Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
My vote is Area 51 Roswell type stuff next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

People actually say this? What the gently caress is wrong with them?

Oh my God so many people do. So many goddamn people. I think it's because of all the "we're witches, bitches!" backstabby mean-girl stuff. People love that type of thing.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Coven is the only full season my mom has seen and she loved it. She's watching Freak Show now but doesn't seem quite as enthused.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I know this show isn't to be taken seriously but one thing that gets me is why strong men are even in freak shows. Of all the body abnormalities this seems the easiest to hide along with mysticism.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Dugong posted:

I know this show isn't to be taken seriously but one thing that gets me is why strong men are even in freak shows. Of all the body abnormalities this seems the easiest to hide along with mysticism.

He's probably carnie folk and doesn't know any other way to live. I assume that's why most strong men and human blockheads, etc stayed in the freak show circuit.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Feats of strength seem more like a circus act, but they go hand in hand with freak shows.

I knew Esmeralda would simply use cold reading (which is what "psychics" even today use,) to tell Elsa what she already wanted to hear, with a bunch of vague details given the surroundings that could conceivably come true. A man wearing a certain colored suit or something like that, you're bound to see that eventually. Seems like a specific detail, but if you're actually looking for it, it's easy to find.

She is a con artist after all, so she has to be somewhat intuitive on the spot. Although her partner doesn't seem to quite as useful (by which I mean, not at all,) and trying to pass off a baby sasquatch instead of just faking a believable human anomaly was dumb.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Has anyone else noticed that all the sinister background sound effects wouldn't be out of place in an Area 51/space/alien setting? They're creepy and effective, but not very circus/freakshowy at all.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Pretty sure the reason Esmeralda was rambling about the man is so that her boss can go in and pretend to be the man for Elsa.
I wish Ma Petite and Amazon Eve just last through the season because I'm finding all the characters to be terrible people and it's making me hard to be care if anyone of them die.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

8 episodes into Coven and I am still kind of enjoying it. I mean it's by far the weakest season. And it is absolutely ridiculous (Minotaur loving, chainsawing zombies, Frankentate, etc). But I kind of take the level of ridiculous as camp and try to enjoy it for what it is. This is not a hard hitting drama, this is a show that tries to smash every single conceivable horror trope or reference into each episode. Kind of like Van Helsing from 2004. I loved that movie. I know it's a steaming pile of poo poo plot wise but it's so campy and fun seeing all of the different ideas they can fenangle into it. It's actually making me appreciate Freak Show a little more too. I am definitely the minority here but I am kind of hoping they continue on doing absurd plots. Why not? Right?

Oh yeah because :goonsay:

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
The fortune telling worked because Elsa Mars is a slightly crazy woman, high on opium. She's delusional when it comes to her career, so anyone telling her what she wants to hear is going to have an easy time of it.

TheIndividual posted:

Yeah, seal guy is really a standout. That's another thing that bothers me, though, is that it goes to all this effort to say "freaks are real people too!" and goes so far as to hire real people with physical disabilities as actors, and then... they're just the background cast. Most of them have shown they can act (minus the littlest girl, who I can't understand a word of), but the only ones that have plots are the normal people with prosthetics. It's kind of annoying.

Most of them aren't actors, "Legless Suzi" and the smallest woman have never acted in anything before. Amazon Eve is apparently mostly a model. The guy with the arms is actually a professional actor with a lot of experience: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mat_Fraser

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Windows 98 posted:

Man, aliens would be nice. We already had a bit of them in Asylum, but that plotline kind of went nowhere and an extraterrestrial-centric season would be great.

The only thing is I don't know what I want to hope for more-- Area 51-type government conspiracy stuff, or some kind of weird west period thing. Roswell 1890, when the town's going through a growth spurt and attracting all sorts of people from other places in the area.. along with aliens/demons/whatever else they want to throw in, as usual. Probably a serial killer with some sort of interesting gimmick to put in the promos.

I just really want an AHS western, you guys. I don't even care how dumb that sounds. (Failing that, Area 51 coverups/conspiracy/mysterious-men-in-black stuff would rock. This is officially me getting my hopes up.)

SomethingLiz
Jan 23, 2009

Periodiko posted:

Most of them aren't actors, "Legless Suzi" and the smallest woman have never acted in anything before. Amazon Eve is apparently mostly a model. The guy with the arms is actually a professional actor with a lot of experience: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mat_Fraser

Wow, I would have put money on the arm guy being prosthetics or CG. I had to double check on Pepper after reading your post, but apparently she's actually a pretty attractive woman: http://americanhorrorstory.wikia.com/wiki/Naomi_Grossman. I guess that makes sense since she's a carryover from the previous season.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Windows 98 posted:

8 episodes into Coven and I am still kind of enjoying it. I mean it's by far the weakest season. And it is absolutely ridiculous (Minotaur loving, chainsawing zombies, Frankentate, etc). But I kind of take the level of ridiculous as camp and try to enjoy it for what it is. This is not a hard hitting drama, this is a show that tries to smash every single conceivable horror trope or reference into each episode. Kind of like Van Helsing from 2004. I loved that movie. I know it's a steaming pile of poo poo plot wise but it's so campy and fun seeing all of the different ideas they can fenangle into it. It's actually making me appreciate Freak Show a little more too. I am definitely the minority here but I am kind of hoping they continue on doing absurd plots. Why not? Right?

Oh yeah because :goonsay:

The problem with Coven isn't that it's just light and campy, it's that NOTHING will ever add up, amount to anything, or be even remotely consistent. The "campy" excuse actually pisses me off.

Evil Dead was campy. It wasn't inconsistent.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Periodiko posted:

The fortune telling worked because Elsa Mars is a slightly crazy woman, high on opium. She's delusional when it comes to her career, so anyone telling her what she wants to hear is going to have an easy time of it.

What the hell, he's 52???

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Just speculation and further expanding on the Area 51 theory for next season. I believe that it was confirmed Pepper from the Asyulm (but before she was sent there). What are the odds you think they would use her story to tie in Asylum and also tie in the aliens from season 2 into the Area 51 setting seeing how she has a relation to aliens. It would give seasons 2,4,5 all some sort of continuity.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Windows 98 posted:

Just speculation and further expanding on the Area 51 theory for next season. I believe that it was confirmed Pepper from the Asyulm (but before she was sent there). What are the odds you think they would use her story to tie in Asylum and also tie in the aliens from season 2 into the Area 51 setting seeing how she has a relation to aliens. It would give seasons 2,4,5 all some sort of continuity.

Maybe she's just supposed to be one of the clues pointing to next season's theme being aliens.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Parasol Prophet posted:

I just really want an AHS western, you guys. I don't even care how dumb that sounds. (Failing that, Area 51 coverups/conspiracy/mysterious-men-in-black stuff would rock. This is officially me getting my hopes up.)

I have my fingers crossed for a Civil War season, but I doubt they'd commit to a period piece like that.

My friend liked Coven and had tons of problems with Asylum. I swear sometimes he tells me poo poo like that to drive me crazy.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

DarklyDreaming posted:

Live freak birth :stare:

This was a horrifying moment. Like, easily the worst thing I've seen on AHS.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Windows 98 posted:

8 episodes into Coven and I am still kind of enjoying it. I mean it's by far the weakest season. And it is absolutely ridiculous (Minotaur loving, chainsawing zombies, Frankentate, etc). But I kind of take the level of ridiculous as camp and try to enjoy it for what it is. This is not a hard hitting drama, this is a show that tries to smash every single conceivable horror trope or reference into each episode.

It really does get awful after a while though. There's only so much "camp" you can take before you realize that every action every character does is meaningless and no matter how great the acting is and how fun Myrtle is, nothing matters. This made the last few episodes of Coven absolutely painful to get through for me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Windows 98 posted:

My first reaction was "well they couldn't do Area 51/Roswell stuff because they're doing 1950s stuff this season and Area 51/Roswell stuff is really tied to a 1940s-50s millieu" but then I thought "It'd be really cool if they set that concept in the 1980s and a lot of the concept was tied into a cast who basically inherited all the weird alien poo poo from their fathers in the 40s and 50s and have to deal with being the first stewards towards a realm of weird that no one fully understands how to deal with."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

My first reaction was "well they couldn't do Area 51/Roswell stuff because they're doing 1950s stuff this season and Area 51/Roswell stuff is really tied to a 1940s-50s millieu" but then I thought "It'd be really cool if they set that concept in the 1980s and a lot of the concept was tied into a cast who basically inherited all the weird alien poo poo from their fathers in the 40s and 50s and have to deal with being the first stewards towards a realm of weird that no one fully understands how to deal with."

This made my mind immediately jump to the idea of AHS doing "Fire in the Sky" as a season. Then I realized Kit was pretty close to that and will probably be the main reason an Alien theme won't be used.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think if they do kill a freak this week it'll probably be Angela Bassett's character. She hasn't really done all that much but killing her would still bring about a good amount of conflict.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Captain Mog posted:

Oh my God so many people do. So many goddamn people. I think it's because of all the "we're witches, bitches!" backstabby mean-girl stuff. People love that type of thing.

I was one of those people. It dragged a bit but it was a nice break for the gore fest that happened in previous seasons. I really liked Asylum up until a point; I really didn't like the whole alien baby arc going on. Maybe I'll give it another go though since it gets so much praise itt.

This season though has proved to be entertaining for me, at least. I'm curious to see what the story is with the clown-version of Elsa from the first episode - I wonder if this is the woman the fortune teller alluded to and I wanna know more. I also saw some screen caps of Dandy wearing Twisty's mask. The new episode needs to air already!

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

I'm not sure what's wrong with me. I really like the world they've created but I'm just not into the show. Boo on me.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Stephen Spielberg did a mini series about this already. It's called Taken iirc.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I was really hoping they wouldn't introduce the supernatural into this season and really dig into some commentary about "who is really the freak, man!" but hahaha it's American Horror Story what the gently caress was I thinking.

Look, moments after a spooooky legend about some ghost is told the exact thing that needs to happen to summon him happens and it turns out HE'S REAL :spooky:

That's both scary and good story telling, right?

(I'm actually enjoying this season so far other than this)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Koalas March posted:

Stephen Spielberg did a mini series about this already. It's called Taken iirc.

Is it any good?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Edmund Lava posted:

He's probably carnie folk and doesn't know any other way to live. I assume that's why most strong men and human blockheads, etc stayed in the freak show circuit.

It was a little goofy in the context of them being so totally penniless and desperate that they had to show off a life freak birth (which, judging by the crowd, made them like 1 dollar). I mean he's just a strong dude and she could just...shave. The'y look like perfectly normal people and they could have gotten jobs. It's not like you needed a degree to find menial work in the 30s / 40s.

So far it's much better than Coven, but S1 and 2 are gonna be tough to beat.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It was a little goofy in the context of them being so totally penniless and desperate that they had to show off a life freak birth (which, judging by the crowd, made them like 1 dollar). I mean he's just a strong dude and she could just...shave. The'y look like perfectly normal people and they could have gotten jobs. It's not like you needed a degree to find menial work in the 30s / 40s.

Menial work in the 30's was a terrible place to end up, though, especially after being a vaudeville star. And it would be the early 30's, given the year it's set and the rough age of Evan Peters' character. I mean, realize you're saying "they could have gotten jobs" during The Great Depression.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Tired Moritz posted:

I wish Ma Petite and Amazon Eve just last through the season because I'm finding all the characters to be terrible people and it's making me hard to be care if anyone of them die.

God, this. Them and British dude are my favorite characters this season.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Tired Moritz posted:

Pretty sure the reason Esmeralda was rambling about the man is so that her boss can go in and pretend to be the man for Elsa.

Ma Petite was getting like dissolved in a jar during the preview for the season after episode 1, so I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Power of Pecota posted:

Ma Petite was getting like dissolved in a jar during the preview for the season after episode 1, so I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.

You gotta link? That's just evil.

E: nevermind :smith:

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 28, 2014

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Power of Pecota posted:

:stare:
You're a horrible human being
I mean, I know it's not your fault but I need to place the blame somewhere. So i really hope you have strong shoulders.

ugh why the gently caress did I need to go and find that poo poo.

MadSparkle fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 29, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Periodiko posted:

Menial work in the 30's was a terrible place to end up, though, especially after being a vaudeville star. And it would be the early 30's, given the year it's set and the rough age of Evan Peters' character. I mean, realize you're saying "they could have gotten jobs" during The Great Depression.

I imagine menial work was probably preferable to turning their son's birth into a live spectacle, at the very least. Not saying it would have been easy or anything, it's just a little harder to have the sob story stick a landing when you look around and everyone else has lobster hands and no legs and such. It was a rough life then whether you were deformed or not, but those two probably had the best prospects of anyone in this show.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Is it any good?

I enjoyed it. It has a pretty random cast and it was neat to follow characters through the generations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tonight on American Horror Story: "Edward Mordrake, Pt 2"

Edward Mordrake continues his search for a freak to add to his ghostly coterie; Elsa tells the grisly story of her days in Germany; Jimmy and Maggie have a run-in with the twisted clown.

Also, Ryan Murphy (re)tweeted the following, which I guess means that Coven didn't really sour that many people on the show outside this thread:

quote:

The audience for the debut ep of American Horror Story: Freak Show has grown to 15 million viewers. #1-ranked telecast in FX history.

Wallwhacker
May 21, 2003

Something wicked this way comes....

mind the walrus posted:

Is it any good?

It's pretty good actually.. it has Dakota Fanning as a little kid and she was REALLY good. If you can find it somewhere, it really is a good series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Neil Patrick Harris and his husband are gonna be on the last couple episodes.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
I also remember liking Taken. It was a long rear end time ago that I saw it - I remember liking the beginning episodes more than the later ones though. I think Heather Donahue's character kind of got on my nerves since she was in the later episodes, and that maybe why I got slightly soured on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

WOOOT

I remember him saying thanks to Hedwig he'd been away from hubby for too long so no AHS, so I guess he said 'gently caress it, do it with me'

• Locked thread