Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

LorneReams posted:

If you have a low limit card and some other higher limit cards, and you are maxing out the low limit card, it will have no effect on your credit score, and will probably be a new positive overall.

Is credit utilization calculated as a global average across all of your credit accounts, or an average of each individual account?

In the former, if you maxed out one card that represents a small percentage of your total credit available, no big deal. In the latter scenario, it would be a huge issue.

Fake edit: According to this link, they do both:

http://credit.about.com/od/creditreportscoring/a/creditutilization.htm posted:

How Credit Utilization Factors Into Your Credit Score

The FICO scoring model looks at your credit utilization in two parts. First, it scores the credit utilization for each of your credit cards separately. Then, it calculates your overall credit utilization, that is, the total of all your credit card balances compared to your total credit limits. A high credit utilization in either category will lower your credit score.

So the first factor in calculating your credit utilization is on the individual credit account level. Maxing one credit card is bad with money if you believe that link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Only if you're taking out a loan before you pay off the card. Effects of utilization on your credit score are temporary; only your current utilization matters.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I don't even like having a credit card, I got rid of all mine 4 years ago and I'll never go back. Much better to just save up money for things you want, then buy them.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
But a temporary effect is permanent if you are consistently over-utilizing a credit card. And you don't even have to max it out, credit agencies start dinging you for anything over 30%.

Obviously not everyone wants or needs the highest possible credit score. But it seems like an easy issue to fix if you qualify for a higher credit limit.

Harton posted:

I don't even like having a credit card, I got rid of all mine 4 years ago and I'll never go back. Much better to just save up money for things you want, then buy them.

You have other credit though, right? I ask because my dumbass uncle has no credit - neither bad nor good. He's an unusual case since he has no job, no loans, and no utilities in his name so it's figuratively like he doesn't exist. Not many 55 year olds can claim to have the credit of an 18 year old. It screwed him over when he wanted to change banks because it looks suspicious as gently caress to be that old with a blank slate.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 24, 2014

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Mantle posted:

There is nothing "bad with money" about hitting the limit on a credit card like mine that doesn't charge overage fees. If it happens I just pay for stuff I need by another method. Sounds like you just didn't like my story of getting free gas.

Sorry, but it happened and it doesn't make me bad with money just cause it offends your morals.
Definitely bad with money. You should know how much you have in the bank, and you should have enough buffer that $125 isn't an issue...

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Some more tier 1 bad with money (and shopping, negotiating, and life in general) from /r/personalfinance:

/r/personalfinance posted:

So my girlfriend (20 now 21 in February) just got her license about a month ago. She was very eager to get her own car and become independent. I understand how she feels because that was me 2 years ago.

So we looked around on websites and filled out a form on one of the car loan websites that Credit Karma recommended to us. The website sent her a email saying that JDBuyRider would accept her and she called and made an appointment for Wednesday the 22nd. I had to work that morning so her mom was talking her. Her mom is not the smartest person and I didn’t like that her mom was taking her. I told her DO NOT sign any paperwork and DO NOT leave with a car. My GF acted like she was fine and knew what she was doing, when I knew she didn’t. Despite what I told her she left with a car. She financed a 2007 Dodge Caliber with 102,000 miles on it. The thing is they charged her 12,800 dollars for the car with a 21% interest rate for 4 years!! She is paying more a month than me and I have a brand new car! On top of that whoever they set her up with insurance was charging her almost 400 a month! She said the car sales people helped her subsidize it to around 200 a month.

So in total she has to pay 198 dollars a month for insurance, and 380 dollars for the car and then 39 dollars for what I believe is because they subsidized the insurance (I’m not totally sure). She told me her mom was no help and that she (my gf) got sick and was throwing up in the bathroom while they were at the dealership. When I asked how she got a car she says “I don’t know It just happened”. I’m like shocked and I feel like this place was very shady and basically tricked her into getting a lovely car at a ridiculous price. I was wondering is there anyway she can return it with no penalty? I saw in the state we live in Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh) there is a 3 day window for returning a new car. Does this also apply to used car sales as well? Or what can I do to help her get out of this mess? Or does she have to simply live with it?

She works 2 jobs and she makes about 150 a every 2 weeks from one and 250ish a week from the other one.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
:stonklol:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 24, 2014

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I think right of rescission only works with mortgages...she's hosed.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

LorneReams posted:

I think right of rescission only works with mortgages...she's hosed.

Yeah, unless she bought her car from a door-to-door salesman I think she's stuck with it. I guess technically she could try to refinance it through a credit union and she might find a better insurance deal elsewhere.

Reminds me of that Goon who got a Toyota FJ for probably a worse deal than that girl had. Car dealerships suck. They suck more when you're stupid.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Maybe I'm being too rational here, but shouldn't she have received a truth-in-lending statement about the loan?

I know that from the guy with 40k in an Altima that those documents "can be buried in piles of paperwork" but I'm pretty shocked here.

Also, seeing as how he predicted this situation the guy should probably dump this chick and date someone he doesn't have to babysit 24/7.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
And I thought my car loan at $18,000/4% interest for a 2013 Corolla (30,000 miles) was a super lovely deal. How on Earth could he have let her go through with that, especially if he predicted it??

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Sweet tap-dancing christ. $19,025.28 after interest for a 2007 Dodge Caliber. Black book value is slated to be around $6k for the top-level trim and all-wheel drive.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

Guinness posted:

Some more tier 1 bad with money (and shopping, negotiating, and life in general) from /r/personalfinance:

I was already shaking my head before I even got to the last line. She spend nearly 20k on a lovely car while making the equivalent of about $8/hr. Jesus.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm surprised she even got financed earning $1,300 per month for double the blue book value. I'm not even sure this is a good deal for the lender, since they look to be an independent financing company that works with dealerships.

What does the finance company expect to do when in the event of a repo? Finance companies don't want to hold on to the cars. If they gave the dealership a lump sum payment of 90% of the $12K credit line, then they'd be taking a huge bath when they try to re-sell it to the next dealership.

I worked at a leasing firm that was very similar to ByRider, from what I see on their website. Maybe it's different with a loan, but there's a reason we capped the financed amount at a little over Blue Book.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
They probably love to repo these. Someone makes a few payments, maybe even a year, they take it back and sell it for $11,000 to the next schmuck.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

RommelMcDonald posted:

I'm surprised she even got financed earning $1,300 per month for double the blue book value. I'm not even sure this is a good deal for the lender, since they look to be an independent financing company that works with dealerships.

What does the finance company expect to do when in the event of a repo? Finance companies don't want to hold on to the cars. If they gave the dealership a lump sum payment of 90% of the $12K credit line, then they'd be taking a huge bath when they try to re-sell it to the next dealership.

I worked at a leasing firm that was very similar to ByRider, from what I see on their website. Maybe it's different with a loan, but there's a reason we capped the financed amount at a little over Blue Book.

I think they are a Buy here, Pay here dealer, which means they LOVE to get a few payments and then just repossess and sell it again.

e:f;b

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
My mistake, I thought they were a third party finance company and not a dealership chain.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Guinness posted:

Holy poo poo. My bf recently bought a brand new car with full warranty and zero miles on it and is paying like half that per month in payments/insurance. And 12k for a 7-year-old car with 100k miles on it? What the gently caress? People are selling similar models on Craigslist with tens of thousands fewer miles and for way less money. Also I Googled for three seconds and PNC will finance your private seller car purchase for like 6% APR (instead of 21%). If the loan amount is reasonably small (mid four figures, say), could someone like the girlfriend in that post go to a real, reputable bank, get the loan to pay the Craigslist seller the Blue Book value, drive the car home, and then pay off the bank at a reasonable interest rate and time frame? Are people with low income and/or bad credit/insufficient credit history left with no options other than saving up and paying cash or going with some rip-off shady auto loan, or do people just get roped into horrible auto loan situations due to slimy sales tactics and lack of financial education and impulse control even if better options exist?

For the record, I've never taken out a loan or bought a car, so I'm not particularly familiar with how this stuff works.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Krispy Kareem posted:

You have other credit though, right? I ask because my dumbass uncle has no credit - neither bad nor good. He's an unusual case since he has no job, no loans, and no utilities in his name so it's figuratively like he doesn't exist. Not many 55 year olds can claim to have the credit of an 18 year old. It screwed him over when he wanted to change banks because it looks suspicious as gently caress to be that old with a blank slate.

I should still have 2 credit cards lying dormant from lack of use. I stopped getting new cards in the mail a few years ago.

When I bought my house I think my credit score was around 740. But I don't have any way of getting access to money I don't already have in the bank since I don't use credit cards anymore. It's just not a good idea for me to have them because when I get an idea to buy something in my head I tend to want it right away. Without credit cards in my wallet I can't jump the gun and I just save up the money instead.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Authentic You posted:

Holy poo poo. My bf recently bought a brand new car with full warranty and zero miles on it and is paying like half that per month in payments/insurance. And 12k for a 7-year-old car with 100k miles on it? What the gently caress? People are selling similar models on Craigslist with tens of thousands fewer miles and for way less money. Also I Googled for three seconds and PNC will finance your private seller car purchase for like 6% APR (instead of 21%). If the loan amount is reasonably small (mid four figures, say), could someone like the girlfriend in that post go to a real, reputable bank, get the loan to pay the Craigslist seller the Blue Book value, drive the car home, and then pay off the bank at a reasonable interest rate and time frame? Are people with low income and/or bad credit/insufficient credit history left with no options other than saving up and paying cash or going with some rip-off shady auto loan, or do people just get roped into horrible auto loan situations due to slimy sales tactics and lack of financial education and impulse control even if better options exist?

For the record, I've never taken out a loan or bought a car, so I'm not particularly familiar with how this stuff works.

It's a little bit of both plus a heaping helping of cultural pressure to get a car even if it means pawning your soul.

I know at least where i'm from, paying ridiculous amounts of cash every month for a car is seen as a necessary part of being an adult. Hell, an ex-coworker of mine pays around 500 a month for that same model, except hers is a 5 year term, and she makes around $8 an hour before taxes.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Wickerman posted:

Also, seeing as how he predicted this situation the guy should probably dump this chick and date someone he doesn't have to babysit 24/7.

Dude, she's 20 years old, she just got her license, and she's excited and desperate to assert her independence. She's done something really loving stupid, but I think "sever" is probably a bit premature.

I feel bad for everyone involved except JD Byrider. True story: I used to live with a woman who was a career dealer-finance person. The only piece of advice I remember her giving me about financing vehicles is, "Don't ever send anyone you care about to JD Byrider."

Edit: That was 17-18 years ago, so they've been successfully sticking it to people for a long time.

Centripetal Horse fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 24, 2014

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I bet that's because 6 year loans weren't very common in 2007. Nowadays, the APR spread between a 24 month and a 62 month loan is like... 35bps.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

You just know that most people taking out 72+ month loans aren't thinking about the APR spread, below-inflation interest rates, and/or paying down loans early.

They're thinking "hey this new car that costs as much as my annual salary is only $300/mo!" For the next 6-8 years, on a rapidly depreciating asset.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I bet that's because 6 year loans weren't very common in 2007.
:confused:

...that's literally exactly what the chart is showing, isn't it?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Cicero posted:

:confused:

...that's literally exactly what the chart is showing, isn't it?

I mean, dealers were less likely to offer them. Not that fewer people chose them!

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Interest rates decreased a lot over that period too. I did a 4 year loan on my used car because it wasn't much higher interest than a 3 year, even though I planned on paying it off early.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I was dumb in 2008 and bought a slightly used, ~13k miles car with a 6 year loan and used some of my student loan money to pay the down payment. I paid it off early and plan on driving it until it hits 200k miles in 10+ years but it was probably the dumbest financial decision I've made in my life.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

This is totally the expected outcome if the price of new cars increases with inflation (or higher) and wages are stagnant (or worse). Since I know the latter is true, I presume the former is true based on this graph. Anyone know for sure?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Isn't it a symptom of low interest rates as well?

I also wouldn't rule out the possibility of lifestyle inflation. People get a hard-on when they find out there's a way they can get a fancier vehicle, long-term costs be damned. The banks have caught onto this.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If she stopped making payment and they repossessed the car, what exactly would happen to the debt?

Would she still be in collections for owed value less the recovered value of the car? Like if she bought it for $12k and they repossessed it and established the value as $6k (despite selling it to her for $12k) would she still be in arrears for $6k?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

cowofwar posted:

If she stopped making payment and they repossessed the car, what exactly would happen to the debt?

Would she still be in collections for owed value less the recovered value of the car? Like if she bought it for $12k and they repossessed it and established the value as $6k (despite selling it to her for $12k) would she still be in arrears for $6k?

Yes. It's what's called being underwater or upside down on a loan-- you owe more on the asset than it is worth.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
It's probably just interest rates, which plummeted post-2008.

Yeah some of it is bad money management, but that's just the nature of it. I've considered a 72-month loan purely because I have longer term student loan debt at a higher interest rate than the car, so spreading it out further frees up monthly cash flow to pay that down.

It looks like it would be an issue regarding re-selling it, though, so I'll probably go shorter, but if I intended to drive it 6 years it would be prudent.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Why the hell was her insurance so much?

That guy sounds retarded as hell too. He wanted her to go look at a Jeep Liberty.

What ever happened to a cheap eco box?

I got my Honda Fit brand new for ~14k.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
As long as overpayment goes to principal, a longer loan might be okay...smart even. If your required payment is lower than your usual payment it gives you a little more breathing room if things go to hell.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

MJBuddy posted:

It's probably just interest rates, which plummeted post-2008.

Yeah some of it is bad money management, but that's just the nature of it. I've considered a 72-month loan purely because I have longer term student loan debt at a higher interest rate than the car, so spreading it out further frees up monthly cash flow to pay that down.

It looks like it would be an issue regarding re-selling it, though, so I'll probably go shorter, but if I intended to drive it 6 years it would be prudent.
We just recently purchased a new (to us) car and went with the max-term 75-month loan because the interest rate was significantly lower than our mortgage.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Dik Hz posted:

We just recently purchased a new (to us) car and went with the max-term 75-month loan because the interest rate was significantly lower than our mortgage.

What make and model of car did you buy?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Isn't it a symptom of low interest rates as well?

I also wouldn't rule out the possibility of lifestyle inflation. People get a hard-on when they find out there's a way they can get a fancier vehicle, long-term costs be damned. The banks have caught onto this.

It is difficult to separate cause and effect, but it seems like interest rates are falling and the price of cars is going up over the thirty year window I mentioned.

I made a chart:

Edit: fixed the image

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 26, 2014

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Cultural Imperial posted:

What make and model of car did you buy?
2012 BMW 328i

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

MickeyFinn posted:

It is difficult to separate cause and effect, but it seems like interest rates are falling and the price of cars is going up over the thirty year window I mentioned.
I like the chart. Excellent job bringing facts and data to the thread. However, I think you need to consider inflation and the fact that a new 2010 Accord is a more valuable product (longer lasting, more features, safer) than a new 1975 Accord.

• Locked thread