Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Colton Haynes is goddamn sexy is what he is. :quagmire:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
They shot loads of Roy stuff last season but a lot of it got cut in the edit.
Hopefully that stuff will make it to DVD extras.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Why did nobody think to ask, "So Thea, that big-rear end mansion you were staying in . . . who else lives there?" Besides the fact that the writers have to draw out Merlyn's big reveal for a few more episodes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"I wasn't an idiot like Ollie, Mr Blow-my-trust-fund-on-hookers-and-blow. Plus the dollar's strong in Corto." Boom, problem solved unless Felicity googles the address or whatever. :v:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Pththya-lyi posted:

Why did nobody think to ask, "So Thea, that big-rear end mansion you were staying in . . . who else lives there?" Besides the fact that the writers have to draw out Merlyn's big reveal for a few more episodes.

Uh, pretty sure they're lining up the big reveals (Ra's, Merlyn) for next week's episode (S03E04). The previews even had Nyssa saying "Malcom Merlyn is back in Starling City."

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

So I binged on this in the past two weeks and finally caught up (well except for Arrow) on the good word I've heard and boy is this show great. It's been a while since I've watched a CW show so all the soap opera love melodrama is hilarious and not too much of a drag from cool fight scenes. Also Oliver really sucks at keeping his secret identity a secret huh? Granted it's in service of CW drama so I understand why he's so inept at it. The other thing that bugged me is how Oliver uses his bow as a melee weapon all the time and I keep expecting it to break like his old one did during season 1, but I'm probably just being a nitpicky jerk.

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 25, 2014

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
Here's something that's been bugging me the first three episodes: What the hell is Diggle's baby mama hiding from him? Her body language is all hosed up towards him, and she was reeeeally eager to get rid of him and send him on a suicide mission in bumfuck nowhere.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Crunk Abortion posted:

Here's something that's been bugging me the first three episodes: What the hell is Diggle's baby mama hiding from him? Her body language is all hosed up towards him, and she was reeeeally eager to get rid of him and send him on a suicide mission in bumfuck nowhere.

Maybe that's some other dude's baby, and he's been cucked, to borrow a GBS meme.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

It's mainly the fans, we DC fans are a sad, downtrodden breed of nerd. DC love making their fans angry, Marvel are crushing it. They listen to their fans, to a point.

All the lower tier dudes doing their own thing. Movie comes out.... we need Ollie for 3 scenes. Not having Amell fire a Kyptonite arrow at Superman on the big screen would be a slap in the face IMO.

Also MoS was a good Superman movie and i will fight anyone who disagrees. Dawn of Justice hasn't come out yet, quit pre bitching

It kind of depends on how you look at things. Marvel Movies are crushing it, but Marvel's is middling at best, and their cartoons are horrible. Meanwhile, DC has kind of OK movies, but their TV shows and cartoons are crushing it. If you watch a couple of episodes of Batman: The Brave and the Bold, you're going to be excited by the prospect of an Aquaman movie.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pretty much agree, but this is not me so much as others. But it upsets them that dc have somewhat unified and open catalog of characters to use in both, where Marvel are limited yet still managed a unified world.

The main difference is DC is run by Evil idiots, and Marvel is run by Evil genius

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 25, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Xtanstic posted:

So I binged on this in the past two weeks and finally caught up (well except for Arrow) on the good word I've heard and boy is this show great. It's been a while since I've watched a CW show so all the soap opera love melodrama is hilarious and not too much of a drag from cool fight scenes. Also Oliver really sucks at keeping his secret identity a secret huh? Granted it's in service of CW drama so I understand why he's so inept at it. The other thing that bugged me is how Oliver uses his bow as a melee weapon all the time and I keep expecting it to break like his old one did during season 1, but I'm probably just being a nitpicky jerk.

I think the writers have said that Oliver's secret identity is really uninteresting and they don't like how they have to write around it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Pretty much agree, but this is not me so much as others. But it upsets them that dc have somewhat unified and open catalog of characters to use in both, where Marvel are limited yet still managed a unified world.

The main difference is DC is run by Evil idiots, and Marvel is run by Evil genius

Marvel's actually run by an evil idiot too it there some smart guys who are able to convince him to do things occasionally,

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

thrakkorzog posted:

It kind of depends on how you look at things. Marvel Movies are crushing it, but Marvel's is middling at best, and their cartoons are horrible. Meanwhile, DC has kind of OK movies, but their TV shows and cartoons are crushing it. If you watch a couple of episodes of Batman: The Brave and the Bold, you're going to be excited by the prospect of an Aquaman movie.

I bet it'd be OUTRAGEOUS, and will called "The Adventure of Aquaman's five star movie and sequel deal!"

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

thrakkorzog posted:

Agents of Shield started off weak, and they have hurt themselves by taking to long to get going, but it has been great for a while now. I like Flash, but i think Arrow has been kind of weak so far this season.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Well this season's been like all setup so far with Ray's introduction, the start of the "Who killed Sara?" plot, the start of Laurel's arc, and the catch-up with Thea. Pretty sure poo poo's about to hit the fan next week.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

VDay posted:

Well this season's been like all setup so far with Ray's introduction, the start of the "Who killed Sara?" plot, the start of Laurel's arc, and the catch-up with Thea. Pretty sure poo poo's about to hit the fan next week.

Exactly, eveyone seems to forget the first couple episodes of season 2 were weak while they set the board up.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
The first couple episodes in any season of any show are entirely set up. We all know that episode 4 is going to be insane so I don't get how people have been saying it's been a weak season so far. Especially since it's been 3 episodes into a 20-something episode series.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

It should be mentioned that Marvel having a unified movie franchise started as a happy accident. Large chunks of Iron Man were improvised on the fly; avengers was nothing more than a "wouldn't it be crazy if" dream on some executive's drunken napkin scribbles. It was only after Iron Man did so well that Marvel moved to set up their own movie studio and consolidate as many of the rights as possible. Because of Whedon's fantastic Avengers script, people kinda forget that the first marvel movies hang together very, very loosely.

By contrast, DC should have the benefit of going second and refining the notion of how to create a branching franchise. But every sign has shown them to be rushing through it, with a huge amount of corporate oversight or putting the wrong people in charge. I can understand why someone thought Zac Snyder would be a good Superman director, but trying to build an entire GRIMDARK universe is awful.

Part of the genius of Marvel's movies is that they're structurally formulaic while tonally diverse. The dramatic beats are practically identical, but each director is allowed to spin their own craziness into the style.

To bring it back to Arrow, I'm very excited to see how much they ping pong between Oliver and Barry Allen. Crossovers feel like they're dime a dozen, but very few serialised shows have successful spin offs. Most people reach for Buffy and Angel as a reference point, and that was over a decade ago (and hampered by the relatively few crossovers),

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Marvel's actually run by an evil idiot too it there some smart guys who are able to convince him to do things occasionally,

Yeah, Marvel's current CEO is basically a (really lame) supervillain.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

greatn posted:

Maybe that's some other dude's baby, and he's been cucked, to borrow a GBS meme.

I have a feeling its more The Wall's influence. I also have a feeling that the seasons going to end with a Thea v Laurel battle is going to end the season.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
If there is one downside to comic book characters having attained huge pop culture status, it's that people who read comics have been let out of their caves and are now expecting all the lovely marketing stunts/cash grabs of that industry (excessive crossovers, connected universes) to be embraced by better forms of media.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Narcissus1916 posted:

It should be mentioned that Marvel having a unified movie franchise started as a happy accident. Large chunks of Iron Man were improvised on the fly; avengers was nothing more than a "wouldn't it be crazy if" dream on some executive's drunken napkin scribbles. It was only after Iron Man did so well that Marvel moved to set up their own movie studio and consolidate as many of the rights as possible. Because of Whedon's fantastic Avengers script, people kinda forget that the first marvel movies hang together very, very loosely.

By contrast, DC should have the benefit of going second and refining the notion of how to create a branching franchise. But every sign has shown them to be rushing through it, with a huge amount of corporate oversight or putting the wrong people in charge. I can understand why someone thought Zac Snyder would be a good Superman director, but trying to build an entire GRIMDARK universe is awful.

Part of the genius of Marvel's movies is that they're structurally formulaic while tonally diverse. The dramatic beats are practically identical, but each director is allowed to spin their own craziness into the style.

To bring it back to Arrow, I'm very excited to see how much they ping pong between Oliver and Barry Allen. Crossovers feel like they're dime a dozen, but very few serialised shows have successful spin offs. Most people reach for Buffy and Angel as a reference point, and that was over a decade ago (and hampered by the relatively few crossovers),

I wouldn't say they were hampered by few crossovers. I think they had the right amount to say "these are in the same universe, these characters are still important to each other, but they have their own lives and their own shows that are different products". If anything I could do with less Buffy characters showing up in Angel, excepting ones that show up to become more permanent fixtures such as Spike or Harmony.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

So did Nyssa have to wreck an entire airport to get to Starling this time?

Didn't she also kill a bunch of dudes? Ollie seems alright with folk interested in wanton civilian slaughter.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

thrakkorzog posted:

If Entourage taught me anything, its that Aquaman is going to kill it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I love Aquaman and the only thing they have to do to make Aquaman a good character for everyone is not portray him apologetically(wink wink he's a fish man we know but come on guys!) and don't overcompensate and say "LOOK HOW loving HARDCORE HE IS HE TORE OFF HIS OWN ARM AND CAN LIFT A WHALE HOLY poo poo YOU GUYS". Just make him a super strong guy who is fast, a good fighter, regal, has complete control in water, and can command sea life. It's not really that hard.

Also make it a sequel to Point Break where Keanu Reeves decides to commit suicide the same way that Patrick Swayze did, but once he is brought under by the ultimate wave finds he can survive underwater because he is the sea king and has been his whole life.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Screw you, I wanna see Jason Momoa bench a whale.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You can see that at his house.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
How did Thea and Laurel go from two of the crappiest characters in the first couple seasons to having the best plots in this one? :suspense:

VVV: OK yeah Thea wasn't so bad in season 2 but she was just reacting to external stuff constantly, this whole badass thing is on a different level.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 26, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

WarLocke posted:

How did Thea and Laurel go from two of the crappiest characters in the first couple seasons to having the best plots in this one? :suspense:

Thea was fine last season. :colbert:

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Narcissus1916 posted:

It was only after Iron Man did so well that Marvel moved to set up their own movie studio

Wrong. Iron Man and Incredible Hulk were made almost simultaneously by the studio. The vague plan to build to Avengers was there pre-Iron Man. The only thing that changed really was that they signed an exclusive distribution deal with Paramount after Iron Man's success (which obviously ended with the Disney acquisition).

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

This entire episode was almost a paint-by-numbers "We're setting up Laurel to be Black Canary" when coupled with her scenes since the opener. Sara dies, Laurel has a vengeance seed planted. Ollie refuses to train her, she has a seed of anger at him to drive her to someone else and be a bit shut in. They bury Sara, and she can't let go of her sister yet, so she decides to emulate her. She wears the coat, tries to kick someone's rear end, loses bad, and decides that she's going to properly learn how to fight.

It really comes across, at least to me, as a sort of blatant set up with a hugely telegraphed payoff this season, and I'm loving every second of it. I've enjoyed Katie Cassidy since she was on Supernatural, and finally getting her as part of the rest of the show is going to be fantastic.

Also Thea's haircut is like, super cute.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I couldn't help but notice that Thea's new short hairdo kind of emulates a key new character's original look to a degree:

http://felicitysglasses.tumblr.com/post/100865572435/queensarrow-thea-queen-in-arrow-3x03-corto

http://siskoid.blogspot.ca/2013/01/finally-origin-of-katana-only-good.html

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I don't think you can say 'emulates', more like it coincidentally resembles to a slight degree. Cutting hair is a well known trope when it comes to being empowered and shrugging off traditional feminine power stereotypes. It's a quick and easy way to visually note a character's change.

Hell, even Ollie had that happen.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Speaking of which, when can 5 years ago Ollie, now in a civilization, get a haircut so he can stop wearing that stupid wig?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I hope that Laurel's training comes off as convincing. Thea's six months of kendo training and magic tea is stretching it, but with Barrowman I can believe it. Self-defense class 2.0 is less convincing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wildcat trained Batman :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rocksicles posted:

Wildcat trained Batman :colbert:

He spars with him. Batman's majority of training was from other people. Better people than stupid Wildcat. :colbert:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He can still put it on his resume, and DC did.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Batman's been trained by, what, half a dozen different people or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, and the rest.

Wildcat is a bad rear end, training Laurel will be a doddle.

• Locked thread