Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SoulChicken posted:

I have much more sadbrain in the winter too, I was fine when I lived in LA for 2 years. Living in nyc, Boston and London causes my sadbrain time to go through the roof. Was thinking about getting one of those lights, that model costs twice as much in England though.

By sadbrain I mean my sad brain. Is that actually a common slur? I could think of many more hurtful words ignorant assholes could use.

They have lights for depression now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

Captain Invictus posted:

They have lights for depression now?

Not for regular depression, but for seasonal affective disorder. Where I live, direct sunlight is hard to come by in the fall and winter since it's pretty much always cloudy and gray until April. These lights are tuned and balanced to emulate sunlight without UV radiation.

I sprung for a light after several years of worsening wintersadness, and it's already helped my overall energy level and sleep pattern. I understand if people think this is a voodoo garbage scam. I did too, until I decided to give it a shot.

I'm all of a sudden very self conscious about starting/contributing to this derail.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Kevin (from Video Games Hot Dog) used one of those lights when he was living in Chicago. I think the voodoo concerns are overblown. I mean, everybody admits that the SUN does stuff, and this is a device that simulates the sun in obviously real and measurable ways. It'd be like saying that artificial lights used to grow plants are a scam.

This is relevant to the thread because it is about a video game podcaster.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
Why are goons talking like scientifically demonstrable vitamin d deficiency and treatments are dark magic? This is really basic to understand.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Song For The Deaf posted:

Not for regular depression, but for seasonal affective disorder. Where I live, direct sunlight is hard to come by in the fall and winter since it's pretty much always cloudy and gray until April. These lights are tuned and balanced to emulate sunlight without UV radiation.

I sprung for a light after several years of worsening wintersadness, and it's already helped my overall energy level and sleep pattern. I understand if people think this is a voodoo garbage scam. I did too, until I decided to give it a shot.

I'm all of a sudden very self conscious about starting/contributing to this derail.

lizzyinthesky posted:

Why are goons talking like scientifically demonstrable vitamin d deficiency and treatments are dark magic? This is really basic to understand.

....that's not how you produce vitamin d...

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I'm the only person acting that way here, out of a misguided notion that the statement "I think this light makes me feel better" is a goofy thing to say. I got preemptively defensive.

Vitamin D didn't come up in anything I read about SAD, so I don't think that's a part of this light treatment. I do like the idea of a light that keeps rickets at bay, though.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

I'm the only person acting that way here, out of a misguided notion that the statement "I think this light makes me feel better" is a goofy thing to say. I got preemptively defensive.

Vitamin D didn't come up in anything I read about SAD, so I don't think that's a part of this light treatment.
I do like the idea of a light that keeps rickets at bay, though.

that was the point i was (badly) trying to make :)

just keep using your goofy light, if it helps

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I was wondering why there's no new Bonfireside Chat episodes until I checked the website. That's what I get for relying on emails :v:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I have been interested in trying a SAD light - until I saw that they cost like $100. I almost won one in a raffle, once.

They do seem kinda goofy - I've spent time working at peolpes' desks who had them, and they're kind of offensively bright, but I'd be willing to give it a try because in oregon, winters get pretty "sad".. Once it starts raining and simply doesn't stop for 4 months, it can be unpleasant to put up with.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

coyo7e posted:

I have been interested in trying a SAD light - until I saw that they cost like $100. I almost won one in a raffle, once.

They do seem kinda goofy - I've spent time working at peolpes' desks who had them, and they're kind of offensively bright, but I'd be willing to give it a try because in oregon, winters get pretty "sad".. Once it starts raining and simply doesn't stop for 4 months, it can be unpleasant to put up with.

Get out of Oregon, non native. If you don't get excited once the rain starts you don't belong here.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I was born in Humboldt county in the redwoods right on the coast, so for me the trees make up for the rain. And I like moss. And ferns. And mushrooms. And salmon.. :D I think I'd have trouble living somewhere where I wasn't within an hour or two of the coastline. :)

It takes a lot of rain to be able to see stuff like this at will :)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 26, 2014

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Al! posted:

Get out of Oregon, non native. If you don't get excited once the rain starts you don't belong here.

I more or less never want to see the sun again. Not kidding.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Woffle posted:

I more or less never want to see the sun again. Not kidding.

The great thing about Portland weather is it barely ever storms here. It's more like living in a produce misting rack for six months a year.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Storms are cool though?

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I'm into storms and they're rare here, sadly, but they do happen. I'll take my misting rack.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
As an english person oregon always sounded nice to me for some reason.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Don't feel bad about talking about your weird brain. At this point I don't remember the specifics, but there was that one time you talked about having a system set up to remind you to do all kinds of stuff, and that got me looking for options like that and actually getting my poo poo not so much "in order" as "less not together". Now my phone nags me about cleaning the bathroom or changing the sheets or whatever else inertia and procrastination kept stopping me from handling like an adult. So basically weirdbrains unite I guess?

Jippa posted:

As an english person oregon always sounded nice to me for some reason.
If y'all's attraction to New Zealand is anything to go by, it's because it's like England but with occasional sunshine.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Is the SAD light supposed to be effective because of wavelength, brightness, or a combination thereof? If it's wavelength, you should look into replacing all your bulbs with Daylight CFL's. You can get a pack of four 60 watt equivalents for like $10, and they really do look like natural daylight. They make the days feel longer if you turn on the lights inside as soon as it gets near twilight. There have been multiple times that I'll go by a room and wonder why the hell the sun is coming in that room so much more than all the others, only to realize it's not natural light. Then again, I'm just a simple caveman who doesn't understand your fire-less lights, so YMMV.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

My understanding is that it's a combination of wavelength, brightness, and the amount of time you use it that makes it work. It's also my understanding that too much exposure to blue light before bed will really mess with your sleep, so I'm trying to cut down on that as well. In general I've been getting to sleep earlier (on non-recording nights) and waking up earlier.

I've tried using daylight-balanced LEDs and CFLs, but they hurt my eyes. Anything that doesn't mimic warm incandescent light makes me edgy and makes all of my rooms look like cube farms. Daylight balanced lights also compete with screens and contribute a lot to room glare... and I can't have my lights interferin' with my gamin'!

Thanks for proposing an alternative, but it's always a bad idea to bet against how picky I can be about things.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

What are some good "edited" podcasts? I'm not interested in a bunch of folks yammering away for an hour and a half or talking about the latest news and previews. I'm more into something akin to a longform article about video games but in podcast format. PC leaning if available.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bouchacha posted:

What are some good "edited" podcasts? I'm not interested in a bunch of folks yammering away for an hour and a half or talking about the latest news and previews. I'm more into something akin to a longform article about video games but in podcast format. PC leaning if available.

Idle Thumbs.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Phone posted:

Idle Thumbs.

Idle Thumbs is great and all, but it's not really what he's looking for.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bouchacha posted:

http://alifewellwasted.com/

Other than this there really isn't much else in terms of game podcasts.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The only thing that really springs to mind for me is Giant Bomb's Interview Dumptruck, but "edited" might be overly generous there. I'm absolutely sure I'm forgetting something though. Maybe Tone Control? Although that's apparently on some form of hiatus or something.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

These are all edited rather than being long free-form chat show hyuk hyuk style, but I have no idea if they're what dude is looking for:

The Game That Got Away
Unlimited Hyperbole
Game Boy Crammer (maybe)
A Life Well Wasted
Quality Control
Extended Memory

edit: I wouldn't mind seeing more podcasts like The Game That Got Away and Unlimited Hyperbole, shorter focused talk about older/nostalgia games, esp PC games. Chat about new games centers mostly around whether they're fun and novel or not, old games chat is more about how games make you feel versus how they once felt, and their place in a historical context, which is kinda more interesting to me these days.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 27, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Oh poo poo I'm an rear end in a top hat, how could I forget - depending on what kind of content you're after, there's always Retronauts, Watch Out for Fireballs, and Abject Suffering, and while it's not normally game related, the Overthinking It Book Club is currently doing Final Fantasy VI.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I was going to say that A Life Well Wasted is exactly what I'm looking for, but the guy ran out of steam after only 6 episodes back in 2010. He did come out with one last episode two years ago.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

Oh poo poo I'm an rear end in a top hat, how could I forget - depending on what kind of content you're after, there's always Retronauts, Watch Out for Fireballs, and Abject Suffering

Also: Check It Out, Comrade!

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

In general I've been getting to sleep earlier (on non-recording nights)...

You have non-recording nights???? I am in awe of how much quality material duckfeed puts out, so I don't believe you.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

SoulChicken posted:

You have non-recording nights???? I am in awe of how much quality material duckfeed puts out, so I don't believe you.

Non-recording nights are generally edit nights, assignment play nights, note nights, or vaguely-defined "admin" nights.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Thanks for all the suggestions by the way, I'll give some a listen and see how well they pan out. I keep adding podcasts, even though I have apparently 217 hours of listening on backlog.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Non-recording nights are generally edit nights, assignment play nights, note nights, or vaguely-defined "admin" nights.

I am convinced you gentlemen have no time for social engagements since I only ever recall you taking a break when you were in a fuckin car accident. I appreciate the quality and quantity of content but I hope both of you aren't neglecting a social calendar for it. That'd make me frown town.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Captain Internet posted:

I am convinced you gentlemen have no time for social engagements since I only ever recall you taking a break when you were in a fuckin car accident. I appreciate the quality and quantity of content but I hope both of you aren't neglecting a social calendar for it. That'd make me frown town.

I'm mildly social. I've got a girlfriend and a weekly table top game night. But that's more or less it.

EDIT: So I guess that means Frown Village or the Frown Reststop.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 28, 2014

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Captain Internet posted:

I don't have a satisfactory response to this.

Adding up the time commitment for the network, it regularly approaches having a second full time job. Most of our income goes right back into the network, so my draw from the proceeds doesn't even come close to matching my day job income. That means I won't be doing JUST podcasting, which would free up about 50 hours a week, any time soon.

I'm either preternaturally tolerant of isolation or I don't know any better because I've been doing this for pretty much my entire adult life.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

I don't have a satisfactory response to this.

Adding up the time commitment for the network, it regularly approaches having a second full time job. Most of our income goes right back into the network, so my draw from the proceeds doesn't even come close to matching my day job income. That means I won't be doing JUST podcasting, which would free up about 50 hours a week, any time soon.

I'm either preternaturally tolerant of isolation or I don't know any better because I've been doing this for pretty much my entire adult life.

Well, this post got me to chip in to your Patreon for whatever that's worth. Keep on keepin' on guys.

I there an origin story for that wacky duckfeed name btw?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Thank you very much for backing us.

re: the Duckfeed name, that's come up a lot recently. Way back on the first episode of Those drat Ross Kids (when that was just my second show...) we made a goof about making up new folksy sayings/idioms. I posited "feeding ducks" as a new way of saying "I'm just spitballing here" or "I'm throwing out ideas to see what sticks." "I'm feeding ducks" means I'm throwing something out and seeing what gets snapped up.

When I got it in my head to start a network, I was looking for a name and "feeding ducks" bubbled to the top. "Feed" worked because of RSS/podcast feeds. "Duck" worked for a weirder reason: I like birds. The combination served as a callback to one of our shows, and was "fanciful" enough to serve as a memorable proper name for a business.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
Favorite bird in a Video Game? (Excluding duck from duck hunt)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SoulChicken posted:

Favorite bird in a Video Game? (Excluding duck from duck hunt)

I think they made it quite clear that Crow from The Longest Journey is their favorite anything.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

As a species, it's a tossup between Cuckoos from Zelda or Chocobos from Final Fantasy.

For a specific bird, it would have to be the raven that picks you up from the Asylum in Dark Souls. Thing's bad rear end.

EDIT: God dammit, I forgot about Crow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What about Kazooie

• Locked thread