Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
nah you're good

as thanks for your time enjoy more weird Chinese poo poo

kinda want to have someone figure out how to do a half assed relic job on it and heat it up to the point where you can stick bugs in it so it looks like a big chunk of amber

E:

Clitch posted:

Go to Hell, Dr. Faustus. I hope you go straight to Hell, and when you get there, they hand you a PRS, and on that PRS is a little scratch on the upper horn. Just a little one. Not even all the way through the clear. But you know what? It won't buff out. No matter what you do, that little scratch will endure, and stare up at you while you play for all eternity on an amp that will only produce the tone Santana used on Smooth.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Dewgy posted:

nah you're good

as thanks for your time enjoy more weird Chinese poo poo

kinda want to have someone figure out how to do a half assed relic job on it and heat it up to the point where you can stick bugs in it so it looks like a big chunk of amber

that would actually make a steinberger cool holy poo poo

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
looking at these is bad for my health

i want them all because i have awful awful taste

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Clitch posted:

You know, I was always willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.
You lie.

quote:

I grew up in the 80s. I heard a lot of hair metal. I soaked in the era of neon pink spandex and JEMs. I don't have to like these things, but I know the times, and I can understand a fondness for them. I could even look past your waffling serious/drunk/counter-troll posts, when someone made fun of your guitars.

But...

Tobacco burst is a hideous finish, and I just can't sit by while you say otherwise.

Go to Hell, Dr. Faustus. I hope you go straight to Hell, and when you get there, they hand you a PRS, and on that PRS is a little scratch on the upper horn. Just a little one. Not even all the way through the clear. But you know what? It won't buff out. No matter what you do, that little scratch will endure, and stare up at you while you play for all eternity on an amp that will only produce the tone Santana used on Smooth.

gently caress this noise,
A) I hate Carlos Santana. His playing makes Clapton's look like Jimi's on depressants, and if you know what I mean by that then you have forgiven me already.
B) I spent an ungodly amount of money of several guitars, the JEM77FP notwithstanding, but do you think that I, at 17 years old, treated it like some holy relic? gently caress no, I did not. I paid hard cash for it (go look up the price for it in 1989) and I beat it to poo poo. Why? Because I bought it to PLAY IT, not look at it. I actually paid about the same price for my RG770DX a couple years later.
And you know what? I played the gently caress out of them, to the point they got beaten to poo poo. Most of the "sunburst" around my JEM77FP is Sharpie Pen ink.

I don't mean I played these guitars in the bedroom at Mom and Dad's house. I mean we played in clubs and rehearsals where they got cracked and shredded.

So how about you go gently caress yourself with your "Blues Dad" memes when I was playing these guitars like they meant to be played 25 years ago, when I was playing Satriani and Rush and AOR rock and so much else?

You know NOTHING about what I've put these poor guitars through.

You know why I did it? Because I don't buy guitars to look good. I buy them to perform.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I want to know if they're like all the bootleg Chinese toys and just randomly flash the LEDs as you strum.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Dr. Faustus posted:

You lie.

A) I hate Carlos Santana. His playing makes Clapton's look like Jimi's on depressants, and if you know what I mean by that then you have forgiven me already.
B) I spent an ungodly amount of money of several guitars, the JEM77FP notwithstanding, but do you think that I, at 17 years old, treated it like some holy relic? gently caress no, I did not. I paid hard cash for it (go look up the price for it in 1989) and I beat it to poo poo. Why? Because I bought it to PLAY IT, not look at it. I actually paid about the same price for my RG770DX a couple years later.
And you know what? I played the gently caress out of them, to the point they got beaten to poo poo. Most of the "sunburst" around my JEM77FP is Sharpie Pen ink.

I don't mean I played these guitars in the bedroom at Mom and Dad's house. I mean we played in clubs and rehearsals where they got cracked and shredded.

So how about you go gently caress yourself with your "Blues Dad" memes when I was playing these guitars like they meant to be played 25 years ago, when I was playing Satriani and Rush and AOR rock and so much else?

You know why I did it? Because I don't buy guitars to look good. I buy them to perform.

you're a nerd

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ThePutty posted:

you're a nerd
Ouch.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Did we just go back in time? What the gently caress.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sire Oblivion posted:

Did we just go back in time? What the gently caress.
Only if you can't imagine what it was like trying to entertain a club 25 years ago before digital everything.
Yeah, you probably have no idea.
So, yes.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Clearly you are the only person in this entire thread who's ever played a live gig.

Please tell us more.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I never said that.
Were you playing live gigs with no sequencers or samplers and live tube rigs in 1990? I'd love to talk about it, rather than fight about it.

Dirt posted:

Please tell us more.
I'd be happy to. What would you like to read about?

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Godammit Faustus nobody cares, just let us laugh at dumb looking guitars in peace and stop trying to make this thread all about you.

Personally I like pink guitars because they are fun and also Murray the Red Wiggle had one.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Stanfield posted:

Godammit Faustus nobody cares, just let us laugh at dumb looking guitars in peace and stop trying to make this thread all about you.

Personally I like pink guitars because they are fun and also Murray the Red Wiggle had one.

Fair enough.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Dr. Faustus do you have a butt plug with a handle carved into it?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I love hair metal and I still think Ibanez made lovely looking guitars for the time. If you want a real classic metal superstrat why wouldn't you get a loving Soloist, ie the coolest superstrat? If you want an awesome 80's hair metal shredding guitar get a classic Fernandes because those are guitars with some loving chops. Plus Hide played the gaudy as gently caress Fernandes Burny and he was arguably one of the greatest metal guitarists of all time. And seriously that guitar is in the S class of guady 80's metal guitars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ja7H5_Kxu0&t=139s
Stare into the abyss of modified mockingbirds done in plexi.

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

literally lol if somebody doesn't like japanese guitars and japanese metal.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Cartoon posted:

OK Audio test time!

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=72010681966478746082

Here's the url of the file Test 1.7z

It contains four de-identified wav files. Your mission is to identify the one with the best tone and the one with the most sustain. If you think it is the same one as the best tone one say so!

The program is four open chords strummed down and left to ring out. Your answer is one of C, I, K or V

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=03283643843160444077

That's the url of the file Test 2.7z

It contains six de-identified wav files. Your mission is to identify the one with the best tone and the one with the most sustain. If you think it is the same as the best tone one say so!

The program is four open chords strummed down and left to ring out then a simple scale up and back. Your answer is one of D,E,J,M,S or Y

Notes

I could go into a bunch of stuff about the methodology but meh.
I would have used tindeck but tindeck was today, for me at least, fubar.
I have spent years researching 'tone' myths on the Internet and examined many claims in depth on another music forum. Happy to discuss.

Can't listen to any files as I'm on a lovely connection, but I'm going to quote this as it doesn't deserve to get buried under the KING OF THE THREAD craziness.

Stanfield posted:

I was tempted to paint this Romanian Les Paul neon pink. I'll probably do this on another guitar, that paint is too vile to not use.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 25, 2014

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Dr. Faustus posted:

You lie.

That's why I called it HELL you utter tit! I wasn't describing Dr. Faustus' Fantasy Wank Camp For People Who Can't Shut The gently caress Up On The Internet.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

How did the thread jump back in time six months? :psyduck:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
all it takes is one person completely devoid of self awareness

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

muike posted:

all it takes is one person completely devoid of self awareness

or any sense of humor

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Cartoon posted:

OK Audio test time!

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=72010681966478746082

Here's the url of the file Test 1.7z

It contains four de-identified wav files. Your mission is to identify the one with the best tone and the one with the most sustain. If you think it is the same one as the best tone one say so!

The program is four open chords strummed down and left to ring out. Your answer is one of C, I, K or V

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=03283643843160444077

That's the url of the file Test 2.7z

It contains six de-identified wav files. Your mission is to identify the one with the best tone and the one with the most sustain. If you think it is the same as the best tone one say so!

The program is four open chords strummed down and left to ring out then a simple scale up and back. Your answer is one of D,E,J,M,S or Y

Notes

I could go into a bunch of stuff about the methodology but meh.
I would have used tindeck but tindeck was today, for me at least, fubar.
I have spent years researching 'tone' myths on the Internet and examined many claims in depth on another music forum. Happy to discuss.
test 1: i don't care about the sustain but C and I sound identical and also the best to me

test 2: i liked E the most because it was super nasty snarly :twisted:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
dr faustus do not get upset when someone makes fun of one of your goofy guitars, even if you must use your ki or chi to do so, as i do when schlieren calls my guitars pointy even though i do not think they are that pointy and it hurts me in the feels. this is my advice. responding to me is not necessary and, indeed, advised against. take it into your being, your essence.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

I've got a lot of catching up to do, but I've seen Dr. Faustus' name as the most recent poster in my followed threads page a bunch of times so roughly how many of the last, say, 700 posts are him whining?

Also here, have this. It's a memorial, apparently.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

You lie.

Christ.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

i have a question about baritone guitars:

can you just take a baritone neck for the same brand and slap it on the regular model type, restring it and turn it baritone, or will this gently caress everything up

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
if the neck is made to do that, you can. if it is not, noooooooo

warmoth makes baritone conversion necks for fender guitars. if it's not a fender, or you don't want a warmoth neck, i am without knowledge

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

like say you had a jaguar and you had a baritone neck for a jaguar, could you switch those necks over? or do you need the very specific neck that's specific for your guitar or something

if not, what would gently caress up horribly?

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

ThePutty posted:

like say you had a jaguar and you had a baritone neck for a jaguar, could you switch those necks over? or do you need the very specific neck that's specific for your guitar or something

if not, what would gently caress up horribly?

If anything the bridge might be in the wrong place and therefore not intonate correcty, but honestly I don't know whether or not that would be the case.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
if you got a baritone CONVERSION neck for a jaguar it would work fine, but a non-conversion neck would cause the scale length to be hosed up and the frets would not be placed correctly

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

okay i've got you, if i wanted to switch a guitar to baritone i'd need an actual conversion neck for it and not just a regular baritone neck

unless i wanted it to sound deliberately horrible :getin:

Reer
Sep 27, 2007

by Ralp

Sleepflower posted:

I've got a lot of catching up to do, but I've seen Dr. Faustus' name as the most recent poster in my followed threads page a bunch of times so roughly how many of the last, say, 700 posts are him whining?

Also here, have this. It's a memorial, apparently.

rip guy. u may be dead but tophat guitarist meme guy lives on and can continue to make bank playing half assed guitar solos for a few minutes at a time at corporate gigs and football matches

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It's a beautiful Saturday morning here in Charlotte. I've done my tilting at windmills thing again and as usual it was a mistake.
This is me bowing out and being quiet.

I'll try to ignore the :siren:Google Alerts:siren: that tell me my name has come up in this thread where everybody hates me and I shouldn't post. I promise, I'll try.

VVV You got it! Congratulations! VVV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 25, 2014

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
this is me being quiet

:siren: I'M BEING QUIET :siren:

just posting to say i'm not going to be posting anymore

(bye)

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

VVV You got it! Congratulations! VVV

You're unbelievably pathetic.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Sleepflower posted:

You're unbelievably pathetic.

couldnt go ten minutes, lmao

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'll try to ignore the :siren:Google Alerts:siren: that tell me my name has come up in this thread where everybody hates me and I shouldn't post. I promise, I'll try.

People legitimately take the time to set up alerts when they are mentioned in threads? Holy poo poo.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Faustus and his terrible posting about his ugly guitars just killed Jack Bruce.

It should of been Clapton.

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

Whenever I hear radio ads for the upcoming Joe Bonamossa concert, I think of you guys.

Also I thought "Schnecters" were just a product of trolling but I went in to my local GC recently and nope there was one in all its glory on the wall next to the cheap fenders.

Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ThePutty posted:

i have a question about baritone guitars:

can you just take a baritone neck for the same brand and slap it on the regular model type, restring it and turn it baritone, or will this gently caress everything up

just buy some heavy gauge strings and tune down on a normal guitar, it sounds fine. I have two that I've done this to and I love both of them.

• Locked thread