Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Haven't posted here in a while, but we got a new camera and a new dog! (In March)

Meet Killik, Alaskan Husky

He was a working sled dog out in rural Alaska, hauling freight and lumber. He developed a severe eye infection, had his left eye removed, and was retired.

We adopted him from the rescue in March.

We were afraid he would be a crazy and wild husky, but he's super chill and plays well with our other woolly husky Laika

The wife and I have been taking them everywhere. Muddy trails

Forests

Muddy Forests

Mountain tops

Valleys

Creeks

So refreshing

He's actually pretty amazing off leash, doesn't wander away, and usually sticks right by your side. He's more annoying when leashed and harnessed up because he just wants to pull your rear end in a straight line. It should be fun this winter, might actually try some ski-jouring with him because he's pretty drat strong.

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Hi guys I'm still alive and so is Kaidan

Hij
May 29, 2005

Oh boy, ever since Adama turned 2 years old in January he has definitely started that "bitchy teenager" phase... although honestly it's less "bitchy teenager" and more "cranky old man". If it's past 10pm and people are still making noise and/or interacting with him, he gets MAD. No biting or anything like that, but startlingly sudden and loud growls and yowls and other complaint-sounding vocalizations. Even before 10pm, people making loud noises like laughing/singing/yelling - or making flamboyant gestures - experience a basenji running at them, stopping a few feet away, and yodeling/growling/complaining at them as loud as he can in his very best pissed-off voice, as if to say "STOP SCREWIN' AROUND".

Anyway, not too terribly alarming (though I'll be keeping an eye on it and keeping him away from those late-night stressful situations in case the crankyness excalates), it was just intriguing to me that he went from angelic puppy to crotchety old man in a matter of months! And don't misinterpret me - apart from the above on occasion, he's still SO well behaved and friendly and chill, especially for a basenji!

I mean, just look at that smiling face.

And Bob the cat still loves him, old man or not.

But seriously - quit screwin' around. He's trying to sleep.

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009
I've seen at least one Eskie in this thread - do Japanese Spitzes count? They are a spitz breed but a modern one (developed in the 1920s I think).

My Luna LOVES people though. But she is a bit aloof with other dogs. The greatest tragedy in her life is that the cats won't play with her. Everyone mistakes her for a Samoyed and ask me things about how she must get dirty easily (dirt just falls off her fur and she keeps her wee paws pretty clean) and what colour she'll be when she grows up (what?). But mostly they say LOOKATTHEFLUFFYPUPPY!!!1

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Someone mentioning shiba halloween costumes reminded me of this:

An entry into a local pet costume competition

Hij
May 29, 2005

Oh hey, that also reminded me that last year I made Adama a costume of his namesake:

Now we just need to get his Admiral William Adama "dog tags" engraved with his info so we can actually use them as, uh, dog tags.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Japanese Spitz! :3:

I always wondered what the difference between Eskies and JSpitzes were, is it just size? I think Eskies tend to be bigger?

Hmm, I should dig out some old halloween pictures...

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009

paisleyfox posted:

Japanese Spitz! :3:

I always wondered what the difference between Eskies and JSpitzes were, is it just size? I think Eskies tend to be bigger?

I'm not 100%, but I think they are pretty much the same (same as the mini eskies, anyway). Developed in different continents but very similar, and possibly cross-contaminated after WW2. I think it's difficult to find eskies outside of America, and difficult to find J-spitzes in the US because the AKC thinks they are too similar to be considered a separate breed. I finally met a lady at the dog park yesterday who knew Luna was a Spitz :3: I have to keep explaining to people 'they're kind of like a really small Samoyed, only pointier...'.

More pics because I can't help it :3:

She's got the 'Muuum stop embarrassing me' face down pat:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

SRS EYEBROWS

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Moto Punch posted:

I'm not 100%, but I think they are pretty much the same (same as the mini eskies, anyway). Developed in different continents but very similar, and possibly cross-contaminated after WW2. I think it's difficult to find eskies outside of America, and difficult to find J-spitzes in the US because the AKC thinks they are too similar to be considered a separate breed. I finally met a lady at the dog park yesterday who knew Luna was a Spitz :3: I have to keep explaining to people 'they're kind of like a really small Samoyed, only pointier...'.

More pics because I can't help it :3:

She's got the 'Muuum stop embarrassing me' face down pat:

Honestly, I have never seen anything that indicates that you can tell them apart by looking. I call mine an eskie, but who knows.

Yours is adorable by the way. :3 She seems to have a springier tail than mine.

Here is my little crazyface:

IMG_9287 by Kiri koli, on Flickr

Her tail is very flat on her butt:

Pre-Blizzard Snow Shananigans by Kiri koli, on Flickr

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009

Kiri koli posted:

Honestly, I have never seen anything that indicates that you can tell them apart by looking. I call mine an eskie, but who knows.

Yours is adorable by the way. :3 She seems to have a springier tail than mine.

Here is my little crazyface:

IMG_9287 by Kiri koli, on Flickr

Her tail is very flat on her butt:

Pre-Blizzard Snow Shananigans by Kiri koli, on Flickr

eee fluffdog! :D Oh I wish I could take her to the snow some day. Her tail might get a little looser looking as it gets bigger/floofier. She holds it differently depending on her mood anyway. If she sees something she really wants to go after (like one of the cats if they're running) it curls up really tight - I never cared much for spitz-type tails until I saw her do that :3: Also, the butt-fur divot she has where her tail usually sits makes me want to laugh every time I see it.

Hanging loose:

Focused:

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

I also love the butt-fur divot :D. My absolute favorite thing is when she wakes up from a nap. She gets up with a completely relaxed tail and then does her downward facing dog stretch and her tail goes whooooop, up and over onto her back. Its adorable. :3

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Kiri koli posted:

I also love the butt-fur divot :D. My absolute favorite thing is when she wakes up from a nap. She gets up with a completely relaxed tail and then does her downward facing dog stretch and her tail goes whooooop, up and over onto her back. Its adorable. :3

A friend of mine has a Norwegian Elkhound and it's hilarious when they come back from a walk - or even better, a hunt - she'll be so exhausted that she'll just find a good spot to go full fur rug on. Flat on her belly, every paw sticking out into its own direction, even her tail uncurls. It's very adorable, especially if you go give her a scratch behind the ear, she won't even react much to you being there.. other than that tail slowwwwwwly curling back up on her back and giving a wag.

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009

Kiri koli posted:

She gets up with a completely relaxed tail and then does her downward facing dog stretch and her tail goes whooooop, up and over onto her back. Its adorable. :3

This needs to exist in gif form :staredog:

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Moto Punch posted:

Mona does this too and it's probably the cutest thing ever :).

Edit: whoops, wrong quote but you get what I'm saying.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

Moto Punch posted:

I try to get videos of her cuteness, but she is less than cooperative when I pull out a camera (and she knows my phone is a camera because magicdog). :(

Rawress
Feb 6, 2008

I will eat you alive.
My shiba doesn't understand clothing or harnesses. He just stands there and stares at you in confusion, kind of like when you put a post-it note on a cat.

He has super cute urajiro, like a bowtie, almost. Red sesames are so purty.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
They really are, it's a gorgeous colour.

There's a couple around my house that owns a three-month-old Alaskan Malamute x Shar Pei. :psyduck: I have no idea how that cross happened, but she looks exactly like a shar pei, short bristly coat and all (adult-sized already though, she's going to be a big dog) but with that wolfish grey sable malamute colouring and a pure black face and saddle. Incredible-looking dog. I hope they stay around my neighbourhood so I can see how her personality develops and if her fur ends up growing out. She's played with my little guy a few times and she likes putting her paw on his head; it's exactly the same size as his skull.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
What's a good way to entice one of these stubborn kids to use a dog house. She never used it before but now it's winter so I want her to at least have some shelter, I put in a small heat lamp hoping it would lure her in. Still she would rather lay under a plank of plywood up against the house or under the kids slanted "rock wall" that leads to the play house.

I bring her in at night but she dislikes it and will want out the second the sun comes out.

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW
How cold does it get your way?

I don't think I could get my dogs to sleep inside if I tried, but when you're covered in an inch of fluff a cool night won't bother you.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Tonight it's 25 and might hit lower. We are having a cold winter this year for west Texas. It's also mostly the wind chill that gets us and that's the main reason why I want them to use the house. The husky loves it and would live in a snow bank if it ever snowed here. The one I am worried about is her sister that's some of chihuahua mix and thus pretty drat small. Both are already inside tonight.

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 14, 2014

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Pup is 22 weeks old now and pure evil.

She was cute for the first day she came home although Artie didn't know what to make of her

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Her now!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Oh my gosh they're so adorable :3:

(I'm probably bad 'cause a part of me just wants to bury my face in that floof and go 'brrrfrrhhhrttt', much to the poor fluffball's confusion)

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

You can have the puppy, she's pure evil

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Rawress posted:

My shiba doesn't understand clothing or harnesses. He just stands there and stares at you in confusion, kind of like when you put a post-it note on a cat.

He has super cute urajiro, like a bowtie, almost. Red sesames are so purty.

Beautiful coat!! How old? :kimchi:

May I ask where you got him?

Zenith, give Elsa to me. :colbert:

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
In 7ish weeks now I'll be bringing a Malamute puppy home (pictures to come once we've picked out which one in a couple of weeks when we visit). This thread's been a great resource in helping to decide that yes we can handle a Malamute (a weekend of bikejoring also helped show how easy and fun that is for us and the dogs), together with a lot of conversations with breeders and owners on what to expect. Actually picking the breeder saw me go through a half-dozen or so that I didn't like for various reasons (sure you can take a 6 week malamute home, just come by and pick it up this weekend etc.) and we're going to be getting a ludicrously pedigreed Mal, but the breeder is exactly the type of person I was looking for, as well as being recommended by other breeders involved in the UK Malamute society.

Thanks for the wealth of great info in the thread and I'll keep updating.

Also Zenithbliss your Samoyed looks good as gold, you must be wrong, nothing that cute can be evil!

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009

WHO'S A FLUFFY-FLUFF-FLUFF? IT'S YOUUUUU :3:

...Is what I might say if I met those two in the wilds.

My husband and I have been walking Luna at our favourite black sand beach on the weekends. She loves it but the sand path leading to the water is way too hot on her paws so we carry her there/back. We crossed paths with this massive dude and his malamute the other day, who was dancing side to side on the hot sand. The guy saw what we were doing and went 'oh, good idea' and hoisted this adult mal up like a little baby and carried it down to the beach :3:. It made me glad my dog is small enough to carry though.

Rawress
Feb 6, 2008

I will eat you alive.

paisleyfox posted:

Beautiful coat!! How old? :kimchi:

May I ask where you got him?

Zenith, give Elsa to me. :colbert:

He's 5 months, just starting to get his adult teeth!

I got him from a breeder in Wakefield-- Cheri Sullo. Super nice and knowledgable woman who she really loves what she does. My housing situation was unexpectedly upended when he was ~10 weeks old, and she was more than happy to help me look after him until I found a new place to live.

Zenithbliss your pup is so fluffyyyy *_*

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Before my partner got sick this is how I imagined my life turning out (that tribble on the left is Elsa at 9 weeks old).

Now in a moment of weakness I said when she got better she could get her dream dog, a Pug... :cry:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Rawress posted:

He's 5 months, just starting to get his adult teeth!

I got him from a breeder in Wakefield-- Cheri Sullo. Super nice and knowledgable woman who she really loves what she does. My housing situation was unexpectedly upended when he was ~10 weeks old, and she was more than happy to help me look after him until I found a new place to live.

Zenithbliss your pup is so fluffyyyy *_*

Oh man, great choice of breeder!

I love the Jack o Lantern look puppies get when they lose their teeth. :3:

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
My girlfriend made probably the best photoshop of Mona last night:

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011
Good to see the thread alive again and full of adorable dogs :3:

Yuuna is still a skinny adolescent. Can't believe we've had her for a full year now.

She got an award from our local dog club this week. It was for "endeavour". We got a pity award. Woo! :unsmith:

We've started Rally-O too. We are not completely terrible (we're pretty terrible though).

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Visited our Malamute breeder's kennels today (10 mals in their working teams, 9 puppies in the litter!) Took a few pictures though she wants to wait to 7 weeks to assign puppies as some are going to show/breeders so they'll want the most typical of the breed etc.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
This thread needs more Tibetan Mastiffs!

Meet Kitty Pryde!

In that picture she is 5 weeks old (Already 11 lbs), and will be ready for me to pick her up on the 27th. I can't wait to get her, she's my first TM and my first show dog.

The breeder has been extremely helpful and even offered to let me "show" one of her other Tibetan Mastiffs (Mostly everyone is a champion) for the experience.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Have pictures of the pup's parents at shows? They're a rare breed around here and I don't think I've ever seen one at an event. Pretty neat, if you know what you're in for.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!

a life less posted:

Have pictures of the pup's parents at shows? They're a rare breed around here and I don't think I've ever seen one at an event. Pretty neat, if you know what you're in for.

That's the Dad "AUJUDON'S JOE TIME", AKA, "JOE".

This is the mom, "PENDRAGON'S ZHIANG 'BA OF BLUE FIRE," aka, "ZHIANG"

And the grandfather FUSO just because.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
RIP, buddy. :(

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011
Was going to do my first foster, a Japanese Spitz who was supposedly neutered, good with other dogs, good with kids, no separation anxiety and generally well behaved. He had only been in kennels "a little while."

Turns out he is intact, reactive to other dogs, barks constantly if you leave him alone and has been in kennels nearly two years. Oh, and the kennels were making noises about refusing to release him to a foster home, wanting him to go to a forever home immediately, and demanding the £3,000 bill for his stay in kennels be paid first.

Is rescue always this dramatic and lovely? He seems like a sweet dog, but the rescue was suspiciously reluctant to provide me with the address of the person I was supposed to be dropping him off with until my girl was out of heat and I could foster and I have a horrible feeling they would have considered it a win if I had pulled the dog (I didn't, thank god!) and I got stuck with a reactive dog going mental in my house over Xmas to get to his sexy, sexy stepsister. Because at least he's not in kennels over Christmas!

Basically, gently caress that poo poo, I'll stick to donating money (to reputable charities.)

Bonus picture of the little trouble maker.

On the other hand, could totally market Shikoku/Spitz puppies as Shitz.

Condolences, and what a crap time to lose a dog. He looks like he was a good dog :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butthead
May 31, 2011
I brought home a doge on Saturday. His name is Bowser.

:3:

Butthead fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 22, 2014

• Locked thread