Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
So what is this Playfire Rewards business all about? Is it like a system that awards you GMG credit for playing certain games? And if so, how do I get in on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

LordHippoman posted:

So what is this Playfire Rewards business all about? Is it like a system that awards you GMG credit for playing certain games? And if so, how do I get in on that?
You sign up at the site and link your greenmangaming and steam accounts. When you play a game and unlock achievements they'll check periodically and give you GMG credit in return. Used to be insanely good rewards but they've nerfed that so it's down to coupons and 10p credit.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!
Trashbot has been broken for what seems like weeks now. Are there any alternatives? I got a lot of coupon spam I want to get rid of.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

It might get a black screen if you run it fullscreen through a HDMI cable, the solution is a program to manually override refresh rates.

Oh and it might be so awesome it will make other games you used to think were awesome seem less awesome.

What program is this? I ask because I run stuff now through HDMI and sometimes get random black screens when UAC pops up or watching something on Amazon.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ryuga Death posted:

What program is this? I ask because I run stuff now through HDMI and sometimes get random black screens when UAC pops up or watching something on Amazon.
I'm afraid I can't remember what I used; I ran it just once, it overwrote something in the windows registry I assume, and I never had to think about it again.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Just finished Timeshift.

The game starts off pretty badly - I really hate bullet-spongey enemies with a passion, and it seems like the game is just yet another generic shooter. After I got the shotgun and the time powers however, the game gets much better - seems like they are really generous with the time powers, and I'm feeling pretty empowered just charging in and shotgunning everyone to death.

The feeling is slightly different from Max Payne 3 for example, because in there it's like this methodical and systemic way of gunning everyone from cover. But in here, the enemy are like "SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER!", and you just go into bullet time, take their guns off their hands, shotgun them in the face, and just walk forward ending bullet time while they fall down all around you. It just nails that badass feeling perfectly.

Then I got an explosive crossbow. And suddenly everyone explodes in 1 hit. And the game just got ridiculously better.

Time powers are also used pretty liberally to solve puzzles, to proceed forward, and to fight certain enemies. You can always just press the auto-Time Power (there are 3: Time Slow, Stop, and Reverse), and the game will automatically select the best one for the situation, or you can experiment. For example, you have to cross electricity-filled water at some point, and by using Time Stop, the water will freeze, making the electricity stops flowing and you can pass safely. Or you can Time Reverse a moving cargo to get back through where they came from.

All in all, it's a good, fun shooter. Before this I tried Singularity, but bounced off the even worse bullet-spongey enemies at the start. Maybe I'll try Darkness 2 next. I have watched the LP of Darkness 1 before, just to get the background story.

On a slightly different topic, regarding Sproggiwood. Have anyone here whose very familiar with roguelikes (DCSS/Tome4/etc) played it? How does it compare? The phrase "gateway game into roguelike" usually means "too simplistic and streamlined" in my previous experience, but I'm very interested in the game itself.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

srulz posted:

On a slightly different topic, regarding Sproggiwood. Have anyone here whose very familiar with roguelikes (DCSS/Tome4/etc) played it? How does it compare? The phrase "gateway game into roguelike" usually means "too simplistic and streamlined" in my previous experience, but I'm very interested in the game itself.

Hardcore roguelike grognards have been playing a lot of it in the last couple pages of the roguelike thread (we pulled a ton of them for excellent play-testers throughout development): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563643

"Don't judge a book by it's cover" is a huge theme throughout the whole game, in more ways than one.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 26, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Unormal posted:

Hardcore roguelike grognards have been playing a lot of it in the last couple pages of the roguelike thread (we pulled a ton of them for excellent play-testers throughout development): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563643

"Don't judge a book by it's cover" is a huge theme throughout the whole game, in more ways than one.

No offense intended of course :) just speaking based on my previous experience. Oh, and I should have checked that thread. Haven't popped in there since the last "discussion" about roguelike definition.

On another roguelike news, the expansion to Tome 4 will come out on this Monday 27th. Woot!

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Rabbits by David Lynch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxKPBLjHAEA

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

srulz posted:

No offense intended of course :) just speaking based on my previous experience. Oh, and I should have checked that thread. Haven't popped in there since the last "discussion" about roguelike definition.

On another roguelike news, the expansion to Tome 4 will come out on this Monday 27th. Woot!

Well don't worry, you can come back. Mario is definitely a RogueLike.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

srulz posted:

None taken, there was heavy intent to make a game that looked like your average (very pretty) cutsie appstore game and "trick" people into accidently playing a real roguelike (in streamlined accessible form) with a dark story. So we expect it to look too lightweight at first glance, and are relying on word of mouth/reviews to say "hey there's more here than meets the eyes."

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

srulz posted:

All in all, it's a good, fun shooter. Before this I tried Singularity, but bounced off the even worse bullet-spongey enemies at the start. Maybe I'll try Darkness 2 next. I have watched the LP of Darkness 1 before, just to get the background story.

FYI, partway through the prologue in Singularity you get an assault rifle that absolutely ends any bullet-sponginess the game may have had--it's not that the enemies are tough, it's that the starting pistol is way worse than any other gun. It starts out trying for a sorta survival-horror vibe, but quickly it falls into more Half Life-style action. You might wanna give it another try.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I thought Singularity was trying to be Bioshock, given that they presented their stories in almost exactly the same way. Using weird old tyme audio logs and out of place tech.

The worst part about Timeshift is that Michael Ironside was going to be the badguy once upon a time but something happened and now we got that.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 26, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Singularity is basically knockoff Bioshock, but it's pretty good at it. The Darkness 2 is a better game in my opinion, but it's pretty short.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Turtlicious posted:

Well don't worry, you can come back. Mario is definitely a RogueLike.

Hah!

Unormal posted:

None taken, there was heavy intent to make a game that looked like your average (very pretty) cutsie appstore game and "trick" people into accidently playing a real roguelike (in streamlined accessible form) with a dark story. So we expect it to look too lightweight at first glance, and are relying on word of mouth/reviews to say "hey there's more here than meets the eyes."

Oh, if you are going for that approach, maybe you can get Northernlion do a Let's Look At on it? I always enjoyed his reviews, and his Binding of Isaac plays, so I think he'll be the perfect fit to review your game.

Male Man posted:

FYI, partway through the prologue in Singularity you get an assault rifle that absolutely ends any bullet-sponginess the game may have had--it's not that the enemies are tough, it's that the starting pistol is way worse than any other gun. It starts out trying for a sorta survival-horror vibe, but quickly it falls into more Half Life-style action. You might wanna give it another try.

Hey, thanks for that! I just did so, and found out that I can one-shot (I think) the starting enemies by headshotting them with the starting pistol. Cool!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

You sign up at the site and link your greenmangaming and steam accounts. When you play a game and unlock achievements they'll check periodically and give you GMG credit in return. Used to be insanely good rewards but they've nerfed that so it's down to coupons and 10p credit.

Note that getting rid of the account for whatever reason requires digging into the support system, where you have to submit a manual request and hope that someone actually gets around to doing it.

That, or logging in and spamming their forums with obscenities. That seems to work faster.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
What is the difference between Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion and Trinity? And any of the DLCs for Rebellion worth it?

Also did they update the game to make it support multiple cores?

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 26, 2014

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Getting good at They Bleed Pixels is such a wonderful feeling. :allears:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

LordHippoman posted:

Using SAM does count as a bannable offense. People mentioned they will take your money and other stuff, but I have been able to still get them somehow. Playfire is a very well thought out idea. You would be at the rear end end of the program since the credits have dried up.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-WL2TE/warlock-2-the-exiled
free steam keys for Warlock 2, for whatever reason. Worked for me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

NeoSeeker posted:

What is the difference between Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion and Trinity? And any of the DLCs for Rebellion worth it?

Also did they update the game to make it support multiple cores?

Rebellion is a large update + everything from Trinity. It adds super capitals for each race, a bunch of different balance tweaks and units and bases here and there, new options and bug fixes. It's the definitive edition of Sins. As to the multicore support, I don't know.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
What of the DLC for Rebellion?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Woops, sorry. Not super important, but most of the cool TC mods (Star Trek, Homeworld, Mass Effect, etc) require it, so if it's dirt cheap probably not a bad buy.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

thanks for explaining that

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Here you guys go, you E7VC3 can have TCJDC a Warlock 2 steam key JJ2CJ.

It's Civ V with a huge (only) combat focus and is actually pretty drat cool.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Drifter posted:

Here you guys go, you E7VC3 can have TCJDC a Warlock 2 steam key JJ2CJ.

It's Civ V with a huge (only) combat focus and is actually pretty drat cool.

Grabbed this since the site has died, thanks!

Orv
May 4, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

thanks for explaining that

David Lynch made a Dune movie, he gets a pass.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Orv posted:

...which he regards as his biggest mistake, and burned the originals or something.

edit: interestingly, I read a while ago that that movie got flak when it came out for the Harkonnens supposedly being symbols of the hedonistic gay lifestyle where they murder young boy-slaves and bathe in their blood.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 26, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

...which he regards as his biggest mistake, and burned the originals or something.

Hey I said a movie, that's it.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Orv posted:

David Lynch's version of Dune is terrrrrrrible.

I really wish Jodorowsky's Dune was made instead.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/jodorowskys-dune-2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Orv posted:

Counter point: We got that instead of an Alejandro Jodorowsky Dune with Salvador Dali and Orson Welles in main roles, art design by Giger and Moebius and music by Pink Floyd, Magma and Henry Cow, and therefore it's a travesty.

EDIT: Yeah Jodorowsky buddy above me! Fist bump.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Just finished Dead Space. I was a little iffy on at first, but it definitely grabbed me after the first few chapters. I thought it wasn't a slow enough burn--the poo poo hit the fan too fast and it revealed its boogeyman too soon. It ends up using its quick reveals to its advantage--you never feel safe after you see the necromorphs swarm in from vents and shutters a couple times.

Anyway, I'll probably play the second one next, which I hear is even better. I actually have a free PS+ copy of Dead Space 3 on PS3, but I heard it isn't very good?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Propaganda Hour posted:

David Lynch's version of Dune is terrrrrrrible.

I really wish Jodorowsky's Dune was made instead.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/jodorowskys-dune-2014

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Counter point: We got that instead of an Alejandro Jodorowsky Dune with Salvador Dali and Orson Welles in main roles, art design by Giger and Moebius and music by Pink Floyd, Magma and Henry Cow, and therefore it's a travesty.

EDIT: Yeah Jodorowsky buddy above me! Fist bump.

I guess I'll be extra clear. We got A Dune Movie instead of No Dune Movie, so for that I'm willing to let Lynch being terrible (and the Dune movie being not so good) go. Jodorowsky would have been incredible and it is a crime that it didn't happen, but I'll take what I can get, even if what I can get is a sort of New Testament definition of mediocrity.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
In non-Lynch news, GamersGate is out of Warlock 2 serials. I got it added to my account so hopefully I get one when they get more. I bet botters hosed it up for everyone trying to get a bajillion keys to resell.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Orv posted:

I guess I'll be extra clear. We got A Dune Movie instead of No Dune Movie, so for that I'm willing to let Lynch being terrible (and the Dune movie being not so good) go. Jodorowsky would have been incredible and it is a crime that it didn't happen, but I'll take what I can get, even if what I can get is a sort of New Testament definition of mediocrity.

Sometimes something is not actually better than nothing. This is one of those times.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Sometimes something is not actually better than nothing. This is one of those times.

I disagree. :shrug: I don't disagree that it's a bad movie mind, but I enjoy it anyway. I am a broken man.

Unrelated, whomever asked about The Forest earlier; It's the high fidelity survival game option, but it's currently lacking pretty heavily in things to do other than survive.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 26, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Orv posted:

if you think rabbits was worse than dune you are seriously retarded.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bonobos posted:

I only got the two files at the top (the 500 mb exe with all the games I guess, and an 800 mbp zip of the soundtrack). There were other files I didn't download, did I miss anything?
The other files are just stand-alone installs of all the games in the Anthology. You can access them (and any other free games as 3DR re-upload them) by logging in and clicking "My Games" at the top of the page. Might take a little while to load, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Steam 100: OR 'gently caress being a digital hoarder'

The Bottom 10

These games aren't all bad or anything but they were the least enjoyable of the 100 I played. And that is a lot of games so, yeah. This is not me being edgy or saying "you're all idiots if you like these games", it's all my dumb idiot personal tastes, don't even read this poo poo go outside and ride a fuckin bike the weather is beautiful.

1. Runaway: A Road Adventure - This one IS all bad, it's microwaved excrement. It's a point n click adventure where puzzle solutions that make absolutely no sense, terrible characters, a nonsensical story told in the blandest way possible, and drawers that have to be re-searched after story triggers. The reason I played this through is because the cel-shaded artwork looks like Poser models combined with enormous webcomic mouths. This combination looks WEIRD and hilarious. Every canned animation looks extremely strange. I wanted to keep seeing how much worse it could get. That's the only real reason.

2. Testament of Sherlock Holmes - I understand that this is some people's favorite Sherlock game but for me I thought it was Frogwares' worst, having played Nemesis, Awakened, and vs. the Ripper. The game wants to bring Sherlock into the 'AAA' world but it is bogged down by a mediocre game engine with poor canned animations, lovely cutscenes, and a story that unravels very quickly. There are a lot of 'cartoon' moments in this game that might have fit in the goofy-rear end Cthulhu game but not in this "THE DARKEST SHERLOCK GAME YET" edition. What the gently caress was the Moriarty plot at the end. Why did it turn into an episode of Inspector Gadget. You'll disagree with me and really like it so who cares, play it and enjoy it.

3. Xotic - Xotic is supposed to be a tribute to the kind of shooting gallery arcade game you used to play as a kid, only as a first person shooter. But instead of being satified with a central hook of chaining together gem/bead explosions, they throw in bullet sponge enemies for no reason. The weapons feel absolutely terrible no matter which variant you use, making Xotic feel more like the kind of arcade game that exists only in episodes of police procedurals like CSI or Law & Order. The sound effects practically are BLAT BLAT ZAP ZAP. It just needs to flash random colors for the full effect. If you play this game be sure to twist your controller around and make intense faces, because you might be posing for a stock photo.

4. Deus Ex: The Fall - Am I insane for playing this game to the end? Maybe. But is it as bad as Xotic or Runaway? Nope! The fact of the matter is, Deus Ex mimics the gameplay systems of Human Revolution closely enough that you end up getting a very mediocre but also very passable Deus Ex butter-substitute. It has the same trademarks, vent routes, catwalks, augment trees, hacking into terminals, rewiring turrets and cameras, reading PDAs, listening to audio logs. But it's a port of an iOS game, and a very shoddy port at that, so while these elements all exist and function very much like Human Revolution, the actual gameplay engine and visuals suffer tremendously. Imagine if Human Revolution was ported to Playstation 2 and then that version was ported to Playstation 3 and then that version was ported to PC and you'll get an idea of what this port feels like. The story is also hum-drum, and ends on a cliffhanger that will never be resolved. The world looks relatively large until you realize that this isn't the first section of the game, it's the entire game. That said, it's passable. And you will get the same kind of kick from it if you really liked Human Revolution, just in a very, very compromised form.

5. Goodbye Deponia - Mechanically, Goodbye Deponia is a very sound game. Holding spacebar shows you every interactive hotspot, using the mousewheel pulls down your inventory, double clicking on exits warps you there, all dialogue is skippable. The puzzles are not too weird, and the ability to switch between clones and transfer inventory items between them to solve their isolated puzzles is interesting. So why is this in the bottom 10? Well, the main character has evolved from just being a huge douchebag to being a Shiny Mega-Evolution Douchebag that is impossible to root for, and ruins the lives of everyone he comes in contact with. At one point in the game you are tasked with trying to ruin a black woman's life and force her to take a job as an organ grinder's PET MONKEY. THIS IS A THING YOU ARE MADE TO DO IN THE GAME.

6. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - Again, no one will agree with me, and that's okay. But I prefer vanilla FC3 to this, immensely. The neon 1980s cyberspace look is really interesting at first, as is the tribute to 1980s film writing, but as far as the game itself goes, going from tropical islands to non-descript neon world means that everywhere you are looks the same as everywhere else, leading to disorientation and.. fatigue?? At least, for me. While FC3's main campaign did well to vary up their missions to keep from becoming monotonous, I don't think Blood Dragon accomplishes the same. And some of the 4th wall breaking humor started to grate on me after a while. I just got kinda miserable playing it. It's not like Deus Ex The Fall where a superior game is translated into a foamy marginally edible simulacrum, it is still legitimately Far Cry 3, it just didn't engage me or excite me at all, the way that regular FC3 did. You should play it yourself and form your own opinion because people LOVE this game.

7. Hard Reset Extended Edition - Unlike FC3: BD, which I think ultimately came down to personal taste, I actually think Hard Reset is a badly designed game. The levels are confusingly laid out and sections are xeroxed on the level of Halo 1's campaign at times, leading to a deja vu effect where you aren't sure if you're running around in circles or not. The guns feel alright, secrets are kind of a neat old-school FPS thing. But the enemies are not particularly fun to fight. The bosses in the game are just flat out awful. The upgrade shop is not really that great. The developers added an additional campaign onto the game and I do intend to play that to see whether they've improved from a design standpoint, because the shooting is at least good. And it looks pretty nice and runs pretty well. My issues with the game are purely design.

8. Battleblock Theater - It seems like I'm just being mean to goon favorites but this game is actually okay. It is not a bad game at all. It is a little bland and unexciting and too.. tile-y, but it's challenging and the game introduces enough new mechanics over time to keep tedium from setting in. The combat and enemies are kind of annoying and not fun, especially because you can get juggled. But levels are only 2-3 minutes in length and shorter if you speedrun them. The neat thing about Battleblock Theater is you can sell items on Steam Market, but you probably won't find any real buyers outside of seasonal sales, and only the Rare Hats that you get for logging in at certain times/holidays.

9. LOVE+ - Again, an okay game but nothing special. It's a $3 game, with minimalist retro graphics (think Spectrum retro) where you go from point A to point B. That's about it. There are not many stages, and you have to beat the game in one run. I played this only because I got it in a bundle and it was short, but I would not have paid $3 for it, if I'm being honest. There are TIGSource Forum prototypes with more content than this game.

10. Hitman Absolution - This game is a fuckin shame. The controls feel good, and the creative solutions are varied and interesting. The changes made in this iteration, however, make it impossible to recommend. I can't imagine how anyone could play this game on an actual difficulty setting and enjoy themselves. The AI is cheap, and the Disguise system is flat out broken. On Easy difficulty (where the Instinct system, aka "Get Out Of Being Recognized Free Card", recharges), I had to use-- and hold down-- the Instinct button CONSTANTLY just to get anywhere. It feels kind of like you're being punished for trying to be stealthy, which makes no sense. If the disguise system wasn't broken, this would be a much more playable game, with the caveat of a story that seems cruel towards women and is full of dumb "AAA game" bullshit. There are 'action'/chase sequences where it's like.. uhhhhh am I still playing Hitman?? I had this same sensation with Thi4f which I'll talk about in another post.

I don't mind this being the last post on a page cause I dont want to fight about these games, please form your own cooler and more informed opinions and throw mine in the trash with my body. Next post I make on this will be about fun cool and cute games

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 26, 2014

• Locked thread