Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I hate my endless string preference insanity. I've been playing chromes on everything but I grabbed my tele with NYXL 11s in d standard and have been playing Gojira riffs all morning. I'm having too much enjoyment.

This post is mostly pointless, I just wanted to mention how fun Duplantier riffs are.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Gonna cross post this in the two threads, but do any of you have any local mom and pop music stores that are just absolutely scum?

In Carbondale, IL, there were two competing music stores - Sound Core and Mike's Music. Sound Core was all pony knobs and overpriced PA rentals. Everything there was MSRP or MSRP plus 10%. They had an old off-brand tube amp at one point that every musician in town was looking to try (it was something esoteric, like an Earth Sound Research head or something), but because it was in so-so condition, they were adamant that nobody could test it in store and that there would be no returns. They were selling it for like $700. I hope it's still on the showroom floor. I don't have too many stories because I avoided it like the plague.

Mike's Music was a little more my speed. He was a Danelectro dealer for a while, so most of his new guitars on the floor were those awesome mid-2000s Dano reissues. I bought my Jazz bass there (which is still my primary), like new with a deep discount. He did brisk business in cash sales, which included my favorite part of store, the "$6 box". Anytime anyone sold him a guitar or whatever, any extras from the case (strings, straps, weird cables) went into the $6 box. One day I walked in with the guitarist in my band, and I wound up walking out with three years worth of bass strings to the tune of $18, no tax. Mike would also throw parking lot parties and he lived on the couch in the back room for a year or so when times were a little tougher.

The second best music buy in that town was when the guitarist in my band snagged a Peavey Classic 410 Extension Cab for $125 when a pawn shop was having a 50% off everything sale. I bought gear down there like a champ.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

muike posted:

yeah i was thinking of the two-point ones. I just bought a guitar with one and i've never played a guitar with one so I was just curious. it's the vs-100n to be specific.

The VS-100 is good and in terms of quality is one tier below the boutique builder stuff (Super Vee, Babicz, Callaham). Better than the OEM stuff from Fender and whatnot. If I had one I wouldn't bother upgrading it.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I hate my endless string preference insanity. I've been playing chromes on everything but I grabbed my tele with NYXL 11s in d standard and have been playing Gojira riffs all morning. I'm having too much enjoyment.

This post is mostly pointless, I just wanted to mention how fun Duplantier riffs are.

Easy and fun riffs with a shitload of reverb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xUoOaHzk5s

Second Riff I ever learned was the intro to The Axe.

code:
G -||------------/13----------/13---12--------/13--12----------------------||---|
D -||--3------------------3---------------3--------------13----14----------||---|
        Tremolo Picking

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

muike posted:

yeah i was thinking of the two-point ones. I just bought a guitar with one and i've never played a guitar with one so I was just curious. it's the vs-100n to be specific.

I have one on my strat. It's pretty good for everything but crazy divebombs, but the screws that hold down the saddles can strip if you're not careful.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Kilometers Davis posted:

they are SUPER rad riffs

Declan MacManus posted:

The VS-100 is good and in terms of quality is one tier below the boutique builder stuff (Super Vee, Babicz, Callaham). Better than the OEM stuff from Fender and whatnot. If I had one I wouldn't bother upgrading it.

ok cool thank you :)

Verizian posted:

Easy and fun riffs with a shitload of reverb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xUoOaHzk5s

Second Riff I ever learned was the intro to The Axe.

code:
G -||------------/13----------/13---12--------/13--12----------------------||---|
D -||--3------------------3---------------3--------------13----14----------||---|
        Tremolo Picking

those riffs are really cool and shows off some of my favorite poo poo joe does, but i really wish i could get into l'enfant sauvage

comes along bort posted:

I have one on my strat. It's pretty good for everything but crazy divebombs, but the screws that hold down the saddles can strip if you're not careful.

i'm going to do crazy divebombs anyway and i will be okay if i suffer for my bad decisions

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Locking tuners help.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

muike posted:

they are SUPER rad riffs

those riffs are really cool and shows off some of my favorite poo poo joe does, but i really wish i could get into l'enfant sauvage

What isn't clicking for you? I've liked the band for a while but I got that one yesterday and listened to it during a nice drive. It blew me away. I think the appeal for me is the way the entire band comes together as this huge, monstrous force of energy. Of course that's kind of the Gojira thing in the first place but it really works with the production and songwriting they went with on sauvage. It's refreshing. I don't hear a ton of metal albums lately that make me desperate to pick up my guitar and that one inspired a lot of writing for me today.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't know, it just didn't. one of those things, you know

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Bill Posters posted:

You can even put them on your guitar if you need to rock out some Stones at very short notice.

This is how you drop D on the fly, man. Got to love those tuners.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I thought l'enfant savage was way better than the way of all flesh. My favorite is still Mars to Sirius.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
If I've got a budget of around 275-325 for a starter acoustic guitar, what would be a good pick? I checked out some of the brands recommended in the OP and they look pretty good but thought maybe people had some specific recommendations.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

If I've got a budget of around 275-325 for a starter acoustic guitar, what would be a good pick? I checked out some of the brands recommended in the OP and they look pretty good but thought maybe people had some specific recommendations.

I've heard really good things about Seagull on the lower end, from a few people who have them. Couldn't say for myself because I have 0 interest in acoustics, but I've only heard good things.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

PantsBandit posted:

I really, really like Recording King instruments. Their cheaper offerings are fantastic. As mentioned, Seagull is a good choice as well.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I know I've badmouthed Gibson for their business practices and ridiculous new pricing, but even with all that, there are still a couple of used models that occasionally catch my eye.

Exhibit one: the blueshawk. A semi-hollow nighthawk body with P90s and a varitone? And that has going prices in the $7-900 range? That's very, very intriguing.

Anyone ever noodled around on one of these oddballs, and if so, what are your thoughts?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Schpyder posted:

I know I've badmouthed Gibson for their business practices and ridiculous new pricing, but even with all that, there are still a couple of used models that occasionally catch my eye.

Exhibit one: the blueshawk. A semi-hollow nighthawk body with P90s and a varitone? And that has going prices in the $7-900 range? That's very, very intriguing.

Anyone ever noodled around on one of these oddballs, and if so, what are your thoughts?

I jammed on a buddies Little Lucille, which is similar. I didn't like it. It sounded good, but the small body and the Fender scale kinda bothered me.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

Epiphone DR100. They're about a hundred dollars, but surprisingly nice! You could also look at a lower end Yamaha, particularly if you want something with a cutaway.

But, really, the DR100. Great bargain.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I played a $100 Jasmine at a friend's house and it was nice.

But the best answer is *always* go to a retailer and try a lot of them, there's probably more variation within a particular model of a cheap guitar than there are within brands. And most are made on the same street (or factory) in Qingdao or whatever anyway.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Schpyder posted:

Why did you have to make me look up the Blueshawk. :stare:

I have a new holy grail now, poo poo. I've been in the market for a semi-hollow and the Nighthawk was just not-different enough from my other guitars for me to ignore it, haha.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Haha, yeah, I love looking up oddball poo poo like this. I'd half considered picking up a Nighthawk and a Fender Toronado, just so I could have the most Fender-y Gibson and the most Gibson-y Fender. :downs:

Dirt
May 26, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/seagull-s6-entourage-acoustic-guitar

On sale right now for 330.

Seagulls are loving awesome guitars for the money.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Dirt posted:

This.

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

I'll vouch for the Seagulls. I'd have to say they're the best intermediate level acoustics around, and have been for years.

I'll get this out there first, their biggest flaw is usually the finish, it's quite soft, so used Gulls typically look like hell. Fortunately it is often just superficial, and you may be able to knock a bit off the asking price because of it.

I've got four currently, the oldest was my first real acoustic and has aged really well (looks like poo poo, but there you go.) Another is a decade old 12-string and has been a rock since I bought it brand new. The others are more recent, but I haven't noted any change in build quality, if anything, it's gone up. The kicker is prices keep creeping up too and they are probably out of your price range if buying brand new.

Seagull's parent company (Godin) also make Simon & Patrick, Art & Lutherie, and Norman brands (possibly more.) Don't know anything about the A&Ls though I hear they are the low end models. I've do however have a Simon & Patrick and a higher end Norman, both also very well made. The S&P strikes me as a little more student quality in tone, but the build is still exceptional. I'd be willing to part with a couple from my collection but unfortunately don't do online transactions anymore - shipping is murder, and I've been burnt too many times both as buyer and seller.

If you can find a used Gull in your price range I'd recommend it (or an S&P) WAY before I'd recommend a Yamaha, Ibanez, or Fender acoustic. Washburn seems hit-or-miss though they've apparently ironed out many of the QC issues I've seen in the past, so they'd be my second choice from the OP recommendations. One final thought is look into Recording Kings too, they're mostly higher end, but I've heard their beginner models are crazy good for the price, though I have no personal experience with them.

fake edit: Ah, plenty of Gull support and a Recording King shout out - in other words, yeah, what they said ^^^^

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Dirt posted:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/seagull-s6-entourage-acoustic-guitar

On sale right now for 330.

They have big fat necks that I don't find comfortable at all. I was ready to love the S6 and it just feels wrong in my hands.

My main acoustic is some super basic Mitchell with a solid top that probably cost $125 15 years ago and it's good enough to make it tough to justify spending more money on anything else. Maybe I just got lucky.

YeahWhatevah posted:

One final thought is look into Recording Kings too, they're mostly higher end, but I've heard their beginner models are crazy good for the price, though I have no personal experience with them.

I played a smaller entry level Recording King and thought it was pretty good, but the low end seemed boxy or closed off, likely due to the smaller size. Still a good deal, though.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

edit: ^^^ Neck shape is definitely a person preference. I like the neck shape on them.

Seagull/Godin also makes La Patrie classical style guitars that are also really nice for their price point.

I have a 800 dollar Seaguall "mini jumbo" acoustic/electric, a S6 12 string and a La Patrie Motif classical guitar and I love them all enough that I don't really see the need to buy something higher end. I've had a S6 in the past, and one of the lower end mini jumbo styles and they were both really nice too.

They are all made in Canada too.

Basically Seagulls own. Buy one.

I've been meaning to give a Godin electric a try for years too. Considering how nice Seagulls are I imagine they are pretty nice too. But nobody seems to carry them near me.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 24, 2014

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
If it was me, I would buy a cheap rear end acoustic until you know what you want. You can get a serviceable instrument for 100-150$ from a pawn shop.

You can get an electric that is basically the same as a top of the line instrument for 300$, outside of who built it and so on. That is not the case for acoustic guitars. And the differences are not wierdo audiophile tone poo poo either.

There is a huge variance in acoustic guitars in pickups, strap button placement (what the gently caress), string width (you like to fingerpick?), action (high for rhythm guys), VOLUME (martin omg), durability (guys who gig 5 days a week will often have ovations because they are tough as nails), etc.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
seagull s6 slim has a thinner neck, simon and patrick makes theirs that thinner neck size too.

e: Godins' electrics are really fantastic guitars and I wish more people knew about them.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Weird BIAS posted:

e: Godins' electrics are really fantastic guitars and I wish more people knew about them.

They make a triple P90 single cut model that looks amazing. If musicians friend does a 15% off on orders over xxx amount promotion again soon I might just say gently caress it and order one.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I was just looking at their Montreal Premier last night too. YouTube has a Godin factory tour if that's your thing too.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Dirt posted:

They make a triple P90 single cut model that looks amazing. If musicians friend does a 15% off on orders over xxx amount promotion again soon I might just say gently caress it and order one.

Yeah that's their Icon type 3 series. The Icon type 2 comes stock with P-rails and is deliciously versatile. It's one of my favorite guitars, which is so good they have trouble keeping them in stock. Plus all Icons come stock with a db boost which is nice.

We just had a visit from Godin's sales team recently and a co-worker is planning on bringing in some more godin electrics to our store and buying an richmond empire for himself. Those are nice guitars for the price too, one of the thinnest necks I've ever played and feels so smooth.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Are Goodins cheaper in Canada? I think I'm going there next week.

Ugh, I'd have to deal with customs though. Anybody buy a guitar/bass overseas and carry it back to the US in a plane?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've carried my own guitars overseas and aside from worries of where to store it on the plane (hint: get on the plane asap and shove it in one of the last overhead compartments or ask the flight attendants if you can stow it where they keep their coats) and one time when security did a test of my guitar case to see if I had drugs in it as well as questioning why my guitar had a battery in it, I've never really had issues with customs.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Spanish Manlove posted:

I've carried my own guitars overseas and aside from worries of where to store it on the plane (hint: get on the plane asap and shove it in one of the last overhead compartments or ask the flight attendants if you can stow it where they keep their coats) and one time when security did a test of my guitar case to see if I had drugs in it as well as questioning why my guitar had a battery in it, I've never really had issues with customs.

did they understand the very basic concept of active pickups

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

did they understand the very basic concept of active pickups

After some laughing, tugging on my collar a lot, and explaining how a pickup works, yes, they understood it.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Dirt posted:

Seagull/Godin also makes La Patrie classical style guitars that are also really nice for their price point.

I have a 800 dollar Seaguall "mini jumbo" acoustic/electric, a S6 12 string and a La Patrie Motif classical guitar and I love them all enough that I don't really see the need to buy something higher end.

Can you tell me a little more about the Motif? It looks sort of like a Torres. I had a La Patrie Etude for a while and found it a little too quiet - how is the Motif on volume? I should say that the Etude was absolutely beautifully finished, at least as good as some $2000+ classicals I have played.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Gilgameshback posted:

Can you tell me a little more about the Motif? It looks sort of like a Torres. I had a La Patrie Etude for a while and found it a little too quiet - how is the Motif on volume? I should say that the Etude was absolutely beautifully finished, at least as good as some $2000+ classicals I have played.

It's a little quieter than a normal size guitar, and the finish is a flat satin style finish. It sounds really nice, a lot brighter sounding than the other nylon string guitars I tried out before I decided on that one. I am not a classical guitar guy at all, I just bought one to have one to noodle around on basically. I like it a lot, and I don't really see the need to buy anything else in that vein.

Overall it's a great guitar IMO. I'd buy it again if I had to do it over. But I am not a mainly classical guy, so there might be something in it someone who is fully focused on that style might not like.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

After the first show this weekend, last night:

'Did you guys know your bass player was pissing in the bushes around the corner while he was playing his bass solo?'

Me: 'Yeah, there wasn't supposed to BE a bass solo.'

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

iostream.h posted:

After the first show this weekend, last night:

'Did you guys know your bass player was pissing in the bushes around the corner while he was playing his bass solo?'

Me: 'Yeah, there wasn't supposed to BE a bass solo.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XmMI9OhqcY

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the dimarzio fast track is a really sick neck pickup in this guitar, but i don't know if i'm feeling the jb in the bridge position. right now it feels really thrash metally but i'll wait and see how i feel once i get it set up in my usual tuning and see if i can grind on it for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

And he's now been dubbed Murderface, he's not sure how to take this.

Awesome weekend. Bike rally's are the best.