Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Splatoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fix posted:

So what's the next big thing after Smash/Captain Toad? Not like I won't have hundreds of hours of stuff to play between what I have and some Wii backlog.

Nintendo-published games announced for next year:

Splatoon
Yoshi Wooly World
Zelda U
Starfox U
Mario Maker
Devil's Third
Kirby Rainbow Curse
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Mario Party 10
Mario vs. Donkey Kong U

Aside from those, you're basically looking at eShop games and nothing else because third-party retail support is completely hosed from here on out. Watchdogs and Sonic Boom are the last non-casual retail games worth caring about, offhand.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh yeah, I know generally the sorts of things that were at E3 and whatnot, but in terms of actual release order, do we know anything specific beyond Captain Toad?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fix posted:

Oh yeah, I know generally the sorts of things that were at E3 and whatnot, but in terms of actual release order, do we know anything specific beyond Captain Toad?

A few games were "early 2015' or "first half 2015" instead of just 2015 but no, not really. Nintendo only ever drops dates a couple months in advance, it seems.

I think Splatoon, Mario Maker and Yoshi were supposed to be earlier releases, and Miyamoto said he wanted Starfox out by next year's E3.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There'll probably be a Direct near the start of 2015 that gives a better idea of the shape of the schedule. There's usually a drought after the holidays, though. And NOA's probably going to focus more on New 3DS at that time.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Austrian mook posted:

Paper Mario TTYD is the best RPG ever made.

So I really loved Super Mario RPG and N64 Paper Mario. Last year I bought Super Paper Mario on Wii off of SaMart and I couldn't stand it. Is TTYD better than the Wii one and more like the N64 one?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, i had forgotten just how bad the QTEs in Bayonetta were. It's amazing that a game this good also somehow has the distinction of probably having some of the worst QTEs ever.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

TTYD is a superior version of Paper Mario 64

it's nothing like the wii one, it's much better

so much better

It's really good

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

davey4283 posted:

So I really loved Super Mario RPG and N64 Paper Mario. Last year I bought Super Paper Mario on Wii off of SaMart and I couldn't stand it. Is TTYD better than the Wii one and more like the N64 one?

Yes.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

axleblaze posted:

Man, i had forgotten just how bad the QTEs in Bayonetta were. It's amazing that a game this good also somehow has the distinction of probably having some of the worst QTEs ever.

So funny story, in chapter 2 I messed up the QTE in the final fight with the two-headed dragon twice, and ended up not continuing because I figured it tanked my score anyway and I could probably do better by replaying the stage knowing what's coming. Somehow it was even harder the second time, it took even longer, and I didn't realize the QTE I kept messing up was literally the last thing to do in the stage. :suicide:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

davey4283 posted:

Yes. Super Paper Mario us just sort of a bad game that you can either look at as a platformer with the pace of a turned based RPG or an RPG with the depth of a platformer. TTYD plays like the sequel to Paper Mario. I don't like nearly as much as mist people seem to, but it's still solid and WAY better than SPM in pretty much every way.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

davey4283 posted:

yes. It's the game you're looking for. I liked Super for what it was but it's got some big issues. I seriously wasn't kidding TTYD is a goddamn masterpiece.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Austrian mook posted:

yes. It's the game you're looking for. I liked Super for what it was but it's got some big issues. I seriously wasn't kidding TTYD is a goddamn masterpiece.

Makes me glad I found my copy for 5 bucks.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

poo poo got real for me in bayonetta as soon as I hit chapter 4. Jesus that boss was an rear end in a top hat. Then I discovered the secret verses in chapter 5 and spent about an hour getting real good at witch time. If you need practice, go find verse 3's alfheim and clear it. It'll take a while if you're rough at witch time. It's a hidden challenge verse where you can only hurt enemies in witch time. Hope you liked grace and glory, they're in there :D

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 25, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Dunno about Pro Controller, but this Energizer one seems pretty legit.

That's a start I suppose--thanks--but arsing hell Nintendo so many peripherals and so many charging cables and why aren't they at least the same USB spec. t:(

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Wild Knight posted:

So funny story, in chapter 2 I messed up the QTE in the final fight with the two-headed dragon twice, and ended up not continuing because I figured it tanked my score anyway and I could probably do better by replaying the stage knowing what's coming. Somehow it was even harder the second time, it took even longer, and I didn't realize the QTE I kept messing up was literally the last thing to do in the stage. :suicide:

The same poo poo shows up in Chapter 3, which has like 10 or 11 verses. I was likely on my way to platinum the chapter, when I hosed up a pointless QTE. Or maybe it was the pointless bridge-falling-apart platforming part. Dying to poo poo like that shouldn't count as a continue...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

enojy posted:

The same poo poo shows up in Chapter 3, which has like 10 or 11 verses. I was likely on my way to platinum the chapter, when I hosed up a pointless QTE. Or maybe it was the pointless bridge-falling-apart platforming part. Dying to poo poo like that shouldn't count as a continue...

I love Platinum games, but it's bullshit like that and failing no-hit runs in MGR due to machine gun fire from across the screen that makes me not give a drat about getting good ranks in them.

EDIT:
And falling through the bridge in the MC sequence.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The one genuinely bad thing about Bayonetta is the bullshit insta-kill QTE events that are really tight timing-wise. Chapter 3 is particularly egregious for this, and teh end of Chapter 2 for that matter.

God drat I had forgotten how hard this is. I've managed to get solid Golds in every Chapter but two, 2 and 5 (and 2 only because of a QTE death at the end). 5 has always been my least favorite level, loving Grace and Glory. and those goddamn flying stingray guys too AND it's super long and has two minibosses AND an actual boss.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Vegastar posted:

It's a hidden challenge verse where you can only hurt enemies in witch time. Hope you liked grace and glory, they're in there :D

That's basically the way I deal with Grace and Glory anyway. Dodge around like it's all I know how to do and deal damage from the safety of Witch Time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The one genuinely bad thing about Bayonetta is the bullshit insta-kill QTE events that are really tight timing-wise. Chapter 3 is particularly egregious for this, and teh end of Chapter 2 for that matter.

God drat I had forgotten how hard this is. I've managed to get solid Golds in every Chapter but two, 2 and 5 (and 2 only because of a QTE death at the end). 5 has always been my least favorite level, loving Grace and Glory. and those goddamn flying stingray guys too AND it's super long and has two minibosses AND an actual boss.

They wouldn't be nearly as bad if they weren't loving randomized each time. I generally don't mind QTE's, so long as the inputs are relative to their usual buttons (jump button for BIG DRAMATIC JUMP, etc).

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Bayonetta 2 is gorgeous and awesome. :magical: Good god that Rodin is a suave mf. I am so going to enjoy playing this.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Renoistic posted:

failing no-hit runs in MGR due to machine gun fire from across the screen

I get where you're coming fron but Raiden literally autoblocks bullets while running

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Darth TNT posted:

Bayonetta 2 is gorgeous and awesome. :magical: Good god that Rodin is a suave mf. I am so going to enjoy playing this.

I like everything about Bayonetta 2. It really deserves all those 10/10s from what I've played.

Loki is an annoying little dick though. I hope I get to kick his rear end or something.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They wouldn't be nearly as bad if they weren't loving randomized each time.

They aren't. Different QTEs will use different buttons, but for example that first one with the dragon head will always be Y.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Suaimhneas posted:

They aren't. Different QTEs will use different buttons, but for example that first one with the dragon head will always be Y.

They were in the 360 version of Bayonetta for some of them like the lava flow jumps.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Really? I'm pretty sure they weren't on PS3.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
They are defintely not random but sometimes it's almost impossible to figure out the button and timing without dying the first time, like after the dragon boss fight.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
So while all of you play Bayonetta, I started playing Super Mario Galaxy based on the recommendations here, and it's sooooo good. I definitely like it better than Super Mario 3D world, and hope they do something similar as the next Wii U mario game.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I played the Bayo 2 demo last night and I have no idea what I experienced. But it was fun to play and look at. Are the Bayo games like God of War in that you unlock more moves/weapons as you progress through the game? I've ne'er played a Platinum game to the best of my knowledge.

Is the entire game just the most over the top, insane, crazy poo poo like the demo was? If so sign me up!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Wildtortilla posted:

I played the Bayo 2 demo last night and I have no idea what I experienced. But it was fun to play and look at. Are the Bayo games like God of War in that you unlock more moves/weapons as you progress through the game? I've ne'er played a Platinum game to the best of my knowledge.

Is the entire game just the most over the top, insane, crazy poo poo like the demo was? If so sign me up!

There's an in-game store that lets you buy attacks using the currency dropped by enemies. It also lets you buy whole new weapons after a certain point of the game.

And yeah, the whole game is crazy much like the demo. In fact, the rest of the game makes the demo look relatively tame. :v:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Pac-man in Smash, Bayonetta on Wii U, what a wondrous time to be gaming :unsmith:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

For Bayonetta, the question if something can get more over the top the answer is always yes. Flying on a jet? Just add a giant monster. Giant monster in the way, just add some slow motion stripping set to Jpop. Not enough how about we add some extra explosions and a falling building.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Regarding the Bayonetta 1 QTEs, on 360 at least they are random but with only one or possibly two variations for each one. Certain very dramatic ones are pre-set though. RE4 is the same way.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I pre-ordered Bayonetta 1&2 on Amazon (along with W101), it only shipped on Friday afternoon, and Monday is a bank holiday here so I won't get it until at least Tuesday. This is the worst day ever. :(

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I was noting before that I tried the Bayonetta demo, but being an old man who gets upset and confused by games with more than one button and the pants the youth of today wear I didn't like it. I tried again, and now want to ask some sort of basic questions about the genre. What is it that I want to do:
  • Does the choice of combo matter? In what way? Are juggles the important bit or is there some mechanic for enemies getting interrupted by some and not others?
  • What positioning am I looking for? Confusingly it seems like being in the middle of a bunch of enemies works really well since you can toss the attacks between them, but the classic logic would be to get all on one side?

The pieces I get is to dodge/jump/just strike according to enemy telegraphs, but I am not really sure what I am doing on any higher level, which makes it seem bland. As I die quickly I imagine I am just not getting what the game is expecting of me though.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I was always mystified by why people hated Route 666 in Bayonetta so much since it's so rad and the music is dope fresh to the max. Now I remember. So somehow crashing into a car from behind is fine but from in front is instant death. Okay.

But they did add motion controls to it which is kind of neato. You can switch to the original method too (and you prolly should).

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Girlfriend is playing Bayonetta 1 right now and holy poo poo the Wii U disc drive is making a lot of noise, mostly during cutscenes. Anyone else getting that?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I was always mystified by why people hated Route 666 in Bayonetta so much since it's so rad and the music is dope fresh to the max. Now I remember. So somehow crashing into a car from behind is fine but from in front is instant death. Okay.

But they did add motion controls to it which is kind of neato. You can switch to the original method too (and you prolly should).

Route 666 is a blast until you get near the end where the monster destroys part of the bridge and all the bridge parts pieces are breaking off and you have to make really sharp turns or you'll fly off. I went from going THIS IS AWESOOOOOME to going COME THE gently caress ON. I'm loving the game, but there are certain points, especially the QTE things that I have not failed to die on at least once with each one. They come so quick and you can't react fast enough before you're dead. That and the enemies feel kind of repetitive after a while.

It succeeds in like everything else it does though so, hopefully Bayo 2 fixes those flaws.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I loved Route 666, but mainly because the After Burner theme is ultra rad.

I have my complaints with Bayo 1 but when my biggest complaint is that my GamePad's battery started dying right when I was going to do a Jeanne fight I think the good outweighs the bad. Hurry up and charge, I want to do that fight! :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
There's nothing stopping you from playing while charging.

• Locked thread