Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mastajake posted:

Maybe I'm just forgetting because I haven't read them in awhile but it seemed like most of the actual child abuse was going down in the first two books, and other than that they were just dicks. Whether they stopped being as bad because they felt it was in their best interest or because they realized he was a person is up in the air though.

Fear was a big thing as they got the howler and then Sirus Black. I also remember them mentioning how they did not even have a picture of him, and they enjoyed his misfortune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

I don't know Harry was fed and clothed and given a roof over his head. They even took him to the zoo when he talked to the snake. They weren't beating the hell out of him or Mr duesley molesting him. Maybe they just didn't like him because he wasn't their kid and was a burden to a family that didn't have a lot to begin with.

Uncle Vernon was a CEO of a drill company or something, they had plenty of money to buy Dudley new tvs computers bikes and poo poo every birthday.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I don't know Harry was fed and clothed and given a roof over his head. They even took him to the zoo when he talked to the snake. They weren't beating the hell out of him or Mr duesley molesting him. Maybe they just didn't like him because he wasn't their kid and was a burden to a family that didn't have a lot to begin with.

He slept in a cupboard full of spiders while his cousin had two bedrooms for himself.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The only reason they took him to the zoo was due to them being unable to find anyone to watch him. They also thought of leaving him in the car, but Vernon did not want him to ruin his new car. They also had enough to send their kid to private school, but unwilling to even buy Harry new clothes. Their kid got a shitload of presents every year, and Harry got none or things like an old sock.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

The main reason the Dursleys hated Harry so much is because they were really afraid of magic. Also Dumbledore threatened Petunia and Vernon and forced them to take Harry into their home.

Petunia's late sister Lily would have accidentally performed magic when they were kids and that would have also made Petunia fearful of magic. Not to mention having to meet James, Sirius, and Peter, who were pretty cruel and probably played magical tricks on Petunia which also caused her to fear magic even more.

It's also possible that Petunia was super jealous of her sister Lily and Lily's magical abilities (and possibly their parents thought Lily's magic was cool). Not to mention the bad shitstorm in the wizarding world later caused Lily's death (and then forced Petunia to have to keep interacting with magic due to Harry's presence in her home).

On a side note, the biggest child abusers in the series were Severus Snape and Umbridge. Snape's motivations were probably very similar to Petunia's -- jealousy, and later loss, which really made him hate Harry a lot. Umbridge was just a sadistic bitch.

Also, JK Rowling would also have been influenced by Charles Dickens. There's plenty of abused kids in Dickens' stories.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Inveigle posted:

It's also possible that Petunia was super jealous of her sister Lily and Lily's magical abilities (and possibly their parents thought Lily's magic was cool).

She was, she even wrote Dumbledore a letter begging to be let into Hogwarts.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

:( I had forgotten that!

Midway through the books, Rowling had hinted at the idea that someone who was non-magical would suddenly get some type of magical abilities towards the end of the series. Fans thought that it would be either Filch, Dudley, or Petunia. A shame that Rowling never did anything with that idea. I had always hoped it might have been Petunia.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Inveigle posted:

On a side note, the biggest child abusers in the series were Severus Snape and Umbridge. Snape's motivations were probably very similar to Petunia's -- jealousy, and later loss, which really made him hate Harry a lot. Umbridge was just a sadistic bitch.

Snape's motivations were entirely jealousy and loss, mostly because he lost the love of his life to the guy who used to bully the poo poo out of him and he also had to teach and eventually protect their child who was pretty much James looking at him with Lily's eyes.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
And I never read a single book. I was told, "oh, hey it gets really good and much more sophisticated," but I could just never make it more than 30 pages into The Philospher's Stone.

This is probably because I was in my mid-20s when the book came out and couldn't make the more organic journey through the books that people who started the series as kids did.

Edit

I did really enjoy the film series and thought a lot of the philosophy of time stuff was really smart.

Though I absolutely hated the Jesus parable ending. So cliche it hurts.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 26, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

This is probably because I was in my mid-20s when the book came out and couldn't make the more organic journey through the books that people who started the series as kids did.

My parents (who were very skeptical about the series, until I got my older sisters to read them) read them and loved them in their mid-fifties. So age is not necessarily an obstacle at all.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

thexerox123 posted:

My parents (who were very skeptical about the series, until I got my older sisters to read them) read them and loved them in their mid-fifties. So age is not necessarily an obstacle at all.

No, you're right. It certainly wasn't for a lot of people I knew (including my dad). I'm just thinking it was probably the primary obstacle to me.

If I wanted to "read" the books, I probably should have started at book 3 or something. My OCD just wouldn't let me.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 26, 2014

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Mercury Hat posted:

First off, what you went through is horrible and I'm sorry.

Thanks for the sympathy, and sorry for taking a while to get back here.

I guess I'd have to side with the Roald Dahl theory, it fits very well with the series' thematic references to other children's lit. It makes sense given that Harry seems to brush off frighteningly awful abuse as though it was simply boring or something. From what I read of everyone's responses there will be more revealed about the older wizard's motivations so it may actually get worse. But if his treatment gets better, even slightly, I suppose I can handle it. I still feel it's wildly inappropriate and disrespectful and has opened up a lens that makes me view an otherwise lighthearted children's coming of age adventure series in a dark light.

You are a shithead and shouldn't talk about things you don't know or care enough to learn about.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mercury Hat posted:

First off, what you went through is horrible and I'm sorry.

I think the reason most of fandom doesn't talk about it is I think it's a mainstay of classic British children's literature that the hero comes from an abusive household. It happened in a few Roald Dahl novels and I'm sure happened in others, so in that regard a lot of fans probably just accept it as a convention of the genre. Wicked stepmothers, evil uncles, and so on.

Googling around, there is some speculation that Rowling may have been abused, and if she was, she may have been using those conventions to work through her feelings on abuse. She's been public about the Dementors representing her depression and she did have an abusive marriage.

If she did come from an abusive home, maybe she was writing Harry to give hope to other abused children? Harry might be a means of escapist fantasy for some children, and maybe a positive message to them? Harry is horribly abused, but it doesn't make him a lesser person and despite the abuse he is good and kind. He finds a new family in his friends who love him and he eventually leaves and lives his own life.

Of course, this would make Dumbledore an even more complex and horrible character if Rowling intended Harry to be going through real-world abuse and not Matilda-fantasy-eat-a-whole-chocolate-cake abuse. Presumably Dumbledore knew the whole time what Harry's home life was like and even though Voldemort hadn't been seen--and couldn't even physically touch Harry if he showed up anyway--he left him there. It wouldn't have kept away Death Eaters and it's not as if anyone with 10 extra minutes couldn't have found out Harry was with the Dursleys. If it was a matter of keeping Harry from getting a fat head over his fame, I'm sure the weirdo Squib catlady next door could've fostered him and kept a secret.

Then again, Dumbledore was basically just raising Harry to be a human shield to sacrifice For The Greater Good. He also didn't seem to see much harm in letting a sad magically-advanced orphan boy who already had trouble connecting with his peers languish in a muggle orphanage, either. Dumbledore's the worst.

I thought they said that deatheaters could not attack him while he was at his home. That is why they had to wait until his 18th birthday to attack. However, you are right that for a long time he was treating him as a human shield until he met him. He really did believe in the phrase "for the greater good", but in a less take over the world way.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought they said that deatheaters could not attack him while he was at his home. That is why they had to wait until his 18th birthday to attack.

For as much authority as the Harry Potter wiki has, it does agree that he was protected from the death eaters as well. It would make the most sense, I just thought that it was anti-Voldemort only and the death eaters never bothered because they were all mostly pretending they weren't criminals to begin with.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That's mentioned towards the end of the fifth, or sixth book. Until Harry turns 17 (and I just now realized why Rowling made the age of maturity for wizards), if he spends like one month living with a blood relative of his mother he's got some level of protection from Voldemort and his crew.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

TheModernAmerican posted:

I guess I'd have to side with the Roald Dahl theory, it fits very well with the series' thematic references to other children's lit. It makes sense given that Harry seems to brush off frighteningly awful abuse as though it was simply boring or something. From what I read of everyone's responses there will be more revealed about the older wizard's motivations so it may actually get worse. But if his treatment gets better, even slightly, I suppose I can handle it. I still feel it's wildly inappropriate and disrespectful and has opened up a lens that makes me view an otherwise lighthearted children's coming of age adventure series in a dark light.

The Dursley segments are basically just used as narrative devices to bookend the story. You could skip them without too much trouble. I'm sure someone with the books on hand could figure out what chapters to start on and give a quick summary of anything vital missed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Anyway I've been devouring the series, putting my normal podcasting schedule out of whack as I've finished the first two books in one week but I've noticed that going through the first few chapters has been a chore, taking me the better part of two days of going through one to five minute chunks before moving on to something else.

There was no mystery as to why it was so hard, but it did finally answer the reason why I threw the book down as a kid and started reading Zelazny and Robert E Howard before I got out of elementary school. It's the Dursley's. Everything about them is so problematic and vividly triggering to my childhood of abuse that I end up in tears just trying to get through it. I don't understand how a children's book can have vivid and graphic destriptions of child abuse to open up each book. Granted I haven't been in the fandom but simply by existing in the culture I've heard more than my share of Potter discussion and I've never once heard anyone talk about how terrible and disgusting the portrayal of his adoptive family is. And the way Rowling describes it is so unfortunately vivid because the only times I've heard someone fictionalize abuse that well is from victims of it themselves, so my mind doesn't focus on the story, but of my own past and the theoretical past of Rowling's. But worst of all is how unnecessary it is, the place of the Dursley's in the story makes no sense if they’re supposed to make me hate muggles then why is the entire plot of the second book about how much Harry doesn’t hate muggles? If it’s supposed to be about how great it is that the wizarding world actually cares for Harry why do they send him back year after year to suffer at the hands of uncaring, evil people? If it’s supposed to emphasize how wonderful and magical Hogwarts is and how boring and bland the ordinary world is, why the gently caress would you even do that, that’s the most terrible, egregious way of showing the fact that real life is boring I’ve ever heard of. I, hand to God, can't make sense of it and need to discuss it with someone.

Hrm, good question.

I think it's a couple of different things.

Partly as was mentioned above it's that there's a tradition of horrible parents of victimized orphans in English literature, especially in Roald Dahl and Dickens, both of whom seem to have been really big influences on Rowling.

More importantly though there's a reason that authors like Rowling, Dickens, and Dahl start their stories like this, and I think it's that the books are escapist fantasy and escapist fantasy generally means an escape from something fairly horrible. Most people reading the story of Harry's life are going to 1) stop thinking about their own problems because Harry's are initially worse, and then 2) Harry gets a literally magical ticket away from all his problems! I, the escapism-seeking reader, may one day find my own fantastical ticket away from my problems too! Wouldn't that be nice! And then the rest of the story happens.

As to why he has to keep coming back, there are some in-narrative explanations for that later in the series. More to the point though I think Rowling wanted that "horrible life --> escape into magic" dynamic to happen in every book, since it's one of the engines that drives the fantasy. Just like Harry, you, the reader, get to escape from your horrible life into this magical fantasy. That type of explicit in-narrative labeling of the story as "ESCAPIST FANTASY HERE, LOOK HE LITERALLY ESCAPES" may seem redundant or unnecessary to readers who've read a lot of other modern fantasy, but it's part of why the books had such mainstream popular appeal. That fantasy of escape is the "hook" that brings you back.

Plus she's always careful to show the Dursleys getting comeuppance and Harry getting some appropriate degree of vengeance in every sequence, whether it's Vernon getting frightened out of his wits in the first book or whatever else. SO that's part of the fantasy too.

It's difficult to deal with and vivid because Rowling's a good writer and she's got a good eye for human character and she understands how neglect and abuse happens and so she writes it believably. If you're interested in fictional chronicles of child abuse, I'd recommend checking out David Copperfield as well.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 27, 2014

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

You are a shithead and shouldn't talk about things you don't know or care enough to learn about.

What else do I need to learn about Harry potter outside of reading the books and watching the movies? Do you have a source explaining all Harry's abuse outside of these? Secret details about the extent of the physical and possible sexual abuse thrust upon the boy who lived.

He was an orphan who was unloved by his guardians. He was also an annoying wunderkind the type you'd like to bean in the back of the head with a rock. " oh look there goes harry potter" "Harry saved the day again" sorry slithering and hufflepuff thanks to Harry potter 100 points to gryffendor you loose. Got an important dinner party sorry Harry and his magical friends will ruin it.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

thexerox123 posted:

My dad was the same way. I did a book report on the first book when I was eleven (the same age as Harry! :razz:) that made my dad conclude that the books were really stupid, but I after a while I got him to read some to me at bedtime and he was hooked. He compared them to the Hardy Boys books he read when he was a child himself, "except they're good." I switched to reading to him and it was surprising how much he enjoyed it. The night I read him the scene in CoS where Lucius Malfoy suspends Dumbledore as headmaster, my mom came in and scolded him for keeping me up so late. He explained that he was sorry, but he was just so invested in the political intrigue that he had to know what happened next!

Later on I read the books to Mom, and she liked them pretty well too (though not as enthusiastically as Dad did). Her one complaint was that the Quidditch sequences bored her; sports were never her thing.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I'm so sorry for what happened to you. That's awful.

You seemed distressed at no one else taking the events in the book as abuse. If it helps, I think large parts of the fandom do see the Dursley's actions as abuse. I remember lots of discussions of how hosed up the actions of the Dursleys, Dumbledore, Snape, and Umbridge are. Also, one of the better fanfics I've read was from the point of view of Dudley slowly realizing that the way his family treats Harry is not normal. (Trigger warnings, obviously, but if anyone is interested: link. Also, I haven't read fanfic in years, so maybe this actually sucks?)

As other have mentioned, the series starts of as Dahlian fairy tale, and the grownups ranging from monstrous to merely grossly incompetent fits with that. As the series goes on, however, things get grittier and more "realistic." I think that's a big part of why the ending is so dissatisfying. All the horrors and dangers become more and more real, but their resolution is purely fairy tale. It's dissonant.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

What else do I need to learn about Harry potter outside of reading the books and watching the movies? Do you have a source explaining all Harry's abuse outside of these? Secret details about the extent of the physical and possible sexual abuse thrust upon the boy who lived.

He was an orphan who was unloved by his guardians. He was also an annoying wunderkind the type you'd like to bean in the back of the head with a rock. " oh look there goes harry potter" "Harry saved the day again" sorry slithering and hufflepuff thanks to Harry potter 100 points to gryffendor you loose. Got an important dinner party sorry Harry and his magical friends will ruin it.

I'm glad the only kind of abuse in the world is physical and sexual, great, loving cool.

When you have kids, try locking them in a closet for 99% of the day for the entirety of summer and see how they turn out. Or maybe bring in the extended family and spend an entire week ridiculing and teasing a 13 year old I'm sure they'd just pass it off as good fun.

But no you're right, you got to hit kids for it to "count" or touch them, that's the only way to gently caress with people.

I knew I shouldn't of brought this poo poo up, there's always terrible assholes like you running around.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Inveigle posted:

The main reason the Dursleys hated Harry so much is because they were really afraid of magic.

This is my theory too. The Dursleys were terrified of wizards in general, and Harry in particular. I think it's mostly down to Petunia. She knew what Azkaban was, and what dementors were, plus, her sister was murdered by the most powerful and evil dark wizard of the time. That's enough to make you believe the wizarding world isn't the super fun happy land they make it out to be. Her resentment of her sister may be partially due to the fact that if she hadn't been a witch, she'd still be alive. (though initial jealousy at not having magical powers herself played a part.)

Initially, they treated Harry like crap because they thought keeping him downtrodden would keep the magic out of him. They wanted him to be as "normal" and boring as possible, going so far as to bitch at him for having imaginative dreams. I can only guess they kept treating him like crap after book 2 out of fear, since after that point, they couldn't stop him from becoming a wizard.

As far as Dumbledore (and wizards in general) was concerned, I think he was misguided, but genuinely didn't think Harry had it that bad. I have two reasons for this theory. For one thing, punishments in the wizarding world used to be incredibly harsh, Filtch mentioned detention used to mean being hung by the thumbs in the dungeons, and even in modern times, being sent into the forest wasn't the nicest thing to have done to you. For another thing, from Dumbledore's perspective, the Dursleys were far crueler to their son than to Harry, though it's up to the reader to speculate why he thought this.

I do wish we had some well-developped, kind muggles in the series. As is, there were only Hermoine's parents, who are barely in the books, and the prime minister, who was just there to be annoyed by the minister for magic. (and in my head was James Hacker.)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

But no you're right, you got to hit kids for it to "count" or touch them, that's the only way to gently caress with people.

I'm pretty sure Dudley and his buddies beat Harry up on a regular basis so they covered the physical abuse angle as well.

Bad Wolf posted:

This is my theory too. The Dursleys were terrified of wizards in general, and Harry in particular. I think it's mostly down to Petunia.

They wanted him to be as "normal" and boring as possible,

The normal point is important too because the Dursleys were the types who placed tremendous importance on conformity, keeping up with the Joneses, etc. So having someone like Harry who existed outside their conception of normal polite society just didn't fit with their social aspirations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bad Wolf posted:

(and in my head was James Hacker.)

I think this was true for just about everyone, or at least everyone who's seen Yes Minister. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she was imagining Jim Hacker as she wrote.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I started reading he series as a kid and just figured the lovely way Harry was treated was just the steps you had to take into order for magic happy times to start. Like a running start to jump through the looking glass, instead of just falling down the rabbit hole. I wonder what'd it come across as now, reading it as an adult with it nearly brand new. I never did finish the series, shamefully. If it weren't for the movie I'd never have known what happened in the end. Does the final book differ much from the movie?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bad Wolf posted:

I do wish we had some well-developped, kind muggles in the series. As is, there were only Hermoine's parents, who are barely in the books, and the prime minister, who was just there to be annoyed by the minister for magic. (and in my head was James Hacker.)

The Other Minister is actually probably my favourite chapter in the entire series.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Wedemeyer posted:

I never did finish the series, shamefully. If it weren't for the movie I'd never have known what happened in the end. Does the final book differ much from the movie?

The major points of the book are covered in the two films. Thankfully, the writers excised the ridiculous talky bits between Harry and Voldemort during their final duel.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

JohnSherman posted:

The major points of the book are covered in the two films. Thankfully, the writers excised the ridiculous talky bits between Harry and Voldemort during their final duel.
To be honest, I actually missed the way Harry kept taunting Voldemort and calling him "Tom".

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Urdnot Fire posted:

To be honest, I actually missed the way Harry kept taunting Voldemort and calling him "Tom".

Also the entire (still living) cast watching the duel and exploding into insane cheers when Voldemort dropped was a moment of catharsis I felt was missing from the last film.

The best addition was that, instead of "dead" Harry putting on the cloak and slipping away and causing a bunch of confusion, he literally just gets up and scampers off and Ron just kind of smirks with an "oh that Harry" look.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Also the last movie, after trying to say that your House doesn't matter and that people can show traits from other Houses and we sort too early, they throw the Slytherins in the dungeons to the cheers and applause of the other students and teachers.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

bobjr posted:

Also the last movie, after trying to say that your House doesn't matter and that people can show traits from other Houses and we sort too early, they throw the Slytherins in the dungeons to the cheers and applause of the other students and teachers.

I'm sure a lot of that had to do with the Slytherins being the Carrows' enforcement squad during the year

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

bobjr posted:

Wait, what? I never saw the last film, what's the context of this?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

howe_sam posted:

I'm sure a lot of that had to do with the Slytherins being the Carrows' enforcement squad during the year

Also desire to turn Harry over. In the book they point out that its just one that wants to do it, but the movie they just toss them all into that category. Yet they still show Slughorn fighting for them.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
And yet, Slytherin isn't supposed to be the evil house...I'm glad I skipped the movie.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Wittgen posted:

I'm so sorry for what happened to you. That's awful.

You seemed distressed at no one else taking the events in the book as abuse. If it helps, I think large parts of the fandom do see the Dursley's actions as abuse. I remember lots of discussions of how hosed up the actions of the Dursleys, Dumbledore, Snape, and Umbridge are. Also, one of the better fanfics I've read was from the point of view of Dudley slowly realizing that the way his family treats Harry is not normal. (Trigger warnings, obviously, but if anyone is interested: link. Also, I haven't read fanfic in years, so maybe this actually sucks?)

As other have mentioned, the series starts of as Dahlian fairy tale, and the grownups ranging from monstrous to merely grossly incompetent fits with that. As the series goes on, however, things get grittier and more "realistic." I think that's a big part of why the ending is so dissatisfying. All the horrors and dangers become more and more real, but their resolution is purely fairy tale. It's dissonant.

There actually was a bit when Harry was leaving the house for the last time where Dudley is basically having to fight through all of the conditioning his parents put him through to apologize to Harry for how he treated him and say goodbye to him.

It was ruined by making a comedic moment out of it, but it was there.

EDIT: Regarding the movies, I never get tired of this clip on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsYWT5Q_R_w

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Here is the new story
Its a bit interesting, but learned really nothing new.

quote:

The story of Dolores Jane Umbridge

Dolores Jane Umbridge was the eldest child and only daughter of Orford Umbridge, a wizard, and Ellen Cracknell, a Muggle, who also had a Squib son. Dolores’ parents were unhappily married, and Dolores secretly despised both of them: Orford for his lack of ambition (he had never been promoted, and worked in the Department of Magical Maintenance at the Ministry of Magic), and her mother, Ellen, for her flightiness, untidiness, and Muggle lineage. Both Orford and his daughter blamed Ellen for Dolores's brother's lack of magical ability, with the result that when Dolores was fifteen, the family split down the middle, Orford and Dolores remaining together, and Ellen vanishing back into the Muggle world with her son. Dolores never saw her mother or brother again, never spoke of either of them, and henceforth pretended to all she met that she was a pure-blood.

An accomplished witch, Dolores joined the Ministry of Magic directly after she left Hogwarts, taking a job as a lowly intern in the Improper Use of Magic Office. Even at seventeen, Dolores was judgemental, prejudiced and sadistic, although her conscientious attitude, her saccharine manner towards her superiors, and the ruthlessness and stealth with which she took credit for other people's work soon gained her advancement. Before she was thirty, Dolores had been promoted to Head of the office, and it was but a short step from there to ever more senior positions in the management of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. By this time, she had persuaded her father to take early retirement, and by making him a small financial allowance, she ensured that he dropped quietly out of sight. Whenever she was asked (usually by workmates who did not like her) 'are you related to that Umbridge who used to mop the floors here?' she would smile her sweetest, laugh, and deny any connection whatsoever, claiming that her deceased father had been a distinguished member of the Wizengamot. Nasty things tended to happen to people who asked about Orford, or anything that Dolores did not like talking about, and people who wanted to remain on her good side pretended to believe her version of her ancestry.

In spite of her best efforts to secure the affections of one of her superiors (she never cared particularly which of them it was, but knew that her own status and security would be advanced with a powerful husband), Dolores never succeeded in marrying. While they valued her hard work and ambition, those who got to know her best found it difficult to like her very much. After a glass of sweet sherry, Dolores was always prone to spout very uncharitable views, and even those who were anti-Muggle found themselves shocked by some of Dolores's suggestions, behind closed doors, of the treatment that the non-magical community deserved.

As she grew older and harder, and rose higher within the Ministry, Dolores's taste in little girlish accessories grew more and more pronounced; her office became a place of frills and furbelows, and she liked anything decorated with kittens (though found the real thing inconveniently messy). As the Minister for Magic Cornelius Fudge became increasingly anxious and paranoid that Albus Dumbledore had ambitions to supersede him, Dolores managed to claw her way to the very heart of power, by stoking both Fudge's vanity and his fears, and presenting herself as one of the few he could trust.

Dolores's appointment as Inquisitor at Hogwarts gave full scope, for the first time in her life, for her prejudices and her cruelty. She had not enjoyed her time at school, where she had been overlooked for all positions of responsibility, and she relished the chance to return and wield power over those who had not (as she saw it) given her her due.

Dolores has what amounts to a phobia of beings that are not quite, or wholly, human. Her distaste for the half-giant Hagrid, and her terror of centaurs, reveal a terror of the unknown and the wild. She is an immensely controlling person, and all who challenge her authority and world-view must, in her opinion, be punished. She actively enjoys subjugating and humiliating others, and except in their declared allegiances, there is little to choose between her and Bellatrix Lestrange.

Dolores's time at Hogwarts ended disastrously, because she overreached the remit Fudge had given her, stepping outside the bounds of her own authority, carried away with a fanatical sense of self-purpose. Shaken but unrepentant after a catastrophic end to her Hogwarts career, she returned to a Ministry, which had been plunged into turmoil due to the return of Lord Voldemort.

In the change of regimes that followed Fudge's forced resignation, Dolores was able to slip back into her former position at the Ministry. The new Minister, Rufus Scrimgeour, had more immediate problems pressing in on him than Dolores Umbridge. Scrimgeour was later punished for this oversight, because the fact that the Ministry had never punished Dolores for her many abuses of power seemed to Harry Potter to reveal both its complacency and its carelessness. Harry considered Dolores's continuing employment, and the lack of any repercussions for her behaviour at Hogwarts, a sign of the Ministry's essential corruption, and refused to cooperate with the new Minister because of it (Dolores is the only person, other than Lord Voldemort, to leave a permanent physical scar on Harry, having forced him to cut the words 'I must not tell lies' on the back of his own hand during detention).

Dolores was soon enjoying life at the Ministry more than ever. When the Ministry was taken over by the puppet Minister Pius Thicknesse, and infiltrated by the Dark Lord's followers, Dolores was in her true element at last. Correctly judged, by senior Death Eaters, to have much more in common with them than she ever had with Albus Dumbledore, she not only retained her post but was given extra authority, becoming Head of the Muggle-born Registration Commission, which was in effect a kangaroo court that imprisoned all Muggle-borns on the basis that they had ‘stolen’ their wands and their magic.

It was as she sat in judgement of another innocent woman that Harry Potter finally attacked Dolores in the very heart of the Ministry, and stole from her the Horcrux she had unwittingly been wearing.

With the fall of Lord Voldemort, Dolores Umbridge was put on trial for her enthusiastic co-operation with his regime, and convicted of the torture, imprisonment and deaths of several people (some of the innocent Muggle-borns she sentenced to Azkaban did not survive their ordeal).

Birthday: 26th August

Wand: Birch and dragon heartstring, eight inches long

Hogwarts house: Slytherin

Special abilities: Her punishment quill is of her own invention

Parentage: Muggle mother, wizard father

Family: Unmarried, no children

Hobbies: Collecting the 'Frolicsome Feline' ornamental plate range, adding flounces to fabric and frills to stationary objects, inventing instruments of torture

DiverTwig
Jul 23, 2003
I ignore all NWS Tags, my Boss's like porn

But if his treatment gets better, even slightly, I suppose I can handle it.

It does. I would say it gets significantly better. Starting with the end of the 3rd book when Harry gets home from Hogwarts and says "Oh, yeah, that murderer they were looking for, he's my godfather. And he really really cares about me. So don't gently caress with me anymore, k?". Which continues at the beginning of the 4th book. At the end of the 5th book, after Harry has seen some poo poo a bunch of fully qualified wizards again re-iterate to the Dursleys that they are to NOT gently caress with Harry in any way.

So yeah, at first I agree it's pretty bad, but it does get better.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Here is the new story
Its a bit interesting, but learned really nothing new.

Yeah more of a character sketch than a story. I liked Rowling's note accompanying it though:

quote:

Once, long ago, I took instruction in a certain skill or subject (I am being vague as vague can be, for reasons that are about to become obvious), and in doing so, came into contact with a teacher or instructor whom I disliked intensely on sight.

The woman in question returned my antipathy with interest. Why we took against each other so instantly, heartily and (on my side, at least) irrationally, I honestly cannot say. What sticks in my mind is her pronounced taste for twee accessories. I particularly recall a tiny little plastic bow slide, pale lemon in colour that she wore in her short curly hair. I used to stare at that little slide, which would have been appropriate to a girl of three, as though it was some kind of repellent physical growth. She was quite a stocky woman, and not in the first flush of youth, and her tendency to wear frills where (I felt) frills had no business to be, and to carry undersized handbags, again as though they had been borrowed from a child's dressing-up box, jarred, I felt, with a personality that I found the reverse of sweet, innocent and ingenuous.

I am always a little wary when talking about these kinds of sources of inspiration, because it is infuriating to hear yourself misinterpreted in ways that can cause other people a great deal of hurt. This woman was NOT 'the real Dolores Umbridge'. She did not look like a toad, she was never sadistic or vicious to me or anyone else, and I never heard her express a single view in common with Umbridge (indeed, I never knew her well enough to know much about her views or preferences, which makes my dislike of her even less justifiable). However, it is true to say that I borrowed from her, then grossly exaggerated, a taste for the sickly sweet and girlish in dress, and it was that tiny little pale lemon plastic bow that I was remembering when I perched the fly-like ornament on Dolores Umbridge's head.

I have noticed more than once in life that a taste for the ineffably twee can go hand-in-hand with a distinctly uncharitable outlook on the world. I once shared an office with a woman who had covered the wall space behind her desk with pictures of fluffy kitties; she was the most bigoted, spiteful champion of the death penalty with whom it has ever been my misfortune to share a kettle. A love of all things saccharine often seems present where there is a lack of real warmth or charity.

So Dolores, who is one of the characters for whom I feel purest dislike, became an amalgam of traits taken from these, and a variety of sources. Her desire to control, to punish and to inflict pain, all in the name of law and order, are, I think, every bit as reprehensible as Lord Voldemort's unvarnished espousal of evil.

Umbridge's names were carefully chosen. 'Dolores' means sorrow, something she undoubtedly inflicts on all around her. 'Umbridge' is a play on 'umbrage' from the British expression 'to take umbrage', meaning offence. Dolores is offended by any challenge to her limited world-view; I felt her surname conveyed the pettiness and rigidity of her character. It is harder to explain 'Jane'; it simply felt rather smug and neat between her other two names.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

I'm glad the only kind of abuse in the world is physical and sexual, great, loving cool.

When you have kids, try locking them in a closet for 99% of the day for the entirety of summer and see how they turn out. Or maybe bring in the extended family and spend an entire week ridiculing and teasing a 13 year old I'm sure they'd just pass it off as good fun.

I knew I shouldn't of brought this poo poo up, there's always terrible assholes like you running around.

99% of the summer what books are you reading I don't remember that. Harry turned put just fine he managed to have a stable relationship with his high school sweetheart long enough to get married and have kids. In fact throughout the books he seemed quite well adjusted he had friends several teachers and peers thought highly of him despite having several life threatening encounters. It's safe to say Harry potter turned put ok perhaps for the better by the humbling experience of being raised by the dursleys. Maybe his parents would have spoiled him rotten what with all that gold and he would have been just like Malfoy.

Like Harry I think the youth of today need to stop blaming their parents and whining about how they were mistreated, unloved, or didnt get that pony. It's best to grow up and take responsibility for yourself and decide that your future is on your own shoulders. Harry did it so can you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

99% of the summer what books are you reading I don't remember that. Harry turned put just fine he managed to have a stable relationship with his high school sweetheart long enough to get married and have kids. In fact throughout the books he seemed quite well adjusted he had friends several teachers and peers thought highly of him despite having several life threatening encounters. It's safe to say Harry potter turned put ok perhaps for the better by the humbling experience of being raised by the dursleys. Maybe his parents would have spoiled him rotten what with all that gold and he would have been just like Malfoy.

Like Harry I think the youth of today need to stop blaming their parents and whining about how they were mistreated, unloved, or didnt get that pony. It's best to grow up and take responsibility for yourself and decide that your future is on your own shoulders. Harry did it so can you.
Harry Potter and the Bootstraps of Rand

• Locked thread