Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got this one. Used the steak knives I sharpened with it last night and they cut through rib eye like it was tenderloin. Very pleased with the result and a lot easier than the spyderco sharp maker.

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-...ywords=edge+pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
That's the one I ordered, took it to my kiritsuke that needed serious thinning after I chipped it a few months ago, it's about 1/8in shorter now, but cuts like butter. I definitely recommend this thing, although I may order some Shapton glass pro stones, I'd really like a 15k mirror polished edge. This thing came with a 120, 320, 600, and 1500.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Has anyone tried those estone stones that are always recommended when you buy the clones?

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 21, 2014

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

<self-promotion>

I'm selling off my Moritaka cleaver: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3673098

Dropping the price to $240, but figured I'd see if anyone in this thread is interested before I updated the price and bumped the sale post.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
If you had to receive a knife block set, somewhere between $500 and $1000, what would it be?

Gun to your head, no "i'd take it and sell it and buy a single $1000 fish knife" stuff.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Beast of Bourbon posted:

If you had to receive a knife block set, somewhere between $500 and $1000, what would it be?

Gun to your head, no "i'd take it and sell it and buy a single $1000 fish knife" stuff.

It seems like you're asking "Give me incredibly bad opinions on the subject exclusively". You don't need a knife block set. Get a 30 dollar set of steak knives, a petty, a chef's knife, a bread knife, maybe a long serrated if you suck at cutting things which I suspect you do; It won't be 500 loving dollars to accomplish that with top of the line poo poo and you'll get all the utility I'm assuming you want from it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
So I'm thinking about replacing my crappy Ikea Santoku and OXO 4" parring knife with some Tojiro DP knives plus a decent steel and sharpening setup. I'm trying to decide between the 170mm Santoku or 240mm Gyuto. I know that the Gyuto would be better for large cuts of meat but I don't work with those too often, I also know it would be better for mincing garlic and herbs because of the larger curve. However I'm pretty used to the Santoku shape and I feel like the length of the Gyuto might be awkward to get used to, any opinions?

P.S. This is just for home cooking, I am not a professional or anything.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like you already know you want the santoku. Get what you want, not what someone else would prefer.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Sounds like you already know you want the santoku. Get what you want, not what someone else would prefer.

Well, I've never really used a chef's knife style knife much so I'm pretty tempted to experiment with something new.

BTW, how are the cheap bladeguards from chefknivestogo?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Anyone have experience with the wicked edge sharpening system? In the UK it's pretty close in price to the edgepro setup (and not wildly different to getting a knockoff edgepro with a set of better stones given the stones here are $30 each).

To me it looks easier to use than edgepro and offers more consistency because of being able to keep the same settings whenever you sharpen the knife, but i'm not sure if i'm just throwing money at the shiny. I was figuring that with a decent amount of money spent on knives I should be prepared to invest in maintaining them.

PST fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 22, 2014

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I got this one. Used the steak knives I sharpened with it last night and they cut through rib eye like it was tenderloin. Very pleased with the result and a lot easier than the spyderco sharp maker.

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-...ywords=edge+pro

The product description says it's fixed-angle, but the reviews seem to suggest the angle is adjustable. Can you adjust the angle on that to sharpen on a smaller angle? My knives are mostly Japanese-made and I don't want to sharpen them on too large an angle.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's definitely adjustable. I think they just mean that you can set the angle at a fixed spot.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Great, thank you!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, I've never really used a chef's knife style knife much so I'm pretty tempted to experiment with something new.

If you want to experiment with a chef's knife, just buy a Victorinox Fibrox and play with that. It's super cheap and even if you end up not caring that greatly for it, it's decent quality and can hang around in your drawer as a "beater" knife. Like, I have a nice gyuto, but if I'm just slicing an avocado in half, I'll use my Victorinox, stab the pit and smack it against the trash can to dislodge it, poo poo like that. Also pretty handy for stabbing/slicing home intruders.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'd say if you're used to smaller knives and are only using it in a home kitchen that you might want to consider a 210mm gyuto instead of 240mm. They tend to feel a little more comfortable to home cooks and fit a little better on smaller boards/cramped kitchens.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

That's the one I ordered, took it to my kiritsuke that needed serious thinning after I chipped it a few months ago, it's about 1/8in shorter now, but cuts like butter. I definitely recommend this thing, although I may order some Shapton glass pro stones, I'd really like a 15k mirror polished edge. This thing came with a 120, 320, 600, and 1500.

Before you buy, remember that there's not one universal system for stone grit. If you want to get a stupid sharp edge on the cheap, an old belt and polishing paste is a good buy.

electricmonk500
May 6, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So I'm thinking about replacing my crappy Ikea Santoku and OXO 4" parring knife with some Tojiro DP knives plus a decent steel and sharpening setup. I'm trying to decide between the 170mm Santoku or 240mm Gyuto. I know that the Gyuto would be better for large cuts of meat but I don't work with those too often, I also know it would be better for mincing garlic and herbs because of the larger curve. However I'm pretty used to the Santoku shape and I feel like the length of the Gyuto might be awkward to get used to, any opinions?

P.S. This is just for home cooking, I am not a professional or anything.

I was using a smaller dirt cheap chinese-style cleaver (so pretty much like your santoku) before I got a 240mm Tojiro Gyuto. I wouldn't worry too much about this kind of decision, even if you decide on the Gyuto and find you're not totally comfortable with it to start you'll get used to it eventually as long as you realize it's used a bit differently than a santoku. I personally found it interesting to learn how to use the different style of knife more effectively over time.

What WILL prevent you from being able to use a longer knife comfortably is having a cutting board that's too small for it, in which case it would be nothing but infuriating. I'd say to be totally safe in this regard your board should be at least as wide in both directions as the entire length of the knife (i.e. blade + handle). You would probably do just as well with the 210mm version if you're really worried about it being too long, but I've never found the length of the 240mm to be of any disadvantage so long as the cutting board is appropriately sized.

But again, as others have said, if you already know you like santokus then that would obviously be the safer bet.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Hey guys. I'm getting married soon and totally wanna get some kick rear end knives. I've pretty much written off any European knives due to this thread and others.

I have one Tojiro DP Chef knive (or gyuto I guess).

I have no loving clue how to sharpen. I got one of these and tried to do as I saw in videos/instructions and did not seem to get anywhere. So as of right now, after months of usage, its dull as gently caress.

I want to learn how to sharpen my existing knife and see its true potential. I also want to get a few more kick rear end knives (the famous Chinese cleaver, maybe a santoku, and one or 2 more?)

I think for the most part I want good stainless (as opposed to carbon) only because my future wife tends to less careful in cleaning the knife than I am. I think maybe i'd like to get one good carbon knife, though, to see what all the fuss about.

So basically I'm asking for some sharpening tips/purchase recommendations and then some purchase recommendations for a relatively inexperienced knife guy like me. I do love to cook and chop all kinds of stuff.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug

Gozinbulx posted:

Hey guys. I'm getting married soon and totally wanna get some kick rear end knives. I've pretty much written off any European knives due to this thread and others.

I have one Tojiro DP Chef knive (or gyuto I guess).

I have no loving clue how to sharpen. I got one of these and tried to do as I saw in videos/instructions and did not seem to get anywhere. So as of right now, after months of usage, its dull as gently caress.

I want to learn how to sharpen my existing knife and see its true potential. I also want to get a few more kick rear end knives (the famous Chinese cleaver, maybe a santoku, and one or 2 more?)

I think for the most part I want good stainless (as opposed to carbon) only because my future wife tends to less careful in cleaning the knife than I am. I think maybe i'd like to get one good carbon knife, though, to see what all the fuss about.

So basically I'm asking for some sharpening tips/purchase recommendations and then some purchase recommendations for a relatively inexperienced knife guy like me. I do love to cook and chop all kinds of stuff.

Well - first off, you have a very good knife and if you replace it, you'll end up with the same problem soon. Doesn't mean you can't put knives on your registry of course. There's a nice Tojiro DP Santoku (I have one and my wife loves it) and it's hard to mess up buying some paring knives. I think a 4-5 inch serrated utility knife can also be very useful (sometimes called 'tomato knife') but as this thread has pointed out a thousand times, the three knives you need are chef, paring, and bread.

I'm not really clear on why you want carbon. I mean, it's fine, but to my mind the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. Will it make a huge difference to you in the kitchen? Not really. I mean, carbon can (doesn't always) have a better balance between hardness and toughness, but the fact that it's vulnerable to both moisture and acid are pretty major in my mind. You won't see a functional improvement over a good knife like a Tojiro, is what I'm saying. If you're really curious, maybe buy an Opinel, like this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Opinel-No8-Carbon-Pocket-Knife/dp/B002SCUO04/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414103112&sr=8-1&keywords=opinel+carbone

Notice that Opinel makes a lot of kitchen knives too, but that those are all stainless!

For sharpening, I think sharpeners based on the Edge Pro model are the easiest to get consistent results with without requiring a ton of skill.

http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek%C2%AE-...2FH9V3N35ZZJ29J

Just make sure you set the angle yourself - often the preset angles are totally off. Somewhere between 20 and 16 degrees is good for most regular double-beveled kitchen knives.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

ma i married a tuna posted:

I'm not really clear on why you want carbon. I mean, it's fine, but to my mind the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. Will it make a huge difference to you in the kitchen? Not really. I mean, carbon can (doesn't always) have a better balance between hardness and toughness, but the fact that it's vulnerable to both moisture and acid are pretty major in my mind.

Carbon knives aren't tougher, they're generally more fragile. They hold a wicked edge, and are my go to protein knives. Not vulnerable to moisture or acid at all really, just wipe your knife often enough, and let that patina develop.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Carbon knives aren't tougher, they're generally more fragile. They hold a wicked edge, and are my go to protein knives. Not vulnerable to moisture or acid at all really, just wipe your knife often enough, and let that patina develop.

Higher % carbon:
More brittle -> less malleable.

Basically the knife will chip more easily but the edge isn't subject to as much bending. I would say using a honing steel more often is less of an inconvenience than having your knife shatter when you inevitably drop it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Greatest Living Man posted:

Higher % carbon:
More brittle -> less malleable.
Yes, but most stainless steels and `super steels' have a higher carbon content than any cutlery you'll see called `carbon steel'. You call a carbon steel a carbon steel not because it has more carbon than all other steels, but because it doesn't have chromium, molybdenum, some kind of carbides, or whatever the gently caress. All else being equal a kitchen knife you see labelled `carbon steel' will be more malleable and less brittle than a kitchen knife labelled `stainless steel'.

It's actually a lot more complicated than that, because other factors---edge geometry, heat treatment, and so on---will often contribute more to the real-world behaviour of a piece of cutlery than the theoretical specs on the steel in it.

It is probably worth noting that `toughness' has a technical usage in materials science meaning, roughly, the opposite of brittleness (that is, the resistance of the material to fracturing). All else being equal, a soft carbon steel will tend to be tougher (in this usage) than a harder stainless steel. But, again, disclaimer disclaimer disclaimer, all else is usually not equal and what's been done with the steel must be considered before you can make assumptions about one blade's behaviour versus another blade.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, but we're talking kitchen knives here. In the current market, a carbon steel knife is usually japanese and HRC 62+. They're delicate, absolutely will chip if not cared for properly. In kitchen knives I don't think you're going to find many stainless knives that are harder than carbon counterparts.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Why have you written off European knives? They're a lot less forgiving about bad sharpening or rough handling and they get pretty much just as sharp as comparable Japanese knives.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Yeah, but we're talking kitchen knives here. In the current market, a carbon steel knife is usually japanese and HRC 62+. They're delicate, absolutely will chip if not cared for properly. In kitchen knives I don't think you're going to find many stainless knives that are harder than carbon counterparts.
Actually only a couple of the Shirogami and Aogami steels are actually carbon steels, despite often being called `carbon steel'. But whatever. The other carbon steels that you're likely to encounter in kitchen cutlery are what you find in e.g. CCK cleavers. Which are at completely at the other end of the scale in terms of hardness and general behaviour. A number of the traditional Western-style kitchen knife makers produce softer carbon steel chef's knives as well---e.g. Messermeister (although like Aogami their non-stainless steels are often called carbon steels even when they really aren't).

And kitchen knives with stainless blades up in the 60-62 HRC range aren't at all unusual these days. Tojiro treats VG-10 to 62 HRC, for example, and they're not exactly esoteric.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

SubG posted:

And kitchen knives with stainless blades up in the 60-62 HRC range aren't at all unusual these days. Tojiro treats VG-10 to 62 HRC, for example, and they're not exactly esoteric.

Tojiro DP series are actually 59-60. Their ITK series are 62-63, and I believe they're White #2.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Tojiro DP series are actually 59-60. Their ITK series are 62-63, and I believe they're White #2.
The Tojiro Flash line is VG-10 (well, it's a clad blade but the cutting edge is VG-10) which they claim is hardened to 62HRC (random web search result review which mentions this).

And this kind of makes the point. The blade steel is theoretically the same in the DP and the Flash knives, but the properties are different because of the different treatment.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah, once you get into the materials science side of it, it quickly becomes confusing unless you're REALLY invested. There's not a single best steel, since so many factors come into play. There are literally dozens of viable knife steels, which, if they get the right heat treat and are shaped and ground correctly, can all do comparable jobs.

That's not to say there are no differences, but it does make most blanket statements wildly inaccurate - except that the major, defining difference between stainless and carbon steel is susceptibility to oxidation. Moisture and acid hasten oxidation, and they're common in the kitchen.

It's easier and cheaper to make a carbon steel that's very hard while retaining toughness - which, as pointed out, is the opposite of brittleness - but neither carbon nor stainless escape the general rule that hardness correlates with brittleness. It's the balance between the two that makes a great knife material, and it's as dependent on the material as it is on the heat treat.

TL:DR: get one of the knives that's recommended over and over in this thread because they are good knives.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I couldn't find any CCK stuff in the local China town (neither the larger stores nor smaller hole in the wall shops.) Is there any cheaper place to get the small slicer than chefknivestogo.com? $60 seems like too much.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

How do ya'll feel about the Richmond Artifex AEB-L knives vs the Tojiro DP line? The Tojiros have nicer aesthetics to me but I'm more concerned about performance, usability and durability.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
What about ceramic knives?
Far as i saw they are quite sharp and tend to keep the sharpness, but i'm kind of scared that they will easily break!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just don't. They are nearly impossible to sharpen yourself and they break easily. They're a novelty material.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
But it was so nice when i first tried one!
Slicing the bread was like going through a piece of butter.
Sad that they are crap after they loose the sharp edge.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

How do ya'll feel about the Richmond Artifex AEB-L knives vs the Tojiro DP line? The Tojiros have nicer aesthetics to me but I'm more concerned about performance, usability and durability.

AEB-L is very flexible, I wouldn't use one for my chef's knife, I have the Artifex honesuki, and the flexibility there is great. I own the 10in DP gyuto, 12in DP suji, and the DP paring knife. All hold an edge for a few weeks at work before needing a light sharpen.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So it seems like the build and quality of the Edge Faux's is good enough, but are the stones up to snuff? I read some reviews saying the machine works well but to get the actual EdgePro stones.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My poo poo is sharper than when I bought it, but higher quality stones wouldn't hurt I'm sure. I'd try the stones that come with it first.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug

Gozinbulx posted:

So it seems like the build and quality of the Edge Faux's is good enough, but are the stones up to snuff? I read some reviews saying the machine works well but to get the actual EdgePro stones.

I haven't done the comparison, but I've used mine for at least 100 sharpenings and I can get shaving edges every time. Maybe the proper stones are better, but the ones that come with it work.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
The big problem with the edge faux stones can be the backing, you can buy flat bar steel off of Amazon ($10 for 36" or so, cheaper if you buy it local) cut it into 6 inch pieces and contact cement the stone to it when the plastic backing fails on your faux pro stones.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My parents sent me a care package for my first apartment, and my dad tossed in a 3-pack of knives. What are these things used for (are they all paring knives), and are they quality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

GobiasIndustries posted:

My parents sent me a care package for my first apartment, and my dad tossed in a 3-pack of knives. What are these things used for (are they all paring knives), and are they quality?

Those are different styles of paring knife, yes. I particularly like the sheepshoof one, the curved one on the bottom. I don't know what use the topmost is, but it might excel for small cutting work on veggies, etc. It would certainly work well for cutting cheese.

• Locked thread