Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Naerasa posted:

This is truth. Caster's final quest for the ultimate 'cool' (destroying the whole city) was the best kind of ridiculous.

You cannot post this and not provide visual proof of the GREATEST COOL. :frogc00l:

Tarezax posted:

Watching this week's episode got me in the mood to draw a bit.

This is a pretty boss drawing. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Has there been any old music so far? I want to say it's been all pretty solid new stuff so far.

Pretty sure a few tracks use parts of the old music.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Heh, I was wondering why they had him walking around while that was never even implied in the VN. That callback to Zero is a nice addition and I hope they have more coming.

.Clash posted:

Pretty sure a few tracks use parts of the old music.

Where is my Church on the Hill 2014 remix. :argh:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 20, 2014

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

it seems that this episode (like the 2 previous ones) had some cuts made for time constraints.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
The animators are not being kind to Rin's face. That's fine as long as the budget is going to the fights (which it totally is), but you'd think that they would care more about the heroine.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yeah, I miss the scene where Rin fixes Shirou's glass window with magic. Helps set up how incompetent Shirou is with magecraft and leads into a Fate primer on magic, as well.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 20, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

YggdrasilTM posted:

it seems that this episode (like the 2 previous ones) had some cuts made for time constraints.
I suppose this explains the really awkward transition this time around from the cold open into the opening.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

HellCopter posted:

The animators are not being kind to Rin's face. That's fine as long as the budget is going to the fights (which it totally is), but you'd think that they would care more about the heroine.

Last time I was on 4chan, there was a pretty fleshed-out conspiracy theory about the lead animator being a Sakura fan and sabotaging Rin's face. I wish that was how the anime industry actually operated, like production ceases around episode ten because there was a rumble between rival gangs at ufotable, and the winners had half the series rewritten to star their waifu.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's not?

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
If it is, then I'm really looking forward to the rest of Shirobako.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

In this episode of Fate/Stay Night, an Archer uses a bow.

A series first?!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I forget if Ilya revealed Berserker's identity during this fight in the VN. Pretty amazing fight, all in all, and some extras thrown in by Ufotable off of Nasu's prompting (IIRC) made this episode even better. Some nice callbacks to Zero as well, especially with Ilya's abilities, as well as Saber's look of regret when Ilya introduced herself. Poor Rin, using two gems like that and not even getting a kill on Berserker out of it. Still, having Saber manage to take off a life with Strike Air was pretty cool. Pretty much what I wanted this episode to be after building up all that hype from the end of last episode.

Apparently, next episode has Saber making an appearance in Shirou's school, if we are to take Kuzuki's comment about a foreign transfer student in the preview at face value.

Some people on 4chan have already made .webms of Archer launching his Caladbolg II arrow and its impact plus that smirk of his afterwards.

Here's some quick gifs of the battle:

Plus this:

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 25, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

shirou's anus is defenseless

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

I forget if Ilya revealed Berserker's identity during this fight in the VN

Yeah, she did. In fact, one of the first thing she says to Shirou / Rin / Saber is announcing to the three of them that she summoned Hercules, the strongest Servant possible, and they're basically completely hosed.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Sylphid posted:

Yeah, she did. In fact, one of the first thing she says to Shirou / Rin / Saber is announcing to the three of them that she summoned Hercules, the strongest Servant possible, and they're basically completely hosed.

Huh, wonder why they cut it out of this episode then.

Also, UTW sub of episode 1 is finally out if you were waiting on that.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 25, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This was a good episode of everyone throwing poo poo at each other and Berserker's impressive breakdancing skills.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
OK, that was pretty awesome.

Comparing this show to Fate/Zero—my only point of reference not counting the UBW movie and word of mouth—it does a much better job of showing that, holy poo poo, Servants are on a completely different level.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I haven't seen Zero yet, but were those birds in FZ because they were not in the VN yet they look familiar.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Some more gifs:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

My knowledge of the TypeMooniverse is superficial at best and it sure seems to come with some baggage, but god drat I love the fights UFOtable puts together.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

PunkBoy posted:

Some more gifs:

These are the gifs that made me think, "This... this is a good episode."

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

Bholder posted:

I haven't seen Zero yet, but were those birds in FZ because they were not in the VN yet they look familiar.

Yeah, it's the same kind of magic Iris uses in Zero.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bholder posted:

Irisviel used one against Kirei.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I think this episode had the best fight choreography I've seen in many years, if not ever!

Now why is Shirou convulsing?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Some more gifs:

the fights in this rule and there are a number of scenes I'm looking forward to seeing animated, considering just how good the average fights have been adapted so far.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
People dump on Takeuchi for making Saber his waifu, but her design looks amazing when properly animated like this.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That episode kind of owned.

Did Archer's arrow at the end remove one of Berserker's lives?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Also they seemed to have found out how to animate Rin's face.

Will it last?!

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Grouchio posted:

I think this episode had the best fight choreography I've seen in many years, if not ever!

I think he got hit by some rock shrapnel or something, I forget for sure though.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
That was an incredible fight. This adaption owns.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Everything about this episode owned.

Rin vs Ilya was 100% original and it turned out pretty drat well.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Woo, at last Shirou is no longer motivated by misogyny....

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
I did not remember the Ilya x Rin fight from the VN. It was awesome. These 25 minutes went by in a blink of an eye.

rvm
May 6, 2013
I don't think I've seen better animated fight scenes, ever. This loving anime, man. They did a really good job showing that servants are indeed on completely different level (without telling it approx. 1 gazillion times like in VN).

Rin vs Illya fight was also great in that it gave Rin more stuff to do and establish a continuity between F/Z and F/S/N Illya which should make the story more compelling for people coming from F/Z.

rvm fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 25, 2014

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Grouchio posted:

He took shrapnel in the back from Archer's Caladbolg II nuke.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Saber's "Oh gently caress" reaction to hearing Ilya's last name was great.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I especially liked that the episode clearly showed the two different styles of using gems and making autonomous servants in that fight. Also, the amount of movement is great too. No scene seems too static, which is always great, especially if it creates silliness like in Fate/Zero.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kubla Khan posted:

I did not remember the Ilya x Rin fight from the VN. It was awesome. These 25 minutes went by in a blink of an eye.

It didn't happen in the VN.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah, I think Nasu wrote it specifically for the ufotable staff to animate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

I know, that's why it was so awesome! Like actually showing Ilya's strength as a mage instead of having us to fill in the 'why doesn't Archer just snipe her off' sort-of-plothole for ourselves.

• Locked thread