Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

They point out one of the main reasons The Flop House will never be my favorite bad movie podcast.

quote:

How do you explain what TFH is and why people love it to the uninitiated? Or do you bother?

quote:

We say what we say at the beginning of most episodes -- that we watch a bad movie and then we talk about it. But then we point out that it's more of a comedy/friendship podcast than a movie thing, at its heart. And then we warn people about inexplicable in-jokes. We're probably not our own best evangelists.

That's fine I guess, I listen to some podcasts that are just people shooting the poo poo about random things. But I feel like they don't do themselves any favors by being a Bad Movie PodcastTM that spends such little time talking about the bad movie. I enjoy We Hate Movies much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
It works the opposite way for me. I enjoy the in jokes, the rants, the tangents and the pitches more than actual movie discussion. In a way, I like the Flop House for the same reasons that I liked Arrested Development, it's a thing that adds up, rather than stand alone, which is a virtue and a flaw at the same time.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah, that post did describe exactly why I love The Flop House (and, to a lesser extent, HDTGM) but can't stand listening to We Hate Movies. I'm happy they all they exist though - to be honest, this thread does spend way too long arguing which is best of those three, which I guess is an obvious consequence of giving one shared thread to three superficially similar but ultimately very different podcasts.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I like all three to various extents: v:shobon:v Flophouse today had a fantastic opening five minutes.

HanzoSchmanzo
Apr 11, 2011

Guys, I tried, and I tried. I just hate it. Huge WHM, and HDTGM fan, but I haven't been able to make it through a full Flop House yet.

Will try again later, I suppose.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HanzoSchmanzo posted:

Guys, I tried, and I tried. I just hate it. Huge WHM, and HDTGM fan, but I haven't been able to make it through a full Flop House yet.

Will try again later, I suppose.

Unless you really like hearing someone else's group of friends talk and inside joke, stop after final judgments. I can see why people get into their personalities but to me it's like listening to someone describe their dreams.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 21, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I think of the flop house boys as the friends I'm too awkward to make in real life.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Is anyone else getting really slow speeds downloading the WHM podcast? I was fine until about 2 or 3 weeks ago, but ever since their download speeds have been dial-up 2600-baud bad for me.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 21, 2014

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Jack Black & The Pot-Infused Swamp Thing would have been so great about 15 years ago.

NewtonFig
Apr 28, 2006

Not Head Brain of the Hobosphere

radlum posted:

Yesterday's Flop House had probably the least time devoted to actually discussing the movie I've heard on any podcast (Dario Argento's Dracula 3D), but it was overall a very funny episode.

If you're looking for a longer discussion of Dracula 3D, my podcast reviewed it a year ago. We are self-confessed Argento fanboys so we give him a lot more credit than the Flop House guys. But yeah, that movie is really godawful.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

NewtonFig posted:

If you're looking for a longer discussion of Dracula 3D, my podcast reviewed it a year ago. We are self-confessed Argento fanboys so we give him a lot more credit than the Flop House guys. But yeah, that movie is really godawful.

I knew I'd heard a review of it before but I just couldn't remember where. Great podcast but I demand more dog movies, all the dog movies.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

WHM's Freddie Prinze Jr. impression cracks me up. That segment about the clam bake was just hilarious to me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I want the "Amelia Earhart gets in a Gundam and fights kaiju in the Bermuda Triangle" movie so bad now.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
That "Will, Ben's Son" line cracked me up about six times.

My podcast did an episode of Dario Argento's Dracula last year. Dare to compare: http://www.yourstupidminds.com/2013/10/podcast-dracula-3d-2012.html

I'm biased, but we go into a bit more detail into this inexplicable movie and really dig into Dracula's relationship with his cronies and the shooting schedule being plagued by gorgeous sunshine day after day.

NewtonFig
Apr 28, 2006

Flython posted:

I knew I'd heard a review of it before but I just couldn't remember where. Great podcast but I demand more dog movies, all the dog movies.

We completely agree. Three is not nearly enough.

laz0rbeak posted:

That "Will, Ben's Son" line cracked me up about six times.

My podcast did an episode of Dario Argento's Dracula last year. Dare to compare: http://www.yourstupidminds.com/2013/10/podcast-dracula-3d-2012.html

I'm biased, but we go into a bit more detail into this inexplicable movie and really dig into Dracula's relationship with his cronies and the shooting schedule being plagued by gorgeous sunshine day after day.

I already posted it, CHRIS!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

NewtonFig posted:

We completely agree. Three is not nearly enough.

I already posted it, CHRIS!

I like how you guys summed up his career as a director nicely right in the bullet points honestly.

quote:

Once again Dario Argento directs his daughter in a film where she's naked. Fool me once, Dario, shame on me. Fool me seven times, definitely shame on you.

Like, I'm sure Argento has a unique voice to express or whatever, but it's so burred in just...he's such a weird dude! Like, not the Tim Burton kinda endearing weird where it's like 'aw you're weird in a cute way', he's weird in the way like 'are you allowed to be within fifty yards of all your cast? REALLY?'

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Next week's WHM has got to be Child's Play 3, a movie I inexplicably watched at least 6 times.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

davidHalestorm posted:

Next week's WHM has got to be Child's Play 3, a movie I inexplicably watched at least 6 times.

Excellent choice, maybe a worse movie than even the Seed of Chucky one(s? I wanna say there's a second?).

Also not sure if this is an itunes being itunes thing or what but it seems like half of the Your Stupid Minds podcast back catalog just won't download in it? Like it seems to just randomly have 2 or 3 episode chunks that just never go past the start of the download but if you move on the rest can be downloaded. I couldn't get Vampirella (a travesty) but Dracula 3D right after it downloaded fine.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 23, 2014

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Excellent choice, maybe a worse movie than even the Seed of Chucky one(s? I wanna say there's a second?).

Also not sure if this is an itunes being itunes thing or what but it seems like half of the Your Stupid Minds podcast back catalog just won't download in it? Like it seems to just randomly have 2 or 3 episode chunks that just never go past the start of the download but if you move on the rest can be downloaded. I couldn't get Vampirella (a travesty) but Dracula 3D right after it downloaded fine.

Is that an iTunes Podcast app thing? I keep hearing similar things happening with Alcohollywood, but not really sure what to do about it. If so, I'm at least thankful it might not just be me not getting it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ugh gently caress I just realized it's too late to call in The Love Guru for this years listener request month. I hope someone else did.

NewtonFig
Apr 28, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I tested it out in iTunes on my computer and it worked for me. I use Downcast instead of the Podcasts app so I can't test it on my phone. It seems to work fine for me, but I'll definitely give you the benefit of the doubt since iTunes can often be objectively terrible.

You may want to try downloading episodes directly from our completely neglected LibSyn page. At some point I will add direct downloads to our podcast episode list but if you're still having trouble let me know.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Grapplejack posted:

Ugh gently caress I just realized it's too late to call in The Love Guru for this years listener request month. I hope someone else did.

Oh, speaking of listener request, anybody submitted something interesting for the currently ongoing WHM animation damnation listener write-in thing?

It might have been low-hanging fruit, but I recommended the 'Car Hater' episode of the old Speed Racer cartoon, everyone should watch it.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Welp, I had to do it, I bought tickets to the After Dark film festival on Halloween just so I can see WHM live riff Halloween 3.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tomahawk posted:

Welp, I had to do it, I bought tickets to the After Dark film festival on Halloween just so I can see WHM live riff Halloween 3.

I'm honestly bummed that I can't see this. I don't care about the rest of the marathon, I just want to see them do live commentary.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

A Meat posted:

Oh, speaking of listener request, anybody submitted something interesting for the currently ongoing WHM animation damnation listener write-in thing?

I sent in a recommend for the short lived Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm cartoon since they reviewed the live action movie this summer.

The show isn't bad, but I think they could have some fun with it since Raiden in the show is even more surly and dismissive than Lambert's movie version.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Grapplejack posted:

No one should ever be asked to watch The Love Guru. That's just cruel.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gyges posted:

No one should ever be asked to watch The Love Guru. That's just cruel.

I really should have called in and ask for Mac and Me or Tiptoes. Maybe next time.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I requested Deathwish 3 and I really hope they do it because I don't think they've done any Charles Bronson movies and it's pretty much the perfect insight into his career.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Tomahawk posted:

I requested Deathwish 3 and I really hope they do it because I don't think they've done any Charles Bronson movies and it's pretty much the perfect insight into his career.

We also covered Death Wish 3, because it's got everything: reverse mohawks, bazookas, shooting purse-snatchers with enormous hand cannons, Bill from Bill and Ted trying to rape Deanna Troi. Everything! http://www.yourstupidminds.com/2013/02/podcast-death-wish-3.html

laz0rbeak fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 25, 2014

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

And it has The Giggler :smugdog:

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

The Duke posted:

And it has The Giggler :smugdog:

They had no business doing that, none.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Kind of surprised not to see any discussion of The Flop House's live show that happened last week. They did "I Know Who Killed Me" at the Alamo Drafthouse in Yonkers and it was honestly one of the very best live commentaries I've ever seen. The movie itself must be seen to be believed. It just hits every single note wrong, and is astonishing in how much it steals from Dario Argento, David Lynch, and 70s Brian DePalma. Lindsey Lohan has a rubbery robot arm for about a third of it, and at points has clearly forgotten her lines and is just rambling. I went with a friend and we spent probably 20 minutes afterwards discussing how bad the movie was as opposed to how much we enjoyed the live commentary.

Tomahawk posted:

I'm going to that too, but staying for the whole 12-hour marathon because why not. Jupin's posted clues as to what's playing and there's some movies that'll be interesting to see on a big screen.

laz0rbeak posted:

We also covered Death Wish 3, because it's got everything: reverse mohawks, bazookas, shooting purse-snatchers with enormous hand cannons, Bill from Bill and Ted trying to rape Deanna Troi. Everything! http://www.yourstupidminds.com/2013/02/podcast-death-wish-3.html
:downs: My feet hurt

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I hate all you New Yorkers, nothing fun happens in Texas.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I hate everyone who has access to a Alamo Drafthouse and the awesome movie events therein.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
gently caress you Americans.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Robert Denby posted:

I'm going to that too, but staying for the whole 12-hour marathon because why not. Jupin's posted clues as to what's playing and there's some movies that'll be interesting to see on a big screen.

Oh I'm staying too. Should be a ton of fun.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I just thought of a bad movie category I don't hear enough about. Bad Dramas that are obviously fishing for an Oscar. Have the WHM guys or anyone else ever cover those kind of movies?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 27, 2014

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

BigRed0427 posted:

I just thought of a bad movie category I don't hear enough about. Bad Dramas that are obviously fishing for an Oscar. Have the WHM guys or anyone else ever cover those kind of movies?

It didn't have the same scale, but at least one of those shows did "Passion Play," which at least came from the same level of earnestness. I feel that a cynical Oscar grab would be like a bad comedy - less fun/bad and more painfully dull.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Oscar bait dramas tend to be very well made bummers. Maybe not the best fodder for yuk-em-ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
I think one of the podcast did Tiptoes, the "Gary Oldman is a small person" movie. It's a terrible movie