Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There's a special status that blocks all incoming messages. It's called "Exit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Don't derail our complaining about talking to users with logic.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Well I can add some complaining of my own re: Lync.. My offsite boss complains if I'm not signed in to lync at all times. If I'm offline when I should be at work he'll call me up and ask where I am.

Just send an email damnit. :mad:

edit: I set myself offline so I can get work done without people messaging me every 5 minutes.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 24, 2014

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Looking forward to our Lync rollout that's coming soon SO MUCH.

Although we use OCS now and for the most part, people are polite and use it properly, soooo...

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

topenga posted:

Jesus Christ! You IT people can find ANYTHING! :D
Google proficiency comes with the job is all you need to do the job :ninja:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm bringing the company I work for kicking and screaming out of the break-fix mentality and into more MSP style services. With that in mind, I'm getting a quote on Labtech. Anyone that has experience with Labtech or any of it's competitors have any suggestions for me, or any pitfalls I should watch out for?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Collateral Damage posted:

Well I can add some complaining of my own re: Lync.. My offsite boss complains if I'm not signed in to lync at all times. If I'm offline when I should be at work he'll call me up and ask where I am.

Just send an email damnit. :mad:

edit: I set myself offline so I can get work done without people messaging me every 5 minutes.

You can use Do Not Disturb.

Still, I'm a bit sad that my favorite client switched to Lync 2013 from Spark.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Still refusing to use Lync over here because it's such a POS.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Cisco has convinced my boss to switch us from Lync 2010 to Jabber.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GreenNight posted:

Cisco has convinced my boss to switch us from Lync 2010 to Jabber.

We just started using jabber... seems solid so far although I don't admin it or do anything outside of use it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MF_James posted:

We just started using jabber... seems solid so far although I don't admin it or do anything outside of use it.

With what client(s)?

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
Jabber is pretty good, it replaced both Lync and IP Communicator for us

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

Collateral Damage posted:

set myself offline so I can get work done without people messaging me every 5 minutes

Schedule yourself some 1-person meetings, that's how my manager gets any non-meeting time in.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Jabber is pretty rock solid compared to the abomination that is lync 2013 mobile.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
OK :yotj: I am leaving running crisis for a very large operating systems vendor that one or two of you may have heard of, and joining a large maker of network load balancing equipment which you are less likely to have heard of. I am very happy as this will put the word engineer at the end of my name and these guys are purportedly very nice to their employees.

I will not be working on their server racks and will not be anywhere near their DC power infrastructure for what it's worth.

edit: that last line makes no sense here, meant to post this in the "More poo poo that pisses you off" thread. Whoops.

JosephSkunk fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 25, 2014

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

BigPaddy posted:

The problem with lync is it allows people to talk to me when I am busy. disconnects VDI thinclients when you use Attendant Mode Response Groups

My hell.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
We have a google corporate account, so Gmail is our email client, docs, drive, etc. This also means we use google hangouts.

It works fine, except that when you want to contact Bob Smith, and search for him, a bunch of internet randoms also appear, so you have to be very careful when inviting someone into a conversation. You can't even uninvite them, you just have to abandon the hangout.

Thanks google!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BigPaddy posted:

The problem with lync is it allows people to talk to me when I am busy.

That's what the DnD status is for. It's basically a big gently caress off to anyone who wants to IM me.(I *think* users are prompted with a "are you *sure* you want to bug him? He does have DnD on...") I set that regularly when I'm doing project work, design reviews, etc. and it works fairly well. Every now and then, however:

quote:

:v:Hey
:v:You there?
:v:I have a question

:mad:I'm very busy. Please send an email with your question. I'll get to it when I can

:v:This will only take a second.

:mad:Send an email

:v:So anyway, I was wondering if the turboencabulator will do X.

:v:I mean I *know* the documentation says it will do X

:v:But I wasn't sure

:v:So even though it says it will do X, does it in fact do X?
:v:You there?

:argh:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
We're using Trillian internally, because why the hell not.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

flosofl posted:

That's what the DnD status is for. It's basically a big gently caress off to anyone who wants to IM me.(I *think* users are prompted with a "are you *sure* you want to bug him? He does have DnD on...")

If so, there must be some sort of setting option. When I message some dipshit with DnD set, it tells me I can't. It's fine if the recipient wants to ignore me, but don't refuse to put my message though lync!

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

JohnnyCanuck posted:

We're using Trillian internally, because why the hell not.

AIM, client at the user's preference. At least I don't have to do anything to it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
CTO sent an *URGENT* email out requesting a new laptop ASAP.

Poor 15" RMBP. Not even Apple Care can save you.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

We have an xmpp server locally and nobody has any complaints, but we just started using slack and are really digging it. And I just noticed that I'm basically parroting their marketing copy, but it's not bad. To be honest, I think we're just using it because it inlines gifs, but I'm ok with that.

good jovi fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 25, 2014

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

baquerd posted:

If so, there must be some sort of setting option. When I message some dipshit with DnD set, it tells me I can't. It's fine if the recipient wants to ignore me, but don't refuse to put my message though lync!

Honestly, I'm not sure if it's a client or server side setting. I'll have to dig around and see if I can figure it out, because I honestly want these little distractions to stop.

I can understand getting frustrated if it's a user that's abusing DnD by having it on all the time or if they are an escalation point, but seriously when I don't want to be disturbed its for a reason. Short of a fire or natural disaster, there's literally no issue that can't wait for the 30-60 mins I want for some uninterrupted time to work. And I think in those cases I'll figure it out from the people running by my desk burning and screaming.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

good jovi posted:

We have an xmpp server locally and nobody has any complaints, but we just started using slack and are really digging it. And I just noticed that I'm basically parroting their marketing copy, but it's not bad. To be honest, I think we're just using it because it inlines gifs, but I'm ok with that.

Slack owns, we run it and people can connect with IRC or XMPP clients. We also run a big internal jabber server but honestly the fact that all history is stored and is searchable owns bones.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

luminalflux posted:

Slack owns, we run it and people can connect with IRC or XMPP clients. We also run a big internal jabber server but honestly the fact that all history is stored and is searchable owns bones.

While I rather we spun our own jabber server, I will say that Lync's *one* saving grace is that conversations are autosaved by participant into the Conversations folder on Exchange and are indexed and searchable. It's great when you need to deal with those "But I never said that!" excuses.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Hadn't used Lync until this new job. Every time I get a message in it Powershell ISE flashes white. I don't really know what to blame in the Lync / Dell / Windows 8.1 trifecta of horror.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

JosephSkunk posted:

OK :yotj: I am leaving running crisis for a very large operating systems vendor that one or two of you may have heard of, and joining a large maker of network load balancing equipment which you are less likely to have heard of. I am very happy as this will put the word engineer at the end of my name and these guys are purportedly very nice to their employees.

I will not be working on their server racks and will not be anywhere near their DC power infrastructure for what it's worth.

edit: that last line makes no sense here, meant to post this in the "More poo poo that pisses you off" thread. Whoops.

Going to F5?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

flosofl posted:

That's what the DnD status is for. It's basically a big gently caress off to anyone who wants to IM me.(I *think* users are prompted with a "are you *sure* you want to bug him? He does have DnD on...") I set that regularly when I'm doing project work, design reviews, etc. and it works fairly well. Every now and then, however:

Flosofl, come in and shut the door please. Have a seat.

It's come to my attention that you are telling people that you're busy and to send you an email when they come to you with a problem. Certain people are feeling like you are telling them to jump into a vat of boiling acid.

We here are a "customer-focused" department. The end-users are our customers. That means if an end user comes to you with a problem, you need to fix it for them. No, don't tell me that you were working on a problem for the CEO, the assistant forklift driver in our warehouse had a problem and you need to drop what you're doing and fix problems when they come up. Existing problems don't matter when there's a new problem to think about. No, I'm not going to hold your hand, EVERY issue is top priority. Figure it out.

I'm sure we won't need to have this talk again, but I'll make sure to bring it up in a year and a half when you want a bare cost of living raise.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Agreeing that Cisco Jabber was surprisingly painless to install and doesn't really need much attention. It Just Works.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

The Fool posted:

I'm bringing the company I work for kicking and screaming out of the break-fix mentality and into more MSP style services. With that in mind, I'm getting a quote on Labtech. Anyone that has experience with Labtech or any of it's competitors have any suggestions for me, or any pitfalls I should watch out for?

We use LabTech at my new shop and it's pretty slick. There are LabTech trainings and certs you can get and I recommend going through at least the LTCP course as it gives a pretty solid overview of how to use the system. Being able to auto-install agents is really handy, as is its scripting ability. We have a coder who is still finding new things to do in it, such as replicate the entire Group Policy system so we can just drop our "standard" GPOs on a new client as part of the onboarding process.

As for first install I couldn't tell you, but I know we're moving away from our hosted solution to one that's in-house; we're up around 1000 agents now and the existing box is starting to churn too sluggishly for our tastes.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Does anyone use "Dell OpenManage Printer Manager"? It seems like a good* way to at least get some facts about printers in our organization, of which like 98% (a number I pulled out of my rear end) are Dell anyway even though their site talks about a "multivendor network printer fleet"

This sounds pretty cool:

Use Dell OpenManage Printer Manager to:

Locate printers that have errors and identify problems, enabling IT to take the appropriate actions to remedy the situation
Alert you via email notifications when a printer needs attention
Remotely monitor toner and paper-in-tray status on most printer models
Group multiple printers with similar setups together for easy upgrades of all the printers in the group

Our current solution is nothing, so keep that in mind.

*like anything dealing with printers could ever be good or easy or useful

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

That sound exactly like the free software our managed printer vendor gives us. Plus it phones home to order more toner so we never have to do inventory. Just box n' go.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

good jovi posted:

We also use slack. I like dropping code in and having it format. It also does a pretty good job of syncing read states across multiple devices.

We were using Skype before, which was crashing multiple times a day. Anything that doesn't crash was good enough for me.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
I don't get the love of slack, isn't it just irc with in line images?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I keep getting contacted by recruiters for positions with the most massive set of requirements and jargon. To me this screams stay away, mostly because they are likely just trying to fill a quota (hence the catch-all list of preferred requirements). Also, they messaged me directly on Linkedin which is another red flag. Here's the message:

Our client is looking for a Director - Enterprise Information Management to join their team on a permanent hire basis.
Position Summary:
The Enterprise Information Management (EIM) Director performs a strategic task with accountability to manage data as one of the most valued assets used every day across the organization to address the decision-making requirements for the four pillars of public trust, player experience, partnership and profit.

The EIM Director is accountable to ensure that needs for enterprise information management capabilities including data governance, data quality management, master data management, data administration, data analytics and business intelligence are effectively addressed within allocated budget and in accordance with the enterprise information strategy and architecture roadmap. The EIM Director is also accountable for the management of EIM service levels expectations.
This accountability includes the day to day operations as well as the strategic advancement of data governance, data administration and data analytics/business intelligence across the company to it can improve its decision-making that is based on reliable and timely information. It also includes extension of data governance practices to manage unstructured data, and to support a comprehensive records management program as it is rolled out across the corporation.
Cheers,

So from the looks of it, some sort of SAN expert (I think?) but it's so god drat vague. That's it, no requirements or nothing. This is coming from Randstad recruiting agency which looks to have horrible reviews. When I sent him an email back asking him for more information on the company he just ignored me.

Anyone have experience actually taking a job like this via a recruiter?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

baquerd posted:

... I dunno.. lync usually has a habit of not flashing and popping up behind a window on my secondary or tertiary monitor.. so i dont even see it until like 15-20 min later... I'm sure there is a setting to change that...

I'm never even going to look :ssh:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

m.hache posted:

So I keep getting contacted by recruiters for positions with the most massive set of requirements and jargon. To me this screams stay away, mostly because they are likely just trying to fill a quota (hence the catch-all list of preferred requirements). Also, they messaged me directly on Linkedin which is another red flag. Here's the message:

Our client is looking for a Director - Enterprise Information Management to join their team on a permanent hire basis.
Position Summary:
The Enterprise Information Management (EIM) Director performs a strategic task with accountability to manage data as one of the most valued assets used every day across the organization to address the decision-making requirements for the four pillars of public trust, player experience, partnership and profit.

The EIM Director is accountable to ensure that needs for enterprise information management capabilities including data governance, data quality management, master data management, data administration, data analytics and business intelligence are effectively addressed within allocated budget and in accordance with the enterprise information strategy and architecture roadmap. The EIM Director is also accountable for the management of EIM service levels expectations.
This accountability includes the day to day operations as well as the strategic advancement of data governance, data administration and data analytics/business intelligence across the company to it can improve its decision-making that is based on reliable and timely information. It also includes extension of data governance practices to manage unstructured data, and to support a comprehensive records management program as it is rolled out across the corporation.
Cheers,

So from the looks of it, some sort of SAN expert (I think?) but it's so god drat vague. That's it, no requirements or nothing. This is coming from Randstad recruiting agency which looks to have horrible reviews. When I sent him an email back asking him for more information on the company he just ignored me.

Anyone have experience actually taking a job like this via a recruiter?

That actually sounds like a VP level political position rather than a technical position.

As far as chat chat goes, we use hangouts as well, which is nice except:

1. It shows your recipient's full name, but not their email address, which stinks when there's several John Smiths or you know their corp AND personal accounts

2. Maybe it sends, maybe it doesn't, but it won't retry and you'll look like an rear end.

Still better than communicator by far.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 25, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

fluppet posted:

I don't get the love of slack, isn't it just irc with in line images?

Sounds like the perfect chat system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003

YES :v: I am so happy and I have not yet had any news that will inevitably rain on my parade

• Locked thread