Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

lurker1981 posted:

I feel bad for Michael Moore.

He was skinny before he made that 'SuperSize Me' documentary, and now he can't lose the weight no matter what he does. Exposing McDonald's as being an absolute monster that was giving American citizens cheap, affordable "food" was important, but at what cost? They got rid of the supersize option because nobody wants to end up like Michael Moore.

South Park namedrop

This post is way funnier than it deserves to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ProperGanderPusher posted:

With the exception of that one time he grilled a Parkinsons-ridden Charleton Heston in Bowling for Columbine (which I admit was kind of a dick move), what other lovely things has he done?

I don't really think the argument is about having done lovely things (although the whole thing about demanding pictures of the Sandy Hook victims comes to mind and even as an anti-war liberal in the 2000s I thought his whole "ask politicians if they would send their children to war" schtick was an argument in bad faith because nobody actually sends their children to war; the soldiers of a volunteer army are grown adults who should be held accountable for their own decisions) but about generally being an abrasive, obnoxious rear end in a top hat, which he definitely is.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

lurker1981 posted:

I feel bad for Michael Moore.

He was skinny before he made that 'SuperSize Me' documentary, and now he can't lose the weight no matter what he does. Exposing McDonald's as being an absolute monster that was giving American citizens cheap, affordable "food" was important, but at what cost? They got rid of the supersize option because nobody wants to end up like Michael Moore.

South Park namedrop

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edit: Is this the same guy who was wondering aloud in here whether Obama created ISIS? Are we just getting trolled?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

loquacius posted:

I don't really think the argument is about having done lovely things (although the whole thing about demanding pictures of the Sandy Hook victims comes to mind and even as an anti-war liberal in the 2000s I thought his whole "ask politicians if they would send their children to war" schtick was an argument in bad faith because nobody actually sends their children to war; the soldiers of a volunteer army are grown adults who should be held accountable for their own decisions) but about generally being an abrasive, obnoxious rear end in a top hat, which he definitely is.

The volunteers that largely do so to afford education or no other options.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

joeburz posted:

The volunteers that largely do so to afford education or no other options.

I'm not trying to demonize them here, I'm just saying they weren't literally sent off to war by their parents.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

edit: phone crapped out bleh

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 24, 2014

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

loquacius posted:

I'm not trying to demonize them here, I'm just saying they weren't literally sent off to war by their parents.

Maybe he should have phrased the question like this: "If there was a draft, would you let your children be sent off to fight in a war, or would you bribe someone so an impoverished minority can take his or her place?"

I think something like that actually did happen a few times back when we had drafts.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

The person I used to hear referenced as a left-wing Limbaugh most often apart from Moore was Al Franken, but he's a Senator now which has kind of tempered his shock-jock status.

I think nowadays that title falls squarely in the hands of Ed Schultz.

Also he's every bit as annoying as Rush is, for the record.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edit: Is this the same guy who was wondering aloud in here whether Obama created ISIS? Are we just getting trolled?

No, its not trolling its called 'telling a joke'.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

lurker1981 posted:

I think something like that actually did happen a few times back when we had drafts.

More than a few times. During the Civil War, it was standard practice that you either had to sign up, or hire someone to take your place.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

lurker1981 posted:

Maybe he should have phrased the question like this: "If there was a draft, would you let your children be sent off to fight in a war, or would you bribe someone so an impoverished minority can take his or her place?"

What we had in the 2000s wasn't a draft, so that's still arguing in poor faith :shrug:

At any rate as the original post where I mentioned that said, this isn't the main focus of my argument anyway.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Mantis42 posted:

No, its not trolling its called 'telling a joke'.

Then he should get better at it

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

loquacius posted:

That's kind of the point. The people who decide to go to war don't join the military because they have no other attractive options.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

That's kind of the point. The people who decide to go to war don't join the military because they have no other attractive options.

Then the question should be "would you go to war yourself", not "would you send your children to war." The invocation of children was the part I objected to, as I have said repeatedly. Who even cares about any of this, it's not the point I was trying to make aaaaaa

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Popular Thug Drink posted:

He's not crazy, he just gives no fucks and is willing to be a useful idiot in the culture wars. I guess maybe narcissism, in that you're so willing to sell out to become notorious and a pseudoceleb that you garner universal hatred.

You gotta realize people like O'Keefe are rock stars on the right. I'm sure he (and Palin, and Crowder) gets hundreds of positive fan messages every day. Imagine how you'd feel if you had grown up deeply insecure as a kid and rather than growing out of it, you somehow managed to hold onto that resentment & anger and focus it into behaviors which earned you tons of praise from angry, resentful fools just like yourself. It must be intoxicating.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Guilty Spork posted:

He's like Sarah Palin and a lot of other conservative icons in that mostly I just wish people would stop pretending he's legitimate or worth listening to. But he (hamfistedly, dishonestly, idiotically) tries to make the other side look bad, so people are willing to overlook it. If he wasn't serving the hardcore conservative movement's purposes, he'd have no credibility with anyone anywhere, and would have to figure out something actually worthwhile to do with his life.

He tries to make the other side look bad but he tends to be the only person actually breaking the law when filming his videos.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Only in the right wing of America could you be propped up as a rockstar for pretending you dressed up like a cartoon pimp, editing a video to fake wrongdoing by a charitable organization, getting them bankrupted and turning them into one of white America's nebulous political boogeymen. It bothers me to no end that he shows zero remorse on that front.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there a way to find out who's funding O'Keefe or his organization(s)?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Only in the right wing of America could you be propped up as a rockstar for pretending you dressed up like a cartoon pimp, editing a video to fake wrongdoing by a charitable organization, getting them bankrupted and turning them into one of white America's nebulous political boogeymen. It bothers me to no end that he shows zero remorse on that front.

Why would a conservative feel bad about causing social harm to ethnic minorities?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I didn't say I expected him to

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

loquacius posted:

Then the question should be "would you go to war yourself", not "would you send your children to war." The invocation of children was the part I objected to, as I have said repeatedly. Who even cares about any of this, it's not the point I was trying to make aaaaaa

But the point was that the politicians made the decision to send other people's children to war.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
When you make the choice to go to war, you are making the choice to send people to their deaths. These are generally people you don't know, so you are alienated from that decision. "If you personally knew the people going to die in this war, would you still do it?" is a perfectly valid question.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

e: on second thought if this is not the argument I wanted to have I don't actually have to have it so nvm

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is beautiful

Young Americans Foundation is hosting a reagan-a-thon

quote:

Monday, October 27, marks the 50th anniversary of Ronald Reagan's iconic "A Time for Choosing" speech. It was a speech that sparked the modern Conservative Movement, ignited a fire in the hearts of conservatives, and launched Ronald Reagan's public policy career.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/Young-Americas-Foundation

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Nothing says young America like 50th anniversaries and a corpse that's been trickling down it's nutrients to the worms for as long as anyone remotely "young" been alive.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Nothing says young America like 50th anniversaries and a corpse that's been trickling down it's nutrients to the worms for as long as they've been alive.

12:00 p.m.

The Lessons Reagan Taught Us in Building a Winning Coalition
Featuring Lee Edwards, Craig Shirley, and Nicole Hoplin

1:30 p.m. The Lessons Reagan Taught Us in Communications
Featuring James Rosen, Lars Larson, David Keene, Ainsley Earhardt, and Ashley Pratte

4:30 p.m. The Lessons Reagan Would Have Taught Us in Reaching New Audiences
featuring Kate Obenshain, Raj Kannappan, Jiesi Zhao, and Patrick Coyle

6:00 p.m. The Lessons Reagan Would Have Taught Us Today
featuring David Keene, Frank Donatelli, and Chris Bedford

10:45 p.m. Michael Barone

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

quote:

The Lessons Reagan Taught Us in Building a Winning Coalition - Chapter 1 - "Are we doing enough to make black people and gays die early?"

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

You could stop worshiping a dead white man for starters.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

They are talking about getting Liberals in 2016 like Reagan did.

"We need to attack the threat against western values that is Islamic Fundamentalism"

"Pre 9/11 George W Bush was the closest thing to Reagan"

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 24, 2014

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I will always hope that eventually, when all the people who were wooed directly by Reagan's charisma and platitudes are dead, people will reflect on his presidency as the disaster it was and people will laugh at the insane following he once had as a distant memory, remembering how stupid politics were back then.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Holy poo poo the guy in the background

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I will always hope that eventually, when all the people who were wooed directly by Reagan's charisma and platitudes are dead, people will reflect on his presidency as the disaster it was and people will laugh at the insane following he once had as a distant memory, remembering how stupid politics were back then.

As far as I can tell young people who aren't expressly conservative will get their Reagan take from the Chappelle's show episode where they did the "I know black people" game show.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I like how about 400 motherfuckers in this thread needed to learn that black people smoke menthols. They were like "really?"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm still trying to figure out when they all started loving the new Dodge Chargers and Challengers. My black lady friend at work said she has like 4 brothers and cousins with them and has no idea. Could just be regional, this bit of stereotyping is still in the beta test phase.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Be a really old former Hollywood actor with convincing friendly grandpa charisma to conceal your agenda of dismantling the social safety net, propping up barbaric regimes around the world, instituting theocracy, destroying unions and disenfranching the poor/minorities.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Darkman Fanpage posted:

O'Keefe is just such a creeper. Like how do you even get that batshit crazy?

He's not crazy. He's just immature, and thinks he's a rebel thumbing his nose at the hypocrisy he perceives in society. They're a dime a dozen at any kind of College Republicans event. They're tremendously arrogant, and live their entire life believing they live in an e-mail forward that ends with, "and everyone stood up and clapped." The only noteworthy thing about O'Keefe is that he has actually been able to live out that fantasy of, "and everyone stood up and clapped," at CPAC or whatever.

The boat seduction scheme is profoundly stupid, but it's not crazy. It's something I can imagine many incredibly stupid, irresponsible, and immature young men trying to do.

I'm sure he gets paid pretty well for his dumb stuff, and all because he's willing to lie and create propaganda. Whenever his schemes fail the people who paid for them never get any blowback because nobody knows who they are. The people that championed his lies publicly all just backpedal and say, "there's no way I could have known the video had been edited! Why I am just as appalled as you are!"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

ErIog posted:

"there's no way I could have known the video had been edited! Why I am just as appalled as you are!"

Keeping in mind that's the absolute best case scenario. The real asses will either pretend it didn't happen or pull an Iraq and say "Yeah but ACORN was stealing elections and needed to be stopped anyway".

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/louie-gohmert-gays-shouldn-t-serve-military-because-massages-will-make-them-vulnerable-terro

quote:

"I've had people say, 'Hey, you know, there's nothing wrong with gays in the military. Look at the Greeks,'"

"Well, you know, they did have people come along who they loved that was the same sex and would give them massages before they went into battle. But you know what, it's a different kind of fighting, it's a different kind of war and if you're sitting around getting massages all day ready to go into a big, planned battle, then you're not going to last very long. It's guerrilla fighting. You are going to be ultimately vulnerable to terrorism and if that's what you start doing in the military like the Greeks did ... as people have said, 'Louie, you have got to understand, you don't even know your history.' Oh yes I do. I know exactly. It's not a good idea"

Louie Gohmert everybody!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Best Okeefe look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

But it's not even up for debate anymore. DADT is gone, why is he still going on about it?