Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Clark Gregg says there will be new exclusive footage shown during Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. on Tuesday.

Irish Joe posted:

Captain Marvel a blonde. Skye is a brunette. It doesn't fit.

Are there are brunette superheroes? A Captain Bland, maybe?

Mockingbird is a blonde. But in the show, she's a brunette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Phylodox posted:

I don't think he meant everyone everyone, just everyone in SHIELD.

The vibe I got was that he did mean everyone everyone. YMMV.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kheldarn posted:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

Clark Gregg says there will be new exclusive footage shown during Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. on Tuesday.

She's actually changing her hair back to blonde! :flashfact:

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

Maybe she is Spider-woman as a gently caress you to Sony.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm so happy that hair color is so important to people that watch superhero shows, it's time people got their priorities in order.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

She's actually changing her hair back to blonde! :flashfact:

Ah, neat. Maybe Trainspotting will be happy(-ish?) when it goes back to blonde...

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Deadpool posted:

I'm so happy that hair color is so important to people that watch superhero shows, it's time people got their priorities in order.

It's as important as any other part of their general look, like their costume design or general build. Which is to say, not that important, but not meaningless either. Like, Alexander Skarsgård would be a weird choice to play Peter Parker and Adrianne Palicki would be a weird choice for She Hulk.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Deadpool posted:

That was Irish Joe though

EDIT: Nevermind, XboxPants made a serious post about it

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Deadpool posted:

I just want at some point for her to be wearing those Edge and Christian glasses.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Gynovore posted:

So... um... what's the deal with HYDRA? I've been assuming up until now, their plan was to infiltrate every major agency, get all the science, and take over the world somehow. But now, Dad says "Hey let's use the Diviner to kill everyone, mmmmkay?" and Whitehall gets a boner. WTF?

Sure, in Winter Soldier, HYDRA was intending to kill 20 million or so, but that's still a drop in the bucket compared to everyone.

Moster Dad probably does mean everyone. Whitehall's probably thinking "okay, let's humor the nutter until he shows me how it works, then we'll cap him and use it to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!"

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Any thoughts that they might do some sort of a tie-in with what's going to happen with the new Avengers movie? Season 1 being infiltrated by Hydra was pretty consistent with the Captain America movie.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Cardboard Box A posted:

That was Irish Joe though

EDIT: Nevermind, XboxPants made a serious post about it

Don't get me wrong, loyalty to the source or whatever is silly, and Character Hairstyle is a really dumb nit to pick. There'd be nothing wrong with a brunette Captain Marvel. But it seems like people are arguing that character design is meaningless, and that's not the case. The way a character looks plays into how a viewer perceives them.

The new Flash show does this well - Barry would have looked like a total douche if they made him blonde, like that smug blonde detective. Great choice there. On the other hand, Captain America's "blonde hair, blue eyes" plays into his whole "American as apple pie" vibe.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

Windows 98 posted:

Any thoughts that they might do some sort of a tie-in with what's going to happen with the new Avengers movie? Season 1 being infiltrated by Hydra was pretty consistent with the Captain America movie.

Avengers 2 is going to happen at the very end or after the end of season 2, but it's going to involve an AI that was meant to be a peace keeping replacement for SHIELD/superheros that goes rogue and tries to destroy humanity, and will probably be pretty close to successful considering it will be summer movie blockbuster stakes, so yeah I would guess they will touch on it for at least an episode or two.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Deadpool posted:

You should read the Flash thread - some guy over there just wrote an essay over the fact one of the defining character traits of Barry Allen is that he is a blonde and the fact that they cast a guy with brown hair is dumb.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

Mr Beens posted:

You should read the Flash thread - some guy over there just wrote an essay over the fact one of the defining character traits of Barry Allen is that he is a blonde and the fact that they cast a guy with brown hair is dumb.

That's got to be a prime example of either :goonsay: or :spergin:... or both! Can you dig it up for me?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

tastychicken posted:

That's got to be a prime example of either :goonsay: or :spergin:... or both! Can you dig it up for me?

Here it is, in its entirety:

Wolvorine posted:

I see this point come up a lot, and it's a huge pet peeve of mine. Why can't Flash have dark hair, why can't Superman be black, etc. The reason, for me at least, is a simple matter of Character Fidelity. It's not that they are Important Things (well some can be, relatively, depends on how much you're changing a character), it's that the character is the character, and I feel that when dealing with a character that has established qualities, one should respect them enough not to treat them as expendable without very good reason.

It may seem silly that a brunette Barry Allen is Wrong Barry Allen to me, or that Wally West should be a white redhead, or whatever. And maybe it kind of is, but it's not only an issue of 'Why isn't Barry blonde?", it's a larger issue of 'If you're going to do the character, why not do them faithfully, else why did you use that character?".

In this case... it's so damned simple to just blonde his hair a bit, it's a trivial effort to make. But for anyone familiar with Barry Allen in comics, for that tiny, trivial little effort what you get is a TV Barry Allen who looks just a little more familiar as that character. And like I said in my last post, even that would be a lot easier to ignore if they didn't have this other actor there who does look a damned lot like comics Barry.

*shrugs* It's all just a matter of Character Fidelity IMHO. Respect the property if you're going to be using it; not just the biggest, most obvious aspects of it.

[[EDIT: It may also help to note that IP matters are a huge deal in what I do, so it's an issue that is important to me for practical reasons as well as personal opinion-based reasons.]]

CHARACTER FIDELITY: IT'S ABOUT RESPECT :colbert:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Beens posted:

That along with the post here is exactly why I said that.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

Phylodox posted:

Here it is, in its entirety:

CHARACTER FIDELITY: IT'S ABOUT RESPECT :colbert:

Thank you! :eyepop: That text though... it's something different!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Kind of disappointed that Tainspotting's ex didn't turn out to literally be a she-devil. :negative:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hot Dayuuumm!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

At least the suit doesn't have heels.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I really hope that was a planned goal in the costume design, I'm guessing though that there are no heels because Adrianne Palicki is already really tall.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

WarLocke posted:

Kind of disappointed that Tainspotting's ex didn't turn out to literally be a she-devil. :negative:

Shoulda been Patsy Walker. For shame, Marvel.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm mad at that promotional photo because I can only see her boobs and not her butt. Superheroines are supposed to show both at once, even if they have to contort their body to impossible angles.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jng2058 posted:

Moster Dad probably does mean everyone. Whitehall's probably thinking "okay, let's humor the nutter until he shows me how it works, then we'll cap him and use it to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!"

Am I the only one that things Skye's dad is totally channeling Heisenberg non-stop? For a brief moment, I thought they'd hired Bryan Cranston before I was like "Holy poo poo!" and recognize the actual actor. Still I don't know, just something about the way he acts/talks, this is like "What if Walter White's alter ego was an alien criminal doctor?"

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Probably. Breaking Bad ended, it's ok. You can let go.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

WarLocke posted:

I love that after all the build up it turns out that he's the psycho in the relationship.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
How mad did comic book nerds get when Samuel L Jackson was cast as Nick Fury?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mymla posted:

Somewhere between Kingpin mad and Heimdal mad.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Mymla posted:

I can't imagine too mad since he was used as the inspiration for Ultimates Nick Fury, and as a result, had a contract saying he would play Nick in any film adaptations IIRC.

Also, Heimdall's movie design is superior to most of his comic designs.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Not mad at all, cause Ultimate Nick Fury was designed to look like Sammy J.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

I was angrier at Ultimate Nick Fury looking like Samuel L Jackson than I was at Samuel L Jackson playing Nick Fury because Mark Millar is a hacky piece of poo poo and Samuel L Jackson is awesome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Irish Joe posted:

There's lots of redheads. If I was more spergy, I'd make a list of all the redheads vs blonds in Marvel, but i'm not.

achillesforever6 posted:

I just want at some point for her to be wearing those Edge and Christian glasses.

I'm hoping she pulls them out in a "this poo poo just got real" moment.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

JT Smiley posted:

I love that after all the build up it turns out that he's the psycho in the relationship.

To be fair we haven't seen much of Mockingbird yet and she played the Hydra ball-buster really well, so it could well be that they're both the psycho in the relationship.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

greatn posted:

I assure you that many people did not know this and were upset.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Soylentbits posted:

I assure you that many people did not know this and were upset.

Yeah, my father-in-law was a little annoyed because MCU Fury didn't look like the Nick Fury he grew up reading in "Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos" comics, but all you have to do is ask whether he'd prefer to see another David Hasslehoff joint and he shuts right up.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Tom Selleck would have been an amazing Nick Fury.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tom Selleck's moustache would have played Fury. Selleck just gets dragged along for the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Deadpool posted:

For the Hellblazer/Constantine movie, they replaced a redheaded brit with Keanu Reeves, and that turned out just...

Ok. Bad example.

• Locked thread