Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I decided to jump into Bayo 1 first before I touch Bayo 2 and oh my god, I forgot how much I love this game. I'm really really bad at it though. :v:

Ohhooo whadda day!
Ohhooo whadda day!
Ohhooo whadda day!
Ohhooo whadda day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The bosses in Bayonetta 2 are so much better than the ones in Bayonetta 1.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Evil Eagle posted:

The bosses in Bayonetta 2 are so much better than the ones in Bayonetta 1.

This is not an empty quote.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not huge on the flying ones because it's hard to judge distances. But then I am also A Bad.

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

Just beat it. This game is nuts. The climax for the final boss is amazing on multiple levels.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Beef Waifu posted:

The second you unlock the chainsaws, put them on your feet. DON'T ASK JUST DO IT!

YO DO THIS

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I like that the Muspelheims don't ramp up into absurdity immediately like the Alfheims did in the first game. I've actually been able to complete every one I've encountered so far, unlike Bayo1 which started dropping "WIN IN FIVE KICKS!" challenges just a couple stages in.

Also Enraptured is a terrible and wonderful idea for an enemy. I don't remember the first game having anything like them.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

God. the bossfights in this game are rad as heck. The recurring lumen sage fights are all amazing.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Playing through Bayo 1 for the first time, oh my god the cutscene QTEs are the most brutal poo poo ever. The first one that showed up I was convinced the game was bugged and it was impossible to beat until like my 8th try. I max out the death counter everytime they show up.

I can't believe how much content is in this drat game, I ran my gamepad's battery out and I'm only at like chapter 5.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The QTE where you have to press Y as that tower crashes down is an rear end in a top hat because it's super finicky about specifically when you press Y.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have finished the game and it was good, but I'm disappointed there wasn't a Balder-Loptr fight ala Bayonetta 1, but I guess that's what the third Lumen Sage fight was for. This is a great game with a ton of fun poo poo and even though I have a few complaints they are outweighed by all of the pluses and it's even better than Bayo 1. I look forward to getting to play as other chars in the extra modes, as well as the Lumen Sage.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I loved everything about Chapter XIII. That was loving awesome.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Someone needs to tell me how to unlock Lumen Sage right the gently caress now.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You need to get him through tag climax. Along with a few other things.

Also holy hell baalster you beat it in a day? da fuq

Add me you big fraud NNID Dionysian

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I will add you tomorrow when I am not tired as gently caress. Also it's a goddamn crime that Moon River is used three times in this game.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
My favorite part of Bayonetta 2 is the way my USPS tracking number still says Out For Delivery eventhough its 1am the next day

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

You need to get him through tag climax. Along with a few other things.

Also holy hell baalster you beat it in a day? da fuq

Add me you big fraud NNID Dionysian

I will add you. NNID: EvilEagle.

I'm on the last chapter I think. drat this game is good.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

This game has the best mirror matches AND the some of the best massive bosses in the genre. Just knocked out the entire game in basically one sitting. I'm a loving nerd and this is everything I hoped it would be.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
The fight with the flying manta ray death demon thing, holy poo poo :stare:

Yeah even though I liked boss fights in 1, 2 really does them better.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Well this is about as amazing as I hoped.

Also glad I preordered, I phoned about five stores this morning before I remembered I'd preordered and they were all sold out. The one I had a preorder at told me they'd had every copy reserved once the reviews started coming in. They had a decent sized shipment too going by the preorder pile I saw. So it's doing well where I live at least, let's hope that's representative cause Platinum deserves to sell better than it usually does.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

After finishing the game, I kind of wish that it had a Tower to Truth analogue but aside from that I love everything. This game has so many bosses.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's been ages since I played the first game, and I never got round to beating it, but this feels like the exact same game only she has shorter hair.

It's loving great. Everything except Loki's VO and the oversaturation of Enzo at the beginning is fantastic. Shame it goes for the old '60% of cutscenes are slideshows for no particular reason' trope though. Sick of that poo poo.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Truly, it would not be Bayonetta without a Space Harrier level, huh? :v:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rocketlex posted:

I like that the Muspelheims don't ramp up into absurdity immediately like the Alfheims did in the first game. I've actually been able to complete every one I've encountered so far, unlike Bayo1 which started dropping "WIN IN FIVE KICKS!" challenges just a couple stages in.

Also Enraptured is a terrible and wonderful idea for an enemy. I don't remember the first game having anything like them.

I swear some of the alfheims were nearly impossible unless you had gear you couldn't possibly have found the first time you encountered them. The win in x number of kicks and punches ones were pretty easy with Durga, but you started seeing them before you found it. The difficulty didn't really seem linear either, just sort of random. In 2 they start off really easy but steadily scale up. They're still not hard but I'm only 1/3 of the way through so I'm guessing they get there eventually.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

The Moon Monster posted:

The win in x number of kicks and punches ones were pretty easy with Durga, but you started seeing them before you found it.

You do get Shuraba before those though. Dodge to get witch time, charge up a max-power slash, destroy everything.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man chapter 9 is a unfun slog isn't it.

The prophet fight sucks rear end because it's hard to tell what he's doing 90% of the time and the Golem before it has some of the worst hitboxes I've ever seen in a video game while in it's animal form.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Finished, the story didn't make much sense to me but it took me a while to at least partially understand the story of the first game so :v:

Overall it's been exactly the sequel I wanted and expected and got the Wii U for. Bayonetta fighting alongside her daddy was awesome !

Negatives: Jeanne was not seen for almost the entire game and doesn't do much, a shame. I expected to spend the rest of the game fighting alongside her after I saved her but nope :(. Also some of the boss fights when floating in the air seemed a little bit too wonky and difficult but that might just be me. Oh and very few uses of the awesome Moon River remix :(

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Somebody please tell me what to do with Resentment and it's bullshit you're-about-to-get-OHKOed laser which it inevitably follows up with it's bullshit OHKO attack? Nothing seems to work to not get hit by that nor does there seem to be any way to not get OHKOed by the follow up.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Beef Waifu posted:

I will add you tomorrow when I am not tired as gently caress. Also it's a goddamn crime that Moon River is used three times in this game.

I think they played Fly Me to the Moon way too many times in the first game, although I really like this version of Moon River.

Umbran Climax is exactly what this game needed, I love being able to summon more than just Madam Butterfly for finishers. It really makes Bayonetta feel as powerful as she is in cutscenes and QTEs.

What are the must have techniques in this one? The thing about some moves replacing other moves has got me spooked and I'm too poor to experiment.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Not going to lie but how DO I summon other things? Watching Chips video he summons a frog for example and I do far more then just mash punch or kick but none of the combos I do really result in anything other then variations of Fist and Heels getting called forth.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Masked Lumen spoilers: I was quite surprised by how much I liked Balder in this game, they done a good job of expanding his character from the first game

I liked that the Muspelheim's got more difficult as you went through the game but were still able to be beat when you first encounter them, unlike the Alfheim's in the first game where some of them were close to impossible if you didn't have certain weapons on your first play through.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Not going to lie but how DO I summon other things? Watching Chips video he summons a frog for example and I do far more then just mash punch or kick but none of the combos I do really result in anything other then variations of Fist and Heels getting called forth.

I'm pretty sure that each weapon has it's own summon during Umbran Climax, I always noticed it when I got a new weapon to try out.

charismaslover fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 25, 2014

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Get all the beast within stuff: bat within is the must, crow within is eh but umbran spear is nice. For me the must-haves are:

Crow within
Umbran spear
Afterburner kick/the punch version

This depends on how you play of course, but crow within is essential for extending your dodge window.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Broseph Brostar posted:

What are the must have techniques in this one? The thing about some moves replacing other moves has got me spooked and I'm too poor to experiment.

The only one that's a must have is Bat Within. Crow Within and Tetsuzanko are next. Rest is mostly for more stylish combos.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cool the game just introduced enemies that can kill you in one hit if you mess up the timing of a dodge even a little.

loving terrible. If you get turned into a kid just put the controller down.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
^^^^:Didn't the final boss do that in the first game?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Umbran Climax changes all of the finishers to screen destroying summons. Your regular attacks all be Madam Butterfly Wicked Weaves, but the last attack in a combo will be one of various summons.

quote:

I'm pretty sure that each weapon has it's own summon during Umbran Climax, I always noticed it when I got a new weapon to try out.

I know that the pistols summon different creatures for different finishers. I know I've seen the crow and the frog from the pistols, and I think I might have seen the spider. I only have the first two weapons so I'm sure there's a lot more.

Mr. Neutron posted:

The only one that's a must have is Bat Within. Crow Within and Tetsuzanko are next. Rest is mostly for more stylish combos.

Bat Within is the first thing I bought, but I don't know what it does extra since it doesn't grant more witch time like it did in 1. Does it just make the dodge window a bit longer?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I think you'll almost always gain halos in Tag Climax. I played with some Japanese Dude and lost every match except one (to be fair he was definitely farther in the game than me. I had only done up to chapter 3). Despite that I still came away with about 30000 more halos than I started with.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man chapter 9 is a unfun slog isn't it.

The prophet fight sucks rear end because it's hard to tell what he's doing 90% of the time and the Golem before it has some of the worst hitboxes I've ever seen in a video game while in it's animal form.

I got a pure platinum on both on my first try. :cool:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Cool the game just introduced enemies that can kill you in one hit if you mess up the timing of a dodge even a little.

loving terrible. If you get turned into a kid just put the controller down.

Just...run away?

Pomp fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 25, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Broseph Brostar posted:

^^^^:Didn't the final boss do that in the first game?

Umbran Climax changes all of the finishers to screen destroying summons. Your regular attacks all be Madam Butterfly Wicked Weaves, but the last attack in a combo will be one of various summons.

I know that the pistols summon different creatures for different finishers. I know I've seen the crow and the frog from the pistols, and I think I might have seen the spider. I only have the first two weapons so I'm sure there's a lot more.

Bat Within is the first thing I bought, but I don't know what it does extra since it doesn't grant more witch time like it did in 1. Does it just make the dodge window a bit longer?

Final boss could suck you into space and all you had to do was run away from the openings. This one they shoot a beam off screen that turns you into Cereza and you can no longer dodge or run or anything because they walk up to you and OHK you. They also can just initiate a QTE whenever they want to kill you or try to. I was fine with the enemy one on one but the game quickly spawned two of them and one ran off screen and due to how the camera works (to my knowledge) I'd be fighting one when a blast I had no way of knowing was being charged up would hit me, then the one I was fighting would just kill me from full health. This is unacceptable in this type of game.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Broseph Brostar posted:

Pretty much. You'll know when it helped you not get hit when you turn into the bats. You would have taken damage in that instance without Bat Within.

e; To be more clear, it makes it so you can start the dodge later than normal. Without the bat within, dodging as the hit connects still equals you getting hurt. With the bat within, dodging as the hit connects results in no damage.

Bland fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm saving up my halos to buy the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa first. I assume it is as good in this game as it was in 1.

• Locked thread