Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Trees AND tigers, I'm in heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Did the Doctor change his shirt?

Edit: This episode is really ridiculous, but in an oddly endearing way.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 25, 2014

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

This episode is making me crack up and I have no idea why.

The loving hug jumpcut just now made me lose my poo poo.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
"The trees saved everything on Earth from the solar flare!!! Same about all your satellites, though..."

Edit: this probably has at least a little to do with me missing the first 5-10 minutes or so, but this episode really felt like a mess. Still, there's something endearing about an episode that ends up just being about the trees trying to keep their home safe :3:

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 25, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It sure was nice of RTD and Murray Gold to come back for one more episode before the finale :allears:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

That was dumb. But not fun-dumb, just boring-dumb.

taerfu
Oct 7, 2013
lol at Clara telling the Doctor to let the children die.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Ehh, wasn't a big fan of that. I like that there was a call back to something earlier this season with the previous flare. It looks like it's tying into Missy in some way, so if it gets fleshed out or explained in the finale, then I might retroactively appreciate it a bit more. Otherwise is was pretty drat boring.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

The Child actors were surprisingly good. And I generally hate Child actors.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
By the way, it's spelt Meabh.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I liked that one. Nothing much happened (well, apart from panthers and wolves and tigers and solar flares) but it was a nice look at the characters. Plus a lot of the effects were very pretty.

And there's always something funny about things where the characters basically have no effect on anything and everything turns out fine.

But the plan to burn paths through the forest? The forest covering the planet? gently caress me, what kind of idiot would think of that.

Crowe
Sep 10, 2003
Where is the bomb!?
That was a good episode of the Sarah Jane Adventures. When does Doctor Who start?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Interesting that one of the themes seemed to be "forests are scary" but they chose a sunny forest, not a Mirkwood-like forest to take a prototype example.

Also holy crap @ next week's preview.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

That was pretty dull and the ending was just ridiculous with the girl getting her sister back (maybe she had been hiding in the bushes all this time :eyepop:).

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I have no idea what happened, how does more oxygen protect against a Solar Eruption

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The whole episode kinda felt like an afterthought, like they had one more episode to fit in and came up with a loose premise and then just kinda sleepwalked their way through it. Technically it furthers Danny and Clara's relationship and I found the whole episode oddly endearing, but man there were a lot of unfocused or disconnected elements strung together.

I stand by my comment that it felt like an RTD-era episode that got lost and ended up in the Moffat era instead.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Geokinesis posted:

That was pretty dull and the ending was just ridiculous with the girl getting her sister back (maybe she had been hiding in the bushes all this time :eyepop:).

£10 says that's something to do with Missy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I might need to give this episode another go tomorrow, because my parents had this gigantic fight just before it started, so I wasn't really in the best mood to watch it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

That made less than no sense, and not in a good way either.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I liked it! I mean, I "worked it out" twenty-something minutes before Doctor Idiot did, but I really enjoyed it all the same.

dsub
Jul 10, 2003

Always bet on Nashwan
:ohdear: that was not... good... writing was poor and the kids were annoying, and solar flares are made of fire :eng99:

Why are the English and Maths teachers taking them on a trip to the Natural History Museum?

What is the meaning of this?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Autonomous Monster posted:

£10 says that's something to do with Missy.

She was a teenage runaway. She got the call from her sister which convinced her to go home. It was just a straightforward saccharine-sweet ending, nothing more complicated than that.

dsub posted:

:ohdear: that was not... good... writing was poor and the kids were annoying, and solar flares are made of fire :eng99:

Why are the English and Maths teachers taking them on a trip to the Natural History Museum?

What is the meaning of this?!

Danny was supervising the trip, Clara wasn't there. I imagine he volunteered to supervise the kids during the night because it's the kind of guy he is. Same reason he was taking the kids through physical exercise drills in his first episode despite being the maths teacher.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 25, 2014

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Thom12255 posted:

I have no idea what happened, how does more oxygen protect against a Solar Eruption

Did the solar flare kill the moon egg? :ohdear:

Robot Uprising
Sep 19, 2006

Spinning Buzz Saws
A really boring episode where nothing happened.

I really gave up when a flashlight in broad daylight scared off a tiger. That disappeared the second it was off screen.

The trees where all good and did no damage to anything. Apart from that one time they collapsed Nelsons pillar on you, and when they selectively let out zoo animals.

All the children where awful too, I laughed at Clara telling the doctor to just let them all die for no good reason. The doctor just agrees too, guess there is no-one else on the whole planet that gets an opinion or is worth saving.

The Doctors got so many easy solutions too , the tardis has towed the whole bloody planet before just nudge it a bit out of the way!

Robot Uprising fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 25, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I liked the psuedo-quote from The Mysterious Planet when Capaldi is talking about entropy and suchlike.

I probably liked it so much because I sort-of saw a quote like that coming and was really happy when it actually happened.

(I'd have been happier if they'd directly quoted the "nothing can be eternal" line but WHATEVS)

dsub
Jul 10, 2003

Always bet on Nashwan

Hank Morgan posted:

Did the solar flare kill the moon egg? :ohdear:

No it was laser focused on Earth don't you know how solar flares work?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's just as well nobody kept any of the ATMOS devices from the last time the Doctor had to set the atmosphere on fire.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

She was a teenage runaway. She got the call from her sister which convinced her to go home. It was just a straightforward saccharine-sweet ending, nothing more complicated than that.

I got the impression she was straight up dead. Did they spell it out somewhere and I missed it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Autonomous Monster posted:

I got the impression she was straight up dead. Did they spell it out somewhere and I missed it?

They said she went missing but gave no other information, so you could assume anything really. At the end when she shows up she's pretty clearly meant to be a TROUBLED TEEN, so I guess she ran away/fell in with a bad crowd or something. Obviously she was meant to have felt touched when she heard her sister's voice on the phone and decided to come home, but was nervous and tried to hide, and the trees faded away to reveal her which forced the reunion of the family.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The abysmal writing on this episode was from the writer of Welcome to Sarajevo, 24 Hour Party People and A Cock and Bull Story?? :psyduck:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

So the world was saved by a ten year old girl telling the world to be nice to trees, because we need them and without them the whole world will die.

The Telegraph articles tomorrow are going to be priceless

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Noxville posted:

The abysmal writing on this episode was from the writer of Welcome to Sarajevo, 24 Hour Party People and A Cock and Bull Story?? :psyduck:

Holy poo poo I was not expecting that :stare:

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I rather enjoyed this episode. 3 in a row, and I am starting to really dig Capaldi. Hated him at first with the retarded episodes but yeah, im liking him. He reminds me a hell of a lot of Doctor Emmett Brown from Back to The Future.

I think this episode clears up any idea of Missy is a future Doctor.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Thought that was dire. Everything until the Tiger held promise but it was quickly pissed away. The resolution of everyone on Earth forgetting was cheap too.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
"You're right Donna Clara, i should just save the people I can, at least some humans will survive."
"jk lol, just basically murder all these kids."
"Sure why not."

What an atrocious message.

Otherwise the episode was goofy fun.

It feeling like a RTD era episode matches well with the whole forgetting thing. The desire to totally change the Earth in major, society shifting ways in one episode then everyone just kind of forgetting about it.

I liked that Clara straight out says that this is the dumbass class because you too often get kids like this on TV that are as stupid as a box of hammers.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 25, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I think the "forgetting" was meant to be more metaphorical than literal. That it would become a footnote in capital-H History very quickly, that life would go on more or less the same way. Not that humanity's minds would be straight-up wiped of the memories of the day.

dsub
Jul 10, 2003

Always bet on Nashwan

Jerusalem posted:

They said she went missing but gave no other information, so you could assume anything really. At the end when she shows up she's pretty clearly meant to be a TROUBLED TEEN, so I guess she ran away/fell in with a bad crowd or something. Obviously she was meant to have felt touched when she heard her sister's voice on the phone and decided to come home, but was nervous and tried to hide, and the trees faded away to reveal her which forced the reunion of the family.

I thought I was supposed to recognise her from a previous series or something. I guess the part where the viewer is given a reason to care about that character ended up on the cutting room floor to make room for scenes of kids not knowing what "navigation" means or unconvincingly sucking at maths, or Clara pointlessly bickering with Danny.

I got the feeling throughout this episode that the writer forgot there'd be an audience or just didn't give them any credit. It's as if he wrote it for his kid, who was on set the whole time, and this is their home movie of the time they went to the Doctor Who set and had everyone act for them.

PriorMarcus posted:

The resolution of everyone on Earth forgetting was cheap too.

And then I woke up and it was all a dream.

vvv Fair enough. I'd have been fine with it if she was obviously taking the piss, but she was just dumb and it was played for laughs, which was mean.

dsub fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 25, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

dsub posted:

unconvincingly sucking at maths

I have heard the exact same questions about simple math come out of the mouths of high-school juniors (15-to-17-year-olds) so hahahhah no I was pretty convinced.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DoctorWhat posted:

I think the "forgetting" was meant to be more metaphorical than literal.

No, it's definitely meant to be literal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

RTD-era? No, no, this is definitely an Eleven-type magical fairy tale bullshit resolution very much in the style of The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe, and I mean that in every sense.

• Locked thread