Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Payndz posted:

The whole thing with Dancey and the OGL/SRD is mind-boggling to me; I can't believe that Wizards could have missed the glaringly obvious downside. "So this allows anybody, even our own competitors, to copy our system, make whatever modifications they like and put it out as their own product in perpetuity and royalty-free as long as they don't include our tiny handful of trademarked monsters like Beholders and Mind Flayers? What a great idea, nothing could possibly go wrong!" I guess they assumed they'd sell PHBs to everyone using a d20 product and all would be rosy.

(It's also mind-boggling that it worked, because d20 is a horrible, over-crunchy system that tries and fails dismally to be a physics engine, but that's by the by.)

You have to understand that in corporate America lots of executives come from a MBA background and only think about things superficially. They're also usually removed from the customer base or reality of operations. If someone, such as a product manager or lead developer, pitches an idea with confidence, one that sounds good or "innovative" and can spin an impressive "value proposition," they'll probably jump at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I liked the cat statue from ravenloft artifact. It became a larger cat the more you used it, and would sneak out at night and eat bigger prey. The first couple times, it didn't matter if it killed some mice and likewise summoning a housecat wasn't much of a boon. When it becomes a bobcat and local dogs go missing you start to get the impression it might not be good to have around, but when it turns into a puma and children go missing the real fun starts.

It is a great example of getting praise for something, then being long gone by the time it screws everything up.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Sage Genesis posted:

5e DMG previews:
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/extra-life

Orb of Dragonkind can enslave your mind forever if you fail a Charisma check. Because let's not use our six saves or something?

Why hello there, Fighter! Did you say you had a low Charisma score because you had to prioritize physical stats over mental ones in order not to be completely gimped? These boots don't lick themselves clean, you know :smugwizard:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
The Orb seems weird, it kinda means all of them are carried either by free bards or enslaved non-bards.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

LuiCypher posted:

Why hello there, Fighter! Did you say you had a low Charisma score because you had to prioritize physical stats over mental ones in order not to be completely gimped? These boots don't lick themselves clean, you know :smugwizard:

How many wizards do you know of with high Charisma?

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN
Yeah that doesn't feel like a "gently caress the fighter". More like "gently caress everyone who isn't a Paladin or Bard".

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Wizards can already turn into dragons, what would they want with the Orb?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Isn't the OGL the only thing that actually allows Pathfinder to exist?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I liked the cat statue from ravenloft artifact. It became a larger cat the more you used it, and would sneak out at night and eat bigger prey. The first couple times, it didn't matter if it killed some mice and likewise summoning a housecat wasn't much of a boon. When it becomes a bobcat and local dogs go missing you start to get the impression it might not be good to have around, but when it turns into a puma and children go missing the real fun starts.

That was one of the best artifacts ever. Thanks for reminding me; I'm gonna bring that poo poo back in my campaign.

E: After our session last night, we agreed that the fighter is now absolutely the tank, while DPS does to the paladin and rogue.

So fighter should probably be renamed defender or something because that's pretty much what he does.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Power Player posted:

Yeah that doesn't feel like a "gently caress the fighter". More like "gently caress everyone who isn't a Paladin or Bard".

Or Warlock or Sorceror...

One of the few times Sorceror > Wizard

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Peas and Rice posted:

we agreed that the fighter is now absolutely the tank

Barbarian does it better imo. Resistance to bludgeon/piercing/slashing while raging from level 1, choose Bear at 3 to gain Resistance to everything (except psychic) while raging.

Fighter has Second Wind and...? Don't have the material in front of me but I don't recall it being that difficult to ratchet up a Dex/Con Barb's AC to compete with fighter/pally, could be wrong on that though.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
We haven't delved into the barb much yet; our current party is two rogues, a fighter, a paladin, cleric, and wizard.

There's almost no reason at all to play a fighter anymore, unless you want a newbie class with training wheels.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basically every class that can pick up a shield is better than the fighter at its job.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

Peas and Rice posted:

We haven't delved into the barb much yet; our current party is two rogues, a fighter, a paladin, cleric, and wizard.

There's almost no reason at all to play a fighter anymore, unless you want a newbie class with training wheels.
At least martial maneuvers are sorta fun :unsmith:

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Sticky note made me laugh. This isn't the word "fololw" hidden deep in a paragraph on a random page. It's just... sloppy.

Somberbrero posted:

Man, what's the point of having awesomely powerful magic items if the game actively discourages you from ever using them?

Use it anyway? :unsmigghh:

It's pretty status quo for my players to say screw it and shoot for the stars. Character death can be fun too.

opulent fountain fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 24, 2014

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

Use it anyway? :unsmigghh:

It's pretty status quo for my players to say screw it and shoot for the stars. Character death can be fun too.
Way back in the day I learned that this is the only reasonable course of action with items like that. Wand of Wonder? Use those charges. Deck of Many Things? Draw dem cards. There's no sensible reason to sit on the items for emergencies; every time that it backfires horribly you're teaching the DM not to put those items into the game because they end up with one (or possibly more) players sitting out rerolling a new character instead of playing their game.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think the last time epic artifacts even got used in a game I played in, I was 15.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Basically every class that can pick up a shield is better than the fighter at its job.
The job of a fighter is to pick up a crossbow and shoot.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Have they previewed a DMG item yet which DOESN'T loving change your alignment?

gently caress's sake.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Hopefully they'll be something that changes gender. That would be wacky!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

Sticky note made me laugh. This isn't the word "fololw" hidden deep in a paragraph on a random page. It's just... sloppy.

huh?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Peas and Rice posted:

Hopefully such an item wouldn't be used for wackiness.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If I cannot play as a reincarnated badger wizard-lawyer this will officially be the worst D&D version.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Peas and Rice posted:

Oh like the Girdle of Gender Reversal won't show up in D&D Throwback Edition.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

thespaceinvader posted:

Have they previewed a DMG item yet which DOESN'T loving change your alignment?

gently caress's sake.

Yes all of them other then Vecna's stuff and one card on the deck of many things.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 25, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

What the gently caress is hyperbole?

Is that like a magic dagger?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

"You're far to pure"
"You're far too pure"

There is a difference.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

PeterWeller posted:

Oh like the Girdle of Gender Reversal won't show up in D&D Throwback Edition.
They released the table of contents and a few other things today and the item section looks to be just shy of 100 pages, a solid third of the DMG, so odds are good they had plenty of the wacky ones make it in.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Peas and Rice posted:

Every companion character ever should be a Half-Orc Champion fighter because it's basically "I attack" with "crits more often and harder" tacked on for wacky hijinx.

Fighter's basically a dip class, far as I can tell. Defense Fighting Style stacks with literally ANY other fighting style!

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes all of them other then Vecna's stuff and one card on the deck of many things.

Is he seriously already doing that thing where he just assumes something about a dnd book and then states it as irrefutable fact or are all the magic items from the DMG in the preview?

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Power Player posted:

Man, to be fair, they are supposed to be extremely rare once-in-many-a-campaign items.

One of the three of these is an ancient artifact from a forgotten age. Ones which have been liberated from the giant, crumbling stone towers in which they resided. They are so old that the magic used to make them has kinda gone janky, and lets you do poo poo even more powerful than they originally did.

And they can be blown to ash by "Disintegrate", or a +3 Magic weapon.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Is it actually fun for people to use random items like this in any campaign? I remember the one time me and my friends actually tried to use the Deck of Many Things in a campaign, all that really ended up happening was that the campaign ended because no one, especially the DM, wanted to play out the consequences of people drawing from the deck.

I feel like the place for items like these aren't in DND campaigns, but in short 1 or 2 shot adventures where you want silly stuff to happen. Whether or not that belongs in a DMG, or a DMG for DND(instead of a game like Dungeon World or something) I'm not sure that I know the answer to.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

See, what Next needed was more Hackmaster style magical artifacts

But that ship has already sailed...

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

goldjas posted:

Is it actually fun for people to use random items like this in any campaign? I remember the one time me and my friends actually tried to use the Deck of Many Things in a campaign, all that really ended up happening was that the campaign ended because no one, especially the DM, wanted to play out the consequences of people drawing from the deck.

I feel like the place for items like these aren't in DND campaigns, but in short 1 or 2 shot adventures where you want silly stuff to happen. Whether or not that belongs in a DMG, or a DMG for DND(instead of a game like Dungeon World or something) I'm not sure that I know the answer to.

They are incredibly fun for one-shot silly adventures. The problem is DnD's rules were written for flexible oneshots where anything can happen to your hapless characters and are still being applied to world-sprawling adventures.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The Bee posted:

They are incredibly fun for one-shot silly adventures. The problem is DnD's rules were written for flexible oneshots where anything can happen to your hapless characters and are still being applied to world-sprawling adventures.

Don't worry, at your GM's permission, these options will both be fully fleshed out with modules.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

Bassetking posted:

One of the three of these is an ancient artifact from a forgotten age. Ones which have been liberated from the giant, crumbling stone towers in which they resided. They are so old that the magic used to make them has kinda gone janky, and lets you do poo poo even more powerful than they originally did.

And they can be blown to ash by "Disintegrate", or a +3 Magic weapon.
Hey man, +3 magic weapons are also really rare.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I hope thirty pages is enough to hold all those modules.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Ten pages for each pillar!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Maxwell Lord posted:

In fairness, they're lovely modules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rannos22 posted:

Is he seriously already doing that thing where he just assumes something about a dnd book and then states it as irrefutable fact or are all the magic items from the DMG in the preview?

Are you talking about me or him. If your talking about me. He said which items don't change your alignment that have been previewed. I stated all of them other then the Vecna stuff and one card.