Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Took my kids fishing for the first time this weekend. Being only four I tried to make sure the experience was as memorable as possible. I had access to a private camp ground with a well stocked lake. It didn't disappoint as we caught about eight 14inch plus rainbow trout in about 30 minutes.

I also caught and landed a log. My daughter is telling everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Golbez
Sep 13, 2005
The Gulf (of Mexico) Council just passed Amendment 40, which takes arguably our biggest fishery, red snapper, and essentially gives it all to commercial and for-hire fishers. What this means is for next year, there will likely be no red snapper season for recreational fishermen in federal waters. Can commercial guys slaughter them out there? Absolutely. Can you pay for a charter to catch them? Sure. But take your family to catch some on your own boat? Nope!

One sad/hilarious aspect of this is everyone down here blames "Osama and those dumbocrats" for this. The reality is all governors and 8/10 senators from the involved states are republicans, and privatization of a public resource is certainly a conservative idea. There is no reasonable resolution in sight.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Kid Golbez posted:

The Gulf (of Mexico) Council just passed Amendment 40, which takes arguably our biggest fishery, red snapper, and essentially gives it all to commercial and for-hire fishers. What this means is for next year, there will likely be no red snapper season for recreational fishermen in federal waters. Can commercial guys slaughter them out there? Absolutely. Can you pay for a charter to catch them? Sure. But take your family to catch some on your own boat? Nope!

One sad/hilarious aspect of this is everyone down here blames "Osama and those dumbocrats" for this. The reality is all governors and 8/10 senators from the involved states are republicans, and privatization of a public resource is certainly a conservative idea. There is no reasonable resolution in sight.

Yeah. Florida Sportsman has been running articles about this every August and September since 2002. Red snapper fishing is some colossal joke screwing the individual sportfisher.

Sportfishing does not pay lobbyists enough money, nor do its scientific studies based in science produce an outcome that gives more money to governors.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

If it's anything like the west coast it's also like 1% of the total catch which is ludicrous in comparison. But you are right. Not enough lobbying money so you just lost your resource. Remember to vote folks! Though I have no idea who actually cares about fishermen and hunters these days.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kid Golbez posted:

Rick Scott is literally the worst governor in history. I am not even embellishing, his approval rating is lower than any other governor from any other state in history. Its a miracle he got elected to begin with.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Upgraded my fishing kayak yesterday! Native Ultimate 14.5

http://imgur.com/a/MvXOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sweet rig. Where are you?

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
So i was worried about not getting any fish this autumn, but i went out today and managed to catch a perfectly sized pike! I went to one of my spots where i haven't been to in a while where the water gets deeper fast from where i stand, 20 minutes after sundown, at the last minute. I was a couple of throws away from calling it a day because it was getting too dark. Water is still comparably warmer than the air because fish activity/ripples start appearing at sundown.

Didn't weigh it, but i guesstimate around 2 kg. From the looks of it was a wellnourished fish, plenty of fight in him/her and very stocky.

It's freaky how "longlived" they are. Even after i gutted it and removed it's head it was still twitching one of it's fins.

They have pretty impressive teeth.
Lower jaw:

Roof of the mouth and upper jaw is fangless but is filled with rows of thousands of tiny teeth, like sharkskin but rougher.

edit: I weighed it after gutting it and removing the head, weighs 1.2 kg, so I would guess the full fish is closer to 1.5 kg than my guesstimated 2. Still, 1.2 kgs worth of fish meat will be enough for like 4 meals.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 1, 2014

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Sweet rig. Where are you?

Fl Panhandle

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I'm moving to penescola Florida for six months starting next January. Hoping to get a ton of fishing in.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Just picked up a new boat.
Traded a guitar and some cash for it. It's in pretty cherry condition.

Meanwhile, all the water near me will soon be frozen over.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Meanwhile, all the water near me will soon be frozen over.

Smart man. This is when you get deals on boats.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
What's the name of the line that you string the fish after you caught them? The one you run through their gills, I think.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I mainly do fishing in saltwater. When I do fish freshwater, its usually lakes and canals in Florida for bass. I might have the opportunity to go fishing at Myakka State Park in Florida, which has some good fishing for things like crappie, sunfish, catfish, etc. Having never gone after these things, any tips? Googling gave me this site, a charter site that I don't plan on using but had some good info: http://www.myakkariverfishing.com/

I would like to go after stuff that is edible if possible.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Benny the Snake posted:

What's the name of the line that you string the fish after you caught them? The one you run through their gills, I think.

Stringer :)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I haven't gotten in much fishing, but got 60 lbs of chanterelles and found some really cherry spots to get a hook wet last week, all fly-fishing only though so I didn't have the right gear in the trunk.

swickles posted:

Rick Scott is literally the worst governor in history. I am not even embellishing, his approval rating is lower than any other governor from any other state in history. Its a miracle he got elected to begin with.
:ssh: don't look at the election results from last night then.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

swickles posted:

I mainly do fishing in saltwater. When I do fish freshwater, its usually lakes and canals in Florida for bass. I might have the opportunity to go fishing at Myakka State Park in Florida, which has some good fishing for things like crappie, sunfish, catfish, etc. Having never gone after these things, any tips? Googling gave me this site, a charter site that I don't plan on using but had some good info: http://www.myakkariverfishing.com/

I would like to go after stuff that is edible if possible.

The only tip I have is that crappie and sunfish are delicious, at least they are up here in Minnesota, not sure if they taste the same in that hellhole known as Florida. Sunfish are pretty aggressive and not usually too hard to catch, you can usually find them hanging out in the weeds or near shoreline structure(fallen trees). A bobber and worm will catch you lots of sunfish. Crappie can be harder to locate as they will oftentimes suspend over deep water, when that's the case unless you have intimate knowledge of the lake, good electronics might be necessary to locate them.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
:doh: Thanks

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

DoctaFun posted:

The only tip I have is that crappie and sunfish are delicious, at least they are up here in Minnesota, not sure if they taste the same in that hellhole known as Florida. Sunfish are pretty aggressive and not usually too hard to catch, you can usually find them hanging out in the weeds or near shoreline structure(fallen trees). A bobber and worm will catch you lots of sunfish. Crappie can be harder to locate as they will oftentimes suspend over deep water, when that's the case unless you have intimate knowledge of the lake, good electronics might be necessary to locate them.

Cool, thanks for the tips. Lastly, after researching, I think I am going to spend a few hours going after catfish. Anyone have any good resources or tips for that? I plan on hitting the bait shop up for tips too.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

swickles posted:

Cool, thanks for the tips. Lastly, after researching, I think I am going to spend a few hours going after catfish. Anyone have any good resources or tips for that? I plan on hitting the bait shop up for tips too.

You can catch catfish on literally anything, sometimes even accidentally.

I caught a catfish inshore Florida (brackish water) with no bait at all. I had a couple of beers left, and it was a nice day, so to make the illusion of doing something useful, I threw out a 1/0 hook bare with a split shot a foot or so above it to get it to cast. Half an hour later, and my line is moving. A catfish had decided to eat the hook for no appreciable reason.

Now I've got the wonderful task of trying to get an angry catfish off my line when I wasn't prepared for it. I just cut the line below the shot. No point in getting stabbed for something that's going to rust out in a week.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I like me some liver. Big ol nightcrawlers are good, chunks of shad or other cut bait. Shrimp can work depending on where you are. Don't bother with stink bait.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Caught a 25lb cat on a hot dog chunk so yeah,...not that picky.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

How did you do this?

Oh and, first Muskie!

(First that I didn't spear...)

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
[quote="Ironsolid" post="437397883"]
How did you do this?

I just boiled the head for like half an hour, after that the skin and flesh just comes off, you rip away the lower jaw and then brush the jaw softly with a toothbrush to remove the pieces of skin/flesh left.

Sometimes i make fishhead soup and the lower jaws trophies come as a byproduct.
I like to save some of the lower jaws, kind of like trophies, and pike jaws are so drat cool. And crazy sharp! Be gentle though, as you can see below their teeth can de dislodged easily after been boiled.

Ideally i would want to keep the whole cranium, but everything is mostly held together with cartilage so it all falls apart when you boil it, and the lower jaws is one of the only iconic bone parts that i can manage to easily get out intact.

The jaws in the middle is from a zander (Sander lucioperca). Reasonable size, but it's jaws are tiny compared to a pike of the same weight. They're cool because the uttermost tooth is a fang, looks like a fish-vampire.

Cool Muskie! How are muskies compared to Northern Pikes? I've never seen one, because i live in Europe where they don't exist, so for me another, larger species of pike seems exotic me. Here in Sweden we have only one species of pike (Esox lucius).

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 8, 2014

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Went fishing off a dock with my pops this morning and caught at least 120 fish. Though 115 of them were shad that were in a feeding frenzy for a few hours straight. Despite them being a rather useless fish, they're fun to pull in when they're kind of large and biting every single cast.

Also caught a yellow bass that I honestly think was close to the state record but I misidentified it (forgot white bass don't have broken up lines at the bottom) and tossed it back without much thought. State record for the yellow bass here is 2lb 8oz, I didn't weigh this one but it felt every bit of that. Crud. On the plus side, apparently the fish would have had to die to certify it and that's not really cool so I'm glad it's still out there for someone else to catch regardless.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 10, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Shad is a really good food fish but you need to be loving filleting ninja to deal with the double rib bones.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

LingcodKilla posted:

Shad is a really good food fish but you need to be loving filleting ninja to deal with the double rib bones.

Oh interesting, I didn't know that! I always assumed they tasted terrible given the reaction many people have to them. If I have another streak of fishing like that I might have to give it a try then!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Oh interesting, I didn't know that! I always assumed they tasted terrible given the reaction many people have to them. If I have another streak of fishing like that I might have to give it a try then!

Try cooking a big one whole then grabbing by the tail and gently shaking the meat off the bones. Or if the bones seem really small and you like crab cake after you do this throw it in a food processor grind it up and make shad cakes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PREYING MANTITS posted:

As far as I'm concerned they are pretty terrible. They are oily and just generally not something worth the trouble.

VERY fun to catch during the run though. But I just send them back.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

The Speckled Trout are in the middle of their annual eat everything that moves before the water gets too cold and we have to go back up in the rivers feeding fest.

http://imgur.com/a/5gY1I

Limit in Florida is 5 a day and only one over 20" Those 5 are between 16-19" and I threw back 4 more over 20" in the span of about an hour.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Farking Bastage posted:

The Speckled Trout are in the middle of their annual eat everything that moves before the water gets too cold and we have to go back up in the rivers feeding fest.

http://imgur.com/a/5gY1I

Limit in Florida is 5 a day and only one over 20" Those 5 are between 16-19" and I threw back 4 more over 20" in the span of about an hour.

Where in FL are.you?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Well we switched from fall fishing to winter fishing pretty quickly here in MN. We have about 6" of snow on the ground with more falling now, and the temps are supposed to bottom out at about 4 degrees later this week. I'm excited for the ice fishing season, but holy crap, it's likely there will be walkable ice this weekend :psyduck:.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

DoctaFun posted:

Well we switched from fall fishing to winter fishing pretty quickly here in MN. We have about 6" of snow on the ground with more falling now, and the temps are supposed to bottom out at about 4 degrees later this week. I'm excited for the ice fishing season, but holy crap, it's likely there will be walkable ice this weekend :psyduck:.

Wow, i'm jealous, i live near Stockholm, a city which shares latitude with Juneau, and we are in the middle of November and it's +10 degrees centigrade. Right now only wearing a fleece shirt is enough to keep me comfortable outside. Last winter was so crappy that we didn't get a full thick enough layer of ice on our main lake, which used to be the norm. I hope this winter will be different, and this early winter "heat wave" is foreshadowing a really cold winter.

I love ice fishing, as it combines my favorite pasttimes of skiing/tour skating and fishing. Pretty much the only way i stay in shape during the dark depressing winter months.
Plus boat-less as i am, i can get to all the good spots that normally would require one.

Ice-fishing is the bomb! Beautiful foresty surroundings on a icy lake, good exercise getting there by skiis/skate, plus some workout from constantly drilling holes.
Nothing better than returning to the cosy warmth of your home from a good fishing and skiing/skating session, all exhausted, with fresh fish to enjoy later.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 11, 2014

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

swickles posted:

Where in FL are.you?

Tally. Those were caught at the St Marks Lighthouse.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Farking Bastage posted:

Tally. Those were caught at the St Marks Lighthouse.

Man I hope the Pensacola fishing is that good. I'll be stuck their for six months starting January

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Man I hope the Pensacola fishing is that good. I'll be stuck their for six months starting January

The flats will be dead from about December till march. Go way up in the rivers that emptry into the bays and the fish will be there. Water temps <50 will straight up kill a trout and make reds lethargic as hell. Offshore is pretty good on the reefs in winter though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Farking Bastage posted:

The flats will be dead from about December till march. Go way up in the rivers that emptry into the bays and the fish will be there. Water temps <50 will straight up kill a trout and make reds lethargic as hell. Offshore is pretty good on the reefs in winter though.

Oh? I may have to talk to you further once I get their and figure out my transportation options.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Can i fish trout with my cheap and average spinning rod which i use typically for pike, perch and zander? I've been thinking of giving it a try, since i've never done it before and where i live they migrate to my area during winter. Most people around here fly fish for trout, but i don't have any of that stuff.

edit: when i say trout i mean the species Salmo trutta trutta (sea trout). During trout season we also get salmon (Salmo salar) although they are comparatively rarer.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 11, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I use an inexpensive ugly stick and shimano rig to throw rappalla surface plugs on the Madison river in Montana and caught stuff all day. Don't let the fly fishermen stop you from doing your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Golbez
Sep 13, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Have boat access? The spring cobia migration and the start of the FL state waters red snapper season are things you won't want to miss. There is good surf fishing to be had as well.