Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Corridor posted:

this game is not for you

Good to know, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebenezer
Mar 21, 2007

In Chapter 3, I absolutely cannot find where the Professor is so that I can continue the story. Can someone point me in the right direction? I wish the quest text told you where to go.

Also, in the carpenter life, I cannot figure out how to plane the wood successfully to get a "great". If the tutorial told me I missed it.

Ebenezer fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 25, 2014

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Ebenezer posted:

In Chapter 3, I absolutely cannot find where the Professor is so that I can continue the story. Can someone point me in the right direction? I wish the quest text told you where to go.

lol there's an arrow that points you around on your map

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Man I love this game, but boy do I regret starting as a blacksmith and not a gathering class. So much cool stuff out there in the wild, but I can't interact with them for these first few painful hours. :negative:

E: PROBLEM SOLVED. This game is awesome for people who like to idly grind and gather and craft.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 25, 2014

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
How did you guys decide on what Life to pick? I think I spent 30 minutes deciding and I still haven't picked one :(

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Shnooks posted:

How did you guys decide on what Life to pick? I think I spent 30 minutes deciding and I still haven't picked one :(

You can change at will after about an hour for free.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Asnorban posted:

Oh sweet. I was all worried I'd be stuck being a tailor until I master the class, then I'd have to change.

Arnm616
Dec 4, 2004
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
Just spent my first 2 hours with the game, already loving it. I started as a Miner and am planning to jump through woodcutter and blacksmith next.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Shnooks posted:

I spent most of my time on my hair.

Only to cover it up with a hat made out of a fish.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Just got this on the eshop out of impulse/desire to scratch my Animal Crossing/Harvest Moon/etc itch. I'm just starting out as a wizard and already am in love with this game, it's adorable and fun in just the right ratios.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Asnorban posted:

seriously everybody misses this

the op just has way the gently caress too much small detail and it's easy to miss key stuff

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Shnooks posted:

Oh sweet. I was all worried I'd be stuck being a tailor until I master the class, then I'd have to change.

here's some crap I wrote for someone else

Corridor posted:

never buy armour or clothes, the ones you make yourself will have better stats if you haven't been totally neglecting the tailor/blacksmith

lots of people have asked about this, and the information probably got lost in the bloated op, but there's absolutely no reason to NOT just unlock every single job right from the start and then switch between them at will. because once you have the skills from one life - say, a Miner - you can go ahead and mine whenever you like, even when you are not a miner. you will do a better job if you are a miner, but it's so much simpler to just run around doing other life/story poo poo, and mine or chop or fish as you feel like it, whenever you pass a rock/tree/pond. you will have all the materials you will ever want before you know it.

and it seriously does not matter at all which life you pick first because as soon as you have finished (or skipped) any life's tutorial you can go ahead and change it again to another life, with zero penalty.

i personally leveled every life up as high as i could go between each story chapter, to save on too much grinding later on. but you can do whatever you want whenever you want.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Corridor posted:

another piece of info for newbies that i wish i had known:

pets are entirely useless. they're cute, but unless you really want your own little kitty or dragon whatever (and i can totally understand why you would), just put all your bliss bonuses into inventory expansion and unlocking shop bonuses. seriously those shop bonuses (they let the shops sell more poo poo) will be a godsend to your crafting classes almost right from the start. and it might seem like you already have a lot of space in your bag/storage, but you'll run out of that space kinda fast when you open up the other towns and start gathering/crafting all kinds of random crap.

Corridor posted:

i haven't seen these posted here but here are all the datamined passwords for all EU and US languages. just input them at the post office counter once you get the letter in the mail about passwords. yes, they are case/punctuation sensitive, and yes it's annoying.

most of them are costumes and they are insanely freaking cute. you obviously aren't meant to get these all at once, since these have been datamined, and i thought at first that they were kinda overpowered and cheaty... but they tend to be level restricted so you can't wear them off the bat, and the stuff you craft yourself will generally be better, defense wise. however some of the pieces of the outfits will offer cool extras, like extra crafting exp, or sleep immunity, or increased item drop, increased SP recovery, increased friendship leveling... useful poo poo like that.

for some reason, some of the costumes are female-only, but there's nothing that's male-only. so if you're a girl you can wear everything, but boys will miss out on a few things. weird.

and do bear in mind that a couple of outfits are related to story characters, and a tiny bit spoilery. not too much tho.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

To echo Corridor, I would seriously encourage you to put your first couple Bliss bonuses into expanding your Bag storage. Nothing is more annoying than ploughing through some interesting new dungeon, getting a treasure and being told your bag is full.

Though I would totally get a pet dragon later in the game. Is too cute, coming home to find your baby dragon peacefully bimbling around your house (which is all decorated top to bottom in Plushkin furniture)

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Suh-weet. Going to start as a Tailor then.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
I thought it was super lame Corridor got this game two weeks early, but he's been a helpful skeleton so far. Thanks, Australian!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Irisi posted:

To echo Corridor, I would seriously encourage you to put your first couple Bliss bonuses into expanding your Bag storage. Nothing is more annoying than ploughing through some interesting new dungeon, getting a treasure and being told your bag is full.

Though I would totally get a pet dragon later in the game. Is too cute, coming home to find your baby dragon peacefully bimbling around your house (which is all decorated top to bottom in Plushkin furniture)

Yea I know objectively there are smarter things to do with it but after a couple good logical bag upgrades and maybe a shop bonus I'm totally getting that dragon, I play this game for cute first and god drat it I WILL have an adorable dragon in my house :argh:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I know objectively there are smarter things to do with it but after a couple good logical bag upgrades and maybe a shop bonus I'm totally getting that dragon, I play this game for cute first and god drat it I WILL have an adorable dragon in my house :argh:

I do honestly understand, but you can only get the dragon pets near the end of the story :( until then it's various types of doggys and kitties and birdies

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

I thought it was super lame Corridor got this game two weeks early, but he's been a helpful skeleton so far. Thanks, Australian!

*brings u some T on a tray*

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
After reading some stuff about the gender differences I'm really tempted to start over as a girl character. But at the same time, the opening tutorial took forever and I'm not sure how badly I want to sit through that again.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

My first Bliss upgrade I unlocked pets, and then promptly got a kitty.

A black kitty, the perfect companion for a wizard. I named him Sam, after a cat I had when I was a kid, and we go adventuring together. He looks so cute following me around. :3:

No regrets!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Corridor posted:

I do honestly understand, but you can only get the dragon pets near the end of the story :( until then it's various types of doggys and kitties and birdies

God is cruel.

Silver Falcon posted:

A black kitty, the perfect companion for a wizard. I named him Sam, after a cat I had when I was a kid, and we go adventuring together. He looks so cute following me around. :3:

No regrets!

God is good.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah i'd say bag storage, shop upgrades and horse unlocks are the most important bliss upgrades.

Bag storage upgrade is by FAR the most important set of upgrades in the game. Shop upgrades are a huge help for crafting classes through the entirety of the game and while the horse unlocks aren't super important, the last one lets you have your own horse that you can access at any of the horse rentals that will still run off if attacked but won't leave after a few seconds of getting off it.

I didn't really use the in house storage upgrades until post game to be honest and the dyeing applies to very little clothes items in reality. Mostly capes and stuff as far as i've seen.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Silver Falcon posted:

No regrets!

Same, only I got a tortie. I didn't see an orange cat, so a tortie it was. I named it after my cat who died a couple of years ago. Now we can play together again! :3:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Crawfish posted:

Yeah i'd say bag storage, shop upgrades and horse unlocks are the most important bliss upgrades.

Bag storage upgrade is by FAR the most important set of upgrades in the game. Shop upgrades are a huge help for crafting classes through the entirety of the game and while the horse unlocks aren't super important, the last one lets you have your own horse that you can access at any of the horse rentals that will still run off if attacked but won't leave after a few seconds of getting off it.

I didn't really use the in house storage upgrades until post game to be honest and the dyeing applies to very little clothes items in reality. Mostly capes and stuff as far as i've seen.

I literally never used the horse what does it do?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Corridor posted:

I literally never used the horse what does it do?

Is sodding useless, is what it is. I thought I could gallop merrily up to the top of Snowpeak Mountain and through towns on it, but the bloody thing stops at the camp near the bottom of the mountain, and at the gates of towns. Plus, the directional controls while you're on it are clumsy and unresponsive, and I keep forgetting I've gone somewhere on it, teleport to a town and then realise I've left my horse the other side of the world.

Much better to buy your holiday homes ASAP, find out who can row/guide you to the various dungeons, and increase your Dashing skill, those combined gets you places much quicker and easier.

I just got my first God level, as a miner. Hell yeah, that was satisfying.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Irisi posted:

Is sodding useless, is what it is. I thought I could gallop merrily up to the top of Snowpeak Mountain and through towns on it, but the bloody thing stops at the camp near the bottom of the mountain, and at the gates of towns. Plus, the directional controls while you're on it are clumsy and unresponsive, and I keep forgetting I've gone somewhere on it, teleport to a town and then realise I've left my horse the other side of the world.

Much better to buy your holiday homes ASAP, find out who can row/guide you to the various dungeons, and increase your Dashing skill, those combined gets you places much quicker and easier.

I just got my first God level, as a miner. Hell yeah, that was satisfying.

yeah I never used the horse bc that's exactly what I assumed it'd be like

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

guys, I might have an issue. I've spent 8 hours reaching fledging or apprentice in every life. Getting gathering lifes help a lot with mat collecting. Nice that you can still fish/mine/chop without actually being in that class.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Irisi posted:

Really wish you made this post a few minutes earlier, I just blew my first Bliss upgrade on a horse. :(

E: I like this should i play MMO's?

Factory Davey fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 26, 2014

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Corridor posted:

seriously everybody misses this

the op just has way the gently caress too much small detail and it's easy to miss key stuff

It's literally the second sentence in the section about the class system. If you don't have the attention span or reading comprehension to get that far it's not my problem.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Really wish you made this post a few minutes earlier, I just blew my first Bliss upgrade on a horse. :(

Eh, you'll get the first half-dozen or so Bliss upgrades very easily, especially if you upgrade your Life levels from Fledging to Apprentice in a few different careers, that gives you lots of extra Bliss.

I pretty much accessed all 12 Lives as soon as I was able, just so I could swap them about without a problem when I was locked into an actual story section of the game, I had a lot of Bliss very early on.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Genpei Turtle posted:

It's literally the second sentence in the section about the class system. If you don't have the attention span or reading comprehension to get that far it's not my problem.

"That major thing is literally mentioned off-hand in second sentence of the seventh paragraph, CAN YOU EVEN READ?!"

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

I like this should i play MMO's?

If you like this game you would probably love the crafting/gathering in FFXIV.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This game is just sooooo charming. That's what makes or breaks a HM style game, I think, just utter oozing charm and heart. Tomogachi Life failed, for me, because it felt so sterile. You had a machine you plugged people in to find if they would have a baby soon, you had a same staying apartment building that existed only to curate minigames, all that. This game though is just soaked in charm.

I decided to be an Angler next because I adore fishing/cooking in MMOs and all, and of COURSE my intro quest to it is 'an old sailor wants a special fish, so let's find a cat to lead us to the special fish and get it for him because that's what fishers do in this world apparently'. Also I love that it's basically 'combat' with the fish instead of Animal Crossing/HM style 'when it goes 'plop' hit A'.

edit: And of COURSE the chef quest is to talk to a chicken and cow to get eggs and milk for a special dish because why would you ever talk to a farmer in this world? :kimchi:

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 26, 2014

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Irisi posted:

Eh, you'll get the first half-dozen or so Bliss upgrades very easily, especially if you upgrade your Life levels from Fledging to Apprentice in a few different careers, that gives you lots of extra Bliss.

I pretty much accessed all 12 Lives as soon as I was able, just so I could swap them about without a problem when I was locked into an actual story section of the game, I had a lot of Bliss very early on.

Yeah getting Bliss is pretty easy. I actually thought the horse was pretty useful though and used it all the time, even though it couldn't go into dungeons and the like. Though the tortoises in the second town are much cuter. :3:

I actually only did a couple of Lives myself for each story section, jumping between 3 or so for each, and didn't unlock them all at once. It's a matter of preference of course, but I really hate having an enormous quest backlog, which is really really easy to do in Fantasy Life if you have too many Lives going on at once.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

How are you distributing level up points?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I'm sorry some of you guys don't know how to use horses effectively?

It sucks that they can't go in towns, but their ability to get you across the fields faster with no sp usage and to protect your bounties while you ride them is pretty drat great. I've never really bothered with the rental horses, but I use my own personal horse all the drat time.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Enjoying this so far. Just doing all the Fledgling quests for now so I can do all the things at least a bit. Also I guess I beat up a ghost and put him in a box and sold him to the guild. Just because he was in the way really.

There's no penalties or anything for staying up all night are there?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

gmq posted:

How are you distributing level up points?

Don't worry too much about that--stick them in whatever you like. You can respec your stat points as much as you want later in the game. (Also with a random Lunares coin reward)

McDragon posted:

There's no penalties or anything for staying up all night are there?

Nope. That's one of the reasons I prefer this game to Rune Factory 4--no penalties for not sleeping, and you never "miss" anything because it only happens at a certain date at a certain time.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Is that what those boxes are? I've had 2 of them drop and then I wacked them with a sword until they broke and didn't get anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Asnorban posted:

Is that what those boxes are? I've had 2 of them drop and then I wacked them with a sword until they broke and didn't get anything.

Yup, they're bounties. You can bring them to the Guild building for dosh and fantastic prizes.

• Locked thread