Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

e.pilot posted:

You can order the cellular models online and pick them up in store.

Not in San Francisco. They all say coming soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

hypersleep posted:

Anyone on iOS 8 noticing issues playing videos on the web? Weird buffering issues, glitchy playback, etc?

It even happens in the YouTube app. It'll start to play an HD video, but then stop and display the "buffering" animation, then begin playing after a while, then do it again, over and over until it refuses to play at all. I just tested this with the new Avengers trailer, which is only 2 minutes long, and it stops every 10 drat seconds to buffer.

iPad 4, iOS 8.1, latest YouTube app.
Stuff seems to be slower to start playing but generally ok once it gets going here. I'm thinking whatever funkiness with loading videos might just be a result of continued wifi bugginess. It's better than 8.0.x but it's still oddly slow at connecting to stuff for me.

Selane
May 19, 2006

hypersleep posted:

Anyone on iOS 8 noticing issues playing videos on the web? Weird buffering issues, glitchy playback, etc?

It even happens in the YouTube app. It'll start to play an HD video, but then stop and display the "buffering" animation, then begin playing after a while, then do it again, over and over until it refuses to play at all. I just tested this with the new Avengers trailer, which is only 2 minutes long, and it stops every 10 drat seconds to buffer.

iPad 4, iOS 8.1, latest YouTube app.

Not really, I've been using my Air 2 a bunch since I got it and I've watched several 1-2 hour long videos without any problems. As usual YouTube continues to perform 10x better on my iOS devices than in loving Chrome on my desktop. :what:

edit: I do not have the aforementioned wifi issues, so maybe it is related to that.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

dutchbstrd posted:

Not in San Francisco. They all say coming soon.

Strange.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

For what it's worth, Youtube had an emergency patch today for screwing up iPad performance and layout. They were down to 1.5 stars in rating because of it and it has since resolved all issues for me. If you haven't updated Youtube I would do it now.

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
So I updated my air to 8.1 and was trying to use the iMessage to text a friend on a non Apple phone. Having my 5s and ipad on the same wifi won't allow it to happen. What am I doing wrong or did I misunderstand how the update worked? I can iMessage Apple people fine on it, but others show up as not registered to iMessage

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

f1av0r posted:

So I updated my air to 8.1 and was trying to use the iMessage to text a friend on a non Apple phone. Having my 5s and ipad on the same wifi won't allow it to happen. What am I doing wrong or did I misunderstand how the update worked? I can iMessage Apple people fine on it, but others show up as not registered to iMessage

On the phone go to Settings->Messages->Text Message Forwarding and make sure your iPad is enabled in there. If it's not listed or Test Message Forwarding isn't showing up at all, try rebooting the iPad.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My iPad Air 2 came in. It's a great upgrade from the 3, holy crap

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

XyrlocShammypants posted:

For what it's worth, Youtube had an emergency patch today for screwing up iPad performance and layout. They were down to 1.5 stars in rating because of it and it has since resolved all issues for me. If you haven't updated Youtube I would do it now.

That's great. I was really annoyed by the layout issues and was confused why it had lasted so long. Now google just needs to do the same with the Hangouts app to fix the contacts showing up as numbers instead of names issues when using Google Voice for SMS.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

My iPad Air 2 came in. It's a great upgrade from the 3, holy crap

It's not really worth the jump if you have a first-gen Air, but if you have one of the older "fat" iPads, the size and weight difference alone might make it worthwhile, never mind the speed boost.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The speed difference is insane: still to heavy to hold in one hand for reading, though, although a big inprovement.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

japtor posted:

Bigger screen pretty much (slightly better color but not that big a deal). In terms of usability the size makes it easier to touch type on, kinda like a regular keyboard vs a shrunken netbook keyboard. Resolution wise they're the same and show the same content, so again it's just a matter of size. Check them out in store if possible to see if the text size for reading stuff is ok on the iPad mini vs the Air for you.

Thanks a lot for this. Checked them out in the store, and liked both. Crap. I missed the last couple of years in iPad history — a friend had the original one — and the lightness of both devices blew me away. Now that I've managed to sell my old laptop I'm wondering whether or not I should go for the Air 2 right away. I've read several reviews and it seems like it blows all other iPads out of the water in terms of sheer power. Decisions, decisions. Also, first world problems.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Jack's Flow posted:

Thanks a lot for this. Checked them out in the store, and liked both. Crap. I missed the last couple of years in iPad history — a friend had the original one — and the lightness of both devices blew me away. Now that I've managed to sell my old laptop I'm wondering whether or not I should go for the Air 2 right away. I've read several reviews and it seems like it blows all other iPads out of the water in terms of sheer power. Decisions, decisions. Also, first world problems.

I would go Air 2 and never look back. Fastest iPad, touch id, and awesome screen quality + size.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
As an original Air owner with no plans to buy the Air 2 - buy the Air 2.

That's a good rule of thumb for any Apple product - always buy the newest one because it'll outlast the previous generations long enough to justify spending that bit extra.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Always buy the newest anything if it's financially feasible - this holds true for all purchases especially food and hookers.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

e.pilot posted:

Strange.

It shows up as available now. Hooray, take my $1000 Apple.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
So I preordered the Air 2 through Best Buy the moment the preorder became available as I'm giving my Air 1 to my Mom. I got the pickup email last night saying that it'd be ready today for pickup but at 10 am I got a call saying that it has been "misplaced" and then someone yelled out in the background, "say it's in transit!!!" which the person calling me quickly repeated. I asked when it would be there as I wanted to pick it up today and they told me possibly tomorrow, maybe Monday but no later than next Friday. I asked to just pick it up at another Best Buy that was showing stock but they said I couldn't.

The moral of the story is to never count on Best Buy.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

I did best buys $200 guaranteed for my iPad 2 and picked up the air2. After the slight confusion of the clerk because the packaging not saying "air 2" on it anywhere whatsoever I finally got it home and had time to play with it. So far it's a awesome upgrade, however the sound vibrations are insane. Even on low volume speech its pretty bad. Not a deal breaker for me like all the crazy people on macrumors but it's worth trying in the store if you think. It may bother you.

Kanish fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 24, 2014

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Whoops, edit/quote double post.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Kanish posted:

I did best buys $200 guaranteed for my iPad 2 and picked up the air2.

Was this process pretty simple and streamlined? I hadn't heard of this until now but I might do the same.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ufarn posted:

The speed difference is insane: still to heavy to hold in one hand for reading, though, although a big inprovement.

I am not sure that really holds water against anything but pulpy paperbacks anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/The-World-Wheel-Time-Book/dp/0812511816

Product Details

Series: Wheel of Time (Book 1)
Mass Market Paperback: 832 pages
Publisher: Tor Fantasy; 1 edition (November 15, 1990)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0812511816
ISBN-13: 978-0812511819
Product Dimensions: 6.6 x 4.2 x 1.5 inches
Shipping Weight: 2 pounds

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Tacier posted:

Was this process pretty simple and streamlined? I hadn't heard of this until now but I might do the same.

Yea it was pretty easy, they just do the standard turn on, check EMI and turn off Icloud. For my 32gb Ipad 2 I got $150 in the form of a giftcard. If you mention you're trading up to an air or mini they will print out a little coupon that has your name on it and you can just walk over and buy one from the regular store.

Its a pretty good deal if you have a 2, since Apple offers only $100 for trade in, and I dont see me getting more than $150-200 on ebay, so this is really no hassle.

suddenlyissoon posted:

So I preordered the Air 2 through Best Buy the moment the preorder became available as I'm giving my Air 1 to my Mom. I got the pickup email last night saying that it'd be ready today for pickup but at 10 am I got a call saying that it has been "misplaced" and then someone yelled out in the background, "say it's in transit!!!" which the person calling me quickly repeated. I asked when it would be there as I wanted to pick it up today and they told me possibly tomorrow, maybe Monday but no later than next Friday. I asked to just pick it up at another Best Buy that was showing stock but they said I couldn't.

The moral of the story is to never count on Best Buy.

Unless you're going for LTE enabled, this wasnt really something you needed to pre-order, at least for my region (Balt/Wash metro area). I have 4 BB within 30 minutes and all of them are showing stock for everything save for one or two sku's here and there.

Kanish fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 24, 2014

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
Whats the best iPad bluetooth keyboard cover? Looking for something similar to the surface's form/functionality.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Kanish posted:

Yea it was pretty easy, they just do the standard turn on, check EMI and turn off Icloud. For my 32gb Ipad 2 I got $150 in the form of a giftcard. If you mention you're trading up to an air or mini they will print out a little coupon that has your name on it and you can just walk over and buy one from the regular store.

So they give you a $50 coupon on the receipt and $150 on a gift card for the trade-in to get to the $200? That seems a little over complicated.

edit: Okay, maybe not. I guess it's the easiest way to tack onto a normal trade-in value for the special.

Erebus fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 25, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Always buy the newest anything if it's financially feasible - this holds true for all purchases especially food and hookers.

Except cars. Never buy new.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

f1av0r posted:

I had some issues getting it to work at first, I'd enable forwarding on my phone but no code would ever pop up on my iPad. What finally worked was turning iMessage off on both devices and then back on, afterward the iPad said I could use forwarding and gave me the activation code for my phone.

Also according to Macrumors, you need to have your email address linked to iMessage (which I already did).

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

My fiance's iPad mini will not recognize her old charger (very likely broken), but it also won't recognize a new after market one I bought either. It doesn't say "Not Charging"..it just has no lightning bolt and shows the normal battery depleting. I tried even hooking it into computer and nothing happened.

The kicker is..with her old broken charger if you wiggle it around while plugged in you will get visual confirmation that it is trying to charge.

So my question is..could the after market charger I bought just be bad or not function correctly? I work at Best Buy so I am taking it in to work with me today to test it with in-store lightning connectors, but it's currently 100% dead from not being able to charge.

Thoughts?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
E: can't read.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Obscurity posted:

My fiance's iPad mini will not recognize her old charger (very likely broken), but it also won't recognize a new after market one I bought either. It doesn't say "Not Charging"..it just has no lightning bolt and shows the normal battery depleting. I tried even hooking it into computer and nothing happened.

The kicker is..with her old broken charger if you wiggle it around while plugged in you will get visual confirmation that it is trying to charge.

So my question is..could the after market charger I bought just be bad or not function correctly? I work at Best Buy so I am taking it in to work with me today to test it with in-store lightning connectors, but it's currently 100% dead from not being able to charge.

Thoughts?

Sounds like you got a bad charger or the iPad is broken. Does it work on a phone? Could be crap in the iPad's lightning hole.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Took advantage of lower prices to upgrade from an OG mini to Retina. I don't know how I lived with the non-Retina screen.

Question though, I noticed it comes with a new charger. With my original mini, the charger was the same as my iPhone charger and charged fine. This one looks like a smaller version of the old iPod charger.

Can I still use the iPhone charger? It looks like it works, I assume it just charges slower?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have an iPad 2 (3G, 32gb). Battery still amazingly good after about three years.

Do you think the Air 2 is a worthwhile "jump" from the iPad 2? (Not a fake post - people used to tell me about how long and how well Apple stuff works, and it's true.)

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Traded in an iPad 3 16 GB to Best Buy. They gave me a $163 gift card and a $50 coupon toward an iPad Air 2 purchase. $213 for an iPad 3 16GB isn't bad, especially since it lets me avoid dealing with Craigslist or Ebay.

Then I used a 10% off coupon from USPS on top of those discounts.

Ended up with an iPad Air 2 64GB for ~$360 out of pocket, and got rid of my iPad 3 at the same time. Gave my iPad Air 1 to my wife, so everyone is happy.

iPad Air 2 is a beast, by the way!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Snuffman posted:

Can I still use the iPhone charger? It looks like it works, I assume it just charges slower?
It'll charge, but slowly, and *might* not charge with the screen on, though I'm not 100% sure of that.

Three-Phase posted:

I have an iPad 2 (3G, 32gb). Battery still amazingly good after about three years.

Do you think the Air 2 is a worthwhile "jump" from the iPad 2? (Not a fake post - people used to tell me about how long and how well Apple stuff works, and it's true.)
Oh my god yes. The jump from my old iPad 3 to an Air was huge.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Snuffman posted:

Took advantage of lower prices to upgrade from an OG mini to Retina. I don't know how I lived with the non-Retina screen.

Question though, I noticed it comes with a new charger. With my original mini, the charger was the same as my iPhone charger and charged fine. This one looks like a smaller version of the old iPod charger.

The 5W iPhone brick they shipping the original mini is very underpowered. A 12W ipad brick is a huge improvement in charging speed with no drawbacks.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
After using the iPad Air of a friend for a day I finally settled on the Mini 2 after all. It came down to the form factor for me. A little smaller, a little lighter, but still rocking a retina display. Picking up the 32 GB model next week. Going to pick up Applecare+ and a Smart Cover too.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 25, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bobfather posted:

Traded in an iPad 3 16 GB to Best Buy.
Did you have to give them anything other than the iPad itself? I was thinking about snagging an Air 2 from Best Buy since I have some gift cards, but didn't consider trading my iPad 4 in there. What's the process like?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Did you have to give them anything other than the iPad itself? I was thinking about snagging an Air 2 from Best Buy since I have some gift cards, but didn't consider trading my iPad 4 in there. What's the process like?

They just need the iPad. I also gave them the cable, but kept the charger as an extra. And I gave them the box, because well, why do I need it?

For me, they took my driver's license, collected information about where I worked, took a fingerprint, and had me sign a few times. It was more of an invasion of privacy than I expected, but I'm not trying to game their system so I guess it doesn't matter. The whole process took about 15 minutes to complete with a CSR that was familiar with the process.

I've also heard it's not certain that all CSR's will accept both the $50 iPad Air 2 coupon and the 10% USPS mover's coupon, but mine did with no problem.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
So if I'm reading this right, the AppleSim situation is super convoluted because carriers are scum, and the most flexible way to buy an LTE iPadAir2 is still to buy one from Verizon *without* an AppleSim?

https://storify.com/spangborn/legere-addresses-sprint-and-at-and-t-apple-sim#publicize

It seems like that gets you the ability to use traditional sims from everywhere but Sprint.

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

ArcaneMan posted:

Whats the best iPad bluetooth keyboard cover? Looking for something similar to the surface's form/functionality.

I would also like to hear some opinions on this. I just got an iPad Air 2 (it's fantastic) that I intend to use mostly for business and I'd like to know if anybody can recommend one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Lisztless posted:

I would also like to hear some opinions on this. I just got an iPad Air 2 (it's fantastic) that I intend to use mostly for business and I'd like to know if anybody can recommend one.

I really like the Kensington KeyCover Plus here:

http://amzn.com/B00FLZ5P7W

It doubles as a protective case, though it doesn't protect the back of the iPad. I was able to score a deal on the lighted keyboard version for something like $13 shipped from Amazon recently, and it has been excellent for the price.

Although the model I linked is specifically for the iPad Air 1, I'm using it right now with my iPad Air 2 with no issue. In fact, the experience seems slightly improved even, because the slightly thinner chassis of the Air 2 allows the screen to tilt back slightly more than it did with the Air 1. The Air 2 also fits perfectly into the case and stays put.