Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
His name is Wildcat, no relation to Catman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

tsob posted:

Arrow has already had enough perfect foils in Merlyn and Deathstroke (not sure who the third season's villain is since I'm still going through season two after starting Flash), so personally I'd prefer to see some less perfect ones and more complimentary ones. Seeing him take on someone with actual superpowers, even if relatively low level as a season villain of some kind for instance. That's partially because I actually kind of like heroic Catman as an aging and over-the-hill Batman who mainly uses boxing though, even from my minor exposure to him through the cartoons. I've no idea how he relates to villain Catman however.

Wildcat and Catman were completely unrelated, until it was retconned that all cat-themed heroes and villains were inspired by the divine King of Cats being imprisoned by a magician and were trying to fill the void he left.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Wildcat and Catman were completely unrelated, until it was retconned that all cat-themed heroes and villains were inspired by the divine King of Cats being imprisoned by a magician and were trying to fill the void he left.

That sounds like a really stupid and, more to the point, needless retcon. Thanks for the clarification though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

The big difference is Flash has one of the best rogue galleries in comics, and Green Arrow has ??

For what it's worth, the only actual Flash villain he's faced so far was in the first episode. The other two were rogues of Firestorm and Starman, so while it's appropriate to use GA's personal rogues for big villains, it probably wouldn't hurt if they started picking from other galleries. Enemies like Maxwell Lord or Kobra or Brother Blood

Or they could try Onomatopoeia is Kevin Smith doesn't oppose/throw a shitfit.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
DC is gay for retcons, or just retcons gays. It's a bit of both

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kevin Smith gets money if they use him, why would he care?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

tsob posted:

That sounds like a really stupid and, more to the point, needless retcon. Thanks for the clarification though.

Everything after the first clause is a comics joke not true though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Xelkelvos posted:

For what it's worth, the only actual Flash villain he's faced so far was in the first episode. The other two were rogues of Firestorm and Starman, so while it's appropriate to use GA's personal rogues for big villains, it probably wouldn't hurt if they started picking from other galleries. Enemies like Maxwell Lord or Kobra or Brother Blood

Why would they use Brother Blood when they just used him in Arrow? I wonder if either show is going to do a version of the Judas Contract.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

tsob posted:

I was considering this, and more specifically who they could substitute for Wonder Woman over the last few days after someone mentioned it a few pages back and I think the closest analogue is probably Powergirl, since she's another super powered female who loves a good fight. It's not really a great match, especially considering her origins in the past have either been dependent on another hero (Superman/Supergirl), alternate universes or just being completely loving crazy - but there aren't many other big name (or even second string) heroines to really go for at the same time. What's odd is, given the Wonder Woman movie's development hell she's probably not really someone who needs to worry about that regardless. Despite being one of the big three and immensely famous as comic's characters go, she's her own analogue in this case.

The Arrow/Flash showrunners are already developing a Supergirl show that would probably be set in the same continuity, but I agree that Power Girl would be a better fit. She automatically stands on her own, without any obvious connection to Superman, and they could just rewrite or ignore her convoluted history and present her as Amanda Conner and Judd Winick's fun-loving career woman who happens to also be an rear end-kicking superheroine.

Basically, David E. Kelley's terrible ideas for the Wonder Woman TV show would fit very well for Power Girl, based on her existing characterization.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

Onomatopoeia wouldn't work in live action.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

muscles like this? posted:

In fact they tried in season 1 of arro, decided it wouldn't work and jnstead made Mr. Blank

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

In fact they tried in season 1 of arro, decided it wouldn't work and jnstead made Mr. Blank

Yeah, I was gonna bring that up. And I'm not sure why anyone in their right mind thinks it would work. It's pretty goofy on the page, it'd be loving absurd on screen.

Then again Flash is hinting at a talking gorilla, so what do I know?

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

I just recently binged Arrow and I don't recall this. Can you elaborate?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

mcswizzle posted:

I just recently binged Arrow and I don't recall this. Can you elaborate?

He was Charles Gunn.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Wait, the assassin who Oliver killed was supposed to be a DC character?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, the assassin who Oliver killed was supposed to be a DC character?

The guy who broke into the Queen household? Yes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not to be ungrateful but is there any way to make the background a static image?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Not to be ungrateful but is there any way to make the background a static image?

Why make it a gif at that point, the face isn't moving?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 24, 2014

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Like this?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Slightly related: The same guy who was cast as Kyle Nimbus (aka The Mist) for The Flash is also playing Victor Zsasz in Gotham.

Pretty cool considering the guy did a decent run as a criminal hellbent on revenge, and he definitely has the look of "psychotic murderer" nailed down.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 25, 2014

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Scyantific posted:

Slightly related: The same guy who was cast as Kyle Nimbus (aka The Mist) for The Flash is also playing Victor Zsasz in Gotham.

Man, that guy is really making a permanent mark. He's tallying up a lot of appearances!

Go ahead, Gotham writers, you can use that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, Zsasz is exactly the kind of character Gotham SHOULD use. He's a serial killer with a relatively low-key gimmick. (By the standards of Gotham City. He's not a murder-clown or plant-fetishist, at least)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, I was gonna bring that up. And I'm not sure why anyone in their right mind thinks it would work. It's pretty goofy on the page, it'd be loving absurd on screen.

Then again Flash is hinting at a talking gorilla, so what do I know?

They could use The Emoticon Man!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Rasczak posted:

Like this?

If you replace the black background with a static version of the original background, you'll have nailed it.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Kin posted:

If you replace the black background with a static version of the original background, you'll have nailed it.

Heading out, but I might do that tomorrow

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Scyantific posted:

Pretty cool considering the guy did a decent run as a criminal hellbent on revenge, and he definitely has the look of "psychotic murderer" nailed down.

I knew he looked familiar; I saw him for a second in a Gotham trailer.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Everything after the first clause is a comics joke not true though.

This is the same comics universe that gave us like fifty billion mutually exclusive origins for Hawkman, so odds are it'll probably wind up being true within a few months anyway.

EDIT: Moving away from that topic:

Scyantific posted:

Guess that rules out what little chance still existed of a crossover between Arrow/Flash and the shows on the other networks. Probably for the best, though.

Technogeek fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 25, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Technogeek posted:

This is the same comics universe that gave us like fifty billion mutually exclusive origins for Hawkman, so odds are it'll probably wind up being true within a few months anyway.

EDIT: Moving away from that topic:

Guess that rules out what little chance still existed of a crossover between Arrow/Flash and the shows on the other networks. Probably for the best, though.

There's a slim chance of one between the CW and CBS, if that Supergirl show gets to air.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
They already can't cross over Arrow/Flash and Gotham, The Dollmaker was dealt with during Season 2 of Arrow, but showed up in the second episode of Gotham with a completely different MO and such. And no matter how you tweak the timelines, the Arrow origin of Dollmaker just can't sync up with anything Gotham put forth.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Kin posted:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I wonder if Wells is even aware on the evil poo poo he is doing. That when he is walking he is possessed by someone from the future.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rasczak posted:

Like this?

Is there a trick to isolating it or did you erase by hand?

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Someone has probably posted this already but I was talking about reasons for why Wells is faking the wheelchair thing with a friend, and the best we came up with was that he was injured in the particle accelerator incident. More importantly, he was seen to be injured and treated for a spinal fracture (or something) and told he's paralyzed. If he was a speedster like Barry, he'd likely have healed fairly quickly (say, a few days) but that'd be long enough that openly going around without the chair would attract way too much notice. Thoughts?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I like it, and it also works even if he's not a speedster and just a time traveler with access to future medicine.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Or maybe he just figured "No one suspects the guy in the wheelchair!"

Certainly worked on Stagg.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Michael Winslow
:colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

D-Pad posted:

Michael Winslow

"Boooooiiip! blooooopblooopblop ding! Uhhh, poo poo. I mean BANG! BANG BANG BANG!"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

D-Pad posted:

Michael Winslow

Bit like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTKmEG7ewso

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

if you throw in 'NO!' beneath this gif I guarantee it will be used during forum arguments for the next 7 years...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Is there a trick to isolating it or did you erase by hand?

By hand, I knocked it down to three frames so it didn't take long at all.

Dead Snoopy posted:

if you throw in 'NO!' beneath this gif I guarantee it will be used during forum arguments for the next 7 years...

• Locked thread