Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

It's exam period at the uni I work at. Students have apparently crammed so much they've forgotten how to drive. Had three separate people pull out in front of me while I've been going through a roundabout in an effort to get to the exam halls a few seconds earlier. At least one of us is paying attention...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Over the past few months what I thought was my preworkout giving me gas turned out to be a fat fuckin hernia. So I had surgery back at the beginning of the month and i haven't ridden since then and I'm about to go crazy. The weather in phoenix is finally almost not awful to ride in and I just ughhhjhhhh. Hopefully in the next week or two I can get back on. Longest month of my life right here.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

drat, hope you heal up well.
Every time I visit family there in the winter I kick myself in the rear end for not bringing riding gear, because leaving a snowstorm and 4hours later walking out into 75 and sunny is :aaaaa: igottagoridenow

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is anyone else here a dumbass who is pathologically unable to keep track of when they changed their oil? I know I am! And now I have to err on the side of caution and probably do it when I don't need to because I can't remember the mileage I told myself to remember.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Slavvy posted:

Is anyone else here a dumbass who is pathologically unable to keep track of when they changed their oil? I know I am! And now I have to err on the side of caution and probably do it when I don't need to because I can't remember the mileage I told myself to remember.

http://fieldnotesbrand.com/shop/

I have one of these for every vehicle I own. I keep it in the glovebox (or now my jacket), and I keep track of oil changes and everything else in it. Purchase date, gas fills, oil changes, brake service, etc. all goes into the book. I also use them in the shop to write down customer concerns and part numbers and... well, everything. Any notepad will do, but I like these.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Evernote for maintenance logs, Trip A reset at fillup, Trip B reset at oil change.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Android phone > google drive > spreadsheet. Done.

Or whatever the iOS equivalent.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

I just write this and other maintenance down in the back of my manual. I'd never remember it if I didn't

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Evernote for maintenance logs, Trip A reset at fillup, Trip B reset at oil change.

Same except excel for maint logs, since i tend to send the logs with the new owner when I sell the bike.

But yeah trip B for oil errday

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

hot sauce posted:

I just write this and other maintenance down in the back of my manual. I'd never remember it if I didn't

Post it in the "What did you do to your bike" thread and you can just go check latet.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

If mileage % 3000 == 0 change oil. Sometimes that means 2500mi between changes, sometimes 3500. So be it.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've managed to do all mine on 00's so far. 4500, 5500, 6500...

gently caress. Did I change it at 6500?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

El Jebus posted:

http://fieldnotesbrand.com/shop/

I have one of these for every vehicle I own. I keep it in the glovebox (or now my jacket), and I keep track of oil changes and everything else in it. Purchase date, gas fills, oil changes, brake service, etc. all goes into the book. I also use them in the shop to write down customer concerns and part numbers and... well, everything. Any notepad will do, but I like these.

Hipster notebooks?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Look at this scrub, writes things down on ~actual notebooks~ instead of scribbling incomprehensible chickenscratch with an ikea pencil onto notepads raided from motels

(excel maintenance logs crew :respek:)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

captainOrbital posted:

Hipster notebooks?

Are people just allergic to whatever is cheapest at staples? That's what always worked for me. Also it means I don't give a poo poo when I get oil all over my $0.49 notepad.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

HotCanadianChick posted:

Are people just allergic to whatever is cheapest at staples? That's what always worked for me. Also it means I don't give a poo poo when I get oil all over my $0.49 notepad.

Look at this yuppie shelling out for Staples.

Three for a dollar at the dollar store spiral-top notebooks.

Blue is bike. Gray is car. Yellow is recipes (mostly full of mixed drinks).

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

(excel maintenance logs crew :respek:)
Once again we see how elitist EX250 owners are. Notepad.exe works fine for us normal humans.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I use notes in my phone then email it to myself when it gets too long and copy/paste into a notepad file.
I'm too forgetful to write stuff in a notebook that I'll lose anyway and too lazy to go more high tech.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I use a burnt piece of wood to scratch tally-marks onto my garage floor.

Elitists.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

captainOrbital posted:

Hipster notebooks?

Pretty much. Got a bunch as a gift from family in Portland. Work great and seem pretty sturdy. Certainly not as cheap as dollar store option, but a gift is a gift.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Once in the spring, once in the fall. Simples.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

captainOrbital posted:

Hipster notebooks?

You rang?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nah, nothing but the finest Moleskine will do the dedicated hipster.

(I may or may not own several Moleskine notebooks but in my defence my company paid for them)

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
There's a hipster-rear end store in my neighborhood run by some tatted-up thirtysomethings that sells all kinds of recycled poo poo made from other poo poo (well duh). It's actually a nice place. They have these notebooks made from old Beverly Cleary and Hardy Boys paperbacks.

I'd get one of those just because I like to support my neighborhood and they seem pretty nice.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Everyone who isn't using a whiteboard on their garage wall clearly hates the environment. :colbert:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What garage :(

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Z3n posted:

Everyone who isn't using a whiteboard on their garage wall clearly hates the environment. :colbert:

I was actually going to paint part of a garage wall with this stuff:

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

hot sauce posted:

Sigh... someday

M42
Nov 12, 2012

hot sauce posted:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nah, nothing but the finest Moleskine will do the dedicated hipster.

(I may or may not own several Moleskine notebooks but in my defence my company paid for them)

If I took a pic of the left one in my matching Volvo 240 would it make up the deficit?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

I've actually GOT a whiteboard and I'm too much of a dumbass to use it for stuff like this.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I just keep all my repair records on 5.25 Floppies that work in a late 80s IBM clone I keep in the garage. DOS spreadsheets are the best. Every so often I take an angle grinder to the monitor housing to feel like a hipster.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Once again we see how elitist EX250 owners are. Notepad.exe works fine for us normal humans.

Look at this bourgeoise pig and his expensive Micro$oft OS with it's forced bundling of crapware. Real frugalistas use LibreOffice on Linux. :colbert:

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

hot sauce posted:

If I put a tarp from the broken down pickup next to me to the fence is that considered a garage?

I'm assuming no.

One day ...

the damn Ruskis are back
Jan 25, 2006

And blew, Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came!
I burn it into my arm using a soldering iron because

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

MoraleHazard posted:

I just keep all my repair records on 5.25 Floppies that work in a late 80s IBM clone I keep in the garage. DOS spreadsheets are the best. Every so often I take an angle grinder to the monitor housing to feel like a hipster.

You may have something here...except for the clone part. Original IBM 51xx rigs in working order are getting $300-500 on the bay now, and the Model M keyboard is making a minor comeback:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/7/6882427/king-of-keys

Hipsters have to be behind this, no doubt due to the high metal content and spark potential.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress me, a truck driver decided to try and maim me today.

This was in gridlocked traffic. I was splitting between two lanes of stopped cars leading up to a traffic light. The road was completely jammed, so the light was essentially doing nothing. I came upon a truck in the left lane (scania box truck thing with another box trailer hooked up) and a car in the right lane. The car was quite close so I stopped and went to duck walk the bike past his wing mirror. The truck suddenly lurched forward like half a foot. I looked up, saw the lights were still red, went to proceed....and the truck lurches forward again. I look up at his mirror and the guy is sitting there glaring at me like I've eaten his first born. This was followed by ten seconds of me trying to squeeze my bike past some poor bastard's car while the truck driver repeatedly kept lurching forward and steering to the right at the same time; this was down a reasonably steep hill so I was committed, there was no going back.

Eventually I made it past the car and started riding slowly past the truck. The light turned green and cars began slowly creeping forward, waiting for a gap on the other side of the intersection. At this point the guy in the truck accelerated and turned into the right lane in an attempt to crush me between a car and his trailer; I have a quick-thinking VW golf owner to thank for my life/limbs. He turned his steering to full lock and moved his car halfway onto the wrong side of the road. By now the lights had turned red again and the truck cab was diagonally parked across both lanes with people slowly trying to snake past. As I rolled past he literally hung out of his window and screamed a continuous stream of obscenities at me.

In hindsight I should've gotten his license plate and called the freight company but at the time I was more concerned with not having a huge truck driver beat the poo poo out of me for no reason.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Shoulda also backed off or gotten past the irrational dude who wanted to block you

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

Shoulda also backed off or gotten past the irrational dude who wanted to block you

Should lift more so he's bigger than the truck driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
And then beat the poo poo out of him of course.