Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Light Gun Man posted:

Girlfriend is playing Bayonetta 1 right now and holy poo poo the Wii U disc drive is making a lot of noise, mostly during cutscenes. Anyone else getting that?

Yea, only with Bayonetta 1, though. Thanks for assuring me it's probably not just my refurbished Wii U dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can't believe I'm thinking about getting one of these, but I am. However, the region lock is still holding me back. Is there any sign that there's going to be a workaround someday?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Suspicious Cook posted:

I loved Route 666, but mainly because the After Burner theme is ultra rad.

I have my complaints with Bayo 1 but when my biggest complaint is that my GamePad's battery started dying right when I was going to do a Jeanne fight I think the good outweighs the bad. Hurry up and charge, I want to do that fight! :f5:

The wiimote + classic controller is compatible. That's what I've been using. Makes the button mashing QTE parts easier too.

My Wii U's silent while playing Bayonetta 1. :shrug:

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Regarding the Bayonetta 1 QTEs, on 360 at least they are random but with only one or possibly two variations for each one. Certain very dramatic ones are pre-set though. RE4 is the same way.

I'm pretty sure none of the QTEs are random, what ones are you guys talking about?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I bought Bayonetta 2.

I don't have a Wii U.

what the gently caress am i doing with my life

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

RuBisCO posted:

I bought Bayonetta 2.

I don't have a Wii U.

Hopefully you're using it to buy a Wii U. Get a referb.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

RuBisCO posted:

I bought Bayonetta 2.

I don't have a Wii U.

I did the same thing except with Zombie U. I found it brand new at a car boot sale. It was £3. I don't have a Wii U.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RuBisCO posted:

I bought Bayonetta 2.

I don't have a Wii U.

Good for you supporting Platinum!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I could be wrong, but if you move abroad you can still access your home regional digital store for games. While I was in europe I regularly used my american psn account to buy poo poo, since the exchange rate was so ludicrous.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Narcissus1916 posted:

I could be wrong, but if you move abroad you can still access your home regional digital store for games. While I was in europe I regularly used my american psn account to buy poo poo, since the exchange rate was so ludicrous.
Yeah, I figured it was just the standard kind of region lock that didn't care where you were, only what region the software or hardware was set as.

Anyway, I want to play Bayonetta 2 and a few other exclusives, but hardware-wise Nintendo has always known how to piss me off in a few different ways; the region lock is just one of them.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can't believe I'm thinking about getting one of these, but I am. However, the region lock is still holding me back. Is there any sign that there's going to be a workaround someday?

I booked one for collection tomorrow in a store here in Ireland that has started selling the 8gb ones off relatively cheap with Mario Bros.

I think now is the exact right time to buy one and i have no interest in Bayonetta.

Get one and complete/start the holy trinity of PC/PS4/WiiU that will get you through the next 5 years of non-handheld gaming.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Do I need a Wiimote to play all Wii games, or only ones that didn't support the classic controller? Also, how do they look when running through the WiiU?

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do I need a Wiimote to play all Wii games, or only ones that didn't support the classic controller? Also, how do they look when running through the WiiU?

The games look slightly better. However you need a Wiimote. You can't use any WiiU controllers right now. (Even though the game will display on the gamepad)

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Classic controllers plug into Wiimotes so you 100% need one for games that let you entirely play with the classic controller.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Why does it always have to be this way with Nintendo? Every time I think I've found something about their hardware that has no obnoxious arbitrary limitation on it, this happens.

edit: vvv they're the ones I liked because I hate the Wiimote and everything it stands for.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 25, 2014

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Very very few wii games don't use the remote. I can think of like Fire Emblem, Muramasa, and Brawl off the top of my head but that's it

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why does it always have to be this way with Nintendo? Every time I think I've found something about their hardware that has no obnoxious arbitrary limitation on it, this happens.

edit: vvv they're the ones I liked because I hate the Wiimote and everything it stands for.

It's hardly arbitrary. It's "old games aren't programmed to run with new hardware."

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Samurai Sanders posted:

why? It wasn't bad at all unless it wanted you to do precise stuff and it usually doesn't.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What's the classic controller? The one for Wii or the one for Wii U?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shelf Adventure posted:

It's hardly arbitrary. It's "old games aren't programmed to run with new hardware."
Are they running on original Wii hardware in there somewhere? If not, I figured it would be easy to map the classic controller's functions onto a WiiU controller. Don't they have more or less the same arrangement of buttons?

Austrian mook posted:

why? It wasn't bad at all unless it wanted you to do precise stuff and it usually doesn't.
It's a gimmick for the sake of a gimmick. And I don't want to move my body when I play games, I'll go outside if I want that. To me a game is like reading a novel, I want to relax and move as little as possible while doing it. The only reason I am considering a WiiU is because they ditched that particular gimmick and replaced it with one I care about somewhat less.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 25, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's a gimmick for the sake of a gimmick. And I don't want to move my body when I play games, I'll go outside if I want that. To me a game is like reading a novel, I want to relax and move as little as possible while doing it.

People still think you have to flail your body around like an epileptic to use the Wii Remote in the year 2014 lol

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mercury Crusader posted:

People still think you have to flail your body around like an epileptic to use the Wii Remote in the year 2014 lol
That's not what I'm saying and you know it.

edit: vvv leaving aside MS's ill-fated attempt to force the Kinect on Xbone users, those are not things that I have to buy even if they don't apply to the games I want to play.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 25, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's a gimmick for the sake of a gimmick. And I don't want to move my body when I play games, I'll go outside if I want that. To me a game is like reading a novel, I want to relax and move as little as possible while doing it. The only reason I am considering a WiiU is because they ditched that particular gimmick and replaced it with one I care about somewhat less.

Are we talking about the Wiimote, Playstation Move, or Xbox Kinect.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
George is gettin' upset

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
You can play to Wii games on Wii U with a WII Classic Controller, but not with the Gamepad or a WIIU Pro Controller.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are they running on original Wii hardware in there somewhere? If not, I figured it would be easy to map the classic controller's functions onto a WiiU controller. Don't they have more or less the same arrangement of buttons?
As far as I recall, they've changed the way they communicate with the console. When it goes into Wii mode it essentially turns into a Wii so new functions aren't available to it.

It might be frustrating, but just think of it like you've gotten a free wii with your Wii U. If you want to use it, you need Wii stuff. Which you might still think sounds crap, but if you compare it to other recent consoles, it's one of the few parts of the system you can argue they're actually offering a lot more.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shelf Adventure posted:

As far as I recall, they've changed the way they communicate with the console. When it goes into Wii mode it essentially turns into a Wii so new functions aren't available to it.

It might be frustrating, but just think of it like you've gotten a free wii with your Wii U. If you want to use it, you need Wii stuff. Which you might still think sounds crap, but if you compare it to other recent consoles, it's one of the few parts of the system you can argue they're actually offering a lot more.
Yeah, I guess you're right about that. There aren't any Wii games I want to re-play anyway though, I think.

Maybe I'll give it a try for a while, if Wal-Mart has the same return policy on game consoles as other stuff. I have never bought game stuff from Wal-Mart before.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Having a wii remote is pretty recommended, especially if you're gonna be doing any couch co-op. And most games have multiple controller options. I preferred using the remote + nunchuck setup for Pikmin 3 since it was much more precise than the gamepad.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Wii owns, WiiU owns, Wii remotes own. Hope that helps. :)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Detective No. 27 posted:

Having a wii remote is pretty recommended, especially if you're gonna be doing any couch co-op. And most games have multiple controller options. I preferred using the remote + nunchuck setup for Pikmin 3 since it was much more precise than the gamepad.
Speaking of that, how is Bayonetta with the gamepad, or does it need a classic controller? I handled the gamepad briefly at a friend's house but I can't imagine how it would be for a high speed action game.

edit: can I use my Sony Gold headset with the WiiU, like I can with my PC?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 25, 2014

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Speaking of that, how is Bayonetta with the gamepad, or does it need a classic controller? I handled the gamepad briefly at a friend's house but I can't imagine how it would be for a high speed action game.

It's ok for the game, but you'll probably want to grab a Wii U Pro controller, it's pretty much the 360 pad with the face buttons and right stick switched and better triggers.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

I really didn't like how it felt at all for that type of game. I'm also sure I would have adjusted but I didn't need it because I have a classic controller pro (which I only had because Hyrule Warriors is dumb about what controllers work with it)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

axleblaze posted:

I really didn't like how it felt at all for that type of game. I'm also sure I would have adjusted but I didn't need it because I have a classic controller pro (which I only had because Hyrule Warriors is dumb about what controllers work with it)
You mean to say it doesn't work with the gamepad at all? Are there other games like that?

edit: vvv lol what? Why do they care so much?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 25, 2014

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Random rear end question: will the Gamecube controller adapter be region free? I imported a controller bundle from Japan and just realized the very real possibility that Nintendo would be so stupid as to region lock it. They locked the Pro Controller and Gamepad so

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

You mean to say it doesn't work with the gamepad at all? Are there other games like that?

No, it works with the gamepad fine. My problem was that it works with a Wiimote but it doesn't work with a classic controller (which is a controller you plug into a Wiimote). The Wiimote controls were also absurdly terrible. If I wanted to play multiplayer (which is what I bought HW for), I pretty much needed a WiiU Pro Controller.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

F. Lobot posted:

Random rear end question: will the Gamecube controller adapter be region free? I imported a controller bundle from Japan and just realized the very real possibility that Nintendo would be so stupid as to region lock it. They locked the Pro Controller and Gamepad so

Up until this point, hardware accessories have been region free. It hasn't changed with the Wii U so far and they've not mentioned any intention to change, so you'll probably be alright.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

F. Lobot posted:

What? The Pro Controller isn't region locked. :confused:

One of the ways people get cheap-ish ones here is to get Japanese ones off Play Asia. The shipping price is pretty steep, so it's only worth it if you buy two or more, but if you do it's a lot cheaper than they are normally.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you don't think Bayonetta 2 is the raddest poo poo this year, you are a broken human, and I feel sorrow for your loss.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pomp posted:

If you don't think Bayonetta 2 is the raddest poo poo this year, you are a broken human, and I feel sorrow for your loss.
I sure do, which is why I am considering buying an expensive piece of hardware full of stuff that I don't want in order to get at it.

But eh, maybe it will grow on me. The Wii never did though. I owned one for five years, but it spent two or so of those years in the closet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: can I use my Sony Gold headset with the WiiU, like I can with my PC?

Gamepad works pretty well for Bayonetta. I think I prefer the classic controller because I've been able to spin the stick and consistently get max punishment in the QTE more often, but haven't had trouble performing any moves with either.

I played a few chapters on a friend's Wii U yesterday, but it only took me an hour to catch up on mine yesterday while playing on the pad with South Park on the TV.

• Locked thread