Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
hachimachi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

muike posted:

i don't really want to narc on anybody but this seems super unkosher or something idk

anyway, weird/bad music stuff, here is my new guitar with a headstock like a droopy dinger

Yea, at the risk of backseat modding it seems that we're flying a bit close to sun. I'd guess posting about fakes and buying fakes is ok, just don't link to it. I'd love to see what those $40 JEM's are like though.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

bunky posted:

holy moly

that is indeed a spicy-a meatball.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Dewgy posted:

I think aliexpress is gonna be my new best friend

oh boy, I thought I'd search for a lefty guitar

can you spot the deliberate mistake?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

White Dog Eggs posted:

Yea, at the risk of backseat modding it seems that we're flying a bit close to sun. I'd guess posting about fakes and buying fakes is ok, just don't link to it. I'd love to see what those $40 JEM's are like though.

They're probably $3 more impressive than your Russo monstrosity

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
you know a chinese rickenbacker copy is pretty tempting but im just imagining getting it, opening up the cavity to fix whatever shithouse wiring is in there, and just finding a mouse skeleton or something.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

SaNChEzZ posted:

They're probably $3 more impressive than your Russo monstrosity

Lead paint is tone paint sir :colbert:

shiksa posted:

you know a chinese rickenbacker copy is pretty tempting but im just imagining getting it, opening up the cavity to fix whatever shithouse wiring is in there, and just finding a mouse skeleton or something.

Weirdly the wiring is usually pretty good. The pick-ups quality is all over the place though. If anything is wrong with it, it'll be the fretwork.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Fair Hallion posted:

oh boy, I thought I'd search for a lefty guitar

can you spot the deliberate mistake?

That's the Eddie' Cochran country gentleman with the trem on backwards. my dad really wanted one at the time but they were all bought out then resold at stupid prices.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I'd really like a Gretsch but that neck heel.... :*(

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Please don't link to counterfeiter's websites.

Also that triple necked JEM ahahahahahaha what the gently caress

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

bunky posted:

holy moly

Dr. Faustus views this guitar like a normal man views the girl from total recall.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

Dr. Faustus views this guitar like a normal man views the girl from total recall.

fuckin lol

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
steve vai has played that except it was shaped like a heart

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i am rock maple hard

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
A friend of mine opened a guitar repair/modding side business. Back in high school he used to put together partscasters and poo poo, always with overly complicated and unnecessary electronics.

Who the gently caress needs 42 configurations on one guitar? I almost want to go check it out just to see what kind of crap he put into it.

If the wood type wasn't listed in the image, I'd be concerned.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

muike posted:

steve vai has played that except it was shaped like a heart

True, but he really did play that monstrosity too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY8wyKuLY2k

Revel in those guitar faces.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

True, but he really did play that monstrosity too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY8wyKuLY2k

Revel in those guitar faces.

i dont know which is worse, people paying him money to get on stage and improvise some bland boring gobbledygook, or that actually being a thought out composition.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

I've been to two Steve Vai shows.

I'm guilty of thoroughly enjoying both of them.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

BigHustle posted:

A friend of mine opened a guitar repair/modding side business. Back in high school he used to put together partscasters and poo poo, always with overly complicated and unnecessary electronics.

Who the gently caress needs 42 configurations on one guitar? I almost want to go check it out just to see what kind of crap he put into it.

I did one of those DIY kits last year for giggles and built a bass for my girlfriend. I added a 6-way rotary and two slide switches to give her 24 different pickup options simply because I could. :colbert:

Looking for something to do with that old 50s, 60s, or 70s counter top your replacing?

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

If wiring your guitars up to do ridiculous unnecessary poo poo is wrong, I don't want to be right. Super five-way for life.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

crashdome posted:

Looking for something to do with that old 50s, 60s, or 70s counter top your replacing?

would

Dirt
May 26, 2003

BigHustle posted:

A guy I know is sponsored* by some company who's name I can't remember that offers prewired pickguards that have 40-something and 64 pickup configurations(for a strat with 3 humbuckers). I wish I could remember their name, because their website was hilarious because it looked like it was straight out of 1997.

This is his strat:

*I think they gave him a discount if he mentioned them on Facebook ha

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i hear that if you're sufficiently good enough at guitar you can get free poo poo from guitar companies, is this real?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

i hear that if you're sufficiently good enough at guitar you can get free poo poo from guitar companies, is this real?

ive spent enough time playing van halen riffs in guitar center, obviously this isnt true

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

If you get famous enough big companies like Marshall will pay you to be seen playing their gear.

You don't even have to actually play it, you just need to look like you are:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Imagine trying to remember what all the little identical switches do when you're wasted.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Spanish Manlove posted:

No, you need a management company that has those connections.

My high school and college band tried to get the free poo poo on our own. We played shows and got some fanzine coverage that was really positive so we put together a press kit and wrote to all the companies we could think of. We had organized a small tour and thought we'd be able to get free poo poo to do it with. Marshall was the only ones that responded and it was basically just "thanks for using our equipment<insert Marshall history lesson> and feel free to use our logo on your tour advertisements." We went nuts with that so we just wrote "Marshal presents..." or "Sponsored by Marshall Amplification" on all of the show fliers.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

unlawfulsoup posted:

When I think Ibanez...

Yes. I'd have a house full of these if I could. When I was 17 these were the holy grail of new super-strats and they were a limited production run. Yes, I wants it, precious.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't know who the girl from Total Recall is (the original or the remake? You mean I think three tits are better than two? Uhg. I never saw the remake...) but yes I do admittedly like this guitar. A 12 string in an open-chord tuning, a regular six-string, and a fretless guitar, for one stage piece just for a big show.
Vai can pull it off, and he does, IMHO.
I don't care if I'm alone in liking this; but, there it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY8wyKuLY2k
It has an intersting build-up and a good hook when the song kicks in, and an amazing on-stage line-up.

I don't like everything Vai does or plays, and despite what is said about me I only have two JEMs and a few other RG-style Ibanezes that, if you played them, you might like, too.
Or maybe you wouldn't. Who cares?
It seems mostly a choice of aesthetics and features, and we all know there's no accounting for taste. Since that JEM777 was posted I've seen guitars in this thread that are way uglier and way less desirable to me; but for all the poo poo I take I wouldn't change my mind.

This is like the Xbone thread, except MIJ Ibanezes are loving awesome and probably the pinnacle of the Super-Strat concept. So, ok, it's not in vogue now, I get that. But I'm not sorry and I'm not wrong.

Dirt posted:

A guy I know is sponsored* by some company who's name I can't remember that offers prewired pickguards that have 40-something and 64 pickup configurations(for a strat with 3 humbuckers). I wish I could remember their name, because their website was hilarious because it looked like it was straight out of 1997.

This is his strat:

*I think they gave him a discount if he mentioned them on Facebook ha
I love actual Strat-styles, too. Not sure about those controls, but I'm crazy for a beautiful sunburst.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

loving franco. i was going to make a faustus joke when i posted that pic but i knew that dork would get a google alert that his name was mentioned and swoop in to avenge his honor. look at the mess that you've created

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

bunky posted:

loving franco. i was going to make a faustus joke when i posted that pic but i knew that dork would get a google alert that his name was mentioned and swoop in to avenge his honor. look at the mess that you've created
Go ahead, bunk, make your Faustus joke. Just make it good, please.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

ibanez rgs are actually really really cool everyone agrees on that 100% and that steve vai song is not garbage it is in fact good. can we move on please.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

Go ahead, bunk, make your Faustus joke. Just make it good, please.

the biggest joke is you busting into this thread like the kool aid man whenever someone says faustus, steve vai or ibanez jem

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
OK Audio test time!

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=72010681966478746082

Here's the url of the file Test 1.7z

It contains four de-identified wav files. Your mission is to identify the one with the best tone and the one with the most sustain. If you think it is the same one as the best tone one say so!

The program is four open chords strummed down and left to ring out. Your answer is one of C, I, K or V

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=03283643843160444077

That's the url of the file Test 2.7z

It contains six de-identified wav files. Your mission is to identify the one with the best tone and the one with the most sustain. If you think it is the same as the best tone one say so!

The program is four open chords strummed down and left to ring out then a simple scale up and back. Your answer is one of D,E,J,M,S or Y

Notes

I could go into a bunch of stuff about the methodology but meh.
I would have used tindeck but tindeck was today, for me at least, fubar.
I have spent years researching 'tone' myths on the Internet and examined many claims in depth on another music forum. Happy to discuss.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
When you post a Ibanez JEM, you summon the dark spirit of guitars. One could say you make a pact with the devil.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 25, 2014

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Except for the fact that Vai and JEMs and Ibanezes are frequently brought up in this thread, but I don't always poke my head in unless the thread is is on the front page of GBS. It's laughable that I must need some sort of alert to tell me this, but if it makes your derision taste better I'm cool with it.

Also, I like this one better (because I made it and it's more relevant and funnier than Kool-Aid or the dark spirit or whatever):

Sorry I like my ugly-rear end guitars. I'll leave you in peace again.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
youse guys posted the wrong vai vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiXR9ggRdFI

wait when did youtube pull that dumbass video he did with devin townsend?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to be fair (tbf?) I think your hideous guitars are extremely on topic.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
To be entirely fair: they're not hideous, they're not on topic; because they're from a time when Super-strats were being redesigned by people who knew what Super-strats needed to be to be awesome. You may not like the late-80s/early 90s colors, but that's ok. You can get guitars with the same specs made with traditional finishes and non neon-glow colors. I doubt you understand where they came from when they showed up in music stores, back before MARS music was the Wal-Mart of instruments and SAM ASH and MUSICIAN'S FRIEND/GUITAR CENTER came in and bought them all out, and all the local music stores died.

Hindsight, you probably don't understand what it did to the USA.

Those guitars are not ugly. They're hugely popular and I like watching you people pronounce how awful they are, but if you played them you'd probably love them.

Just my $0.02.oo.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

To be entirely fair: they're not hideous, they're not on topic; because they're from a time when Super-strats were being redesigned by people who knew what Super-strats needed to be to be awesome. You may not like the late-80s/early 90s colors, but that's ok. You can get guitars with the same specs made with traditional finishes and non neon-glow colors. I doubt you understand where they came from when they showed up in music stores, back before MARS music was the Wal-Mart of instruments and SAM ASH and MUSICIAN'S FRIEND/GUITAR CENTER came in and bought them all out, and all the local music stores died.

Hindsight, you probably don't understand what it did to the USA.

Those guitars are not ugly. They're hugely popular and I like watching you people pronounce how awful they are, but if you played them you'd probably love them.

Just my $0.02.oo.

hahahahah

• Locked thread