Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Magoichi has finally risen above mediocrity and become a legitimately good character. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Maleketh posted:

Magoichi has finally risen above mediocrity and become a legitimately good character. :woop:

For serious, hyper attacks make him a beast. Same with Mori for that matter.

Also, this review here (Warning, slightly spergy) says that there are alternate paths like in DW8, but I have not seen any. Do they show up as Gaiden chapters?

EDIT: Nevermind, they show up in the Land United and Sanada campaigns.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 23, 2014

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh man, I can't get enough of Chronicle mode. It's the bees knees and has everything I love about Samurai Warriors. Can you co-op Chronicle mode?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
How am I supposed to answer these quizzes in Chronicles mode; who is the Blossom of Chaos?

I play these games to learn about highly fictionalized oriental history, not to get tested on them :argh:.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Look through the Encyclopaedia and character bios, if available. KOEI are usually good on those being in-game.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bloodly posted:

Look through the Encyclopaedia and character bios, if available. KOEI are usually good on those being in-game.

There are none initially :v:

Bios are tied to Chronicle mode progression, which is annoying.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 23, 2014

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

RoyalScion posted:

How am I supposed to answer these quizzes in Chronicles mode; who is the Blossom of Chaos?

I play these games to learn about highly fictionalized oriental history, not to get tested on them :argh:.

I swear the map pointed out which guy to kill on 2 of those questions. Like it had the Objective arrow pointing to the right guy to kill. Maybe it was just directing me to that certain area and the officer there just happened to be the right one. :shrug: One of the questions was funny though: "These three guys all use the same kanji to spell their last name, but one says it different" Uh, I guess I'll kill the guy with a slightly different last name in English then.

Himuro posted:

Oh man, I can't get enough of Chronicle mode. It's the bees knees and has everything I love about Samurai Warriors. Can you co-op Chronicle mode?

Yeah, I meant to just check it out before turning the game off, but I got sucked in for a few hours. Not sure if I could sit and play it on a tv, but it's great on the Vita. Watched game 2 of the World Series while I putzed around and maxed out my friendship with Oichi. And yes, you can co-op Chronicle mode. When you're on the map hit triangle and it should bring up the Ad Hoc / Online menu.

I'm assuming there's cross-play like DW8XL, so anybody who wants to add me feel free. My PSN is Static_Rook I've got SW4 and DW8XL, and will be picking up WO3U this weekend.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Maleketh posted:

Man, SW4 is so good. Admittedly, I'm only two stages in, but the hyper attacks are incredibly welcome and the AI partner is surprisingly good at prioritizing targets, if not actually fighting them.

Two stages in also, and equally impressed and having fun. Maybe it's credit to my veterancy with the *Warriors franchise in general but I laughed a little at finishing the first map and managing about 12 trophies at the stage recap.

Sanada Nobuyuki is great as a new character, I like his moveset. Still don't enjoy Takeda Shingen though. He still seems to suffer from crappy mobility and range.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Goddamn, Nobunaga spends half his story trolling Hisahide and it's great. :allears:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So does Koei plan to release SW4 for the Wii U after the positive reception of Hyrule Warriors?

If they aren't, I think they need to retake Remedial Market Planning.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

SirPhoebos posted:

So does Koei plan to release SW4 for the Wii U after the positive reception of Hyrule Warriors?

If they aren't, I think they need to retake Remedial Market Planning.

SW3 came out for the Wii, and the SW Chronicles games have been out for the 3DS, so hopefully it's a possibility.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

SirPhoebos posted:

Screw that, I want to know when it's coming to PC! :colbert:

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Vichan posted:

Screw that, I want to know when it's coming to PC! :colbert:

To be honest I'm not very optimistic about any real PC support from Koei. I don't think they've even announced anything since randomly dropping a Chinese version of Nobunaga's Ambition on Steam. If we're lucky we might get Empires, but I'm not holding my breath.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Can someone help me out in DW8 XL? I can't figure out what the first objective is for Lu Bu at the battle of Chang'an. The tiger one I've got, but looking online the other one seems to alternately be either "have Wang Yi seal off the bridge" or "Wang Yi survives the battle", both of which I've accomplished but neither flagged for completion.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is that the one where you betray dong zhou? if so lead diaochan to wang yun in the north(i don't think wang yi is ever with lu bu). they will talk a bit and he will stay there and close the bridge. after you got dong zhou on the run and reinforcements appear go back to where they meet and he will walk off the map after a bit of dialogue.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Oh, okay. I never bothered to go back to him, I just interrupted the forces moving to kill him. Cheers.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Sorry if this has been asked recently but how do you unlock main characters' weapons to use with your edit character in sw4?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
If anyone wants to co-op with me on PS3 my psn is Himuroids.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Anthrovore posted:

Sorry if this has been asked recently but how do you unlock main characters' weapons to use with your edit character in sw4?

You have to max out their friendship bar.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Achernar posted:

To be honest I'm not very optimistic about any real PC support from Koei. I don't think they've even announced anything since randomly dropping a Chinese version of Nobunaga's Ambition on Steam. If we're lucky we might get Empires, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah its honestly the reason I just bought a ps4 since I just don't trust koei enough to do what they did with dynasty warriors 8 in the future. and even that was just the ps3 version. I can at least rest comfortably knowing that no matter what I can get access to a warriors game even if it doesn't get localized.

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011

PureRok posted:

You have to max out their friendship bar.

Don't you also have to see all of their events as well?

Fastest way I can recommend is just have them tag along with you as a companion, events pop up after every other battle or so. I unlocked Kojiro and Musashi's weapons pretty quickly that way.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

After playing quite a bit of Samurai Warriors 4 I must say it's probably one of the best iterations ever. Hyper attacks make things much more fluid for getting around and clearing out crowds.

Although I cringe every time I see a "special" officer. Kanetsugu Naoe just got reamed and feels really awkward to play.

Also it feels like they could have easily gotten rid of a pile of the stories and not lost much. The Date story and the Mori story both feel like they're a bit tangential to the overall tale. Probably they got tossed in here because there was no other way to ensure you played some of the other characters if they weren't given their own tale.

The main story is basically Oda>Takeda>Sanada>Tales of Unification (or whatever). Takeda leads directly to Sanada, and Sanada, Oda and Unification all seem to have the most overall levels between the various tales.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm loving SW4 so far, and allowing you to control two warriors in one battle was a brilliant step. My one complaint is the lack of English dubs. It's hard to keep reading new developments, and while the game provides plenty of cues for objective changes, I feel like they interrupt the flow of action too much when a simple voice explanation could do the same job.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
DW8XLCE question: Is there any way to get a second Treasure weapon from the Emperor without having to start a new game on Ambition mode, don't want to have to redo all the bonds I've grinded already?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, I can't wait to get SW4 tomorrow. I take it that with the focus on CAW in Chronicle mode you can just jump straight in to that rather than needing levelled characters like a lot of Musou extra modes?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Sakurazuka posted:

Man, I can't wait to get SW4 tomorrow. I take it that with the focus on CAW in Chronicle mode you can just jump straight in to that rather than needing levelled characters like a lot of Musou extra modes?

Yea. It's really easy so far.

Also, levelling in this seems to be way slower than in other Warriors games.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

PureRok posted:

Also, levelling in this seems to be way slower than in other Warriors games.

I've noticed that too. It's why I always try to bring the XP-drop item in my loadout.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm level 20 or so in Chronicle mode and I've got a sword that has 110 power. Chronicle mode is now way way easy even on Hard. May have to bump it to Nightmare.

Levels are slow because high levels absolutely decimate your opponents.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I hosed around with CaS yesterday. It seems my dream of running around Sengoku era Japan in just a fundoshi and workboots will have to wait.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm loving SW4 so far, and allowing you to control two warriors in one battle was a brilliant step. My one complaint is the lack of English dubs. It's hard to keep reading new developments, and while the game provides plenty of cues for objective changes, I feel like they interrupt the flow of action too much when a simple voice explanation could do the same job.

I feel like somebody needs to make an avatar of Kanetsugu screaming JUSTICE in the same way your Liu Bei is showing BENEVOLENCE

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Calax posted:

I feel like somebody needs to make an avatar of Kanetsugu screaming JUSTICE in the same way your Liu Bei is showing BENEVOLENCE

That would be easy to get from Sengoku Basara.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Calax posted:

In my dream world, all the Dynasty Warrior games (and every game from Japan) would be localized by Sandy Frank

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
SirPhoebos' avatar is probably my favorite thing right now.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Static Rook posted:

I'm assuming there's cross-play like DW8XL, so anybody who wants to add me feel free. My PSN is Static_Rook I've got SW4 and DW8XL, and will be picking up WO3U this weekend.

I've got DW8XL, and WO3U. I'd be happy to play co-op, but mind you it has a stupid thing where you have to beat the level in order to play co-op on it. (At least, WO3U does.)

I'll send you one as DuCkSPANKER2 Mind you i don't have a ps3 mic, so if you want to talk, have to use Skype. (Or, amusingly, if you have a 360 too that'd work as well)

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Goddamn, Gracia is still broken as poo poo. That ice rain special is loving brutal.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Maleketh posted:

Goddamn, Gracia is still broken as poo poo. That ice rain special is loving brutal.
Well, she does wield the awesome power of the Christian God.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

how do i actually use those 3 items you can pick for a battle

also ninja girl seems strong

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Press left-right on d-pad to select and down to use.

It tells you in a tutorial but it's in like the second level.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

SirPhoebos posted:

My one complaint is the lack of English dubs. It's hard to keep reading new developments, and while the game provides plenty of cues for objective changes, I feel like they interrupt the flow of action too much when a simple voice explanation could do the same job.

I agree with you completely and it's a complaint I had back even when the original WO3 came out. Hyrule Warriors is tolerable because even if I miss a line from a character, the Battle Log records everything the characters say. WO3 doesn't even do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, she does wield the awesome power of the Christian God.

If only this were her theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PsPGpCdQe8

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 25, 2014