Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Comparing Alex's (initial) 1.5 year ban after a lengthy investigation to Trevor's 4 year ban almost immediately, I wonder if we're going to see an update to their cheating policies to make the punishments harsher. They've clearly learned that 1.5 years isn't enough time off to encourage people to stop cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

And ironically Alex continues to cheat and get away with it and we carry on as if it was just another fact of life. Birds and the bees.

But ya I am actually curious now and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the situation is different and Alex really is one of those typical grinders who have nothing better to do in the weekends and works at the comic book shop just to get by. It doesn't strike me as the reaction of someone with something to lose.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Comparing Alex's (initial) 1.5 year ban after a lengthy investigation to Trevor's 4 year ban almost immediately, I wonder if we're going to see an update to their cheating policies to make the punishments harsher. They've clearly learned that 1.5 years isn't enough time off to encourage people to stop cheating.

1.5 years seems like not enough time to pretty much say. "You aren't welcome in this game anymore." 4 years is.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
I like to think that Wizards saw that post, told him it was now five, and asked him if he'd like to leave it up and try for six.

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.
Cheating with advantageous misplays doesn't make my skin crawl like stacking someone's deck so they literally start the game with a disadvantage.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Recess Rapist posted:

Cheating with advantageous misplays doesn't make my skin crawl like stacking someone's deck so they literally start the game with a disadvantage.

One definitely has a higher chance to win you the game but they are basically the same thing.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sickening posted:

One definitely has a higher chance to win you the game but they are basically the same thing.

Watching games where Bertoncini is cheating is certainly more fun than watching games where Humphreys causes his opponent to mulligan multiple times.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 24, 2014

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I love it when people say "why do you care so much, it's just a card game! :hurr:" after they get caught cheating. If it's just a card game and it doesn't matter, why the gently caress are you cheating? And that's before figuring in the thousands of dollars at stake for a big tournament. I think he should have to pay back the prizes from every tournament he's won in addition to the 4 year ban. Maybe then people will decide that the risk outweighs the reward of cheating.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It looks like we have the mental magic and parlor tricks magic areas covered. Now I want to see some illusion magic: pull an entirely new deck of black lotuses out of their opponent's ear. And then proceed to place it in a box and chop it in half. :evilbuddy:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Im not sure what it is about cheating at Magic that makes it feel so scummy. I mean I agree it is. At the same time though, I'm a big fan of Baseball, and I love love love all those crazy old-school cheats that pitchers do (all manner of creams and rubs and poo poo all over their glove/hat/arms/neck/whatever). Hell in auto racing, there's an ages old saying "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't trying".

I wonder what makes one so much worse/different than the other?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

toadee posted:

Im not sure what it is about cheating at Magic that makes it feel so scummy. I mean I agree it is. At the same time though, I'm a big fan of Baseball, and I love love love all those crazy old-school cheats that pitchers do (all manner of creams and rubs and poo poo all over their glove/hat/arms/neck/whatever). Hell in auto racing, there's an ages old saying "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't trying".

Because you're involved in it. Same thing with jokes. It's all funny until someone jokes about something that's close to you.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

En Fuego posted:

Because you're involved in it. Same thing with jokes. It's all funny until someone jokes about something that's close to you.

Well I played Baseball through high school and Im sure some of the guys I hit against were using pine tar to grip their curves. Just part of the game though. Similarly, I do fencing, and especially in epee (where touches count anywhere on the body) there's a lot of grey area that occurs when a fencer goes for a foot touch and hits the floor instead of a foot. I mean, you know drat well the second it happens whether you touched the floor or a foot, but I have never in a competition heard a fencer say anything other than "not sure, I touched something" when asked, which leaves it up to a judge who (unless you're at the olympics) has no way to go and review what actually happened. It's just part of how things work.

For some reason though all these things in 'traditional sports' don't bother me at all whereas MTG has this mental image of no cheaters never.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Cheating at a physical sport usually involves tweaking one of the physical parameters of the game in a way that makes you appear extra-skillful. Cheating with advantageous misplays is analogous to this, and less offensive. Cheating by stacking a deck doesn't create the illusion of skill, it creates the illusion of luck.

Nobody likes losing to luck, and everybody's used to writing poo poo off as "variance," so finding out that your opponent used that bias toward accepting bad luck to hide a cheat is infuriating.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

toadee posted:

If I had to guess, it would probably be because in sports your opponent can still do something about it whereas in magic you can't. Sure a little pine tar on your hands gives you a slightly better grip on the ball, and maybe that lets you curve your curveball a little tighter, but the batter still has a shot at hitting the ball regardless of what kind of spin you put on it. With magic cheating, I don't have an opportunity to not draw a decent hand after my opponent shuffles 10 nonlands to the top.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/statement-regarding-recent-community-concerns-2014-10-24

quote:

A Statement Regarding Recent Community Concerns

With 46 Grand Prix, four Pro Tours, a World Magic Cup, a World Championship, hundreds of Pro Tour Qualifiers, thousands of store-level events, and a large number of community-run premier-level tournaments taking place in 2014, the Magic community is a passionate and busy one. Many of these players demonstrate a strong level of sportsmanship, integrity, and passion.

However, the actions of a few do not reflect the general community’s integrity and sportsmanship. When players in the community reach out to us with these concerns and, where evidence is provided, it is reviewed through an impartial committee of experts.

Participants at events are expected to act with sportsmanlike conduct, and are expected to value the integrity of games that are played. Unsportsmanlike conduct, which includes cheating, is not welcome at any Magic event and violates the Magic Code of Conduct and tournament floor rules.

We appreciate having a fast-acting, passionate, and active community, with millions of players who value the sportsmanship and integrity expected at the hundreds of thousands of Magic events run globally every year, for bringing these matters to our attention.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I fence too (saber, suck it épée!) but I think a lot of it stems from the inherent granularity of physical sports that results in greater grey areas which results in more forgiveness. In magic the actions are much more cut and dry and the questions rely on more intent where there is much more choice in the matter. In football the definition of what a completed pass is or in boxing a successful punch is much more difficult to ascertain unless we have ways to observe and define with pure physics in terms of angular momentum and forces. It's a lot harder to measure that than it is to measure discrete actions in magic.

drat, phone posting is slow sometimes

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

And, regarding this thread's concern of Bertoncini:
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/suspended-dci-memberships-2014-10-24

alex Bertoncini 1205286779 cortlandt manor NY United States 2014-10-24 2017-10-24

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

And ironically Alex continues to cheat and get away with it and we carry on as if it was just another fact of life. Birds and the bees.

But ya I am actually curious now and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the situation is different and Alex really is one of those typical grinders who have nothing better to do in the weekends and works at the comic book shop just to get by. It doesn't strike me as the reaction of someone with something to lose.

alex Bertoncini 1205286779 cortlandt manor NY United States 2014-10-24 2017-10-24

Didn't get away. E;fb

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

quote:

The 2014 World Championship, which takes place on December 2, 3, and 7 in Nice, France, will be undergoing a minor shift in which formats competitors will play on which days.

On Day One, players will compete in three rounds of real-life Vintage Masters Booster Draft followed by four rounds of Modern. Vintage Masters booster packs will be generated on Magic Online and physically re-constructed for this event.

On Day Two, players will compete in three rounds of Khans of Tarkir Booster Draft followed by four rounds of Standard.

The Top 4, which takes place on December 7, will be played using the Standard Constructed decks that the players used on Day Two of the event.

The Event Information page for the 2014 World Championship has been updated with this information, and competitors will be notified of these changes today.

Vintage Masters in paper at the World Championship.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

With Bertoncheaty style cheating its much harder to detect intent, and if you prosecute it too strongly you risk penalizing people for honest mistakes.
With the bottom dealing intent is blatantly clear and there is no argument to made for innocence so it makes sense that the punishment would be harsher.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

So what did poor old Alex do this time because he hasn't been in the spotlight as much as Humphries.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/suspended-dci-memberships-2014-10-24

Brainstorm was just too tempting!

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I want a magic league where all the banned magic players are taken out of supermax and play for amnesty

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

pakman posted:

So what did poor old Alex do this time because he hasn't been in the spotlight as much as Humphries.

Didn't put 2 back for brainstorm

http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/2jx8gu/alex_bertoncini_may_have_also_cheated_at_scg/

quote:

Alex was playing in round 4 of the Legacy open against a 12-post opponent who had 2 Islands and 5 post lands in play, while alex had 3 Volcs, one Island, and one Fetchland in play, along with a Young Pyromancer and a Blood Moon. Alex's opponent draws a card, and casts Candelabra, which resolves. He passes priority to Alex, who casts Price of Progess. Opp then casts Repeal targeting Alex's Pyromancer. Alex responds with a Pyroblast, and his Opp casts Flusterstorm for 5 copies. Alex thinks for a moment, and then casts Brainstorm. It resolves, and he draws 3 cards, going up to 6 cards in hand. At this point, Alex looks at his hand, thinks for a bit, and then organizes every spell on the stack in a physical stack to make things more clear, but he leaves the brainstorm in his graveyard. He then asks his Opp what the copies of Flusterstorm are targeting, to which his Opp says "all on Price". Then Alex asks his opp if the Pyroblast resolves against Repeal. His Opp says "yes", and so Alex says that Flusterstorm resolves. He then untaps his lands and draws a card for his turn.
If you haven't noticed, Alex failed to fully resolve Brainstorm when he did not place two cards from his hand onto the top of his deck. At this point, my friend and I quickly leave to call a judge over. My friend is the one who tells the judge to follow him, and at this point I stop watching the game.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

pakman posted:

Cruising for value and ignoring his opponents triggers to do so.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

AnacondaHL posted:

Yesss :vince:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Cernunnos posted:

Cruising for value and ignoring his opponents triggers to do so.

This was actually legit, oddly enough, I pointed out the actual cheat above :|

Looks like Alex might know better than to cheat on camera, who knows.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Zoness posted:

This was actually legit, oddly enough, I pointed out the actual cheat above :|

Looks like Alex might know better than to cheat on camera, who knows.

I was remembering the week before where I'm pretty sure he did do that.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Cernunnos posted:

I was remembering the week before where I'm pretty sure he did do that.

If you're talking about his match against glancy at worcester he actually removed a land and had 7 cards not counting the land to pay for treasure cruise, as can be seen if you look really closely. I'm obviously not trying to defend the scumbag but it's important to be clear about what's actually cheating and what's not.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Zoness posted:

If you're talking about his match against glancy at worcester he actually removed a land and had 7 cards not counting the land to pay for treasure cruise, as can be seen if you look really closely. I'm obviously not trying to defend the scumbag but it's important to be clear about what's actually cheating and what's not.

Ah. Fair enough.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

It looks like there were reports of a ton of Brainstorm as Ancestral Recall.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AnacondaHL posted:

Also confirms Humphries got 4 years. I think it is for the best, cheating was becoming a joke because of Alex and how he just gave no fucks and kept right on when he came back.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Uh oh, I hope none of you are Jared Boettcher fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUDJ9ioabJE&t=506s

for 8:30 and 12:30 he moves the exact bottom card of the deck to the top using chops and then does not change the top card of the deck. he makes a false cut on the 12:30 shuffle. i am checking the first two.
edit: also on 5:25. 2:30 is hard to tell what he moves to the top, could be multiple cards, could be one.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 24, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Good to see Wizards settling all family business today.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Uh oh, I hope none of you are Jared Boettcher fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUDJ9ioabJE

for 8:30 and 12:30 he moves the exact bottom card of the deck to the top using chops and then does not change the top card of the deck. he makes a false cut on the 12:30 shuffle. i am checking the first two.
edit: also on 5:25. 2:30 is hard to tell what he moves to the top, could be multiple cards, could be one.

C'mon let's try to stay current here

https://twitter.com/illethia/status/525668964350046208

quote:

@thoughtxriot @jjflipped dci has dismissed the allegations against me, I've already talked with them. Witch hunts need to stop.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

You do you see the timestamp on that tweet?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Patrick Sullivan @BasicMountain · 27m 27 minutes ago
3 years seems light, given previous history, but I'll take it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The DCI ban list is weird. There are multiple people with bans that last until 2049 or 2055 or 2099. Are those supposed to be lifetime bans and they're just inconsistent in how they enter them? Then there's also people banned until 9999-12-31

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

You do you see the timestamp on that tweet?

More recent than your post?

I already looked at the videos and it's definitely shady looking, but so does Jorge Iramain's shuffle from 2012 worlds and ultimately nothing happened in either case so v:shobon:v.

The case in point is that it's possible to accidentally shuffle in a shady-looking way and that's why punitive measures for cheaters are hard to deal out fairly and efficiently. I agree that the 2:35 shuffle looks pretty bad, but it's also somewhat plausible, and realistically a LOT of people have awful shuffling habits.

• Locked thread