Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Vending machines are much better than BL2, but most of the other drop rates aren't that much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
I've been having a lot of fun with The Pre-sequel and consequently started learning how to avoid getting downed while soloing. Rocket launchers are amazing in this game. They helped me burst down Deadlift and the Constructor boss. I used to be a bit miffed by the price tag of the ammo, but they're a great insurance option.

BL2 was a pretty frustrating game for me but I'm starting to realize I didn't enjoy it enough to be patient with it. Half way through my TVHM Presequel playthrough , I'm up for giving BL2 another shot (even after 55 hours of playtime in BL2).

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Genocyber posted:

Vending machines are much better than BL2, but most of the other drop rates aren't that much better.

The drop rates are significantly better, at least for legendaries. I have 1250 hours in BL2 and 100 in TPS and so far, I've gotten as many legendaries from regular enemies in TPS as I have from regular enemies in BL2. From the playthroughs I've done so far, it seems like at least 1 random boss is going to drop a legendary for me whereas the only real hope I'd get for a legendary in any given BL2 playthrough was from the warrior. This is of course, not factoring in farming. I've gotten 3 legendaries so far in my latest TPS playthrough (not factoring in machines) and that is a godsend from BL2's standard.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

In 50 hours the only legendaries I've gotten not from farming are two ZX-1's from Zarpedon.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
If you want legendary stuff, just sit in town and check the vending machines, resetting the game if there is nothing you want in them.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I am happy to report that The Sham + Logan's Gun still allows you to refill rockets.

Also, how do you get bosses to respawn in this?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mastersord posted:

I am happy to report that The Sham + Logan's Gun still allows you to refill rockets.

Also, how do you get bosses to respawn in this?

Quit and reload. A fair amount of bosses do not respawn, however.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

watho posted:

I was doing a lap through Concordia before calling it a night and this happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhlmwFnrS5c

Not sure why you guys mess around with the drop rates in this game. :confused:

I've gotten the ZX-1 twice on a single playthrough (and under very different circumstances, not farming)...but still, not at the exact same time.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Uh oh! It looks like this post is malfunctioning for some reason. Better check this other post:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3666603&pagenumber=66&perpage=40#post437305864

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 24, 2014

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
I notice there's single loot box with a skull on the top, just above the awning over the entryway to the lift to the Merrif's Office in Concordia. If you open it, you get poisoned with a whole bunch of My Little Pony looking things.

Uh. What's the deal with that?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Arach posted:

I notice there's single loot box with a skull on the top, just above the awning over the entryway to the lift to the Merrif's Office in Concordia. If you open it, you get poisoned with a whole bunch of My Little Pony looking things.

Uh. What's the deal with that?

I looked it up on Google and apparently it's for a kid from the Make a Wish foundation who wanted his name in the game (his name is Isaiah, and if you look inside the box it says "Isaiah's Loot, hands off"). The ponies and w/e are because Gaige is his favorite character from BL2.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
Just got it and yeah, that looks like the visual effect that using Gaige's "Discord" skill gave you.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Rokstar posted:

I looked it up on Google and apparently it's for a kid from the Make a Wish foundation who wanted his name in the game (his name is Isaiah, and if you look inside the box it says "Isaiah's Loot, hands off"). The ponies and w/e are because Gaige is his favorite character from BL2.

Aww. :3:

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
I am the Professional Ninja
In Staunton's Liver, there is a weird Monolith looking thing way off of the train tracks that takes you to a different dimension (?) or something like that. Last time I went there was in regular mode before beating the game, and nothing happened except for that it took me to an empty field, and when I went back through the monolith there it took me into a small room with a Dahl chest. Is that area used for anything else after the game is completed or in True Vault Hunter mode or something?

The Rokstar posted:

I thought I was going crazy (and so did my friends when I tried to explain that to them when it happened to me), so thank you for looking that up. I tried searching for it, but didn't find anything because I thought they were cats on the screen effect.

ProfessionalNinja fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 26, 2014

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

The drop rates are significantly better, at least for legendaries. I have 1250 hours in BL2 and 100 in TPS and so far, I've gotten as many legendaries from regular enemies in TPS as I have from regular enemies in BL2. From the playthroughs I've done so far, it seems like at least 1 random boss is going to drop a legendary for me whereas the only real hope I'd get for a legendary in any given BL2 playthrough was from the warrior. This is of course, not factoring in farming. I've gotten 3 legendaries so far in my latest TPS playthrough (not factoring in machines) and that is a godsend from BL2's standard.

I guess I've seen more legendaries too but I don't think that's a good way to judge the overall quality of the loot drops. A couple more legendaries here and there ain't much of an improvement if you're still getting white and greens 95% of the time.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

The Rokstar posted:

Gaige owns completely and is the only reason I'd go back to Borderlands 2.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ProfessionalNinja posted:

In Staunton's Liver, there is a weird Monolith looking thing way off of the train tracks that takes you to a different dimension (?) or something like that. Last time I went there was in regular mode before beating the game, and nothing happened except for that it took me to an empty field, and when I went back through the monolith there it took me into a small room with a Dahl chest. Is that area used for anything else after the game is completed or in True Vault Hunter mode or something?

It's a 2001 reference.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004

Genocyber posted:

It's a 2001 reference.

Just realized that after the final transport with the little picture it leaves up for a few seconds. I thought it might have like a boss or quest or something there for some added end game content.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I downloaded the cetrainer for changing drop weights, but after making a preset and removing the version check EXACTLY how it says in the BL2 thread, it fails. It says something about being unable to execute lua [RarityChances] something something "<eof> expected at end" or something. Can someone just upload a correctly altered cetrainer file? I don't know why there isn't one in the other thread's walkthrough instead of having every single person change it themselves and hopefully not gently caress something up and not know how they did (like me).

EDIT: Figured I'd just edit them manually, but the cetrainer doesn't recognize my TPS. It just sits there with "Waiting for Borderlands2 process..." on the first checkbox forever, and I can't load presets or anything. Fuckin :lol:

EDIT: Found a table that apparently actually works on my own in the CE forums. At least it is loading and found my game. Going to fudge the drop rates to check.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 26, 2014

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue
Any PS3 players online right now willing to help me out? Getting my rear end handed to me by Deadlift in TVHM. I really don't get why he's the first boss in the game. I found him significantly harder than anything else in first play through, including the raid boss. Username is poutling on PSN (currently playing level 30 Athena).

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Poutling posted:

Any PS3 players online right now willing to help me out? Getting my rear end handed to me by Deadlift in TVHM. I really don't get why he's the first boss in the game. I found him significantly harder than anything else in first play through, including the raid boss. Username is poutling on PSN (currently playing level 30 Athena).

What really helped me for that fight was using the bright spadroon laser you get for the the star wars reference quest near the end of the game during PT1. It's always extremely high shock damage and so it murders his shield and then has still enough damage to rip through his health. Only difficult part of this can be catching up with him and avoiding fire while you do so.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Having a good shield also helps. I switched out a Quick Shield for the Anshin elemental resist one (forget name) when I was having trouble and it made things a lot easier.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

AHungryRobot posted:

I guess I've seen more legendaries too but I don't think that's a good way to judge the overall quality of the loot drops. A couple more legendaries here and there ain't much of an improvement if you're still getting white and greens 95% of the time.

I've been swimming in blues and purples without even using the grinder its definitely better than bl2.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue
Was just about to edit - finally got it. Took for-loving-ever but I hung back and sniped him from near the doorway with a shock sniper until he was almost dead and then used a shock smg to finish him off. Still looking for the perfect shield but luckily I have that really great legendary Oz kit that occasionally replenishes your shields for you.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
I felt like BL2 had such abysmal drop rates that CheatEngine was pretty much required to make the drop rates feel right, how is TPS in this regard?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Tezzeract posted:

The endgame looks like it might have some issues going forward

The non-weapon stuff you'd want to farm for is tied to one-off encounters. You can grind up legendary guns but you need legendaries to begin with, so farming is just resetting vending machines forever. If you use gibbed then there's virtually no endgame content anyway. Every single problem is fixable via patches and DLC, so hopefully this won't remain the case for long.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

I've been swimming in blues and purples without even using the grinder its definitely better than bl2.

Where have you found most of your blues and purples. I know the blue moonstone chests and vendor items of the day have a good chance to be blue or higher but outside those two things I'm not really seeing anything that great.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

AHungryRobot posted:

Where have you found most of your blues and purples. I know the blue moonstone chests and vendor items of the day have a good chance to be blue or higher but outside those two things I'm not really seeing anything that great.

Vender items are the first thing that comes to mind. I got good chest drops too. But if you feel you dont get good guns the grinder is amazing for that. If you are swimming in greens take 3 and turn em into a blue. Same for purples. The grinder also stays operational in tvhm so you dont have to do the quest again after reaching concordia.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Before I used cheat engine I probably averaged around 1 blue for every 15 chests I opened. I probably saw 2 purples in all the chests I opened in a playthrough, not counting the ones you have to spend moonstone on. The grinder's a nice addition but I like the idea of finding nice things in world drops and chests fairly often too, like BL1 had.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Vender items are the first thing that comes to mind. I got good chest drops too. But if you feel you dont get good guns the grinder is amazing for that. If you are swimming in greens take 3 and turn em into a blue. Same for purples. The grinder also stays operational in tvhm so you dont have to do the quest again after reaching concordia.

If you grind guns then you can't sell them, which means you won't have enough money when an orange shows up in a shop (they seriously don't give you enough money in this game).

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
True, dont grind everything. Also you can use the loot cheat I suppose. I'm not that far into TVHM yet and I havent felt the weapon crunch too bad. I am squishier tho. I beat deadlift tvhm first try by making good use of that guaranteed shock sniper you get early.

tips for tvhm Deadlift:
1. Use the shock sniper they give you guaranteed from one of the beginning quests, saves a lot of headache as its level appropriate.
2. Let him flail around like an idiot for the first 30 seconds. He settles down and futzes with the generators which is the perfect time to snipe his shields down.
3. Stay out of range of him at all times especially at the beginning until he settles down.
4. Its really hard to ffyl because the adds are at weird angles so focus on staying alive, running up and shotgunning him in the face especially with the electrified floor will give poor results. Can't emphasize the shock sniper enough

RonMexicosPitbull fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 26, 2014

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
This "Recruitment Drive" quest is such loving bullshit. They need to up the time to like 5-6 minutes. 4 minutes is definitely not enough time to finish this poo poo (solo at least).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ProfessionalNinja posted:

This "Recruitment Drive" quest is such loving bullshit. They need to up the time to like 5-6 minutes. 4 minutes is definitely not enough time to finish this poo poo (solo at least).

It's doable solo, but you gotta be very quick.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't have any trouble with Recruitment Drive at all, although you've got to be really good at vehicle driving to make it on time.

e:

True, dont grind everything. Also you can use the loot cheat I suppose. I'm not that far into TVHM yet and I havent felt the weapon crunch too bad. I am squishier tho. I beat deadlift tvhm first try by making good use of that guaranteed shock sniper you get early.

tips for tvhm Deadlift:
1. Use the shock sniper they give you guaranteed from one of the beginning quests, saves a lot of headache as its level appropriate.
2. Let him flail around like an idiot for the first 30 seconds. He settles down and futzes with the generators which is the perfect time to snipe his shields down.
3. Stay out of range of him at all times especially at the beginning until he settles down.
4. Its really hard to ffyl because the adds are at weird angles so focus on staying alive, running up and shotgunning him in the face especially with the electrified floor will give poor results. Can't emphasize the shock sniper enough
Or, if all else fails, find a grounded shield and laugh as suddenly 75% of his attacks do nothing to you.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I downloaded the cetrainer for changing drop weights, but after making a preset and removing the version check EXACTLY how it says in the BL2 thread, it fails. It says something about being unable to execute lua [RarityChances] something something "<eof> expected at end" or something. Can someone just upload a correctly altered cetrainer file? I don't know why there isn't one in the other thread's walkthrough instead of having every single person change it themselves and hopefully not gently caress something up and not know how they did (like me).

EDIT: Figured I'd just edit them manually, but the cetrainer doesn't recognize my TPS. It just sits there with "Waiting for Borderlands2 process..." on the first checkbox forever, and I can't load presets or anything. Fuckin :lol:

EDIT: Found a table that apparently actually works on my own in the CE forums. At least it is loading and found my game. Going to fudge the drop rates to check.

I've posted this twice already but I already did this and got it working.

:siren::siren::siren:EASY LOOT TABLE FILE FOR THE PRESEQUEL:siren::siren::siren:

AirRaid posted:

OK so I futzed with the Loot table that AHungryRobot Linked and decided it was too complicated and annoying, so I took the salient points from that one and threw them into the old loot table file for BL2.

Result: TPS Loot table file with a lot easier access and the "Sensible" preset I made for BL2 alreaady loaded. :siren:Grab it here.:siren: This also has the dumb CE 6.2 check removed so you can use the newer versions with no hassle.

Credit to whoever made the original, I forget.

You can just run that file direct, once TPS is loaded. Click the Item/Rarity checkbox then the presets one and choose a preset, or modify the numbers manually. I'm not sure if the "Drops" section at the bottom works any more, might be broken.

Four clicks to better loot drops. gently caress the dumb complicated other table with all the extra crap.

E: I was gonna ask Smashpro to put this in the OP but of courrse he doesn't have plat. Smashpro1 can you put this in the OP please. People keep asking.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 26, 2014

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

I'm at level 24. On xbox so haven't done any editing

7 legendary so far. 3 grenade package. One shotgun. One oz kit. One class mod. And one sniper I couldn't afford.

Finding the vending machines doing lot more than bl2 so far. 2 grenade, class mod and sniper were in vending machines.

You do a lot of go backs with fetch quests. Bit in this one I'm liking it cause switch back from normal to low oxygen

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Does Gibbed's save editor work with PS3 saves? Liking the game so far but it doesn't give you anywhere near enough cash - I want to edit my save so I can actually afford half the stuff that comes up in the vending machines.

Also is it just me or did they get rid of the ability to label stuff in your inventory as trash so you could batch sell them at vending machines? It looks like you can only label items as favourites rather than trash now.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

kim jong-illin posted:

Does Gibbed's save editor work with PS3 saves? Liking the game so far but it doesn't give you anywhere near enough cash - I want to edit my save so I can actually afford half the stuff that comes up in the vending machines.

Also is it just me or did they get rid of the ability to label stuff in your inventory as trash so you could batch sell them at vending machines? It looks like you can only label items as favourites rather than trash now.
That's a feature, I guess they thought people shouldn't want to vendor stuff with the grinder in game? When you use vending machines, the option "sell trash" is now "sell non-favourites" and really sells everything but your favourites and equipped gear.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

They made it way easier to vendor everything with that change…

Now you mark the stuff you want to keep instead of manually marking all the stuff you want to sell which took the same amount of time as selling them manually anyways.

They made that feature so much better than in BL2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Someone play BL2 with me (lvl 20) http://steamcommunity.com/id/Edelguard Or I could create a new character to play the DLC

• Locked thread