size for a brand they carry if they really want your business. I would definitely recommend trying on at least 2 or 3 different brands of wetsuits, even within brands different lines will have different fits. And if you are talking several hours of water time you definitely want a wetsuit which fits (it should be pretty snug and conform to your body shape). It is possible to get a wetsuit custom made to fit to your body measurements, but they are going to run a little bit more than something off the rack. Anecdote for the custom wetsuit: http://wetwear.com/ sells them and I have a couple of dive buddies who weren't able to find sizes which fit them from other vendors and are happy with their custom suits.

Regarding your camera question, if you are primarily looking for a still photography solution keep in mind GoPro is designed as a video camera which happens to be able to take still images. Underwater the wide angle lens isn't going to be very helpful for your use case. As far as action cameras which meet your budget: the SJ4000 gets good reviews, and the Intova is designed by an engineer from the original GoPro team, they both clock in at well under 300. If you were willing to stretch your budget a little bit you could spring for this: rated to 15m, amazon loves it. Something with a macro option and a strobe is going to be key to obtaining any sort of still images underwater.

helpy fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

StopShootingMe posted:

HOG will sell the service kits for their regs provided you complete the HOG servicing course (a TDI course) at one of their distributors. I haven't heard anything bad about HOG gear, it's cheap and apparently works very well. Looks like a knock off of Apeks gear to me, but gets good reports.

I've glanced briefly at HOG and it did look like and off-brand to me too. Part of the difficulty for a newish person like me is the sheer number of equipment brands. Looking around online, I've seen people independently claim that at least 6 brands are the definitive best. Between online and the local shops I could choose between Aqualung, Scubapro, Mares, APEKs, Oceanic, Hollis, Edge, HOG, US Divers, Cressi, Beuchat, and probably even more I can't think of right now. How do divers typically sift through them all? My initial impression is that they are all good enough, so I should probably stick with one of the more popular brands for parts/servicing availability while still being in a reasonable price range.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Jimmy James posted:

I've glanced briefly at HOG and it did look like and off-brand to me too. Part of the difficulty for a newish person like me is the sheer number of equipment brands. Looking around online, I've seen people independently claim that at least 6 brands are the definitive best. Between online and the local shops I could choose between Aqualung, Scubapro, Mares, APEKs, Oceanic, Hollis, Edge, HOG, US Divers, Cressi, Beuchat, and probably even more I can't think of right now. How do divers typically sift through them all? My initial impression is that they are all good enough, so I should probably stick with one of the more popular brands for parts/servicing availability while still being in a reasonable price range.

That's exactly how most people I know pick their gear. I would add that you should get brands which are popular in your area. Koh Tao is basically a Scubapro/Aqualung island, for instance, but French divers seem to favor Beuchat, which is unfortunate because they have trouble getting their gear serviced. Some people swear up and down about how bad/great certain brands are, though, so :shrug:

The other major thing is fit, which is less of an issue with regs obviously but important for pretty much all other gear. It's difficult to tell as a newish diver how something should fit - all dive gear is pretty uncomfortable and unnatural so it's hard to tell sometimes whether something is fits poorly or if the discomfort is within the range of how well fitting dive gear should feel.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

SlicerDicer posted:

I wonder if bishop is still around? I wanted to say hi when I was in Florida
heh I'm still alive, just too busy to post recently. Only got a a few days worth of diving in this summer and I'm feeling the withdrawals... I couldn't do a real aggressive dive right now without a few warmup dives to get my skills back where they need to be. Also every reg and tank I own is up for servicing (noooooooo)

I'm planning on taking a week off around Xmas and New Years to do nothing but log dives, possibly a class in cave country as well. Good to see this thread is still chugging along.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I'm going what's probably my last dive for the season (:() coming up this weekend. We're going to 2 local wrecks that are about 200-300 meters apart, the Hyde and the Markham.

Hyde: http://www.wilmingtondiving.com/hyde.shtml

Markham: http://www.wilmingtondiving.com/markham.shtml

This is supposed to be a good dive to do in the summer, when there are some sharks and other marine life that primarily stick to warmer waters. A friend of mine said he had a manta ray come play in his bubbles out at one of these wrecks (I think it was one of these? :v: ) so I'm hoping that there's still something living out there this late in the season.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Thanksgiving week we're going to the Keys! A couple days in Hawks Key, then a couple days in Key West, then a couple days in Key Largo, pretty excited about finally hitting the Spiegal Grove. First dive trip since getting my rescue cert in May.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.
Diving Wolf Rock (near Brisbane, Australia) tomorrow.

Apparently it's one of the two known congregation sites for Grey Nurses (Sand Tigers for you yanks) on Australia's east coast. Looking forward to it.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

eviljelly posted:

That's exactly how most people I know pick their gear. I would add that you should get brands which are popular in your area. Koh Tao is basically a Scubapro/Aqualung island, for instance, but French divers seem to favor Beuchat, which is unfortunate because they have trouble getting their gear serviced. Some people swear up and down about how bad/great certain brands are, though, so :shrug:

Yeah I'd say the biggest thing to consider is servicing availability and costs. I know in the UK circles Apeks are super popular, generally because they're reliable, cheap and cheap to service. I've got a Mares and Scubapro regs, no big difference in using them although the Mares Proton metal is nice and shiny. However I got it sent over to me in Malaysia and my dad (who took it over) decided to check it, something in the first stage got bent apparently and it requires a part to be ordered from Italy that will take something like 6 months. So yeah, make sure whatever you're using is going to be easy to get fixed, aside from that choose something that's in your budget and you like the look of.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
What spare part do you need? I can probably send it via mail in much less than 6 months.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Nah I'm going to be home for Christmas so will get it serviced then but it's some pin inside my V32. The shop staff weren't overly specific in their explanation. Thanks for the offer though!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I've always been interested in taking up diving. My uncle was a Master Diver (Dive Master?) in the Navy and I always thought it was the coolest thing and loved hearing his stories. I've never really had a chance/a reason for going and getting certified. If I did, I wouldn't have much chance to use it.

Finally got my reason! In June next year I'm going to Turks & Caicos for vacation and have heard that the diving there is amazing.

http://www.tcvillas.com/villa_palmera/ This is where we'll be staying.

I'm looking around Atlanta for places to take classes so if anyone knows anyone worth recommending let me know! I also want to try spear fishing. Are there any classes for that or is it simple enough that I could find a dive charter down there that would teach/assist me?

edit: After a cursory look online it seems like spearfishing is illegal in T&C. Bummer.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 28, 2014

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Fishing and scuba diving at the same time is forbidden in most parts of the world. Outside of protected areas, it's generally allowed to do spear fishing in apnea, but often you'll need to buy a license for it - check beforehand, the fines are never light.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Unhepfully generally areas where it's allowed are ones where scuba diving isn't very nice. Norway apparently allows spear fishing and I know the UK is fine with taking anything you can by hand (hello fresh scallop/lobster for dinner on dive trips!) but it's definitely outside the norm.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Understandable. Guess I'll just have to settle for getting some nice pics and video

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Spear fishing seems so fun - I really want to try it sometime too - but honestly you'll be busy trying to get the whole scuba diving thing down. Concentrate on that! Even after you're a certified diver, you'll feel like you have a lot to learn - just enjoy that experience for this trip. :)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I'm not going until June so I've got 8 months to get ready.

I found a place a little north of here that does a 6 weeks course that ends by going to Key Largo and doing a dive. They have their own indoor training facility and everything. It's a little pricey but I don't want to gently caress around with this.

The key thing is that they have refresher courses once you've completed the certification. You can use their facilities for free any time and also go on their dive trips, you just have to pay your way for those. I figure I can take the classes, get certified and maybe go on a couple of the trips before I leave for T&C.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

MindlessHavok posted:

I've always been interested in taking up diving. My uncle was a Master Diver (Dive Master?) in the Navy and I always thought it was the coolest thing and loved hearing his stories. I've never really had a chance/a reason for going and getting certified. If I did, I wouldn't have much chance to use it.

Finally got my reason! In June next year I'm going to Turks & Caicos for vacation and have heard that the diving there is amazing.

http://www.tcvillas.com/villa_palmera/ This is where we'll be staying.

I'm looking around Atlanta for places to take classes so if anyone knows anyone worth recommending let me know! I also want to try spear fishing. Are there any classes for that or is it simple enough that I could find a dive charter down there that would teach/assist me?

edit: After a cursory look online it seems like spearfishing is illegal in T&C. Bummer.

Turks and Caicos is amazing! There are a ton of great wall dives off of West Caicos, I posted some pictures earlier in this thread from our trip there.

E: your DM will probably let you go after a lionfish or two with their spear if you're comfortable enough underwater otherwise.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MrNemo posted:

Unhepfully generally areas where it's allowed are ones where scuba diving isn't very nice. Norway apparently allows spear fishing and I know the UK is fine with taking anything you can by hand (hello fresh scallop/lobster for dinner on dive trips!) but it's definitely outside the norm.

Coincidentally, it's legal in Hawaii. There are some very specific parts of the state where you can't scuba + spear; the governor signed a ban for some of the waters off of West Hawaii just last year.

Some people claim that scuba divers deplete fish stocks more rapidly than breath divers, but the science really doesn't support that. It's still considered seriously bad form; it's be like showing up to a marathon with a motorcycle

That said, it makes more sense to breath dive when you go spear fishing anyway. Your primary limit on a breath dive is hypoxia (with deco being a distant concern), so you can probably achieve the same total bottom time (over several short dives) as a scuba diver if you're able to hold your breath really well, but you'll have less gear to deal with.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 2, 2014

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Your limit in apnea isn't the oxygen, or not only that. Your primary concern is carbon dioxide, which causes hypercapnia, which is a problem also for scuba divers under certain conditions (such as prolonged swimming against a current). Hypoxia is a problem, too, but not the only one. Your urge to breathe is given by carbon dioxide.

Went diving the last week end and a few Padi divers were surprised that me and my friends use two first stages instead of an octopus. When does it become mandatory for padi divers to have two first stages?

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Cippalippus posted:

Went diving the last week end and a few Padi divers were surprised that me and my friends use two first stages instead of an octopus. When does it become mandatory for padi divers to have two first stages?

I strongly suspect you meant you use two primary second stages, not two first stages. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_regulator#First_stage

The main functional differences between a normal primary second stage and an octo, as I understand it, are 1) the color, 2) the hose length, and 3) a 'standard' mouthpiece (i.e. not one that's form-fitting to YOUR mouth). 1 is maybe not as consequential and 3 is maybe borderline but 2 definitely would make a difference. Can two buddies share air on two primary second stages? Sure, but the extra hose length an on octo really helps. I'd definitely prefer to keep a potentially panicking buddy (i.e. because he's had catastrophic equipment failure) at arm's length.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
The panicked diving scenario is also why (at least for SSI) they recommend handing over the longer primary second stage, then switching to your octo yourself.

The reasoning being that an out-of-air diver is going to instinctively snatch away your air, so might as well hand over the one with the longer hose.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

eviljelly posted:

I strongly suspect you meant you use two primary second stages, not two first stages. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_regulator#First_stage

The main functional differences between a normal primary second stage and an octo, as I understand it, are 1) the color, 2) the hose length, and 3) a 'standard' mouthpiece (i.e. not one that's form-fitting to YOUR mouth). 1 is maybe not as consequential and 3 is maybe borderline but 2 definitely would make a difference. Can two buddies share air on two primary second stages? Sure, but the extra hose length an on octo really helps. I'd definitely prefer to keep a potentially panicking buddy (i.e. because he's had catastrophic equipment failure) at arm's length.

No, I use two first stages. On one I have my primary mouthpiece and on the other I have my secondary (yellow) mouthpiece. Maybe it's a Cmas thing, but we call "octo" a first stage designed to fit everything onto it.

Anyway, on the first first stage I have my primary mouthpiece, the hose that goes into the bcd, and the pressure gauge. On the second first stage I have my secondary mouthpiece and my Suunto wireless transmitter for the wrist computer, plus the hose for the dry suit.

Edit: sorry for my terminology but I don't know how to translate many of the terms in English.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I've seen that configuration (yay diving in France!) and it's very much not an international standard. Personally I think modern first stages shouldn't have a great problem with supplying air even to two hard breathing divers (although in cold water this can increase the chances of a free flow, especialy with cheaper first stages or ones designed for warm water diving). That's really the only advantage I can see, it costs more and adds another potential failure point if anything goes wrong with an O-ring or one of the first stages themselves.

That said in the UK I've done a bit of diving with twin sets and those have the same set up. I could also see the advantage with using a 3L pony cylinder or similar with the emergency air in case of an out of air situation but personally I'm not sure how beneficial doubling up the first stage is. Of course if we go back to the 80's/90's, I'm lead to believe, first stages in cold water were more likely to freeze up and free flow when under pressure so I could see why the practice was adopted by CMAS.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, my wife and I have the scubapro air2 with integrated bcd inflator and have an agreement that the primary goes to whoever's in trouble and the air2 becomes the new primary. If diving with a new buddy, the same conversation happens. I'd prefer they have the longer hose and I want to keep buoyancy under my control.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

MrNemo posted:

I've seen that configuration (yay diving in France!) and it's very much not an international standard. Personally I think modern first stages shouldn't have a great problem with supplying air even to two hard breathing divers (although in cold water this can increase the chances of a free flow, especialy with cheaper first stages or ones designed for warm water diving). That's really the only advantage I can see, it costs more and adds another potential failure point if anything goes wrong with an O-ring or one of the first stages themselves.

That said in the UK I've done a bit of diving with twin sets and those have the same set up. I could also see the advantage with using a 3L pony cylinder or similar with the emergency air in case of an out of air situation but personally I'm not sure how beneficial doubling up the first stage is. Of course if we go back to the 80's/90's, I'm lead to believe, first stages in cold water were more likely to freeze up and free flow when under pressure so I could see why the practice was adopted by CMAS.

You know, I also find it convenient to avoid cramming stuff into a single first stage. Pretty much, to be honest, that's the main and only advantage I've found.
In your example, if an O-ring breaks, you can close the relative first stage and still have air with you, but this is something that I hope will never happen.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Having done a fair number of twinset shut down drills I am totally with you on that. And yeah I can see the point regarding hose routing being easier.

Though I have once in my life had an O-ring blow on my first stage, fortunately it was on a shore entry and I was only up to my chest in water.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
RE: HOG - apparently they are just Apeks clones or rebadges, but the quality is the same.

Onto my own topic though; my partner and I are looking at doing a liveaboard next year around July through SE Asia, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand sort of area. We've dived Nusa Lembongan and the Phi-Phi Islands before and both were pretty great, and we don't mind doing them again.

Pretty much looking for recommendations on ships/companies to dive with, minimum of 4 days/4 nights, preferred 6D/6N if possible, at a medium to budget price range. Leaving from anywhere in the above countries or maybe suggest somewhere else to me (even a resort with amazing diving there!). I'm located in Australia and flights to South East Asia are cheaper then interstate, but Guam, Chuuk etc are out of our price range currently.

We are both Advanced divers, I have my Nitrox, will be getting my girlfriend to get hers as well, and both doing our Wreck and Dive over summer, so we should be good to go for most sites by July.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
When I was on Phi Phi I signed up for a last minute liveaboard through Princess Divers. The actual operation was out of Khao Lak (don't remember the company name unfortunately). It cost me 600 bucks at the time (for a 4 day 3 night liveaboard, 16 dives total). I think nowadays it'll run close to $1,000.

The sites were all in the Andaman Sea - Surin and Similan Islands. Pretty cool and I'd definitely recommend.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Trivia posted:

When I was on Phi Phi I signed up for a last minute liveaboard through Princess Divers. The actual operation was out of Khao Lak (don't remember the company name unfortunately). It cost me 600 bucks at the time (for a 4 day 3 night liveaboard, 16 dives total). I think nowadays it'll run close to $1,000.

The sites were all in the Andaman Sea - Surin and Similan Islands. Pretty cool and I'd definitely recommend.

Got really keen, but searches don't show any hits for a liveaboard through them anymore :(

You did put me onto another site, Khao Lak Scuba Adventures, which pretty much matches exactly what we're looking for and at a great price, and a few other sites for boats operating from Khao Lak, so thank you!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Did the lecture for Deep Diver today, and right after the class our instructor gets a message that the boat is getting delayed for weather this weekend. We're supposed to do all 4 dives this weekend, but if we don't get them done it's probably the last chance this season to do any kind of diving on the NC coast.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

crowtribe posted:

Got really keen, but searches don't show any hits for a liveaboard through them anymore :(

You did put me onto another site, Khao Lak Scuba Adventures, which pretty much matches exactly what we're looking for and at a great price, and a few other sites for boats operating from Khao Lak, so thank you!

If you're in Malaysia, see if you can get to Sipidan Island. It's in Sabah, east coast. They might do liveaboards to the island, though I'm sure it'll cost a bit more. There's a lot of demand to dive there and allowances are pretty limited. Some place require you to do 2-3 days of local diving for every 1 of Sipidan.

I hear Komodo in Indonesia is a pretty wild ride. Not sure about liveaboards there though.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Trivia posted:

If you're in Malaysia, see if you can get to Sipidan Island. It's in Sabah, east coast. They might do liveaboards to the island, though I'm sure it'll cost a bit more. There's a lot of demand to dive there and allowances are pretty limited. Some place require you to do 2-3 days of local diving for every 1 of Sipidan.

I hear Komodo in Indonesia is a pretty wild ride. Not sure about liveaboards there though.

Sipadan is probably THE fabled diving spot in SE Asia, but it's getting a bit hairy down there these days what with all them kidnappings and all. I'm usually not one to be reactionary based on a few isolated cases but it seems like they're targeting tourists (esp divers), which is what worries me.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend changed her mind and just wants to do resort diving instead now. I'm not fussed, I just want to get wet.

Looks like we'll head straight to Mabul Island Resort for a few days depending on availability next June and then a normal holiday from then. Just waiting for a response from the Resort for the dates we're looking at now.

Also, as much as I hate to link to this website for anything: Great Kimberley Marine Park vs Great Barrier Reef. The Kimberley is the northern part of my state, so I'm interested in seeing how this pans out.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Both charters cancelled this weekend. :( We were doing a deep diver specialty course. Weather here has been sucking for diving for like the last 6 weeks though, not sure why I thought this would be an exception.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,

eviljelly posted:

Sipadan is probably THE fabled diving spot in SE Asia, but it's getting a bit hairy down there these days what with all them kidnappings and all. I'm usually not one to be reactionary based on a few isolated cases but it seems like they're targeting tourists (esp divers), which is what worries me.

Yeah, I heard about a case when I was there visiting. Pretty worrisome poo poo as I heard they'll come up to boats armed with AKs then take you up to Mindanao Island (Philippines). I doubt the few military dudes stationed at Sipadan will do much more than call it in.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Just got back a bit ago from a three tank dive in key largo, including our first spiegal grove dive. That wreck owns.

E: also watched a ~200 pound Goliath grouper seriously wrecking some poo poo on our night dive. It followed my wife and I. around for a while watching for fish to be highlighted by our lights. I have some pictures, will post them once I get home and edit them.

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 25, 2014

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

jackyl posted:

I have some pictures, will post them once I get home and edit them.

Please do, this sounds excellent

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

jackyl posted:

Just got back a bit ago from a three tank dive in key largo, including our first spiegal grove dive. That wreck owns.

E: also watched a ~200 pound Goliath grouper seriously wrecking some poo poo on our night dive. It followed my wife and I. around for a while watching for fish to be highlighted by our lights. I have some pictures, will post them once I get home and edit them.

Please post them when you can. I was at Key Largo last March and loved every single dive I went on :swoon:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

jackyl posted:

Spiegel Grove was my first deep dive. It was still lying on its side when I dove it - the idea that it actually rolled upright is still mindblowing to me. I really have to make it back down there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Kesper North posted:

Spiegel Grove was my first deep dive. It was still lying on its side when I dove it - the idea that it actually rolled upright is still mindblowing to me. I really have to make it back down there...

That's cool, it would have been amazing to see it sideways. But right side up... The thing is massive and I get why they say you can dive it 10 times and it's a new experience each time.

E: and I've read how it got turned upright, but after seeing it in person, I agree with your mindblowing comment