Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
WHERE THE gently caress WAS EVERYBODY

THEY WERE IN THE MIDDLE OF LONDON

I mean. What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
What the gently caress was this

I mean, the spirits of the forest just literally saved the earth and brought a little girl's sister to life?

loving magic how does it work

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Unkempt posted:

At first I thought it was somehow only the Coal Hill school group in a London otherwise empty of people, but full of trees.

That would have been a far neater premise. It would have been lonely and creepy and beautiful in a way that opening scene of the whole city totally was, but the rest of the episode aggressively and densely wasn't.

But then they pulled back to the green globe, and I was wondering what the gently caress all those trees were doing in the ocean, and then all the super stupid news announcements started flying around about super trivial things, when people would be dying all over to house fires and medical emergencies.

Doctor Who has always had a pretty bad sense of scale, but that's no excuse for this episode having a terrible sense of scale. I dearly hope someone sits back, feels bad about this episode, and makes the conscious decision to tell more smaller scale stories. Doctor Who can do those perfectly. Just... please limit the scale.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
Who has a school sleepover in a museum

e:Nevermind it seems like that's actually a thing.

Shame about the rest of this episode that didn't make any goddamn sense at all.
Oh and the child actors were beyond terrible. Why are all the children in this series so blasé about space/time travel and magic? Children are horrible in your mind, writers, we get it, but children are often STOKED about things like dinosaurs, on paper, in a book. Yet everytime a child comes on board the TARDIS he ends up going like ''gently caress this I just want to go gome''. It's a bit repetitive.

Super.Jesus fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 26, 2014

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
This is going to be a very cute episode and I'm lookin' forward to it (US airing).

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Jerusalem posted:

I was dumb, Clara WAS one of the teachers supervising the night at the museum. For some reason I missed that and thought she was just eagerly running around outside trying to contact the Doctor to come see, then ran into Danny and the kids.

It's me, I'm the guy who is bad at watching television and the reason they throw in all those unnecessary flashbacks and voiceovers to explain what is happening :dawkins101:

Hand in your Tardis avatar and your gun J-ru, you're off the force :clint:.

PrBacterio posted:

So am I the only one who actually liked what they showed in the next episode preview? It looks to be a step up from this week's terrible episode, at least :smith:

I'm REALLY looking forward to next week's episode, it looks :catdrugs: as hell. It'll be nice to see an episode that ties into the season-long arc and where I have no clue what's going on for most of it, usually I hop in at the end of the season after the word's out.

Also, I just figured that making people forget was part of the tree's superpowers, along with growing rapidly and disappearing and making missing and/or dead girls appear.

This episode did make me think that they really need to get the writer of the last two episode to write as many Dr. Who episodes as possible though. Amazing how much an episode's quality can vary from writer to writer.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
I still don't get how the point of the episode is TREES ARE MAGIC, SUCK IT.

Also when they said they were here before the doctor and they would be there after him, they were straight out lying; he was the formation of the Earth and its destruction. Suck it, tree fairies.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Should've had more missing people or something or people disappearing to explain why London was empty. I dunno, I wondered if they ever considered it at least.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

NowonSA posted:

Hand in your Tardis avatar and your gun J-ru, you're off the force :clint:.

I'm REALLY looking forward to next week's episode, it looks :catdrugs: as hell. It'll be nice to see an episode that ties into the season-long arc and where I have no clue what's going on for most of it, usually I hop in at the end of the season after the word's out.

Yeah, from the preview I feel like Jenna Coleman chewing the scenery and going full-on :moreevil: as... Evil Clara? Evil being masquerading as Clara? Clara was the Master all along and regenerates into Missy a la Derek Jacobi at the end of the episode? is going to be fun to watch.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Unkempt posted:

Behind the trees, obviously :v:

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Sober posted:

Should've had more missing people or something or people disappearing to explain why London was empty. I dunno, I wondered if they ever considered it at least.

Do those other people matter? It's a tighter, crisper story without the chaff of time being wasted on reaction shots.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Do those other people matter? It's a tighter, crisper story without the chaff of time being wasted on reaction shots.
But did it have to take place in London, if they weren't going to go to the effort of it except wide shots of the city but with more trees?

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Well, it provides a more meaningful juxtaposition for the story's scenario than "we were camping in the forest. Now the forest is thicker!"

I enjoyed it a good deal. Not as good as most of the rest of the season (I feel the only weak part has been the first half of/anything Vastra-related from Deep Breath), but it was pleasant, some great moments from all the principals, and the kids were engaged enough with the material that they weren't embarrassing/were downright cute most of the episode.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Was it just me or on BBC America at least was the episode in some weird disconcerting mix of film and video? It was like that Monty Python skit and it just kept taking me out. Like some shots were in this crisp, clear video look and then it would snap back into a filmish style.

Maybe I watched it on the BBCA HD for the first time or something? I thought I always did though.

It was odd and kept taking me out of the episode. :confused:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It was kind of choppy but it was a fun little romp, I'm guessing Clara sending the girl to the Doctor is going to be a thing for the finale though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It was ridiculous and inconsistent and not very well thought out in places and had some dubious (and I assume unintentional) messages.

I loved it.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, I totally noticed that speed-up too. BBC America has a very bad habit of speeding up episodes to fit in more commercials/avoid actually cutting any content like they used to do in the latter Tennant/early Matt Smith episodes. They do it, they get called out on it on the social media sites, then they stop doing it for a few episodes until they think everyone's not going to notice, then they do it again.

The most egregious example was A Good Man Goes To War, where the final River monologue over the final battle suddenly speeds up to Benny Hill levels, with Eleven running down corridors pumping his arms furiously and the Ganger-baby just really quickly and hilariously exploding rather than melting away. Having watched the BBC feed earlier in the day for that, and then watching the BBC America broadcast with my wife, it was even more pronounced.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Astroman posted:

Was it just me or on BBC America at least was the episode in some weird disconcerting mix of film and video? It was like that Monty Python skit and it just kept taking me out. Like some shots were in this crisp, clear video look and then it would snap back into a filmish style.

Maybe I watched it on the BBCA HD for the first time or something? I thought I always did though.

It was odd and kept taking me out of the episode. :confused:

BBC America was super-weird about the framerates last week, I remember that much. I watched today's story on iPlayer via Hola as-it-aired but I'll check my local DVR copy later because you're probably not imagining it.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

That episode was absolutely ridiculous, but in a campy and fun way that Kill The Moon was not.

Dishonorable Disco
Dec 22, 2009

the sun always shines on TV

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

~did you ever know that you're my heee-roooooo?~ :allears:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Random thoughts based on some of the things discussed:

- I don't have a problem with people forgetting about the forest. The Doctor wasn't saying that everyone would forget the next day or anything, he's saying that without any leads as to the Why of it, it becomes an unsolvable mystery that after time will fade. Take the Tunguska Event or the other one I couldn't understand cuz of Capaldi's accent: sure, us grognards know what they were, but your average person doesn't even know it happened. Give or take a few more centuries, and even less people'll know it. Same thing about the Day The Forests Came Up.

- I liked that they refreshed the Clara Is Being Too Doctor-Like line. She's not worried about the kids, she's focused on the mystery.

- When Capaldi leaned in to talk to kids, I got Beakman's World vibes. Every time.

- "I don't want to be the last of my kind." loving ouch. Hell, I think that's part of what some people miss with the message: do you think these kids'll wanna live as the Last Six Of Humanity, without their family?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This episode was harmful.

This episode made me feel something- raw seething anger.

Honest to God, not the usual internet bullshit angry in a good way or angry in a fun way.

This episode was moronic, and HARMFUL to me personally.

I don't really care what anyone else has to say on this one. I'll listen to the thousands of ways you could redeem loving Christmas Carol, go ahead, that's all plot bullshit.

I don't care that the trees were magical or that the sonic screwdriver is a magic wand or that the problem just goes away or that the people aren't there or any of it because it's in the end just factors of a dumb story that isn't going to hurt anyone.

Clara CHOOSING to kill children instead of saving them? Not THINKING about the fact that they have a time machine that can zip around and grab MORE people? Such as parents?

That's pretty bad. That's god awful.

Here's what killed the episode for me and after which I, MYSELF, cannot enjoy.

I would have shut this episode off if I was not watching with others. I still almost did a few times.

A child is hearing voices, and ALL the Doctor can say is "why are you giving her medicine" out right stating that hearing voices is not a bad thing and is not harmful and that the child did not need medicine.

And since the Doctor is the role model of the show and this is a show for families including children, that means ANY child will hear that message.

Especially the children WHO NEED THAT MEDICINE.

As a brother who had a sister with schizophrenia and sociopathic tendencies? gently caress You.

As a person who has severe ADHD and needs medicine to function properly? gently caress YOU.

As a grandson who lives with his grandmother who has dementia?

And if that wasn't enough to piss me off, we have this WONDERFUL tid bit that is UTTERLY THROWN UNDER THE RUG- the military is going to be spraying CITIES with DEFOLIANT AGENTS?

HUMAN POPULATED AREAS.

As a grandson whose grandfather died due to lung cancer brought on because of exposure to Agent Orange?

Words, written or verbal, do not begin to cover it.

All of it, all of it just piled on, one after the other, made this an inexcusable episode of television.

If I wasn't as invested as I am in the series and franchise as a whole, this episode would make me quit watching.

I am dead serious.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Burkion posted:

This episode was harmful.

This episode made me feel something- raw seething anger.

Honest to God, not the usual internet bullshit angry in a good way or angry in a fun way.

This episode was moronic, and HARMFUL to me personally.

I don't really care what anyone else has to say on this one. I'll listen to the thousands of ways you could redeem loving Christmas Carol, go ahead, that's all plot bullshit.

I don't care that the trees were magical or that the sonic screwdriver is a magic wand or that the problem just goes away or that the people aren't there or any of it because it's in the end just factors of a dumb story that isn't going to hurt anyone.

Clara CHOOSING to kill children instead of saving them? Not THINKING about the fact that they have a time machine that can zip around and grab MORE people? Such as parents?

That's pretty bad. That's god awful.

Here's what killed the episode for me and after which I, MYSELF, cannot enjoy.

I would have shut this episode off if I was not watching with others. I still almost did a few times.

A child is hearing voices, and ALL the Doctor can say is "why are you giving her medicine" out right stating that hearing voices is not a bad thing and is not harmful and that the child did not need medicine.

And since the Doctor is the role model of the show and this is a show for families including children, that means ANY child will hear that message.

Especially the children WHO NEED THAT MEDICINE.

As a brother who had a sister with schizophrenia and sociopathic tendencies? gently caress You.

As a person who has severe ADHD and needs medicine to function properly? gently caress YOU.

As a grandson who lives with his grandmother who has dementia?

And if that wasn't enough to piss me off, we have this WONDERFUL tid bit that is UTTERLY THROWN UNDER THE RUG- the military is going to be spraying CITIES with DEFOLIANT AGENTS?

HUMAN POPULATED AREAS.

As a grandson whose grandfather died due to lung cancer brought on because of exposure to Agent Orange?

Words, written or verbal, do not begin to cover it.

All of it, all of it just piled on, one after the other, made this an inexcusable episode of television.

If I wasn't as invested as I am in the series and franchise as a whole, this episode would make me quit watching.

I am dead serious.

I can write off the defoliant agents and the flamethrowers since it's quite clear that the point was to make the authorities seem dumb and powerless.
Everything else is spot on though.

First, saving everyone at once IS POSSIBLE if you've got a ludicrously spacious TIME MACHINE.
Hell, why didn't the Doctor even think about trying a purely technical solution, like blocking the solar storm with the TARDIS (drat thing's powered by a black hole) or dragging the Earth away while it passes? Tugging the Earth has been done... Everyone seemed oddly fatalistic.

Also, what's with Danny asking her a very direct question, then saying immediately after 'Nuh-uh you know what you can just tell me later'. It honestly sounded like something out of The Room.

Super.Jesus fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 26, 2014

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
I just want to take a moment to think about how Smith's doctor would react to having a class full of school children aboard the Tardis. He would probably have loved it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Does this episode mean that The Doctor is actually The Lorax or...

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
If we're talking about what we thought the episode was about, I was pretty sure it was going to be something about Little Red Riding Hood. The wolves, Maeve having a predominantly red coloring, and a forest.

You're obviously passionate about this, but hasn't "Humans think something is an illness, but is actually technosciencymagic and said technosciencymagic saves the day!" thing been A Thing in the show for a while, if not in science fiction in general? To be fair nothing is coming up mentally, but I know I've seen it enough that it didn't surprise or upset me.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 26, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MisterBibs posted:

If we're talking about what we thought the episode was about, I was pretty sure it was going to be something about Little Red Riding Hood. The wolves, Maeve having a predominantly red coloring, and wolves.
I thought for a while that's what they were going for, given the Hansel and Gretel references and so on. Would have been more interesting than what we actually got.

It's like the writer of this and Kill the Moon were having a contest to see who could write the most irritatingly implausible episode (this won).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

You're obviously passionate about this, but hasn't "Humans think something is an illness, but is actually technosciencymagic and said technosciencymagic saves the day!" thing been A Thing in the show for a while, if not in science fiction in general? To be fair nothing is coming up mentally, but I know I've seen it enough that it didn't surprise or upset me.

The few times I can recall it happening, and I frankly cannot name one off hand, it is handled better than this.

The message here, as DIRECTLY STATED BY THE DOCTOR, is do not stifle a child that is hearing voices with medicine, instead LISTEN to the voices and LISTEN to the child!

Considering that Vincent and the Doctor handled depression in SUCH a great way, such a realistic, fantastic way, this?

I still can't even put a word to how this is wrong.

It goes beyond even they didn't think, or they didn't care.

And fun fact, the ones that do it wrong also? I again can't think of any examples off hand- but I'm PRETTY SURE I'd have the same loving issue.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
It's also annoying how the Doctor forgot he's actually a competent contact telepath.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

It's still a really offensive thing when it's presented in a way that negates or mystifies the illness, especially since it's pretty much always mental illness. Mental illness is very often treated differently from regular illness, mystified, or assumed not to exist in pop culture. One of the biggest things that awareness campaigns have to overcome is the perception that mental illness does not exist and that people just want attention or are just down in the dumps.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Burkion posted:

The few times I can recall it happening, and I frankly cannot name one off hand, it is handled better than this.

The message here, as DIRECTLY STATED BY THE DOCTOR, is do not stifle a child that is hearing voices with medicine, instead LISTEN to the voices and LISTEN to the child!

Considering that Vincent and the Doctor handled depression in SUCH a great way, such a realistic, fantastic way, this?

I still can't even put a word to how this is wrong.

It goes beyond even they didn't think, or they didn't care.

And fun fact, the ones that do it wrong also? I again can't think of any examples off hand- but I'm PRETTY SURE I'd have the same loving issue.

I think they just screwed up with their overarching theme of "listening" this season and applied it in the wrong circumstance. A lot of episodes have touched on the importance of listening carefully. Listen, obviously. But also Deep Breath with the Doctor insisting that Clara needs to really HEAR him, this episode with listening to the child and the trees. And there have been some subtle audio cues throughout the episodes (specifics are slipping my mind right now) that feel out of place. Anyway, I think it's intentional and I think they hosed up by mixing up their season theme with a legitimate mental issue.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I thought the little red riding hood thing was because he explained that the tree thing happened before, but it was discredited into myths and stories, so it was like this tree story is like the brothers Grimm? Or something?

That didn't make a lot of sense, but neither did this episode.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

While I understand, I think that Doctor Who is fantastical enough that the real-world implications are a little off. The message in isolation is pretty wonky. In a fantastical show where a forest appeared overnight, with a little girl who hear voices, who thinks she caused the forest because she wrote it down a week earlier, yeah, you don't put that on meds.

Burkion posted:

They did in the end of that episode, sure, but it also basically say that Vincent's mental illness was the reason why it could see the Chicken Thing....

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MisterBibs posted:

They did in the end of that episode, sure, but it also basically say that Vincent's mental illness was the reason why it could see the Chicken Thing....
I thought it was because he was a perceptive genius?

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
I would have preferred for the trees to die in the effort of saving the planet and still have to be cleared out by humans instead of vanishing into a cloud of actual fairies.

This is the exact same plot as kill the moon only worse.

Something happens.
Humans try to stop it in a retarded way.
Doctor calls them out and does nothing.
Turns out it was working perfectly well and no one was needed to stop it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought it was because he was a perceptive genius?

Its been a while since I saw that episode, but I wanna say it was a case of six-of-one-half-dozen-of-the-other. He might be a perceptive genius with a mental illness, someone with mental illness with a perception ability, or little bit of both.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh! I've got a handwavy sort of reason why the Doctor didn't go out and do a thing to save the planet. At the time he thinks the trees are out to kill everybody, and if he stopped that presumably they'd come up with a different method of killing everyone. And he'd already decided trees were unbeatable.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Can someone spoil why Clara and Doctor are apparently in favor of murdering a bunch of children so I don't have to watch this inane sounding episode

(Do they count how many children they aren't going to save this time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Another episode where it feels like they just took the first draft and said good enough.

• Locked thread