Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

noirstronaut posted:

I haven't posted in the retro games thread since I bought a cabinet, but I'm glad you remember me posting about that a month ago.

It's not a big deal. I genuinely think those two games are poo poo and Bayonetta is only worth $10 in my eyes. Hell, if someone offered me $5 and a McChicken for the game, I'd give it to them with no hesitation.

Sorry you guys love this game and I don't. :allears:

You really are a posting bad boy. Hating those games people like. What a badass. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Crawfish posted:

I don't really care about Bayonetta either though, so that's not really the reason people are saying these sorts of thing to you.

People just care a lot about a video game I think is poo poo. Same happens when Kaubocks says he hates W101 or whatever it is or when I talk about Kirby being boring as hell.

codenameFANGIO posted:

You really are a posting bad boy. Hating those games people like. What a badass. :geno:

You think I'm trying to be a badass by saying I don't like Bayonetta...? Alright, buddy.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

People just care a lot about a video game I think is poo poo. Same happens when Kaubocks says he hates W101 or whatever it is or when I talk about Kirby being boring as hell.

You think I'm trying to be a badass by saying I don't like Bayonetta...? Alright, buddy.

nobody cares gaywad

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Well I'm glad we agree it's not really working out.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

romanowski posted:

nobody cares gaywad

People are caring so much right now.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

People are caring so much right now.

shut the gently caress up already you moron
vvvv thank you for continuing to add nothing

Spite posted:

The discount for Bayo 1 after buying Bayo 2 doesn't seem to be up yet.

Is Bayo 1 even up yet?

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 24, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

MinibarMatchman posted:

shut the gently caress up already you moron

The amount of caremad in this thread is amazing. Kinda surprised that people somehow think the game is just the best one ever and someone not liking it is making their world crumble.

Anyway, since I've already established how horrible I think the game is, we can move on. Wonderful.

Also, since the post you replied to is old, they might have already figured it out, but the discount works now.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
So I tried the bayo2 demo. It seems like a fun game but I'm not really into the animated voluptuous rear end shots and the hair swirling while nude summoning.

I would have been more in to that 10 years ago, back in high school when I was still a virgin. :/

It's a good sign that they're bringing 'mature' games to the console though I guess.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

davey4283 posted:

So I tried the bayo2 demo. It seems like a fun game but I'm not really into the animated voluptuous rear end shots and the hair swirling while nude summoning.

I would have been more in to that 10 years ago, back in high school when I was still a virgin. :/

It's a good sign that they're bringing 'mature' games to the console though I guess.

drat, Bayonetta fans just got destroyed!

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

drat, Bayonetta fans just got destroyed!

It's not an attack or meant to be one. It's my honest interpretation of this piece of media.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

The amount of caremad in this thread is amazing. Kinda surprised that people somehow think the game is just the best one ever and someone not liking it is making their world crumble.

Anyway, since I've already established how horrible I think the game is, we can move on. Wonderful.

Also, since the post you replied to is old, they might have already figured it out, but the discount works now.

that's it

you and me

ddr pads at high noon

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

davey4283 posted:

It's not an attack or meant to be one. It's my honest interpretation of this piece of media.

"seems like a fun game but you'd have to be a drooling virgin in high school to play it lol"

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

davey4283 posted:

I see I see go on

tell us more about the sex you have all the time mister cool sex haver

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

I'd say the difference between you and I is I don't actually hate W101 that much-- I just give it poo poo because it's funny and the game just isn't for me.

also it's a poo poo game so

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

:f5: me watching the UPS tracking all day to see when Bayonetta gets to my front door so I can leave work early!!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Tatsuta Age posted:

:f5: me watching the UPS tracking all day to see when Bayonetta gets to my front door so I can leave work early!!

I just saw the mailman walk past my house and he didn't put anything in my mailbox.

Life is torment. :saddowns:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Is Bayo 1 even up yet?

They went up at the same time last night. You may have to fully download one before the discount applies to the other - I left my Bayo 1 download going last night and got the discount on Bayo 2 this morning.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

davey4283 posted:

Its just over the top camp man. I don't think this is meant to arouse anyone. The only exception is Jeanne is meant to arouse Kamiya because Jeanne is a female Dante.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

Tatsuta Age posted:

JordanKai posted:

I just saw the mailman walk past my house and he didn't put anything in my mailbox.

Life is torment. :saddowns:

Look at these poor suckers who don't work at a video game store where you have it preordered so you can literally just pick it up while walking out of work. :smug:

(of course i'm the one who has to live with the fact that he works at a gamestop :negative:)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I think someone in here was linking before on Amazon for a $100 2TB hard drive that is powered by the Wii U without a Y cable. Does anyone have that?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

greatn posted:

Its just over the top camp man. I don't think this is meant to arouse anyone. The only exception is Jeanne is meant to arouse Kamiya because Jeanne is a female Dante.

It's definitely meant to be sexy but Bayonetta is very much a satanist view of feminism/empowerment. The sexuality is there, thrown out by the main character in a weird goofy hyper BDSM kind of way. It's in your face but it's so over the top that it shouldn't make anyone feel like a dumb 12 year old virgin unless you're an uncomfortable weirdo about this kind of thing.

Bayonetta rules go buy it everyone.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Tatsuta Age posted:

This is why I started just doing in store pickup over getting stuff online. Amazon finally adding tax to stuff made this decision all the easier.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Kilometers Davis posted:

It's definitely meant to be sexy but Bayonetta is very much a satanist view of feminism/empowerment. The sexuality is there, thrown out by the main character in a weird goofy hyper BDSM kind of way. It's in your face but it's so over the top that it shouldn't make anyone feel like a dumb 12 year old virgin unless you're an uncomfortable weirdo about this kind of thing.

Bayonetta rules go buy it everyone.

It also should be noted that Bayonetta lives in a literally female-dominated universe. All the principle power characters with one notable exception are female--although the Lumen Sages are an all-male group battling all-female Witches so there's an aspect of gender conflict there. But the God of the universe is a woman. It's stupidly Puritanical when people get all upset about Bayonetta's in-your-face sexuality while ignoring the actual details of the plot, characters, and world in which the game takes place. I'd go so far as to say that taken as a whole, Bayonetta is a far more empowering game than it is anything else.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The most confusing aspect of gamers sometimes is the concept that anyone can hate a game and consider paying $10 (or $5 or a mcchicken or something) for it. I mean, 99% of all games in the world I would pay precisely $0 for. I can see that Bayonetta is a good game (deriving it from the love people have for it anyway), I just can't seem to grasp the genre at all (so many flashing lights and moving things, only a subset of which have significance), so I would not pay a cent for it. The world is absolutely full of games that I do like at perfectly reasonable prices. If there is one thing Steam sales have taught me it is that a game I only sort-of like is not really a better purchase at $2.50 than it was at $60.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It also should be noted that Bayonetta lives in a literally female-dominated universe. All the principle power characters with one notable exception are female--although the Lumen Sages are an all-male group battling all-female Witches so there's an aspect of gender conflict there. But the God of the universe is a woman. It's stupidly Puritanical when people get all upset about Bayonetta's in-your-face sexuality while ignoring the actual details of the plot, characters, and world in which the game takes place. I'd go so far as to say that taken as a whole, Bayonetta is a far more empowering game than it is anything else.

I will say that Bayonetta walks a very very interesting line. Objectification is only partly about titillating appearances, but also very much about agency, and where Bayonetta goes all out being the worst-of-the-worst appearance-wise, it also heavily subverts most of the other aspects.

I would rather prefer if they worked a bit harder to subvert the looks aspect as well, but it is a touch refreshing an approach at least. Less obviously sexualized women with a total lack of agency in franchises failing the Bechdel test every iteration is more the standard failure after all.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 24, 2014

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises
Wow, look at all of these opinions! Here's mine:

Hyrule Warriors is fun as heck and I'm looking forward to getting off work and picking up Bayonetta :)

Remember to respect other people's opinions and have a nice day, friends!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I will say that Bayonetta walks a very very interesting line. Objectification is only partly about titillating appearances, but also very much about agency, and where Bayonetta goes all out being the worst-of-the-worst appearance-wise, it also heavily subverts most of the other aspects.

I would rather prefer if they worked a bit harder to subvert the looks aspect as well, but it is a touch refreshing an approach at least. Less obviously sexualized women with a total lack of agency in franchises failing the Bechdel test every iteration is more the standard failure after all.

I personally disagree with the spirit of feminism that decries sexuality. Women in real life enjoy dressing up in sexy outfits too, and it's not just for the benefit of drawing in male gazes or anything like that--girls like to look and feel sexy. Some don't, and some do, and that's fine. It's one of those things where I find it a bit counter-productive. Sex is good, sexuality is good, expressing that is also good. If somebody says that they feel a low-cut top and generous cleavage objectifies a woman, I feel that says a lot more about the critic than the woman herself.

AzureRequiem posted:

Wow, look at all of these opinions! Here's mine:

Hyrule Warriors is fun as heck and I'm looking forward to getting off work and picking up Bayonetta :)

Remember to respect other people's opinions and have a nice day, friends!

Hyrule Warriors is awesome. My favorite characters to play are Fi, Impa and Agitha what's yours?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Bayonetta has some satisfying fighting once you get beyond button mashing stage - which you don't necessarily have to, but like MGSR or W101 or DMC it's a lot less interesting if you're just mashing square. As far as the sexualization, it always felt as silly and weightless to me as Dante's shirtless posing in DMC3. I get the sensitivity since she's female, but it really doesn't seem like you're supposed to be playing with a boner or whatever the high school virgin comment above insinuates. At least it's halfway self-aware compared to the DOA Beach Volleyballs of the world.

It isn't the greatest game ever made, but it isn't some huge mystery why people might like it. It generally isn't because of T&A.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Midna and Volga for the Hyrule Warriors master race.

I'm halfway through world 2 of Tropical Freeze and if you haven't bought this game you totally should! It must have been an absolute nightmare to design this game because each level is totally different, but also the levels are constantly shifting and surprising you.

And yes, it's already getting tricky.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I think there should be a bayonetta and hyrule warriors mashup with the controls of wonderful 101.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I was thinking of getting a pro-controller for Hyrule Warriors and maybe Smash Bros, but the $50 dollar price line is a bit much for me. How good is it and are there any good deals right now?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Arbitrary Coin posted:

I was thinking of getting a pro-controller for Hyrule Warriors and maybe Smash Bros, but the $50 dollar price line is a bit much for me. How good is it and are there any good deals right now?

The Pro Controller might be the best controller I've ever used. It's pretty much just the next evolution of the Xbox 360 controller, which before this was the best controller I've used.

It's just supremely comfortable, the buttons are all really nice, the D-pad doesn't suck. Basically it's all the same components as the Gamepad (minus the screen) but in a very comfortable shape.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Arbitrary Coin posted:

It's pretty comfortable and the battery life is loving impossibly long

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Arbitrary Coin posted:

There were some deals for it a month or two ago, you might be poo poo outta luck until black friday.

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Hyrule Warriors is awesome. My favorite characters to play are Fi, Impa and Agitha what's yours?

I'm only a few missions in but Impa is really cool!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Kewpuh posted:

It's pretty comfortable and the battery life is loving impossibly long

The cord it comes with is also like 15 feet long or something, so I just leave it plugged in. But yeah, you can get like 30 hours of play out of it without charging.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Took a day off, sitting here with my copy of Bayonetta downloaded.

It's game time, boys.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Took a day off, sitting here with my copy of Bayonetta downloaded.

It's game time, boys.

Jealous!! Enjoy!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

So when I buy bayonetta 2 as a physical copy, do I get the bayo 1 disc with it, or is it a download code?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

RyokoTK posted:

The cord it comes with is also like 15 feet long or something, so I just leave it plugged in. But yeah, you can get like 30 hours of play out of it without charging.

Way, way over 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

mabels big day posted:

So when I buy bayonetta 2 as a physical copy, do I get the bayo 1 disc with it, or is it a download code?

Disc.

My copy should be arriving today (along with All-New Ghost Rider, gently caress yeah thematic) and I can't wait to play Bayo 1 then 2 :allears: by the time i'm done it'll probably be smash time. What an amazing time to be a Nintendo fan

• Locked thread