Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

marktheando posted:

Ah yes, the niece/uncle marriage, the Hapsburg specialty.

It gets better:
- Son/heir is married to the current queen of Bavaria, so that should be coming into the fold soon as well.
- I married off a random Da Capua to queen of Lotharingia. He promptly launches a host claim for Italy and steamrolls them. Unfortunately they didn't have kids but he's doing OK with taking Tunis.
- England is also ruled by a Da Capua.
- I've married enough extra Da Capua's into the French line of succession that they're going to have that throne at some point too.

So yes, this is the Habsburg Simulator run. :downs:

Also from the beta patch notes:

quote:

- Fixed bug where looters were able to siege several holdings in one province simultaneously.

:argh:

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

How do I actually go from being a vassal republic in the ERE to being a Consul of the empire? I can't seem to form a faction to install myself, probably because it isn't in elective. I am marrying my kids and grandkids to his kids hoping to at least get someone with a claim. My second oldest son is married to his daughter, their two sons are set to marry his youngest daughters. Their mother's sisters. Hopefully this will eventually allow me to put myself or a heir on the throne and get to work on restoring the old empire.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Byzantine Renounce Iconoclasm decision is busted. Somehow it knocks you back to Feudal Administration. Appointing duke-level strategoi so you don't have to worry about dukes gathering massive power is great.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 24, 2014

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Speaking of Byzantine religion, does a Byzantine with the Monothelite heresy gently caress up in the converter?

hiandbaii
Jul 24, 2014
any initial thoughts on the new beta patch?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

SkySteak posted:

Speaking of Byzantine religion, does a Byzantine with the Monothelite heresy gently caress up in the converter?

All heresies default to their parent religion. Shouldn't gently caress it up, but won't carry over either.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

It says converting from Iconoclast to Orthodox will piss Muslims off at your idolatry. What's the in game effect of that, relations penalty? Don't you already have that from being Christian?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Allyn posted:

All heresies default to their parent religion. Shouldn't gently caress it up, but won't carry over either.

Fair enough. My second question is that when my old Emporer died, my new one suddenly had Feudal as their system rather than Imperial Admin. New Emperor was an adult so no regent fuckery? What causes that?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
This expansion seemingly has no good features, I am just playing and am hit with some other dumb thing they made to punish players for no reason. The needing to win a "major battle" is a really stupid new rule. I was a viking ruler wanting to take Shetland, but of course I had to win a major battle. I guess those 800 man stacks I killed weren't major enough, I had to assault mainland Pictland and take out the 12k doomstack.

EDIT: I guess Shetland is really valuable to Christendom, that's why when I go to conquest it an alliance of 8 kings answer the call to blob onto Glasgow and refuse to leave.

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 25, 2014

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS
The latest beta patch is pretty good, but I'm not sure if there's something missing from the tribal castle tooltips. I took over some tribal lands, dumped my unlanded sons on them, and then upgraded their tribal castles *forts up so they could convert to feudalism. The tooltips for the *fort upgrades are accurate.. in that they say they'll give city walls, but castle walls aren't included, unlike the other upgrades (which will list both a castle and city upgrade that it will get when converted). When converted of course you don't get any walls if you are upgrading to feudal castles, which is a minor hindrance.

Adventurers are definitely still broken, or at least generally infuriating. A random adventurer took out the Duchy of Brunswick from the Karling blob in ~950 or so, and then immediately declared on me for Gelre, still having 30k troops (30k seems to be a standard amount - I console killed an adventurer earlier with the same amount). I own basically all Scandinavia, Frisia, Brittany, and Brittania, and can only raise 25k or so, and not in enough time to actually get there before they siege down all the holdings and claim victory.

I think retinues were too good before, and maybe cutting their size and keeping the cost might've made some sense, but at the moment they just suck too much to be of much use, unlike before. At least as a formerly-Tribal nation, the cost is just unbearably large to outfit any reasonable size of retinue (~5000 or so troops), and instead it's just better to get like 4 new holdings to help my vassals get their economy going.

Otherwise I'm digging a lot of the features, especially the vassal limits and relatively low demense scores (no more legalism boosts). It makes more sense to dump off a strong, independent kingdom in order to help the realm be stable during times of succession, and since they are generally of my dynasty I have an actual ally I can call (and they can call). Previously between having a demense that grew over time and retinues that became absurd, the late game wasn't interesting, so it's a big change. The tribal -> feudal hurdles and general slowness in getting more holdings in my vassal duchies has kept me from keeping up with the Karlings and others, which has made the game really interesting. The other pagan tribals seem to have enough troops to keep from getting squished, and have actually stayed competitive for a while, until I started eating them recently.

Thank god the gavelkind county stuff is being addressed though - I hated losing my capital counties every time. Thankfully I could just declare war and call in all my tribal vassals and roll them, but it was just silly.

Pervis fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 25, 2014

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Pervis posted:

Thank god the gavelkind county stuff is being addressed though - I hated losing my capital counties every time. Thankfully I could just declare war and call in all my tribal vassals and roll them, but it was just silly.

Just lost my capital thanks to my king's wife giving birth at 40 and my king croaking soon after. Down goes Legalism, down go the laws. :sigh:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So not sure if this is a common bug that's already been reported, but after I form a merchant republic from a tribe whenever I click on the laws window the game crashes. This a problem anyone else is facing?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Pervis posted:

The tooltips for the *fort upgrades are accurate.. in that they say they'll give city walls, but castle walls aren't included, unlike the other upgrades (which will list both a castle and city upgrade that it will get when converted). When converted of course you don't get any walls if you are upgrading to feudal castles, which is a minor hindrance.

That's because if you're upgrading to feudal, the fully upgraded fort is the castle. You don't get anything for fully upgrading the market if you go Republic, either.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Bishop Rodan posted:

New beta patch:

Holy poo poo these changes own.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I know I'm a big dummy, but is there a way to enable full-screen windowed mode for CK2? I'm trying to play it on my Mac, but apparently my mac hates alt-tabbing out of fullscreen games so I have to close it to do/look at anything else.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005
Having a vassal pope owns:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is there any way to invite other vassals into a revolt that weren't in the original faction?
I'm trying to install my sister-in-law on the Byzantine throne and when I tried to force the emperor to meet my demands he was fighting another rebellion and I had more than a 100% more troops than he. Then he still refused and the war went very well at first and I only had to capture two counties to get the score to 90% warscore but as soon as that happened the other revolt ended and they instantly became unoccupied. I've managed get the warscore up to 70% by using merceneries and attacking every army he sends to retake his lands but I'm going broke and he has far too many soldiers. Can I get his other vassals in on the rebellion somehow or do I just have to lose and try again later?

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

So not sure if this is a common bug that's already been reported, but after I form a merchant republic from a tribe whenever I click on the laws window the game crashes. This a problem anyone else is facing?

Whenever I had that problem, it was because the game didn't populate the other 4 patricians. Haven't had that problem since switching to the beta patch though.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Allyn posted:

I thought royal laws on converting to feudalism were supposed to get fixed in the first beta patch? Investiture is still hosed up, defaults to neither Papal nor Free when you make the switch :(

Is it before 10something? I've seen this too and just assume it's because you can't even choose Papal before some year in the 10XXs. I'm still always able to appoint bishops anyway.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So the gavelkind change now makes gavelkind actually make sense and something you might want to keep instead of being "gently caress you" and the start of the game being how quickly you can get out of it.

Johan posted:

Here is another beta patch, fixing even more issues and changing some behaviours that turned out to not work so well with the new mechanics.

One of the mechanics we have tweaked the most ( both in this patch in in the previous one ) is the dreaded Gavelkind split, we have changed it to to be somewhat kinder to the primary heir and to produce nicer splits.

Since the mechanic is very complex and is not explained well enough ingame, here is a breakdown of how it should work now:

All children ( taking gender laws into account ) are entitled to an inheritance, but those children do not need to get an even share of the inheritance.

The split will now attempt to split only Dejure Duchies if it can, and your primary heir will always have preference to inherit the duchy where your capital is located, so if you have enough land to enure all your children get something, your primary heir will inherit all your lands in your capital duchy.

So: say you have 3 sons and 5 demsne holdings.

If all 5 demense holdings are in your capital duchy your younger 2 sons will get a county each and your primary heir will get 3 ( always including your capital ).

If 2 of your demense holdings are in your capital duchy, 2 are in another duchy and 1 is in a third duchy your primary heir will get the 2 in your capital duchy, your second son will get the 2 in the other duchy and your third son will get the last one.

If only your capital in your capital duchy and the remaining 4 demense holdings are in 2 other duchies your primary heir will only inherit your capital, his younger sons will get the other holdings.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Tribals and pagans can now raid others of the same religion.

BEST PATCH EVER.

hiandbaii
Jul 24, 2014

Gorelab posted:

Tribals and pagans can now raid others of the same religion.

BEST PATCH EVER.

I've always found it more convenient to raid other religions since non pagan regions tended to be richer anyways

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Ireland being able to raid each other and England is a lot better than the current situation.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

This expansion seemingly has no good features, I am just playing and am hit with some other dumb thing they made to punish players for no reason. The needing to win a "major battle" is a really stupid new rule. I was a viking ruler wanting to take Shetland, but of course I had to win a major battle. I guess those 800 man stacks I killed weren't major enough, I had to assault mainland Pictland and take out the 12k doomstack.

EDIT: I guess Shetland is really valuable to Christendom, that's why when I go to conquest it an alliance of 8 kings answer the call to blob onto Glasgow and refuse to leave.

Domino theory 1000 years early.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

So are there any major outstanding issues now that the latest beta patch is out? I've been waiting to jump back into CK2 and it seems like they've covered over most of the rough edges. It looks like they haven't done anything to slow the Abbasid clown car at the 8th century startdate but I don't plan on starting a game from the Charlemagne bookmark yet so I'm not that fussed.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I decided to play a Republic, and I swear the AI is smarter than it lets on. The second I drop from being the Doge down to just a patrician, the Byzantine's decide to declare a de jure war for Venezia. Also, how the gently caress do the Byzantines have a claim on Venezia? I game overed from it.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Another Person posted:

I decided to play a Republic, and I swear the AI is smarter than it lets on. The second I drop from being the Doge down to just a patrician, the Byzantine's decide to declare a de jure war for Venezia. Also, how the gently caress do the Byzantines have a claim on Venezia? I game overed from it.

The AI is not smart, it just scans around until it finds something it can eat up easily.

My game has bugged out now, I am trying to snatch land from some revolt. I occupied literally every territory and killed everything but a single stupid galley. He won't surrender, he is sitting in an occupied holding but it is still tribal. The game can't figure that the renamed tribal holding is in fact the same as the capital of a province. So I just can't win this war. It's great. I guess all I've learned from this awful playthrough is don't ever play on Ironman.

EDIT: Oh great it ended up waiting so long he gained enough piety to hire the knights templar.

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 25, 2014

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Another Person posted:

Venice starts as part of de-jure Byz.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Venice is de jure Byzantine and it's really bad for gameplay I think, it, and Sicily in non-CM start dates shouldn't be dejure Byzantine. Croatia and Georgia also suffer from this.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Byz takes Venice and turns it into a feudal duchy every single drat game.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I still get random crashes with the new beta patch, not entirely sure what's causing them. Might have to start a new game instead of continuing from the last Beta patch...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Rome's not even de jure Byzantine in the 700s start! Of course maybe that's good for gameplay so the emperor can't go overthrow the pope on day one.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
As Amalfi, if you build a trade post on Rome, is it a terrible idea to declare war on Rome to try an seize a city? The Pope has no listed allies, but I get a feeling that taking a city from him might cause all the other Catholic forces in the known world to swarm me in his defence.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
It may have changed, but last times I did that-

As an Orthodox
- Declare war only for pressing claims to get the county, not as a holy war. A holy war will invite many Catholics.
- If you're independent, there's a chance Catholic neighbors will declare war on your for it since they don't have to worry about papal relations hits and seem to be keen on giving it back to the pope.
- If you're under the Byzantine protection, no one's going to mess with you. But if they go Catholic, they're taking it away from you and giving it to the Pope without any say from you.

As a Catholic
- Since you're only able to declare on pressed claims, no one will come to his aid who isn't an ally. So you can take whatever you please.
- I believe you will get a request to give it back to the pope later which you can refuse. Accepting it gives a relationship boost with the pope (which won't cover the hit you take for the war), and they get the entire county back.
- You must stay independent because your liege will give the pope his land back. Stay in control too, as competing families may do the same as a republic.

Be warned, the pope has a ton of cash and will hire large numbers of mercenaries over and over again. You're best off taking him out ASAP with lots of cash on hand and maybe hiring one of the largest mercs available to take it away from him. You'll have the advantage of being prepared while his hired mercs are low morale. He will be making more money than you can (most likely), so siege fast.

Not sure if it's changed much in Charlemagne.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Bel Monte posted:

It may have changed, but last times I did that-

As an Orthodox
- Declare war only for pressing claims to get the county, not as a holy war. A holy war will invite many Catholics.
- If you're independent, there's a chance Catholic neighbors will declare war on your for it since they don't have to worry about papal relations hits and seem to be keen on giving it back to the pope.
- If you're under the Byzantine protection, no one's going to mess with you. But if they go Catholic, they're taking it away from you and giving it to the Pope without any say from you.

As a Catholic
- Since you're only able to declare on pressed claims, no one will come to his aid who isn't an ally. So you can take whatever you please.
- I believe you will get a request to give it back to the pope later which you can refuse. Accepting it gives a relationship boost with the pope (which won't cover the hit you take for the war), and they get the entire county back.

Be warned, the pope has a ton of cash and will hire large numbers of mercenaries over and over again. You're best off taking him out ASAP with lots of cash on hand and maybe hiring one of the largest mercs available to take it away from him. You'll have the advantage of being prepared while his hired mercs are low morale. He will be making more money than you can (most likely), so siege fast.

Not sure if it's changed much in Charlemagne.

Will he really be able to hire mercs if I am sat on Rome sieging him? (I would only be taking the cities, not too interested in the county)

Also, I am no longer supreme doge, but now I have an issue. I can't declare wars on other patricians to seize posts off of them. I am waaaay above them in terms of posts built, is that why? Can you only seize if you are below the trade cap?

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Beamed posted:

I know I'm a big dummy, but is there a way to enable full-screen windowed mode for CK2? I'm trying to play it on my Mac, but apparently my mac hates alt-tabbing out of fullscreen games so I have to close it to do/look at anything else.

On Windows you go to "C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\settings.txt", and set "fullScreen=no" and "borderless=yes". Size should be whatever your monitor's resolution is. I don't know where the settings.txt is stored on Mac, but I assume you have one somewhere and that the settings work the same.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

Another Person posted:

As Amalfi, if you build a trade post on Rome, is it a terrible idea to declare war on Rome to try an seize a city? The Pope has no listed allies, but I get a feeling that taking a city from him might cause all the other Catholic forces in the known world to swarm me in his defence.

He doesn't have allies, but he's stupendously rich and can hire lots of mercenaries. Also, getting an opinion malus from him makes it harder to get that sweet, sweet Pope gold.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Non Sequitur posted:

He doesn't have allies, but he's stupendously rich and can hire lots of mercenaries. Also, getting an opinion malus from him makes it harder to get that sweet, sweet Pope gold.

Money ain't ever an issue for a merchant republic

Also, I still can't figure out why I can't seize tradeposts from other patricians in the republic. I've been able to before, but now I just don't have a CB apparently.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Another Person posted:

Money ain't ever an issue for a merchant republic

Also, I still can't figure out why I can't seize tradeposts from other patricians in the republic. I've been able to before, but now I just don't have a CB apparently.

You can;t take trade posts from patricians who have less than you. It would be stupid if you could for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Another Person posted:

Will he really be able to hire mercs if I am sat on Rome sieging him? (I would only be taking the cities, not too interested in the county)

Troops will pop up in a nearby county, even if he doesn't own it, last I tried. He will pull a ton of troops out in the first wave, but will hire more mercs for a second wave. Usually I kill those new mercs before he hires more, and he will hire more if given time. I've seen him with two merc units before, though by then they were small units as he burned through a few bigger merc units.

• Locked thread