Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

So, having a blast here w/ Bayo 1. There is some INSANE slowdown on one of the first fights though (some twin-headed dragon thing), I hope this is just because they ported and Bayonetta 2 won't have this problem? Like, crazy slowdown and lag.

Oh cool, it's not just me then. There's a lot of slowdown in this port, a lot more than the original but not as bad as the PS3 port. I get a fair bit of input lag though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo UK dudes, I don't know much about this site so forgive me if there's some obvious downside to buying from them, but they have some cheap stuff right now:

NSMBU - £13.95 - http://www.thegamecollection.net/new-super-mario-bros-wii-u.html
Wii Party U (game only) - £9.99 - http://www.thegamecollection.net/wii-party-u-game-only-wii-u.html
ZombiU - £7.95 - http://www.thegamecollection.net/zombiu-wii-u.html

BIT.TRIP Complete - £2.95 - http://www.thegamecollection.net/bit-trip-complete-wii.html
Punch-Out!! - £2.95 - http://www.thegamecollection.net/punch-out-wii.html

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
I've ordered plenty from them. Never had a problem.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ZergRushing posted:

lol dude just put it in and see wtf

I was phone posting away from home... but yeah. I'll probably just do that as soon as I can.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm losing cables left and right, here. By chance are there any good third-party accessories for charging the gamepad, remote and pro controller off one power plug?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I'm losing cables left and right, here. By chance are there any good third-party accessories for charging the gamepad, remote and pro controller off one power plug?

Dunno about Pro Controller, but this Energizer one seems pretty legit.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

It looks like Bayo 2 was built from the ground up, and runs pretty perfectly (and doesn't look like a game from 2008!) Bayo 1 just seems like a rough-around-the-edges port. Whatever, it was free, it just doesn't stand up to Bayo 2, performance-wise, the way I was hoping it would. Someone else mentioned input lag as well -- I felt it, too. Missed probably 90% of my dodges; went to Bayo 2, and made 90% of my dodges.

vvvvvvvv- Could be, but it doesn't feel like it to me. It's not that "at or near 60FPS slowdown" effect, it's that stuttery, can't handle all these polygons and lovely code slowdown effect.

enojy fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 25, 2014

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Tatsuta Age posted:

So, having a blast here w/ Bayo 1. There is some INSANE slowdown on one of the first fights though (some twin-headed dragon thing), I hope this is just because they ported and Bayonetta 2 won't have this problem? Like, crazy slowdown and lag.

I assumed that this part was slow motion on purpose.

Also I got the first print edition, it is mad how quality the book thing is.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
So is Normal mode on Bayonetta 1 supposed to be ball-bustingly hard and I should just swallow my pride and kick it down to Easy? It does feel really hard to time my dodges, I only seem to actually activate Witch Time half the time.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Wild Knight posted:

So is Normal mode on Bayonetta 1 supposed to be ball-bustingly hard and I should just swallow my pride and kick it down to Easy? It does feel really hard to time my dodges, I only seem to actually activate Witch Time half the time.

It's a Platinum game so Normal is gonna be tougher than you're probably used to seeing on Normal. Stick with it though, the best part of these games is getting good at them.

E: Learn to witch time, that's pretty much all that matters WRT making it through the level without dying.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I beat Mario 3D world last night, and started on the Star level. Goddamn this game is oozing charm. I'm sad I only have 8 or so more levels left.

Now I'm waiting on Bayo 2 to come in. I've been waiting for it since I saw the promo trailer 2-3 years ago. I'm so stoked.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Watrick posted:

I beat Mario 3D world last night, and started on the Star level. Goddamn this game is oozing charm. I'm sad I only have 8 or so more levels left.

Now I'm waiting on Bayo 2 to come in. I've been waiting for it since I saw the promo trailer 2-3 years ago. I'm so stoked.

Don't worry, those last handful of levels ramp the difficulty up, and the last two proper levels will easily tide you over until Bayonetta 2 arrives. Just exercise some restraint and don't break anything if you want to be able to play it. I think you have to go back and get all of the stars to unlock those two. It's worth it.

enojy fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 25, 2014

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm replaying Bayonetta 1 first, and goddamn I forgot how annoying Grace & Glory are.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

enojy posted:

Don't worry, those last handful of levels ramp the difficulty up, and the last two proper levels will easily tide you over until Bayonetta 2 arrives. Just exercise some restraint and don't break anything if you want to be able to play it. I think you have to go back and get all of the stars to unlock those two. It's worth it.

I still haven't unlocked them. I can't really find it in me to spend the hour or so it would take to get the last of the flagpoles. I already re-did the game to get all the green stars. Maybe I'll try playing on just the gamepad while I watch a stream or something.

E: Can Nintendo stop this?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
You haven't even played 3D World

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Looper posted:

You haven't even played 3D World

aren't there 3 extra levels? I really liked 3D Land but gently caress playing the whole game 4 times just to play some super hard stage.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Austrian mook posted:

aren't there 3 extra levels? I really liked 3D Land but gently caress playing the whole game 4 times just to play some super hard stage.

Clearing each stage with all 5 characters is only for unlocking the final stamp and more stars on your save file. The final levels are accessible by collecting all green stars and having at least one character per stage reach the top of the flagpole.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Skyward Sword takes its sweet time doesn't it?

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Austrian mook posted:

You don't have to, to unlock the super-hard last stage you only have to get all of the green stars and gold flag poles. Clearing the game with all five characters only gives you another little star displayed on your save file if you care about those things, nothing more, it's never needed to actually unlock anything meaningful.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

greatn posted:

Clearing each stage with all 5 characters is only for unlocking the final stamp and more stars on your save file. The final levels are accessible by collecting all green stars and having at least one character per stage reach the top of the flagpole.

Yeah, I've done all the green stars and I just need to flagpole the bonus worlds but, eh. gently caress it.

James Woods Fan posted:

Skyward Sword takes its sweet time doesn't it?

yes.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also it doesn't take nearly as long to beat a stage when you don't need to get the stars. If you're missing golden flag poles anywhere just redo the levels with Peach in the cat suit for a pretty much automatic golden flag and you'll have it done in no time.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Yeah the flagpoles are super easy and take like zero time, getting everything else but stopping there is weird

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'm replaying Bayonetta 1 first, and goddamn I forgot how annoying Grace & Glory are.

They first took me like seven tries to beat but then they became my favorite enemies to fight. It's so intense!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Supercar Gautier posted:

My favorite part is where there are two sets of them back to back in an L shaped hallway that screws with your camera. :suicide:

I'm getting stone awards constantly even though I'm getting silvers and golds on almost everything. I might go back and not die on them later, but I want to beat this game then move on to the second one.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I also love how Hard mode immediately shows you how real that poo poo is by throwing a Grace and Glory into the opening fight. It's just a big red flag telling you to not touch that mode until you're good and ready.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

enojy posted:

That's awesome. I noticed a spike in difficulty already. It's quite nice. I have a large back catalogue to play if it starts to get me angry. The last time I threw a controller was during Ninja Gaiden II, or I Wanna Be the Guy. I can't remember which, both pissed me off.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

axleblaze posted:

I also love how Hard mode immediately shows you how real that poo poo is by throwing a Grace and Glory into the opening fight. It's just a big red flag telling you to not touch that mode until you're good and ready.

Platinum does this in most of their games. Hard mode isn't just more health and damage for the baddies, it's different enemy layouts and usually harder AI as well.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Renoistic posted:

They first took me like seven tries to beat but then they became my favorite enemies to fight. It's so intense!

They're really all-or-nothing, I find. Sometimes I dispatch them perfectly, but just getting caught in one or two of their combos spells doom.

And yeah, the first time the game drops a second set on you is like a mean joke.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

axleblaze posted:

You should see what it does in Vanquish. That Level 1-3 fight (the one in the demo culminating in the first Argus fight) goes from being a squad to a veritable battalion (with big-rear end dropships delivering a few dozen more mid-fight) made up of a bunch of Gorgie types you're not meant to encounter until mid/late-game. I think there's even a few of the blue Gorgie-USG's, which you don't normally see till like late Chapter 4.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Was Vanquish good? I never played it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

Was Vanquish good? I never played it.

It's the best cover shooter that you shouldn't play as a cover shooter ever.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Vanquish is the only fun cover shooter (because it actively encourages you to not be in cover)

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Your primary mode of transportation is power sliding. Vanquish is cool.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Mr E posted:

It's the best cover shooter that you shouldn't play as a cover shooter ever.

The whole sliding mechanic looks neat, but are there other locations and stuff or is it all just spaceship stuff? Also, are the levels designed around the sliding thing or just laid out pieces of cover?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

absolutely anything posted:

Vanquish is the only fun cover shooter (because it actively encourages you to not be in cover)

Uncharted does this as well.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

I don't really think of Uncharted as a cover shooter. Like yeah it has cover but it's not really like Gears of War or the 11 billion games that tried to rip it off, which is what Vanquish is closer to.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

The whole sliding mechanic looks neat, but are there other locations and stuff or is it all just spaceship stuff? Also, are the levels designed around the sliding thing or just laid out pieces of cover?

It's all the same setting, and can be beat in like 2 hours pretty easily, but it's stupid fun and the sliding is really great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Austrian mook posted:

It's all set on a single big-rear end space colony, but yes there's a wide variety of terrain types over the course of the game. It's not all the same corridor pieces two hundred times.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

So what's the next big thing after Smash/Captain Toad? Not like I won't have hundreds of hours of stuff to play between what I have and some Wii backlog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fix posted:

So what's the next big thing after Smash/Captain Toad? Not like I won't have hundreds of hours of stuff to play between what I have and some Wii backlog.

Yoshi's Wooly World, then I think Star Fox and Zelda U?

• Locked thread