Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'm going snowboarding in January and it'd be handy to be able to bring my phone along to take photos and videos. Can anyone recommend a good iPhone 6 case that is water/snow proof in case I drop it or fall? A wrist strap built in to the case plus a stylus holder so I don't have to take my gloves off would be very useful, too.

I can do you one better.

http://youtu.be/U8jsDWV8YpQ
Hit them hills and crush that pussy brah!

I don't think otterbox or lifeproof have their waterproof cases out yet so you're kind of out of luck. Unless you want to put your faith in shady sub-$20 waterproof cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

averox posted:

I can do you one better.

I don't think otterbox or lifeproof have their waterproof cases out yet so you're kind of out of luck. Unless you want to put your faith in shady sub-$20 waterproof cases.

I hope he smashed.

Also, yeah, I'd just wait until late December (or early January if you're going late) and then just peer around Amazon for a suitable case.

Edit: that Amazon Visa works with Apple Pay now.

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 24, 2014

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

I'm waiting on the Lifeproof myself. I'm not expecting to get my 6+ until the end of November anyway, but if the LP isn't out by then I'll probably get some cheap rubbery case to absorb some impact and stick the whole thing in a ziplock.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

averox posted:

I can do you one better.

:catstare:

This is what people think looks cooler than being a "hipster iPhone poser"??

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

Edit: that Amazon Visa works with Apple Pay now.

Yup, just added my card now. I'll play around with it soon.

I guess I don't know what Passport mean by rewards cards then. It didn't get my Stop & Shop, Price Chopper, or BJ's membership cards.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

So the high speed camera is awesome, if only for taking slow motion videos of people doing raspberrys.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

NinetySevenA posted:

So the high speed camera is awesome, if only for taking slow motion videos of people doing raspberrys.

Post evidence or it didn't happen. :colbert:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

NinetySevenA posted:

Yeah it is. The camera is probably one of the main reasons I upgraded from a 5S. I've got a few awesome slo-mo videos that I'll have to upload sometime.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm actually enjoying the new Inbox. It's definitely not for people who wanna follow normal email habits but I can definitely see the direction they're attempting to take emails. I wouldn't want it for my "stuff" email but for a professional line it's really neat.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Thwomp posted:

Post evidence or it didn't happen. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF9gZ34q7CQ#t=976

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

How much free space is there on a brand new 128gig iPhone? Y'know, cause OS takes up space and stuff.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The OS and file system takes like 3.75gb for a 16gb device. File system overhead will obviously be greater for a larger capacity device.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Snuffman posted:

How much free space is there on a brand new 128gig iPhone? Y'know, cause OS takes up space and stuff.

According to iTunes, 115 gigs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Snuffman posted:

"Other" takes up n+1gb, where n is whatever amount of space causes you to care.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Selane posted:

According to iTunes, 115 gigs.

This is what I wanted to know, thanks! :)

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
My brother upgraded his 5s to 8.1and now Youtube videos won't play in Safari. It just spins and loads. I'm guessing it's a bug and you can't downgrade to iOS7?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

b0nes posted:

My brother upgraded his 5s to 8.1and now Youtube videos won't play in Safari. It just spins and loads. I'm guessing it's a bug and you can't downgrade to iOS7?

That's a new one to me. My SO's 5S doesn't seem to be having any issues (I have a 6 plus with no issues on YouTube and safari either, for what it's worth). Is it just in Safari? Does he get the same result when trying to pull up the same video in the YouTube app? Tried different WiFi networks with same result?

You can always take it in to the Apple Store and have them look at it. Or call them.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

b0nes posted:

My 5S on 8.1 is loading Safari Youtube fine. Try plugging it in and doing a backup/restore.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you took a backup in iTunes before upgrading you can restore that. But you really should try to unfuck it in the new version. I haven't seen anyone else experiencing that.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

flosofl posted:

That's a new one to me. My SO's 5S doesn't seem to be having any issues (I have a 6 plus with no issues on YouTube and safari either, for what it's worth). Is it just in Safari? Does he get the same result when trying to pull up the same video in the YouTube app? Tried different WiFi networks with same result?

You can always take it in to the Apple Store and have them look at it. Or call them.

He didn't make a backup. I was meaning to tell him to hold off on upgrading.
Videos don't play in the official Youtube app. I had him make an appointment for Monday at the Genius bar but he is going to try to walk in today.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

b0nes posted:

He didn't make a backup. I was meaning to tell him to hold off on upgrading.
Videos don't play in the official Youtube app. I had him make an appointment for Monday at the Genius bar but he is going to try to walk in today.

The Genius Bar is going to restore his phone. He can restore his phone at home. There's no reason not to try it at this point.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

tuyop posted:

The Genius Bar is going to restore his phone. He can restore his phone at home. There's no reason not to try it at this point.

Sorry I am not familiar with iOS will restoring it downgrade it to iOS 7? He uses iTunes at work since he doesn't have a computer at home. He didn't want to wait till Monday.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

b0nes posted:

Sorry I am not familiar with iOS will restoring it downgrade it to iOS 7? He uses iTunes at work since he doesn't have a computer at home. He didn't want to wait till Monday.

The steps:

1. Get iTunes.
2. Plug phone into computer.
3. Click on phone, click, "backup now". Make sure you select encrypted backup to preserve app passwords.
4. Wait for backup to complete.
5. Click "restore" in iTunes.
6. When prompted, select backup from "restore from this backup" drop down.

It's bizarre that he has no computer, here's how you do it with iCloud. (He has wifi in his home right?)

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph12521

The iCloud one is not as convenient but it's the same poo poo they'll try at the store.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Here's one of the better slo mo videos I've captured with the 6. I like how it turns kids screaming into whales communicating underwater.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05pRpWfKW7k

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Here's one of the better slo mo videos I've captured with the 6. I like how it turns kids screaming into whales communicating underwater.

How does the slo mo work? Do you record the entire thing and then edit in the slo mo parts later or do you have to push a slo mo button while recording?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Keystoned posted:

How does the slo mo work? Do you record the entire thing and then edit in the slo mo parts later or do you have to push a slo mo button while recording?

It records everything on 120 or 240fps (can't remember which one the 6 does) then you can edit/choose which section of the video is slowed down.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It records everything on 120 or 240fps (can't remember which one the 6 does) then you can edit/choose which section of the video is slowed down.
The 6 can record in 240 or 120. The 5S can only do 120.

Astiesan
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, about that.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I don't know why, but this made me giggle like a child at work.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is that right? My slow mo videos are much larger than regular videos, and I don't see any edit button on the regular ones. Unless you're saying you choose sections after you've recorded a video on the slowmo tab.

In the camera app you can swipe left and right to select slow mo, panorama, time lapse, etc. That's how I've gotten to it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

As you said, you have to specifically select Slo Mo in the camera app. When you go to watch the video, you'll see sliders underneath the progress bar. Move the sliders to the section you want in slo mo.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Every promotional Apple Slowmo Video (but also like, some well done review ones) is crisp and amazing. But the ones I take (even on a gorgeous sunny day outside) have artifacting around the high motion points. (as does yours a bit.)

I can't figure out what the difference between THEIRS and OURS is. :\

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

THEIRS is likely pulled into a HIGH END VIDEO MASTERING SUITE while OURS is COMPRESSED TO HELL ON YOUTUBE.

I always laugh when they say "these photos were taken with an iPhone" because you just know that the phone was the only non-professional aspect of it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

carry on then posted:

THEIRS is likely pulled into a HIGH END VIDEO MASTERING SUITE while OURS is COMPRESSED TO HELL ON YOUTUBE.

I always laugh when they say "these photos were taken with an iPhone" because you just know that the phone was the only non-professional aspect of it.

Well, I notice the compression even on my phone before I put it anywhere. (just in camera roll.)

I'm sure Editing in Post can get rid of a lot of that stuff, but their stuff just looks so clean I wonder if thats something you can really do to remove noise artifacting and not have it looks smudgey or fake.

You're probably right, though. Just a little disappointing. Because the regular speed video is loving phenomenal.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Every promotional Apple Slowmo Video (but also like, some well done review ones) is crisp and amazing. But the ones I take (even on a gorgeous sunny day outside) have artifacting around the high motion points. (as does yours a bit.)

I can't figure out what the difference between THEIRS and OURS is. :\

Yeah, run your poo poo through cleanup in FCP and see how it turns out.

Even that may not work because I imagine that Apple's promotional people have access to the media at a lower level than consumers.

There's a reason that if you take the same video with a professional camera (even something very low-end like an NX5U) and an iPhone, the camera's media is a much larger file.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah, it's not really any one thing they have that we don't, they control absolutely everything, master it in FCP, have trained video technicians who know exactly what to look for and how to mitigate imperfections, and can pick and choose what footage they show.

I mean, it's cool that a cell phone can be a part of a professional video workflow and not hold everything up, but there's definitely a lot more effort put into 5 seconds of promo than what normal people will do with their own videos.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
That answers everything except for why I saw some really, REALLY good crisp, fast action slowmo videos on "camera tests" on places like 9to5mac etc.. I mean, I KNOW you guys are right, but the videos on review/comparison sites swore up and down they were unaltered. (Defeats the purpose otherwise.)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's all about good lighting. The high speed stuff needs LOTS of light because of what is basically a fast shutter speed.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It's all about good lighting. The high speed stuff needs LOTS of light because of what is basically a fast shutter speed.

Yeah. I'll drop it. I had amazing lighting on a sunny gorgeous day at the park. I know Apple would have the likelihood of post processing for ads. But I'd seen other samples that came out far better than mine (Mine had like artifacts trailing where the subject in motion had just left) and it made me wonder if that was it or if there was something else at play.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah, looking at Apple's 240fps jump rope sample video they were using as an example, you can see shadows being cast in all sorts of directions because they have at the least 3 light sources out of the frame plus the sun. Add in all the post processing to smooth things out even more and you've got a great promo video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Yeah. I'll drop it. I had amazing lighting on a sunny gorgeous day at the park. I know Apple would have the likelihood of post processing for ads. But I'd seen other samples that came out far better than mine (Mine had like artifacts trailing where the subject in motion had just left) and it made me wonder if that was it or if there was something else at play.

I don't think we have to drop it, this is interesting. The unadulterated review site videos definitely mean that something else is at work. I assume they're posted to YouTube, but if they're inline and hosted on the site's servers, maybe that helps explain it?

Guy who posted that swing set video, would you mind posting it to other sites like Vimeo, Flickr, and Veoh? It'd be good to get the straight file through Dropbox or something too.

I'd do it but I'm too busy right now. :shobon: