Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So hey, this is happening in the next version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCETFMsrNxE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Huh. Should be interesting to see how that interacts with my water-themed world and my fire-themed world. My computer probably won't be too happy, either way. :v:

Silus
Dec 28, 2012

That might fix the bug of using pumps to get infinite water / lava / honey. Still pretty excited for 1.3 to come out.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Silus posted:

That might fix the bug of using pumps to get infinite water / lava / honey. Still pretty excited for 1.3 to come out.

He said he was intentionally leaving the duplication bug in.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Dootman posted:

:eyepop:

I wish more devs did stuff like that.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Dootman posted:

Did he mention the bucket bug? That's by far the best way to make small pools of liquids.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Read posted:

:eyepop:

I wish more devs did stuff like that.
Don't let the one act make you forget all the other poo poo Redigit's put in to stifle player strategies and force linearity of progression. From key molds to meteor farming nerfs, almost every update has stamped out what he felt was too easy or early an advantage. There's a lot to like, of course, but Red is hardly the developer you should use as an example when it comes to allowing player freedom/clever exploits and the like.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Running a terraria server for some friends, but not playing myself is like having the world's most insane ant farm. One day you log in and the spawn is nicely decorated houses, two days later it's a wasteland with tunnels everywhere and everyone has moved somewhere else on the map.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'll admit, the biggest problem I have with Terraria (and from what I've heard, Starbound as well), is that the developers are INTENSELY confident that progression must be as linear as possible in their open-world sandbox game. A few concessions have been made here and there (like being able to fish to just say 'gently caress it' and skip the pre-hardmode material progression for picks), but could be unintentional given how many times they've gone back and eliminated alternative routes of progression.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Boogalo posted:

Running a terraria server for some friends, but not playing myself is like having the world's most insane ant farm. One day you log in and the spawn is nicely decorated houses, two days later it's a wasteland with tunnels everywhere and everyone has moved somewhere else on the map.

Yup, discovered this the morning after it went live. Having little-to-no creativity myself it's incredible what gets built in a matter of hours.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dootman posted:

That's weird, if he's for people having infinite liquid why not make infinite water/lava/honey generators you can craft?

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!
Watching that video made me realize that it really doesn't make sense that lava/honey fall slower than water.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I can see why honey would fall slower if it's touching something else like a wall or more honey.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
It's the best you can really do to simulate an especially viscous fluid, I think; honey and lava are slow enough to bind to themselves, of course. The fact that the then-disconnected fluids sort of gracefully flutter downward at a snail's pace is a limitation of the design of the game. I'm not saying it COULDN'T be fixed/different, I'm just saying that I don't think we were ever going to get better than that.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
I built up a nice little AFK farm and just changed the blocks around it and ended up with all of my key molds (also finally got my 3rd broken hero sword to finally get the drat Terra Blade.) I also ended up with an uzi and all kinds of other fun things. I think I'm up to like 48 frost cores.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Hey, what should my goals be to be able to fight the mechanical bosses in hard mode? I am getting my rear end kicked despite just finishing Titanium armor and having a couple good weapons (Golden Shower and a Beam Sword). Any advice?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I'll admit, the biggest problem I have with Terraria (and from what I've heard, Starbound as well), is that the developers are INTENSELY confident that progression must be as linear as possible in their open-world sandbox game. A few concessions have been made here and there (like being able to fish to just say 'gently caress it' and skip the pre-hardmode material progression for picks), but could be unintentional given how many times they've gone back and eliminated alternative routes of progression.

What's this now? I've never done fishing in game, please explain how this works.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Rashomon posted:

Hey, what should my goals be to be able to fight the mechanical bosses in hard mode? I am getting my rear end kicked despite just finishing Titanium armor and having a couple good weapons (Golden Shower and a Beam Sword). Any advice?

For Destroyer:

-Ironskin + Regeneration potions (feel free to add more, but those two are easy to make and give a solid advantage)
-An arena with a campfire, a heart lantern, and as many heart and star statues connected to triple-wired 1-second timers as you found in the world (you'll want at least one of each)
-A mage type with Golden Shower and Nimbus Rod will crush him quickly.
-You'll want to kill him first, because he's the easiest (his flying drones drop healing hearts), and his boss soul is required to build the Megashark, which will crush The Twins and work extremely well against Skeletron Prime

For Skeletron Prime:

-The potions and the arena that you used for Destroyer
-Craft a Megashark and used ranged options for him; Ichor Bullets are the best for their synergy with Megashark's low damage/high attack speed

For The Twins:

-After killing either other boss, they Steampunker will appear at your town. She sells the item you need to make asphalt. Make a ton of asphalt, and build a very long runway up in the sky.
-Equip the Megashark and your ranged gear, and easily crush the Twins by simply running away on asphalt while shooting backwards.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 24, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Evil Fluffy posted:

What's this now? I've never done fishing in game, please explain how this works.
With the right bait you can fish up ore or even ingots, and if hardmode's unlocked that can include hardmode ores. Further, I believe you can fish up ores not native to your world, so it's another method on top of the extractinator that can give you exotic metals.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Not exactly what I was thinking of; you can do what I did on a recent character and fish up a shark that's actually a pick. It has enough power to mine all the pre-hardmode ores, meaning you can move straight to hellstone/demonite/crimson/meteor gear at your earliest convenience without moving through the regular ores and then the early boss ores. It's relatively rare though, so it's probably not any more efficient on average than just using explosives to cheese your way through most of pre-hardmode early. I just happened to get lucky when I actively tried for it to see how feasible it was.

Unfortunately, once you're in Hardmode, as far as I can tell you're SOL and mostly need to stick to the progression again unless you're shithot at building arenas for the mechbosses, which I apparently am not.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
If you're wearing titanium armor, you're about as prepared for the Destroyer as you can be. Golden Shower isn't the end-all be-all easy win button for that fight but it's still pretty solid. Other than that, the best thing you can do is to remember that buff potions matter in hardmode, a lot (if you have the Goblin Tinkerer and plenty of gold to spare, reforging accessories for defense buffs also helps).

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
On that note, holy loving poo poo. Did they buff the ever-loving hell out of the mechbosses sometime in the past year? I just tried the Destroyer with a fresh character I've been running with for the first time in a very, very long time, and he just murders the poo poo out of me. Dao of Pow, Ice Sickle, multiple buff potions and an ichor flask, a small arena with honey, heart lamps, and campfires, adamantine armor, and a pretty basic set of accessories, mostly reforged for damage with one for Warding, and I can't loving touch him. Four tries (one with a minishark and crystal bullets for variety), and I don't think I got more than an eighth of his health off on any one of those tries. In fairness, my prior characters all leaned heavily on magic, so maybe I just need to refit for that or build a much, MUCH larger and more involved arena to deal with it, which is something I loving hate doing.

Goddamn. I'm not good at this game, but I got my rear end whooped hard.

To-do list:

Fill out the rest of my health (the mystical 420 is evidently not enough)
Reforge all accessories for Warding
Farm mimics for another thirty hours for a philosopher's stone. Alternatively, steal one from a pre-existing character
Reforge weapons for Legendary
Try not to die
Die

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 25, 2014

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Build the arena high enough up in the sky that he's not in your face all the time (giving you time to regenerate), but naturally not high enough that he can't reach it.

That said, I wouldn't recommend using melee weapons to kill it unless you've killed either of the other two mechanical bosses and gotten a Death Scythe or True night's Edge from a Solar Eclipse.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, I figured I'd give it a shot, but I'm nowhere near good enough nor do I have plan good enough to really do that. I don't really want to min-max for cheesing the mechbosses with the mini-shark and magic AGAIN; I guess I'll probably just leave it be.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

In fairness, my prior characters all leaned heavily on magic,
Golden Shower used to have infinite piercing, which murdered the Destroyer, but doesn't anymore, so this might be part of it. But melee is just a pretty bad choice for fighting bosses in general in this game.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Melee gets pretty good at the point where none of the melee weapons are actually melee weapons, all of them shooting projectiles on swing. Death Sickle is just straight up ace.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zereth posted:

Golden Shower used to have infinite piercing, which murdered the Destroyer, but doesn't anymore, so this might be part of it. But melee is just a pretty bad choice for fighting bosses in general in this game.

You can still cheese the Destroyer since it has a limited vertical range and will eventually jump almost straight up at you if you build a little box in the sky.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

On that note, holy loving poo poo. Did they buff the ever-loving hell out of the mechbosses sometime in the past year? I just tried the Destroyer with a fresh character I've been running with for the first time in a very, very long time, and he just murders the poo poo out of me. Dao of Pow, Ice Sickle, multiple buff potions and an ichor flask, a small arena with honey, heart lamps, and campfires, adamantine armor, and a pretty basic set of accessories, mostly reforged for damage with one for Warding, and I can't loving touch him. Four tries (one with a minishark and crystal bullets for variety), and I don't think I got more than an eighth of his health off on any one of those tries. In fairness, my prior characters all leaned heavily on magic, so maybe I just need to refit for that or build a much, MUCH larger and more involved arena to deal with it, which is something I loving hate doing.

Goddamn. I'm not good at this game, but I got my rear end whooped hard.

To-do list:

Fill out the rest of my health (the mystical 420 is evidently not enough)
Reforge all accessories for Warding
Farm mimics for another thirty hours for a philosopher's stone. Alternatively, steal one from a pre-existing character
Reforge weapons for Legendary
Try not to die
Die

Here's the thing that makes building an arena for the Destroyer a lot easier: the lasers don't go through blocks. Make a reasonably wide (maybe half a screen) covered area off the ground, perhaps adda few layers of platforms for more vertical mobility, then add heart lams and fires and you're done.

To actually fight in this arena you should rely on magic or melee, as crystal shots from a minishark probably won't get past its defense. Melee though will get you multiple sections per swing/stab and magic has a variety of uses. The drones also tend to wander into your shelter one or two at a time to get murdered and drop hearts, which can help. Just try not to stay in contact with the Destroyer's body and this arena/strat should carry you through the fight.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Also keep in mind: The Destroyer is immune to ichor, so the flask is useless.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Qylvaran posted:

Also keep in mind: The Destroyer is immune to ichor, so the flask is useless.

...yeah, alright, that doesn't help then. I didn't even notice, I was dying too quickly.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

...yeah, alright, that doesn't help then. I didn't even notice, I was dying too quickly.

It used to be affected by ichor, which was why the Golden Shower was such a win button for that fight, but that weakness was removed, along with any other possible way to easily kill the hardmode bosses. Magic is definitely the way to go in general for the hardmode bosses; you don't want to be right up in their faces. Maybe ranged too, but I've never really used the guns so I dunno how well they actually work.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Main Paineframe posted:

Maybe ranged too, but I've never really used the guns so I dunno how well they actually work.

Guns are fantastic for hardmode bosses, but the while the Clockwork AR is strong enough for the new enemies, it has the unfortunate side effect of being hugely bugged so if you're using any kind of ammo more special than Silver Bullets, the effects won't proc and half your shots will just clip harmlessly through the enemies.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
From experience, I can say the Uzi is fantastic, the Minishark is okay (though it seems a lot less effective for getting the mechboss kills needed now), the Megashark, once acquired, can easily be your main weapon until you start getting endgame magic equipment, and the bows all suck. The only possible exception is the one the travelling salesman sells now, and even that seems to be more of a utility weapon than something you would try using on the bosses.

Unless it's been changed up, Demon Scythe is possibly the best magical spell you can have until you start collecting the endgame set of magic, and outclasses even many early hardmode options.

As it stands, I don't feel like grinding through the game a third time (why yes I would like to blow an entire hour setting up an arena that's only really optimized for one boss sure, certainly, right), especially when it looks like they just keep narrowing down your viable options for the bosses over time, and I don't really feel like doing the multiplayer just for that either. I haven't even bothered taking a serious crack at Fishron yet; even using the best possible gear available and the Blizzard staff, I only got him down to about half health on my last attempt, and I wouldn't be surprised if he got buffed. Are all of the bosses immune to the ichor effect now?

I still really want to like this game, but I'm just not that attracted to arena-building; I got burnt out on it pretty quickly.

E: And the Clockwork AR is an excellent gun for early hardmode, yes. I'm pretty sure one of my runs used it to beat the Twins, at the very least. That does require some luck with the WoF, but what drops in this game don't?

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 25, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The best early late normal to early hardmode spell is the one Skeletron drops but gently caress making a zillion worlds trying to get it.

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

The best early late normal to early hardmode spell is the one Skeletron drops but gently caress making a zillion worlds trying to get it.

You can just use the clothier voodoo doll to murder him every night, don't need to remake.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Those things are so impossibly rare that it's faster to just make a bunch of worlds.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I haven't played in a while, but any kind of wings + any gun helps greatly with the hardmode bosses. Instead of building arenas I just run over the world firing at their general direction while they give chase, never gave me much trouble. The destroyer is different since you can't run around while fighting him, but I last played when you could still harm him with a spear weapon and do lots of damage.

Plantera isn't that hard if you fight in an adequately sized cave, with the same method; just run away constantly.

I wish there was a method to make melee viable against most bosses but their patterns/damage just don't lend to it.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Even with the clothier voodoo doll you can only defeat one Skeletron per night as the clothier won't respawn til morning. I'm pretty sure it's way faster to just make new worlds and farm Skeletron that way.

A pretty common problem I've noticed is that some of the bosses' useful drops are way too rare. Like, I understand making the vanity item drops a rare little prize but I had to kill over a hundred Queen Bees before I got Honeyed Goggles, I can't even imagine farming for it without end-game gear and an unlimited supply of abeeminations.

Too bad by that time the Honeyed Goggles were practically useless to me because of wings.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Now I feel kind of bad because this is the one game I'm almost always insanely lucky with drops on, but I don't play it very much because of my issues with the core gameplay (and not being very good on top of that). I got a slime staff by accident on both of my first two characters, I got Demon Scythe on my first trip to Hell, I got the Reaver Shark pick in about a minute of fishing on my current character...and if you mean that skull spell from Skeletron? I actually thought it was like a %50 or better drop, I've gotten it nearly every time I've fought him but never used it because I'd always already had some other improbably rare thing that seemed better. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's 1 in 7, so it's not too hard to get by boss drop standards, just annoying. Also one of the later 1.2.x patches nerfed the poo poo out of it so it's not worth it any more. loving Redigit killing everything fun.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 26, 2014

• Locked thread