Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But the gas in NJ is like 75 cents cheaper than over the border in NY, so I have no idea how any gas station within 20 miles of the border on the NY side stays in business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Because driving into NJ involves jersey drivers and driving out of NJ involves paying tolls.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I guess if you're talking about Manhattan. I meant more like the northern border.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

evilbastard posted:

NT News, the greatest paper in Australia has a report that filming has started in Darwin. Cars are a Bentley Continental, a Nissan GTR and a BMW M3.

Is it true ? Well, no photos of the crew, and it isn't the NT News's normal area of expertise so who can be certain. One of the sources of the article seems to be this rather blunt posting to Facebook

Hope so, I'd love them to do a Darwin to Melbourne type run, go on a few salt pans and such, although it seems they were sticking mostly around Darwin.

Segments of the Stuart Highway in the NT are unrestricted, so they could get upto some real speed there if they went to those locations.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-01/speed-limits-shelved-for-nt-highway-sports-cars/5232388

It is also the route of the World Solar Challenge and parts of the Highway in South Australia pass through the worlds largest military test range, the Woomera Prohibited Area.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Highway

drunkill fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 23, 2014

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

"Bell end" is a reference to penises which sounds kinda like "penal colony." Get yer pitch forks, Australia.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
They're heading to Perth according to Clarkson's twitter

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Pfft, roadkill has already been here, I would have cared about that if I knew beforehand.
TGUK already done a few rip off expensive ticket studio/arena shows in Australia.

What I'd want to say to the roadkill guys: Love your work, keep going.
What I would say to the TGUK guys: Surely it's about time to wrap it up?
Perth:
In the north it's full of the English, go down a little further and it's South Africans, then you get the wealthier 3rd gen white Australians from the old country, then the gentrified areas close to the city, often full of Italians and Greeks.
Near the city and the coast (AKA "The western suburbs") they'll find their own kind in range rovers and $2-30million properties and a nice picnic spot on the grass right on cottesloe beach, and the suburbs all the magnates and politicians come from.

But go too far inland and you'll hit the natives and the poor though, watch it!
Too far south you might find some Asians, don't want any new faux pas again do we?
Perth sucks.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 24, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I hope whatever they're doing gets gatecrashed by Moog & Marty.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

InitialDave posted:

Cars are a Bentley Continental, a Nissan GTR, a BMW M3, and a '95 sleeper Subaru Legacy Liberty with a turbo EZ36.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

thelightguy posted:

Because driving into NJ involves jersey drivers and driving out of NJ involves paying tolls.

As someone who grew up in Jersey, I actually don't know of a single way to leave that doesn't involve paying a toll. There are only a few border crossings to the west and south due to the Delaware and north or east is New York. They love letting you in for free but gently caress you if you want to leave.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You're never going to get someone to pay to enter New Jersey.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hell, we charge people to enter (but not to leave) Wales.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

DiggityDoink posted:

As someone who grew up in Jersey, I actually don't know of a single way to leave that doesn't involve paying a toll. There are only a few border crossings to the west and south due to the Delaware and north or east is New York. They love letting you in for free but gently caress you if you want to leave.

Where 295 loops around Trenton and turns into 95 in PA is free. I think there might be a few single lane country roads elsewhere.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

InitialDave posted:

Hell, we charge people to enter (but not to leave) Wales.

Only if you're a southern posho who's too good for the M50. :colbert:

Besides Wales has at least 2 redeeming features.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jammyozzy posted:

Only if you're a southern posho who's too good for the M50. :colbert:

It depends, I've found. Sometimes it seems slightly faster to go down the M5 and across the bridge. Though last time, I cut across through Gloucester and down the A48.

I tend to fit in a visit to friends in the Bath area if I'm going that way, which kind of tips the route planning.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

jammyozzy posted:

I give in, what are they?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

spog posted:

You're allowed to leave whenever you want, and there's nothing on the other side you would have to travel through it to get to.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Powershift posted:

You're allowed to leave whenever you want, and there's nothing on the other side you would have to travel through it to get to.

I was expecting Anthony Hopkins and Rob Bryden Tom Jones.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

spog posted:

A border you can cross to England and a port with a ship you can use to get to another country?

Wouldn't be suprised if it was apparently top gear's fault that there is a toll to pay to get into Wales either, many of their earlier features were on and about the roads in Wales. :v:

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 25, 2014

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
1. Mountain biking.

2. Accents. "Grotty little scrote" in a Welsh accent makes me cackle like an idiot.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Cider.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's more moi luvvar than boyo.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

InitialDave posted:

That's more moi luvvar than boyo.

Ha its like the only thingn I know about wales from James and Oz drunken stagger round Britain thing. what would a us state equivalent be of Wales.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Where 295 loops around Trenton and turns into 95 in PA is free. I think there might be a few single lane country roads elsewhere.

That would explain why I didn't know about it. I stayed away from Trenton like it had the plague. Which it may as well have.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Preoptopus posted:

Ha its like the only thingn I know about wales from James and Oz drunken stagger round Britain thing. what would a us state equivalent be of Wales.

It's damp and mountainous, the locals have funny accents, and there's not a lot of compelling reasons to go there although bits of it are lovely, so let's say... Maine?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Seams reasonable. The New England area of this country is something I have no desire to partake in for no good reason at all. Im sure the same is thought over there of Wisconsin tho.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it's somewhere you'd choose to store ex-German WW2 chemical munitions on the basis that they may leak a bit, you're probably not far off.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Preoptopus posted:

Whichever one where the chief signwriter had a stroke:

But you can get around it by using some guy's Outlook out-of-office reply for all your signs:

quote:

When officials asked for the Welsh translation of a road sign, they thought the reply was what they needed.
Unfortunately, the e-mail response to Swansea council said in Welsh: "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated".
So that was what went up under the English version which barred lorries from a road near a supermarket.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I paid and displayed once. Didn't get much else done that day.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Lambertville-New Hope is free too but other than that I'm struggling to think of anywhere else.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I watched 21x01 today and the hot hatch challenge had a great choice of music.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 237 days!)

InitialDave posted:

Following Clarkson around playing Moogs' lovely music for a two hour special? I'd watch it (with mute on).

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I'VE DONE A BAD THING

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/behind-the-scenes-perfect-road-trip-2-2014-11-3

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Viggen posted:

Moogs' lovely music

Them's fighting words

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I was watching one of the episodes with the "vote on the best driving song" contest and while Hammond was describing how to vote, Clarkson put his head in frame and said "Vote for Doobie Brothers" while Hammond was all "Stop it" then right after that James put his head in and said "Steely Dan" and stuck his tongue out which utterly killed me just because of his facial expression and the fact that I never expected James to like Steely Dan.

CyO
Oct 11, 2007
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Ha, Hammond. "Aw, why's it always me?"

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I hope that's plastidip.

Edit: Actually, nah, permanent would be more funny. "Here's your car back, BMW".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So are they saying cocks are done with Audis and back to BMWs?