Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I took the Pet bonus, where can I find a catte?

Also, annoyed that I was forced into a story section RIGHT when I was about to change to my second Life. Oh well, Angler is really fun anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

precision posted:

I took the Pet bonus, where can I find a catte?

Also, annoyed that I was forced into a story section RIGHT when I was about to change to my second Life. Oh well, Angler is really fun anyway.
pet seller is in the artisan district of castele, in the northeast part. he's the dog icon on the map.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Crawfish posted:

I'm sorry some of you guys don't know how to use horses effectively?

It sucks that they can't go in towns, but their ability to get you across the fields faster with no sp usage and to protect your bounties while you ride them is pretty drat great. I've never really bothered with the rental horses, but I use my own personal horse all the drat time.

protecting bounties sounds good. so many times i've had some tough boss all boxed up, and then lost it because a trash mob whacked it and it fell off my conga line, and then i accidentally broke it trying to smack the trash mob away.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

a lot of the stuff you guys are asking, like where to find pets and what bounties are, is explained thoroughly during Flutter's Requests.

Genpei Turtle posted:

It's literally the second sentence in the section about the class system. If you don't have the attention span or reading comprehension to get that far it's not my problem.

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

"That major thing is literally mentioned off-hand in second sentence of the seventh paragraph, CAN YOU EVEN READ?!"

I'm sorry genpei turtle, I know you put a lot of effort into putting so much information into the OP, but it's kind of bad. i mean this as no slight upon you personally. you are just not good at conveying key information. the thread is full of people asking really basic questions because nobody wants to read through all that poo poo.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

lol the link mode is so needlessly convoluted

INSTRUCTIONS FOR PLAYING THE GAME, WITH YOUR FRIENDS

wait until you get the flutter request to check out the guild

check out the guild, and talk to the booth girls at the back to get the link mode icon

tap on the icon, agree to turn on link mode and connect to the internet

go into the friends tab and hit Y for options

tap the 'friend settings' button

manually activate every one of your drat 3DS friends who has this game or is going to have it at some point, god this is dumb

congrats, you can now see your friends online, and send tiny 16-character messages to them, assuming they have done all this poo poo too, and also that they have the same version of the game as you ie. with or without DLC

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

Corridor posted:

protecting bounties sounds good. so many times i've had some tough boss all boxed up, and then lost it because a trash mob whacked it and it fell off my conga line, and then i accidentally broke it trying to smack the trash mob away.

Yeah protecting bounties is the main thing that the horse is super-useful for, as well as moving fast across the map not using SP. Additionally you can call your horse to you when you warp to any towns - just go chat to the turtle/camel stable owners and they will call your horse to you.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Corridor posted:

congrats, you can now see your friends online, and send tiny 16-character messages to them, assuming they have done all this poo poo too, and also that they have the same version of the game as you ie. with or without DLC

The fact that the keyboard isn't QWERTY and instead alphabetical is another major point of annoyance/aggravation/frustration/Y U DO DIS. By the time I finish writing a message, even a waaay shortened one, it's already become irrelevant. I don't think they'll change it, but one can only wish.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

bubblelubble posted:

The fact that the keyboard isn't QWERTY and instead alphabetical is another major point of annoyance/aggravation/frustration/Y U DO DIS. By the time I finish writing a message, even a waaay shortened one, it's already become irrelevant. I don't think they'll change it, but one can only wish.

yeah it was annoying enough having to search around for each letter when inputting the passwords

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
I just had the game freeze on me in a weird way. The music kept playing and i could take pictures, but nothing else worked. So frustrating. Save often!

Factory Davey fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 26, 2014

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

whomever said dyeing hardly applies to any clothes was super wrong. you can't dye armour but you can dye drat near anything else, including your starting class gear, and password outfits. I am rocking a pure white duelling outfit right now

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Corridor posted:

I'm sorry genpei turtle, I know you put a lot of effort into putting so much information into the OP, but it's kind of bad. i mean this as no slight upon you personally. you are just not good at conveying key information. the thread is full of people asking really basic questions because nobody wants to read through all that poo poo.

Welcome to Games. OPs are generally chock-full of information here. Open any given thread and odds are the OP is going to be even longer than the one here by a good bit. Most of the "basic questions" being asked are answered in those big honking tutorials in the game and the manual. Anyone that can't be bothered to read either of those isn't going to read the OP no matter how short I make it. Even if I were to fill the OP with obvious things like "you can change jobs" and "don't attack bounties" to specifically cater to those who won't read the in-game tutorials, it would be five times as long.

That said, I've been compiling a list of frequently asked questions which will eventually go in the second post, once it becomes clear what those are.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like how I can skip the tutorial missions for all the other jobs. It's funny how they go "yeah these people around town are going to be your friends suddenly. Here's some money and exp." It's actually pretty neat how much work they put in to just those segments.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Genpei Turtle posted:

Welcome to Games. OPs are generally chock-full of information here. Open any given thread and odds are the OP is going to be even longer than the one here by a good bit. Most of the "basic questions" being asked are answered in those big honking tutorials in the game and the manual. Anyone that can't be bothered to read either of those isn't going to read the OP no matter how short I make it. Even if I were to fill the OP with obvious things like "you can change jobs" and "don't attack bounties" to specifically cater to those who won't read the in-game tutorials, it would be five times as long.

That said, I've been compiling a list of frequently asked questions which will eventually go in the second post, once it becomes clear what those are.

there is something to be said for being concise, is all

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Bounties are admittedly unintuitive if you've played literally any other game. I get the urge to break the box open, but it's not like the game doesn't explain them to you.

Grabbing things can be annoying in the field sometimes because I find I'm sometimes pulling out my weapon and then I have to put it back and then approach the thing again and wait for the little hand icon or whatever to show up and THEN press A.

But again there are a hojillion tutorials in this game that you can read at your mailbox at any time. The bounties are explained, and they even show a picture of one.

Maybe the note at the top of the OP should be "This game has a million words in it. If you don't like to read poo poo, this isn't the game for you."

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 26, 2014

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Leofish posted:

Maybe the note at the top of the OP should be "This game has a million words in it. If you don't like to read poo poo, this isn't the game for you."

That's good. I like it. I'm adding it.

ed: Also adding a big note about numbers-go-up. But yeah, while not always intuitive Fantasy Life is one of the most hand-holdy games ever. Any time you try anything even remotely new you'll have massive tutorial screens thrown in your face that you can't bypass, so you really shouldn't have any trouble handling basic poo poo.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 26, 2014

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Will there eventually be anything to improve monster drops? Situations like killing 10 wolves and only getting one animal hide has been my biggest source of frustration in the game.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Are there a lot more areas than just the plains/beach/mountain/desert? Maybe postgame? Knowing that there are only 3 major cities, I'm expecting the story to end quite soon, and while it certainly feels like there's a lot to do, it doesn't feel like there are a huge variety of locations I can dick around in with my friends.

Also, what can I expect from the Origin Island DLC prior to finishing the main quest?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Argue posted:

Also, what can I expect from the Origin Island DLC prior to finishing the main quest?

Not much. You get some extra hairstyles, and you can increase your friendship with party members to level them up.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

JavaJesus posted:

Will there eventually be anything to improve monster drops? Situations like killing 10 wolves and only getting one animal hide has been my biggest source of frustration in the game.

yeah, i've been relying on shops for materials for the most part. and some of the gathering life challenges can be a huge pain in the rear end; i cannot for the life of me get elder logs to drop no matter how many great trees i cut down.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

If it's anything like mining, luck actually affects rare drop rate as well. If you're not going to put points into luck, wear a bunch of buffs.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Argue posted:

If it's anything like mining, luck actually affects rare drop rate as well. If you're not going to put points into luck, wear a bunch of buffs.

fuuuuuck.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Argue posted:

What, really? I've put zero points in Luck ever and I'm usually rolling in crafting items and weird weapon imbuing stuff. I've been putting every last point in Strength/Vitality so I can crush monsters/rocks with my face and then mash everything together into top-quality armaments to wear while I crush things with my face.

I love that every non-combat-focused job has minigame"boss battles." Mining a really shiny rock? BOSS MUSIC. Trying to forge a really cool thing? BOSS MUSIC. It's so cute and so much more fun than just pressing "make all" and watching a bar fill up :buddy:

Random side note: it loving sucks that you can't dye armour, I was really looking forward to a sick-rear end suit of black iron plate :colbert:

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Random side note: it loving sucks that you can't dye armour, I was really looking forward to a sick-rear end suit of black iron plate :colbert:

Beastly armour is black, isn't it? With cool red piping.

I don't know why people care about wearing armour, when what everyone should really be doing is rocking the Napdragon outfit 24/7 (except when you absolutely have to kill some bugger of a shadow beast. Then you can stick on your boring, predictable Holy Armour or something)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Irisi posted:

Beastly armour is black, isn't it? With cool red piping.

I don't know why people care about wearing armour, when what everyone should really be doing is rocking the Napdragon outfit 24/7 (except when you absolutely have to kill some bugger of a shadow beast. Then you can stick on your boring, predictable Holy Armour or something)

I am a blacksmith and I will wear nothing but cool rear end metal armour that I made my own drat self :colbert:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

What, really? I've put zero points in Luck ever and I'm usually rolling in crafting items and weird weapon imbuing stuff. I've been putting every last point in Strength/Vitality so I can crush monsters/rocks with my face and then mash everything together into top-quality armaments to wear while I crush things with my face.

An NPC told me that luck is what gives you rare drops and then he even gave me a +4 Luck necklace to help me out, so it's probably on the level. I only have 10 luck, so I wear it all the time when mining, and eat some lucky foods. Still takes forever :(

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

poo poo, if I knew that I would've put drat near every point I had into Luck. I don't care if I hit like a wet noodle, cutting down 15 great trees just to get one drat elder branch is freaking annoying.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I should probably start investing in Luck more then, I have a bunch of unfinished challenges because they're the rare drops from nodes for Miner/Woodcutter.

What level are you supposed to be to fight the gold crown bosses? I got a Hunter quest to kill one of the big birds but I only do 3 damage to it and it one shots me when it gets a clean hit.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Currently considering buying this game, but I have a question: can you build friendships with NPCs in this game, like you can in Rune Factory/Harvest Moon? I feel like that lends a lot of life in these sorts of games.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
How does practicing cooking recipes work? Is it based off of your culinary skill in conjunction with your crafting skill?

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So, one of the miner challenges is to get 1/3 Topaz from Superior Copper Deposits in Haniwa cave, but i've gone in there twice and resulted in no Topaz, is there a trick to this, or do I need to raise my Luck to get better drops?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Fancy Hat! posted:

So, one of the miner challenges is to get 1/3 Topaz from Superior Copper Deposits in Haniwa cave, but i've gone in there twice and resulted in no Topaz, is there a trick to this, or do I need to raise my Luck to get better drops?

Nope, you just go in there over and over until you get Topazes to drop. The worst and most annoying thing is when you hit the giant Superior deposits, and get a bounty sparkling topaz that gives you a topaz upon turn in. It doesn't count as an actual topaz for the challenge.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Well, that's pretty annoying!

Also, do I have to unlock an area with Palm trees in the story? becasue that seems to be the next step in my Woodcutter/Carpenter Quests, but I just got to the SnowPeak, and those have trees way above my level!

Fancy Hat! fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 26, 2014

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Fancy Hat! posted:

Well, that's pretty annoying!

Also, do I have to unlock an area with Palm trees in the story? becasue that seems to be the next step in my Woodcutter/Carpenter Quests, but I just got to the SnowPeak, and those have trees way above my level!

Yeah, you need to unlock the next section of story and head west, to the West Grassy Plains and Port Puerto. You'll get lots of lovely palm trees, marine thread and silver ore there.

Snowpeak is an area you'll want to head back to to mine platinum and chop white firs after you've completed Port Puerto, probably.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Akarshi posted:

Currently considering buying this game, but I have a question: can you build friendships with NPCs in this game, like you can in Rune Factory/Harvest Moon? I feel like that lends a lot of life in these sorts of games.
well, npc party members have a friendship level, but i think that's just their version of exp, not sure if it has any other function.

ayn rand hand job posted:

How does practicing cooking recipes work? Is it based off of your culinary skill in conjunction with your crafting skill?
i think the crafting subskills (i.e. eggs/veggies cooking vs fish cooking) just make you a little better at those recipes, yeah. whereas the cooking skill itself lets you equip better frying pans and maybe also makes you better at cooking?

edit: okay looking at the skills, the descriptions say that the subskills make you more likely to get higher quality results, and the main skill increases your crafting speed.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I meant it more in the "how fast do you grind up X so you can mass produce it/automake"?

(It just seems like sometimes it takes 2 or 3 makes to level the recipe, or it takes a bunch more)

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

I meant it more in the "how fast do you grind up X so you can mass produce it/automake"?

(It just seems like sometimes it takes 2 or 3 makes to level the recipe, or it takes a bunch more)

oh. seems like it's usually five to be able to mass produce, not sure about auto/auto+. if you're getting it faster, it's because it also counts bonus results towards that (like when you craft something and sometimes it will give you extras).

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I've decided to at least unlock all the other lives before continuing with the story, and I'm falling more and more in love with the game as I play. :3:

I really appreciate the ability to skip the tutorial quests, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Sure, once you've done one gathering/crafting/combat tutorial you've done them all, but the dialogue is just so charming that I don't wanna miss out.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

All of those pretty much vary on the recipe. The simpler the recipe, the easier it is to grind up mastery to be able to mass-produce. Might have something to do with the skill level too, I dunno, but it definitely seems that you need to make the harder recipes a lot more to master them.

Probably goes without saying, but if you try to master all the recipes you will probably lose your mind in the process.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I played this game more or less nonstop for 17 hours while watching Extra Life streams.

Its okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandata
Mar 19, 2010
So there are a few things that I found out about this game.

First off is the Crafting. I find my self to be a very good button smasher, but the game doesn't seem to want to handle my speed. It's almost as if it has a anti-auto button function programed into it. Which is odd since the auto craft speed is way beyond the fastest rhythm that I can create.

Also is it just me or is it always better to craft items one at a time? When I did my first ever bulk craft job I found my self earning lower than the total EXP would have been. Also the game had no "You did so well you earn # extra items for a total of # items" at the end of my bulk job.

Lastly I started out as Chef, then Angler, Woodcutter, Carpenter, Tailor, Miner then Blacksmith. To anyone playing this game just grab them all when you can and allow your self to grind them all little by little as you do random tasks around the town. It's been said before but I guess we just need to keep saying it. I would say that if you are okay with not fighting to select all the craft sounding jobs first. Other wise I would say pick one attack class so you can go out into the wilds to gain more resources easier. I'm doing okay at battles but I could be doing a whole lot better.

Overall I'm very glad I bought this game. The L&R buttons on my 3DS are basically broke at this point so its a good thing that I can play this. My game selection is starting to become less because of that. I want this 3DS to die so I can just buy a new one. $80.00 from Nintendo is too much to gain back my L&R buttons alone.

• Locked thread