Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I should figure out my halloween costume... I was trying to convince everyone at work that we should all dress as Hunter S. Thompson and charge into the management offices together, but that seems unlikely now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

And were out with a bladder infection. Nothing catastrophic today. :)

Also: Holy poo poo Slung Blade! You're my favorite DIY & Hobbies poster.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm probably just going to show up as a G-man again.

(halloween 2006. Not bad for $15 spent.)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kastein posted:

I'm probably just going to show up as a G-man again.

(halloween 2006. Not bad for $15 spent.)

Without a tie it makes you look more like a pianist or something. Gotta get the tie, man.

Goodwill suits are also good for going as the Blues Brothers, assuming you can find a fat or skinny friend to play the appropriate counterpart.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Checking in for the lazy costume crew. I got a Stitch onesie and my friend is going as Lilo. If it wasnt for my friend Id go as agent Cooper from Twin Peaks since I just got a new black suit but I thought of it too late. Definitely going as Cooper next year though since Twin Peaks is coming back in 2016 :woop:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm just throwing on my USAF uniform again. Its Guard Weekend the next day anyways, so technically I gotta get dressed.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Alighieri posted:

My best guess is at a minimum it might need something setup for weight sensing and position in the car, as for who the occupants are, I have no idea why that would be needed.

I misunderstood. How many people and what weight, important, who, not important.

Alighieri posted:

Why would it even need to know weight sensing and position for general driving down the road. Sure it will effect braking/acceleration as well as possible cornering speed but it isn't like the drat thing is going around a race track or pushing the tires in any way. Sure you could argue in bad conditions (snow/ice/flood) it may be useful. The car is going to have pretty similar handling capabilities for commuting duty whether there is a 125lb woman or 500lb worth of people in there.

Active safety devices, airbags inflate different amounts based on size of seat occupant. I'm sure future technologies will need to know what size and shape you are when they dispense the demolition man crash foam.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Tell that to my urologist.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
.....I'm strapping on a 737 for Halloween.

gently caress you guys. I hate flying.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Welp, the poo poo that went down in Ottawa the other day was awful but it sure has done a good job of pointing out to me which people on my FB friend list are racist dipshits who I should discontinue contact with.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

Welp, the poo poo that went down in Ottawa the other day was awful but it sure has done a good job of pointing out to me which people on my FB friend list are racist dipshits who I should discontinue contact with.

They are easy to spot in the US

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Without a tie it makes you look more like a pianist or something. Gotta get the tie, man.

Goodwill suits are also good for going as the Blues Brothers, assuming you can find a fat or skinny friend to play the appropriate counterpart.

Everyone got it right at the college party I threw it together for, so :effort:

The next time I bothered coming up with a costume (well, didn't) was when I showed up at a friends halloween house party an hour late and walked in the door wearing my usual street clothes. Beat up jeans, leather boots, beat up leather jacket, somewhat scruffy as usual. First half drunk girl who wanders by stares at me and goes "OH! You're the Terminator!"

... So I just said "I'll be back" and walked out again... broke one lens out of the lovely sunglasses I had on the dash and came back in. Costume: done.

I don't really believe in putting much effort into costumes.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kastein posted:

The next time I bothered coming up with a costume (well, didn't) was when I showed up at a friends halloween house party an hour late and walked in the door wearing my usual street clothes. Beat up jeans, leather boots, beat up leather jacket, somewhat scruffy as usual. First half drunk girl who wanders by stares at me and goes "OH! You're the Terminator!"

... So I just said "I'll be back" and walked out again... broke one lens out of the lovely sunglasses I had on the dash and came back in. Costume: done.

That is loving fantastic.

I still have my kendo poo poo around from college, I could throw that on and go as some sort of Kurosawa reject. My hair isn't quite long enough but white guys look stupid in ponytails anyway. We look stupid in kendogi too, but that's the price you pay for hitting nerds with sticks.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Alighieri posted:

My best guess is at a minimum it might need something setup for weight sensing and position in the car, as for who the occupants are, I have no idea why that would be needed.

I meant a general quantity field type of thing - unless we don't give the cars that information, so it at all times tries to save itself, even if it means plowing into other cars full of an unknown quantity of life forms.

The Midniter posted:

How does this happen, really? I mean I know the importance of hydration and work out a lot so I'm swigging water all day, but I recognize that not everyone's like that. Still though, people have to eat and drink, so how does one let oneself get so dehydrated (outside of a desert environment or somewhere you'd expect that to happen) to the point of passing out?

No idea. He works out for three hours each morning and drinks a metric gently caress ton of water each day, but he changed his routine a week ago and I'm thinking that may have something to do with it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CornHolio posted:

I meant a general quantity field type of thing - unless we don't give the cars that information, so it at all times tries to save itself, even if it means plowing into other cars full of an unknown quantity of life forms.

If my car doesn't do everything possible to save me, regardless of the occupants of other vehicles, it has failed. I'd hate to think it'll decide my head should be a crumple zone to save someone else's kids.

How angry would the miata thread get if you wandered in looking for a kit to replace your pop up headlights with built in ones?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If you're sitting down for a long time and you're dehydrated you might not notice until you stand up and promptly pass out

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

They are easy to spot in the US

Yeah we get a lot less sun, so our rednecks don't actually have red necks. makes it tricky :P

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I picked up a heap of solar powered halloween lights from Bunnings a couple of days ago on clearance. most of them are up in the yard already. I don't give a poo poo that Australia doesn't do the halloween thing. The lights are awesome.

Also 188km /42L tank :negative:

Ran out of fuel within sight of town this morning. Being prepared I had some fuel with me. I'm just at a loss now.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

12.6mpg? What are you driving?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pending a drug test, I'm now a full time overnight stalker stocker at a Wal-Mart neighborhood market.

I already know I'm going to get a call from the medical review officer about the test - I have a script for Librium (benzodiazepine), and got pumped full of Ativan (also a benzodiazepine) at the hospital. I called the MRO ahead of time to ask what I need - they said for the Librium, just the info from the bottle. For the hospital stuff, they'll need a copy of the medication list.

Stopped by the hospital and got my records. The medication list alone is nearly 15 pages. Also got a detailed billing statement. $70 for each shot of 2mg Ativan, $40 for each 10mg Celexa, and $550 for each banana bag. :stonk:

Fo3 posted:

Tried the full proper ubuntu install and then install regular google chrome as a browser?

Need a very specific boot loader for it to even think about it working, and you have to keep the laptop in developer mode. The boot loader/BIOS won't allow any other OS to be loaded.

keykey posted:

Holy poo poo, is that ram usage just off boot or do you have other background processes going?

I had that System app running, along with a screenshot app. Chrome was open in the background, I think with 1 tab open.

When I get home from work tonight, I'll run just System and the screenshot app alone.

rscott posted:

Um excuse me celeron 300As were faster than the equivalent pentium II and could easily be over clocked to 450 with a simple 66 to 100 fsb change, via never had a cpu that wasn't unmitigated garbage

On my board, you had to cut a trace on the CPU board to get to 450. And if it was unstable, you cut another one to bump the voltage up.

I had a 300 -> 450. :v:

goatse guy posted:

My ex had a manual 1998 Frontier for towing his formula 500 car and trailer. It had the smaller engine and it got the job done. It wasn't great, but it was adequate and good for the price. The Frontier was also loving unkillable.

The 4 cylinders had the KA24DE, which is a pretty drat tough engine.

Except for the timing chain guides.

Fucknag posted:

Nah, alcohol is enough of a diuretic that you piss out significantly more than you consume, about 60% more according to this:

Truth. I had 3 beers last night (yeah I know, shouldn't drink at all). Had to do a drug test this afternoon. After drinking almost a gallon of water, I was able to give them juuuuuust enough. And it took several minutes.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 24, 2014

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

some texas redneck posted:

PD is really easy to measure, if you can see within 18 inches. You can print a PDF (scaled to 100%) from Zenni and use a mirror - if your vision isn't good enough, have a friend measure it. You measure from the center of both pupils, centering the 0 on one pupil.

https://pd.warbyparker.com/ is pretty decent to verify using a credit card and webcam. Credit card because it's a standard size to compare to (show the mag stripe side, no risk of showing the CC # that way).

For single vision, 1-2mm off isn't a big deal. For you it would probably make a huge difference. If you're between numbers, round up to the next nearest whole number.

I got these for sunglasses. Here's a list of the tinting options, I went with grey3, which is incredibly dark (the darkest sunglasses I've ever owned). Slightly purple tint when looking through them, but they are dark enough that the moment the sun starts to go down, they're useless. You can add mirror tinting if you feel like being in the 90s, but mirror tint really doesn't work with that style of frame - they're hipster enough already.

Coupon code "goonsrookie" knocks $5 off. IIRC An order over $50 gets free shipping.

Thanks. I went back and looked - glasses for me are about $200 on O4L, and the others, really. $84 for the high index plastic lenses, plus a surcharge for the -10.5 sphere. Still reasonable, I guess.
I could get sunglasses first, I suppose, to test.
I used the credit card site to measure PD, and used a "spot" method (putting felt-tip dots on your lenses over a point while staring at said point with both eyes), and both came out to around 63-4mm, so I think I've got that right.

quote:

Well uh, there were kind of some 3 ways mixed in over a few years, but it's never been an issue before. And always started by them, not me. :blush: It's been nearly a year since we did anything, so this was kind of out of the blue when we've always regularly talked.

That last part is the bit that sucks. And I'm not judging on the first part (other than: way to go! :D)

PC chat: I just work on business-class PCs (PC janitor), and at home, I recently upgraded to a 4- or 5-year Apple Mac Pro quad-core 2.8 GHz Xeon. Runs 10.9 and Win 7. My old Mac Pro is also a 2.8 GHz, but a couple of years older with a dual dual-core Xeon. Upgraded that to 10.9 and Win 7 as well, moving out my old win XP HP XW6200, which was a castoff from work. Actually, they all are. Not sure why the Mac Pros were in the send to recyler bin, they work great, after I got some RAM for the newer one. I'm not sure that the old Mac guys are as technical as I was (as the previous Mac guy. Didn't get along with the Mac-guy-in-chief.) So, yeah, I buy my games from GOG.com and such. Trailing edge, basically. I've got my Xbox 360 and a PS3 for newer stuff, right?

Oh, almost forgot my Macbook Pro circa 2010, which is/was my work laptop. Optical drive failed, so I bought a hard drive adapter for the optical bay, threw the current hard drive in there, and put a 160 GB SSD in the main HDD slot. Man, what a speed boost! I keep all my data on the 750 GB in the optical bay. Good, solid little machine.

Using a Mac Mini as a file server too. Used to use an old Mac G5, but that thing put out a ridiculous amount of heat and noise just idling. Way overkill for file serving. The Mac Mini is cooler (literally) and faster. Runs PS3 Media Server nicely.

kastein posted:

Most people don't realize that they're dehydrated as a general rule. You're supposed to drink a lot more water than most do...

Also, appetite and thirst are similar and confused by a lot of people so they end up eating instead of drinking water. Presto, fat people. It's not the whole answer but it certainly is a part of it.

I usually go through 3-4 quarts a day in the winter and more in the summer. There have been days working on the house or various vehicles in the summer where I went through 3 gallons and still felt parched.

I have to be sure I drink plenty of water when working outside. I sweat like a pig - it keeps me cool (unless it's beastly humid, which it can be in N. Tx.) but obviously I can dehydrate pretty quickly. A buddy of mine suffered heat stroke a couple of times - now he has to be really careful to not dehydrate. I have no desire to be that on the edge. I like to make sure I have one of those 32 oz. plastic restaurant cups full of water handy all the time. Get a gulp or two any time I go into the garage for a tool or whatever.

e: Hope stocking works out better for you STR. There a re days I would much rather do that, then the PC janitor crap I do now, if only it paid as well. Hell, I helped my sister and brother string wire fence the last two weekends on my sister's land. I would rather do THAT than this... if I could live on the pay.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 24, 2014

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cakefool posted:

12.6mpg? What are you driving?

The Niva. 1.6L of Russian fury.

e: I also tried my hand at replacing the smashed touch screen on my phone last night. I used windscreen RTV to stick it on. It's the same thing only smaller... right?

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 24, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Were you towing the ferd uphill with the handbrake on?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

General_Failure posted:

e: I also tried my hand at replacing the smashed touch screen on my phone last night. I used windscreen RTV to stick it on. It's the same thing only smaller... right?

I glued the replacement screen into my Nexus 7 with 3M FasTack trim adhesive. Worked fine. What you used it probably even better suited.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cakefool posted:

Were you towing the ferd uphill with the handbrake on?

Nope. Dead flat here. No handbrake oopsies and no towing. Just around town and over to the next town this morning. I think it has a drinking problem.

e ^^^ I've ordered some special tape from HK or china for doing this, but it'll be a while and I wanted my Defy+ back. Bit of a bitch of a job because of the gaskets, O rings, fragile membranes etc.
I think the touchscreen I used was pretty lovely quality but oh well. I get what I pay for.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 24, 2014

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

keykey posted:

And were out with a bladder infection. Nothing catastrophic today. :)

Also: Holy poo poo Slung Blade! You're my favorite DIY & Hobbies poster.

Oh hey, thanks man. I try to be semi entertaining as I flounder my way through this poo poo. I've got stuff going on in ai too though, I have many varied interests.

I'm glad your wife is ok :unsmith:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
The Miata knows I want to get rid of it.

It just started pissing coolant on the way to work this morning while the fiancé was driving it. I go check it out, pour coolant in it, and it's coming out behind the timing cover.

This was the whole reason I bought a new water pump, not rebuilt junk!!!

:suicide:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

jamal posted:

People make a big deal of just driving a manual. At one of the shops I worked at our truck/tow vehicle was a 1-ton dodge diesel with the 6-speed. I liked that truck.

Yea thats probably it. My work truck is soooooo underpowered so I like being able to choose the gears for whatever situation Im in. 86 GMC dump truck that weighs 7640 empty with a stock 80s 350 that makes maybe 200 hp on its best day. With the trailer and equipment its probably close to 10k. I cant imagine an auto taking up any more power from that, I dont think it would even move.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Forgive me AI for I have sinned; my friend stopped by with his '79 Lil Red Express and I covet the poo poo out of it.

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 24, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Forgive me AI for I have sinned; my friend stopped by with his '79 Lil Red Express and I covet the poo poo out of it.

That ain't a sin, that's just plain reasonable.

Or to quote George Carlin, "'Coveting thy neighbor's goods' is what keeps the economy going!"

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

MonkeyNutZ posted:

That was one of the fastest things in 79 and also they rule.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Fart Pipe posted:

That was one of the fastest things in 79 and also they rule.

high 15s for quarter mile time. hahaha drat!

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

For those of you that were interested in the FLIR One from a few pages back there's now a cheaper option: http://obtain.thermal.com/category-s/1818.htm and it works on Android.

Looks like it would work pretty good for general 'where's my insulation lacking' and such tasks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cr8oZck5m8

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Galler posted:

For those of you that were interested in the FLIR One from a few pages back there's now a cheaper option: http://obtain.thermal.com/category-s/1818.htm and it works on Android.

Looks like it would work pretty good for general 'where's my insulation lacking' and such tasks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cr8oZck5m8

Interesting, specs of the thermal camera are better than the FLIR One, but does it have the overlay from the phone's stock camera? I still may get one to try it out... showing as backordered, wonder if they're actually shipping yet

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Doesn't do the overlay as FLIR has a patent on that. I think they sold out as there are a bunch of people with them already.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Galler posted:

Doesn't do the overlay as FLIR has a patent on that. I think they sold out as there are a bunch of people with them already.

Interesting, probably partially explains why FLIR is having $20 off the One right now.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Holy poo poo you guys have posted a lot in the last few days.

Thankfully my dad was able to bring me my spare set of keys on Tuesday and my Viola survived the cold weather.

Computerchat: Holy poo poo, you guys might have me beat. I have an old Inspiron 1520 running Xubuntu but I haven't turned it on in months. I have a Toshiba laptop from a few years ago too but I don't use that one as much either. My main box is a AMD 1090T. I will probably make this a HTPC eventually once I upgrade my machine. I also have an old AMD dual core I'm using kind of as a server/dedicated Linux box. I've been throwing around the idea of building a HTPC or buying a dedicated file server but I keep not doing that.

I promised myself I wouldn't upgrade my computer until I hit 165 lbs. This was when I was around 175 lbs and I ballooned back up to 185. :(.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I just upgraded my machine 2 weeks ago for the first time in 8 years. Was rocking a core 2 duo, 4gb of ram, 7200 rpm drive, and a gtx 275. Now I'm running an i7, 16gb ddr3, samsung 840 pro, and a gtx 780. It should last me another 8 years.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

keykey posted:

I just upgraded my machine 2 weeks ago for the first time in 8 years. Was rocking a core 2 duo, 4gb of ram, 7200 rpm drive, and a gtx 275. Now I'm running an i7, 16gb ddr3, samsung 840 pro, and a gtx 780. It should last me another 8 years.

:feelsgood:

If my last remaining guilty-pleasure videogame addiction wasn't the Battlefield series, I'd get 8 years out of a PC too. My best friend and I still multi the poo poo out of each version as they drop, and it's kind of our way of remaining best friends despite living in different states. Thus, I drop about $1k on building a new system every 2-3 years.

Nothing like the fresh plasticy smell of new PC components in a Newegg box.

I did see something awhile back about a new tactical shooter by some of the original guys who did/modded R6/Rogue Spear... that might make me buy a new card because I loving loved those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I was going to post an incredibly long rant about work, but you know what? I'll just sum it up with the following: Government agencies are loving awful and bureaucratic bullshit is the absolute worst.

• Locked thread