Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I think I've posted this sometime before, but once I was at a party playing Wits And Wagers and the hosting group had misunderstood the scoring rules. The winning guess (the one closest to the correct answer without going over) scores three points to the player or team who wrote that guess, in addition to paying out to anyone who bet on that guess. Well they played that only an exactly one hundred percent correct guess scores the 3 point bonus. This is insane. Some answers are so specific that they include decimal points. This effectively means that unless you know the answer, it doesn't matter what you write, only what you place your bet on.

This wouldn't matter to me expect they refused to check the rules. I'll admit I spent the rest of the game being a passive aggressive jerk any time someone was deliberating what to write, reminding them it realistically didn't matter, and writing absurdly low or high or specific numbers as my own guess. In the end I won a hollow victory. In the entire game, the winning guess bonus was paid out exactly once, to me, for a completely uneducated guess I got lucky on. I don't care if I was being a rules lawyer or "that guy", there needs to be a layer of hell specifically for people this obtuse where they sit around and play games wrong forever wondering why every game sucks.

Another fun story about Wits and Wagers, the cards have seven questions on them, and seven rounds of play. The number of cards is such that if you use question 1 on the first card, question 2 on the second card, and so forth, putting each card at the back of the deck as you go, you will go through every question once before you hit a question you've ever seen before. Clever right? Well once I brought the game to someone else's house after a dozen or so plays, some fuckerlord shuffled the deck when I wasn't looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Oftentimes such games will have numbered cards, so if it's rainy tomorrow you could sort them all again. Still sucks though.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Man 3P Space Alert isn't that bad. I mean I get that it's a clumsy workaround but it works fine enough if you have 3 players and you really want to play Space Alert.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

GrandpaPants posted:

Played Machi Koro tonight, and while it is not at all deep in the slightest, it is a fine little game. It's really solid filler, but I can see people getting burnt out on it really quickly since A) victory is mostly luck based, but in a way that is generally fine, and B) the "market" remains static until the expansion comes out. I think with the expansion, things will actually turn into more of a game.

Tried doing the market with the base game to see how it would work and IF it could work to change up the base game. It didn't, I'm not sure what all will come in the expansion to liven it up but the game seemed a little stunted trying it like that. Most people were stuck with making the decisions between one or two cards. I did like that it kept people from doing whatever they thought was the optimal strategy every game so I'm excited to see what the expansion can do to make the market seem interesting.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Played my first game of Terra Mystica expansion and it is very good. I played the Yetis which seemed to be extremely good (their main thing is being able to get the board actions for one less power and as their fortress special, they can use stuff even if it has been used already :stare:). There were also the shapeshifters, which seemed good but also appear to be extremely hard to play, especially if you don't end up near other people.

We also used the auction system (really good, would recommend it as it sorta balances the races based on scoring tiles available) and the new map, which was extremely weird when you are used to the regular one. Also we used to alternative turn sequence which is also much better than the standard one. I will definitely get my own copy because I've gotten really into the game now.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
If the rule sounds wrong and it's a Kickstarter from some publisher I've never heard of, I'm very likely to assume they just don't know how to develop games. If the rule sounds wrong and it's a Vlaada or Tom Lehmann et al design then I'm grabbing the rules. It totally depends on how much trust I have in the people that made the game.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Hopefully it's okay to post this here.

The MeepleTown staff and some of our friends are streaming 24 hours of boardgaming for the Extra Life charity. Come watch us play, hang out in the chat, and most importantly -- donate to a good cause.

Stream link: http://twitch.tv/meeplethon

Donation link: http://tinyurl.com/meeplethon

The list of games we have: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/180940

Goons, I'm calling you out! For everyone from SA who donates $5 or more via our donation link, I'll throw in another $5 of my own. Be sure to leave something about goons, SA, or stairs in your donation comment.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Played Article 27, won in 4 players and handily with 6.

The last round I was Secretary General. I had two secret objectives on the board but 3 separate people were threatening to veto. One would veto with blue; another would veto without it.
Assuming I had a slight point lead, made a slate of only the things I was bribed to put out. (This included, luckily, both my objectives + my yellow scorer).

Banged my gavel, went for the vote...

and EVERYONE approved it.

I won with a total of 63 points.

Also won the new Smashup (Giant Ants + Geeks, both factions work well and combo strongly). Got 2nd in Dragon's Gold (mostly because I was had the thieving glove; I would've won if I remembered that most of any color = 8 points. Instead someone thieved my white diamond a turn before the end of the game).

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.
Talk to me about the Big Money strategy in 7 Wonders + Cities + Leaders. I want to try a new strat, but I don't want to try to go into it blind, because I'll probably fall on my face.

I'm assuming that you pretty much need that one Leader who gives you an extra VP per 3 coins, so each card you sell is worth 2 vp total. If you play that leader, you can sell your other 23 cards, and collect 75 coins for 50 points (correct?). 50 points is a significant boost, but it's not going to win you very many games. I know that there are some cards that can be played to immediately give you more coins than you'd get for selling them; I also know that, if you build a resource early on, you have to sell that resource twice to break even and from then on it's pure profit, so if you build an early, say, Lumber Yard, you're probably going to end up with far more income from peddling your Wood than the 3 coins you would have otherwise gotten from discarding that Lumber Yard.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Big Money has a lot of prerequisites and luck involved, but for super ultra scores you want the Leader who gives 1VP/3money, then you want the Gamer's Guild for another 1VP/3money. Then you go hard into yellow cards - ideally, get yourself a couple of trading posts and snap up a forum and caravansery, then a lot of the age 2 cards that give gold based on people's cards or how many yellows you have. Extra bonus points if you combine your trading posts with the leader that gives you a gold the first time you trade each turn - to break even - and then with the Cities card that gives you a rebate the first time you trade each turn. At that point you're getting money for using other people's resources and it quickly gets extremely silly from there.

Don't throw away cards for money unless you can help it. They're almost always better put towards stuff, be it having more yellow cards for Act 2 / Act 3 gold generation, or allowing you to supplement your yellow with a bit of blue.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 25, 2014

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Anyone have good solitaire game suggestions because I am a no friend goon who wants to cut down on my staring at screens?

Already have Mage Knight which eats up a bunch of time and Galaxy Trucker if I'm ever really bored.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cerepol posted:

Anyone have good solitaire game suggestions because I am a no friend goon who wants to cut down on my staring at screens?

Already have Mage Knight which eats up a bunch of time and Galaxy Trucker if I'm ever really bored.
I really like Robinson Crusoe as a solo game. Its massive quarterbacking issues are actually a boon there. (Also, it's a genuinely great solo/co-op game that just so happens to have the worst QBing issue I've ever seen when players have different experience levels.)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Cerepol posted:

Try wargames. The COIN (counter insurgent) series are all 1p compatible. There's also apache leader and silent war which, if I didnt gently caress up the names, are solo games. Check the OP of the wargames thread. I would, but phone posting

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lord Frisk posted:

Try wargames. The COIN (counter insurgent) series are all 1p compatible. There's also apache leader and silent war which, if I didnt gently caress up the names, are solo games. Check the OP of the wargames thread. I would, but phone posting
There's also Navajo Wars, which is seriously good. I wouldn't recommend Silent War unless you are really into wargames though.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Cerepol posted:

Race for the Galaxy: the Gathering Storm has a great solitaire mode. It looks very intimidating but is not that difficult to learn, much like Race for the Galaxy in general.
I like Muses for something super quick and simple, it's not the sort of game you'd play a ton of at a time.

Wargames are another option, best check with the wargames thread as I haven't tried any yet - have a couple on the way, though. the Leader series and States of Siege series are two I've heard are good.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I was at a Halloween party last night and I managed to teach Chaos in the Old World to fellow drunks well enough that they were able to play it without my supervision after the first round and a half. I'd like to believe this speaks well of me as a teacher, and for the game being well-designed, but I don't know if they actually did things right after I stopped watching so I dunno.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Cerepol posted:

Most good co-op games can be played solo unless they explicitly make use of hidden information as a core mechanic, or work on a timer and assume that the group will be able to do lots of things in parallel. Even then, a solo mode can occasionally be found in some expansion (eg. Pandemic's In The Lab solo mode). I also rather like K2's and Agricola's solo modes, but they become far more puzzle-game:y at that point.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Cerepol posted:

I have no idea how good any of these are, having not tried them, but if you already have any of these games, they might be worth checking out.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/49479/soloplay-variants-posted-geek

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Anyone who has Betrayal at House on the Hill: Can anyone tell me what the traitor's supposed to do when Haunt 28 (Ring/Demon Lord) comes up? It says to leave the traitor on the board, but nothing else. I played a game with that haunt last night and nobody had any idea how that affects the other players or if the traitor could still move, or what they could do in the game beyond that. Do they just keep playing as normal? Do the demons attack the traitor?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Bonk posted:

Anyone who has Betrayal at House on the Hill: Can anyone tell me what the traitor's supposed to do when Haunt 28 (Ring/Demon Lord) comes up? It says to leave the traitor on the board, but nothing else. I played a game with that haunt last night and nobody had any idea how that affects the other players or if the traitor could still move, or what they could do in the game beyond that. Do they just keep playing as normal? Do the demons attack the traitor?

I assume that the traitor moves as normal, but I seeing as I dislike the game and try not to get roped into it my answer isn't exactly authoritative. Yesterday my group was playing this game and while I was watching I took the liberty of looking through the book. In the back is a disclaimer that basically says that if you can't find a satisfactory answer in the rulebook then make something up.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Bonk posted:

I have the old printing (orange box), but WotC/Avalon Hill printed a revision of the old haunts. Looked at #28, and the first thing it said in the scenario info is "The player is still in the game, but has turned traitor". So it looks like you're still in control of yourself, and the traitor controls all monsters, so they wouldn't attack him.

Victory condition showed "You win when: All other players are dead", so there's what you'd be doing. The main rulebook shows how to play when there's traitors and monsters at the same time (Traitor goes, then monster goes. Traitor and Monsters both have slightly different movement rules/ability to ignore rooms/events)

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Woah woah woah woah. We have skipped the bit where the updated Tash Kalar and expansion were in the UK and it was never answered whether it was a real shop or whether it can be ordered or whatever.

After that, normal service may resume.

Although I'm probably gonna follow up on the solitaire wargame, that was a good diversion.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

We just did a 6-player game of 7 Wonders with the Babel expansion, I have to admit I'm pretty underwhelmed. Most of the Babel tiles have such an extreme effect that playing them either screws you over aswell or the bonus that everyone gets is way to strong. So far Leaders has been alot more interesting although we still have to try the big projects expansion that came with Babel.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Fat Turkey posted:

Woah woah woah woah. We have skipped the bit where the updated Tash Kalar and expansion were in the UK and it was never answered whether it was a real shop or whether it can be ordered or whatever.

After that, normal service may resume.

Although I'm probably gonna follow up on the solitaire wargame, that was a good diversion.
Here

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cerepol posted:

I have a table that pretty much always has a board game out with a solo game going. Wheneven I wander by I'll take a few turns. This is what I have found:

Top Tier: Agricola, Mage Knight, Robinson Crusoe
Mid Tier: Forbidden Island/Desert, Pandemic, Arkham Horror, Thunderstone Advance
Can be played solo but not very fun: Talisman, Pathfinder Adventure Cards

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 25, 2014

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Played travel blog today, it was pretty good, nice and simple but God the tiny money is fiddly.

Little bit of filler, relatively relaxed. Looking forward to playing bsg, which i got for my birthday, bringing my number of new unplayed games to 4. I might have a problem.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

WhiteHowler posted:

Goons, I'm calling you out! For everyone from SA who donates $5 or more via our donation link, I'll throw in another $5 of my own. Be sure to leave something about goons, SA, or stairs in your donation comment.

I forgot to mention SA but I totally mentioned that it was Broken Loose.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Thank you!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Cerepol posted:

Thunderbolt Apache Leader is a phenomenal solitaire game.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow

Cerepol posted:

I picked up Darkest Night this week and have played it solo a few times. I'm liking it quite a bit - Basically taking the concepts that make you want to play Arkham Horror in the first place, but replacing the mechanics that make you regret that decision.

Lord of the Rings LCG also works very well solo. (See the LCG thread for more about that one.)

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
Beat Friday for the first time today. Barely beat the second pirate and finished with 0 life points, end score was 39.

This game has saved me from a couple really boring Saturdays at work and I may try the harder variants after I try to beat Space Hulk: Death Angel.

Also if anyone has been watching CSI is doing a Halloween sale. So far I haven't seen anything worth buying but they do have some daily deals that also don't look worth buying.

ThaShaneTrain fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 26, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So here's tonight's report.

Opened with Prosperity again. I could only get 3 people for it, so I took the chance to play hard mode - you start a little more in the hole than the base game, but you have an extra space for the limited resource of power plants. Managed to pull out a win with my usual strategy of clearing pollution completely.

Next was a game called Evolution, apparently a port of a Russian game. There's a deck of cards, and you get 3 to start, +1 per living species. One plays for its value in food to create a secret communal pool of plants (revealed after cards are played), and future cards are discarded to spawn new creatures, increase a creature's body size or population by 1, or played to a creature to add the card's trait to it.

One trait is "Carnivore", which means the creature has to eat 1 population from a creature with a smaller body size, instead of taking a plant from the communal pool. You can eat as much food as your population, and you lose any you can't feed. It was a pretty fun game and very close at the end - first, second, and third were each one point apart.

Next was Caverna. I decided to go for a stunt build with the Office, attained maximum overhang, and tied for first with 80 points. It kind of helped that I was the only one out of five who never took weapons.

Last was Tragedy Looper, where I Masterminded the first two scripts and got completely clowned. I probably should have cut off table talk for the second game. I think I'll try that next week. Maybe give everybody an Extra Card to play for a minute of table-talk per loop.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Something unexpected happened when I played Warrior Knights for the first time today: its action-resolution mechanic reminded me of Dungeon Lords' worker placement cards. I really did not expect such dissimilar games to share the notion of timing actions through three stages of card play to such degree; both games even loosely lock your played cards out of play temporarily. That similarity to Dungeon Lords, however, about the most praise I can save for Warrior Knights. It's another FFG game that suffers from trying to put in a lot of theoretically interesting mechanics that don't realize fruition due to being poorly paced for the game's scope, being sidelined due to random elements, or just being poorly designed.

It actually reminds me of City of Remnants in how it is an area control game of sorts that seems promising but the glue of execution holding those ideas together couldn't keep a Post-It Note stuck to fly paper.

And then I got to play Tigris and Euphrates wherein I discovered my latent ability to mess up what should of been a no-brainer rules explanation to fantastic degrees. Is there anything more depressing than the guilt from ruining someone's impression--nay even enjoyment of a game because you had to pop a ton of "machine gun" rules mid-game that you know are vital to play but failed to teach properly? I think the game experience was left mostly intact for most players. I think this becomes a huge issue in the current board gaming environment where one's first play of a game might be their last play just because of how big of a selection of titles there are. While I'd love to chalk first plays of games as "learning games," it sucks when people won't get to play a game you love with experience under their belt because you hosed up the first impression.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 26, 2014

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Experienced Cosmic Encounter today. There's not much game there, and some of the alien abilities are just loving absurd. The negotiation and piling on of allies is interesting, but I feel like there's not a whole lot to do. Played the Fantasy Flight version sans any expansions.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Cassa posted:

Experienced Cosmic Encounter today. There's not much game there, and some of the alien abilities are just loving absurd. The negotiation and piling on of allies is interesting, but I feel like there's not a whole lot to do. Played the Fantasy Flight version sans any expansions.

The heart of the game is really managing and bluffing your hand of cards, which really comes into its own when players have a good understanding of the card distribution. In that respect it's a little bit like Twilight Struggle, although of course CE is deliberately more random to keep things lighthearted and accessible.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Trynant posted:

Something unexpected happened when I played Warrior Knights for the first time today: its action-resolution mechanic reminded me of Dungeon Lords' worker placement cards. I really did not expect such dissimilar games to share the notion of timing actions through three stages of card play to such degree; both games even loosely lock your played cards out of play temporarily. That similarity to Dungeon Lords, however, about the most praise I can save for Warrior Knights. It's another FFG game that suffers from trying to put in a lot of theoretically interesting mechanics that don't realize fruition due to being poorly paced for the game's scope, being sidelined due to random elements, or just being poorly designed.

It actually reminds me of City of Remnants in how it is an area control game of sorts that seems promising but the glue of execution holding those ideas together couldn't keep a Post-It Note stuck to fly paper.

It's actually originally a Games Workshop game. I'm sure FFG made some changes, but I think that's probably a good warning sign.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

PerniciousKnid posted:

The heart of the game is really managing and bluffing your hand of cards, which really comes into its own when players have a good understanding of the card distribution. In that respect it's a little bit like Twilight Struggle, although of course CE is deliberately more random to keep things lighthearted and accessible.

Deck knowledge and hand management do not two similar games make.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

malkav11 posted:

It's actually originally a Games Workshop game. I'm sure FFG made some changes, but I think that's probably a good warning sign.

I have heard but cannot confirm that the Warrior Knights expansion solves a ton of problems in the base game and should be considered required to play.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00O4CMRQU/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1414340207&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40

This is the new edition too, correct? Think I'm going to have to pick it up at that price...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

AzMiLion posted:

Hello boardgames thread,

recently got back into playing boardgames wth a group of friends and we promptly sunk way to much goddamn money into it.(Zombicde season one and two, Chaos in the Old World, Galaxy Defenders, Dungeon Command and a bunch more stuff that I haven't seen yet from their trip to Spiel.)

Recently we've been playing a lot of zombicide, to the point of having run through most of the man mssions from season one and two, and we are starting on toxic city mall once we acquire that. Anyone have any good scenario resources that we could use to find more scenarios, including ones using tiles from both seasons?

We've done a couple of runs where everyone plays 3 or so survivors so there are several groups of survivors running around, and doubled or tripled the zombie spawn amounts(drawing extra cards when bustng open rooms, placing extra spawn zones and such) and combining these with the ultra-red rules, that's been good fun too in a "who's team can kill the most zombes before going down in a ball of gore" knda way but we are lookng for more maps. anyone got recommendations?

Sorry this hasn't been answered (it's probably due to a good bit of the thread's regulars hating Zombicide...but that's irrelevant); I'm pretty sure you could find a lot of resources on boardgamegeek if you haven't tried already.

EDIT: And considering that site has awful design despite being a valuable database; here's Zombicide's page entry.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 26, 2014

• Locked thread