Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

my grandfather used linux on the desktop in his late 80s, circa 2000? 2001?

hmm yes that's completely relevant to my point about new computer users with no past experience (if you don't understand why this is more important than retraining some old hats, well, you probably don't have a very good grasp on what's happening in the job market in america)

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it may surprise you that retraining costs are minimized when you don't go out of your way to defy every user expectation

you could teach someone how to get around gnome well enough in about an hour, whether they touched a computer before or not.

how long would it take you to train someone to use windows?

kde? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Soricidus posted:

hmm yes, we will find many people who love radical change among the users of this conservative clone of a 1960s os running a gui system from the 1980s

unix is from the 70s :goonsay:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

for real i had to do an assignment on a mac once and I couldnt understand why it didnt terminate when I pressed the red x in teh corner of the window

blessèd steve :)

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

itt we discuss which lunix is clearly the most usable over all other lunixes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Is windows 2 the OS equivalent of cat 4 cable

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

edit: never mind, this post didn't make any sense and I don't feel like fixing it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pseudorandom name posted:

edit: never mind, this post didn't make any sense and I don't feel like fixing it

The the answer was red hat Enterprise Ubuntu

pram
Jun 10, 2001
unfortunately, as 2014 draws to a close, it doesnt look like this will be the year. maybe 2015 will be the year of linux on the desktop

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lunix

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
as 2014 draws to a close we discover the year of linux on the desktop was inside us all along

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Captain Foo posted:

Is windows 2 the OS equivalent of cat 4 cable

Windows 2 and OS/2 Presentation Manager are what Motif's design is based on

and by extension 4D and FVWM

Notorious BSD would feel right at home

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Fib posted:

as 2014 draws to a close we discover the year of linux on the desktop was inside us all along

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Symbolic Butt posted:

unix is from the 70s :goonsay:
I am shamed

this looks like a good desktop experience. it's even making buttcoin look slick and user-friendly.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

for real i had to do an assignment on a mac once and I couldnt understand why it didnt terminate when I pressed the red x in teh corner of the window

this is the best feature of macs because its a great test to see if you're a sperg

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
⌘+Q for all ur sperg sating needs

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
it annoys me that the minimise and close buttons to the same thing.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

i sorry but the tests came back and you're a sperg and theres no cure

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

posting

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

power botton posted:

i sorry but the tests came back and you're a sperg and theres no cure

finally, I have some closure

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

finally, I have some closure

Lucky for you Yospos is the best support group out there

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

oval office AND PASTE posted:

see yall next week for "browser tabs are for idiot children"

:staredog:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bobbilljim posted:

agreed, op

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

what about lxqt? posting from lxqt as we speak

a viable alternative for xfce refugees, since xfce is doomed if they don't switch away from gtk+:2

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

a viable alternative for xfce refugees, since xfce is doomed if they don't switch away from gtk+:2

gtk2 is actively maintained

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hmm yes that's completely relevant to my point about new computer users with no past experience (if you don't understand why this is more important than retraining some old hats, well, you probably don't have a very good grasp on what's happening in the job market in america)

there are no "new computer users with no past experience," they do not exist. 76% of homes and 100% of schools have computers in them already, and approximately 0% of them are running gnome 3.x. every user who touches gnome 3 has a prior experience with a system that is not gnome 3

windows 95 mostly got poo poo right, and pretending that they didn't so you can ~*~ innovate ~*~ is just the wrong thing to do

p.s. you are the one who brought up old people, not me. nice goalpost moving from "your grandma" to "new computer users"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

Windows 2 and OS/2 Presentation Manager are what Motif's design is based on

one of cde's explicit design goals was to provide something as user friendly as windows 3.0

because go figure, they wanted their system to be usable by people familiar with the competition

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
windows 95 got poo poo? I remember everyone coming from MS-DOS or Windows 3.1 loving it

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
gnome 3 is a masterclass case study in the linux "if it's broken you can fix it yourself" mentality

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

win95 is oooooolllllld so we have to throw out everything that was good about it in order to ~~innovate~~~.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
lmao some fuckwit (probably Ian of Deb-Ian) is trying to submit another vote to make Debian init-agnostic and to force packages to be init-agnostic or be removed

slogsdon posted:

putting linux users in jail is good policy imo

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

api call girl posted:

lmao some fuckwit (probably Ian of Deb-Ian) is trying to submit another vote to make Debian init-agnostic and to force packages to be init-agnostic or be removed

It was Ian Jackson. He is not Ian of Deb-Ian.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Suspicious Dish posted:

It was Ian Jackson. He is not Ian of Deb-Ian.

ah well it was a guess from when I skimmed that poo poo

Ian Jackson not Ian Murdock

gently caress him for that tho

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I still use fluxbox

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

a very good grasp on what's happening in the job market in america

idk, my intuition tells me that the demand for people who can use gnome3 is p low in america's job market

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Tankakern posted:

I still use xfce it is fine

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

how is lxqt? I would assume that it's still very unfinished.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

install gentoo

the just released 0.8.0 works with qt5 and seems nice enough, but i still have to manually tweak the openbox config

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

dwm supremacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Isn't Linux Mint more like Windows 7 than Vista? I mean it does the whole "automatically make window half the size of the screen when window is dragged to the edge of the screen" thing