Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ought ten posted:

Mike Freeman's right.

But seriously there's little worse in sports reporting than the anonymous source locker room unrest story, and this one is particularly stupid.

A bunch of whtie guys with one blackish friend between them? I'm not seeing the problem with this picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

When I hear "Russell Wilson," I do think of a white dude that probably, like, does landscaping or something and enjoys camo hats.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

ought ten posted:

Mike Freeman's right.

But seriously there's little worse in sports reporting than the anonymous source locker room unrest story, and this one is particularly stupid.

Can any of them run an out route

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Petite Dinklage posted:

Can any of them run an out route

No one in that picture has any trouble walking the straight and narrow.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Chichevache posted:

A bunch of whtie guys with one blackish friend between them? I'm not seeing the problem with this picture.

That picture makes Wilson look like a total bro, and the black bro is a rare breed. And how many black viewers do you think Seth Meyers has? But I only meant it tongue-in-cheek.

The Seahawks suck this year because they have a hard schedule, half their D line is gone and the league changed the rules to nerf their CBs. But no, Mike Freeman, let's focus on whether players are being kind to one another in the locker room.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

ought ten posted:

That picture makes Wilson look like a total bro, and the black bro is a rare breed. And how many black viewers do you think Seth Meyers has? But I only meant it tongue-in-cheek.

The Seahawks suck this year because they have a hard schedule, half their D line is gone and the league changed the rules to nerf their CBs. But no, Mike Freeman, let's focus on whether players are being kind to one another in the locker room.

If the Seahawks CBs depended that much on contact downfield then that's pretty sad.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Ehud posted:

I think of myself as a well spoken black.

I don't think blacks post here. Because I don't see color. I just see bad fans. :colbert:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
What if Russell Wilson were white?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
The nickname for black guys who act too white is "cornball," the nickname for white guys who act too white is "sir"

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Chichevache posted:

I don't know, I'd keep an eye on 'backwards hat guy'

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Saying Russell Wilson isn't black enough is stereotyping Wisconsin quarterbacks.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Coco13 posted:

Saying Russell Wilson isn't black enough is stereotyping Wisconsin quarterbacks.

He is not a true Wisconsin quarterback, both because he was only at Wisconsin for like six months and because he is not Jim Sorgi playing under an assumed name.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Sour Diesel posted:

If the Seahawks CBs depended that much on contact downfield then that's pretty sad.

CBs getting pretty liberal with contact has historically been the way high flying offenses got shut down. See mid-00's Patriots vs Rams/Colts

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

He is not a true Wisconsin quarterback, both because he was only at Wisconsin for like six months and because he is not Jim Sorgi playing under an assumed name.

Which Big Ten team has cloned their quarterback more often, Wisconsin or Northwestern?

Also this reminded me of my favorite thing to come out of "What if Michael Vick were white?":

"What if Eli and Peyton Manning switched bodies and only Jim Sorgi knew?"

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I wonder which type of "reporting" has a higher percent of anonymous quotes, political reporting or sports reporting. It is amazing how both forms of "journalism" will create entire narratives without a single person going on record.

I don't think I have seen a sourced negative quote in either field in like 5 years. It is ridiculous.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

White Michael Vick is a treasure of NFL writing

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

I wonder which type of "reporting" has a higher percent of anonymous quotes, political reporting or sports reporting. It is amazing how both forms of "journalism" will create entire narratives without a single person going on record.

I don't think I have seen a sourced negative quote in either field in like 5 years. It is ridiculous.

It also tickles me because it doesn't even matter.

If you're at Defense, State, or Homeland Security and they don't say "unnamed source," that source can end up in jail for a while.
If you're at the Steelers and they name your name, ...well "unnamed sources say Ben Roethlisberger was grouchy because he stubbed his toe on a door frame" doesn't mean poo poo.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Well, at least the narrow ;)

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Sash! posted:

It also tickles me because it doesn't even matter.

If you're at Defense, State, or Homeland Security and they don't say "unnamed source," that source can end up in jail for a while.
If you're at the Steelers and they name your name, ...well "unnamed sources say Ben Roethlisberger was grouchy because he stubbed his toe on a door frame" doesn't mean poo poo.

It does matter though. Sports media is one of those areas where access is a primary concern. If you air out named dirty laundry, the organization will close ranks and your media outlet will find another beat writer who can write just like you. If you piss off the club bad enough they can severely affect your advertising bottom line by going with another outlet come broadcast contract time.

Remember, this isn't Woodward and Bernstein uncovering Executive Branch malfeasance, it's grown men playing kids games and spending their prime adult years in a proxy of high school. You will be punished for getting out of line as a journalist and it's a hundred times worse now because the media effectively cannot support itself with it's own product (e.g. Advertising dollars are their only revenue because the 'newsstand' is basically a relic of a previous century).

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp

TyroneGoldstein posted:

It does matter though. Sports media is one of those areas where access is a primary concern. If you air out named dirty laundry, the organization will close ranks and your media outlet will find another beat writer who can write just like you. If you piss off the club bad enough they can severely affect your advertising bottom line by going with another outlet come broadcast contract time.

Remember, this isn't Woodward and Bernstein uncovering Executive Branch malfeasance, it's grown men playing kids games and spending their prime adult years in a proxy of high school. You will be punished for getting out of line as a journalist and it's a hundred times worse now because the media effectively cannot support itself with it's own product (e.g. Advertising dollars are their only revenue because the 'newsstand' is basically a relic of a previous century).

Bill Simmons says hello. Speaking of which, in his pick columns he made quite a few more allusions to Goodell knowing about the tape and being a liar so I wonder if they'll do anything to him again.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

TyroneGoldstein posted:

it's a hundred times worse now because the media effectively cannot support itself with it's own product (e.g. Advertising dollars are their only revenue because the 'newsstand' is basically a relic of a previous century).

That was always the case. Subscriptions never represented much of a revenue stream for newspapers.

The desire for a good scoop outweighs concerns about burning sources, but if he audience accepts anonymous sources, sources come to expect it, and journalists can't get anything on the record because the next guy will take it off the record

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Plafop posted:

Bill Simmons says hello. Speaking of which, in his pick columns he made quite a few more allusions to Goodell knowing about the tape and being a liar so I wonder if they'll do anything to him again.

I doubt it. The official justification for suspending him was that he "provoked ESPN." He didn't do that in his picks column so he'll be fine.

Also I'm surprised there's been no talk about Peter King's latest idiocy.

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp

Beard Yawn posted:

I doubt it. The official justification for suspending him was that he "provoked ESPN." He didn't do that in his picks column so he'll be fine.

I thought the official justification was some bullshit like "journalistic integrity" and how he called Goodell a liar without proof and "we hold ourselves to higher standards at ESPN." Obviously the real reason is because he very publicly called out his bosses.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Upon some further reading, I guess you're right. I remember hearing when it first went down that their reasoning was that he'd taunted his bosses, but I just read that the president of ESPN said the primary cause was ~journalistic integrity~. Which is frankly hilarious coming from ESPN, celebrators of Tim Tebow's birthday.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Beard Yawn posted:

I'm not sure we should be surprised that King would handle it like the NFL did Ray Rice. He gets cartoon hearts in his eyes every time he types the words, "Roger Goodell".

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Beard Yawn posted:

Upon some further reading, I guess you're right. I remember hearing when it first went down that their reasoning was that he'd taunted his bosses, but I just read that the president of ESPN said the primary cause was ~journalistic integrity~. Which is frankly hilarious coming from ESPN, celebrators of Tim Tebow's birthday.

That was probably the actual reason but not the one they gave. He tried to paint himself as a brave rebel and in the process strongly implied espn wasn't brave enough to call out goddell which is asinine given how they covered the story. I'd have been annoyed if I were them too.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 25, 2014

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Beard Yawn posted:

I wish people would pump their brakes racing from high horse to high horse. Presumably this guy is a friend of Peter King's. So Peter wants to support his friend. He doesn't owe everyone a detailed breakdown of his friend's personal failings the morning after working 18 straight hours (moron or not, Peter King clearly puts the work in from about 9am Sunday until who knows when Monday morning). I know in 2014 everyone can instantly analyze a situation from all angles and know exactly what the person in charge should have done, but maybe it took King over 24 hours to wrap his head around things.......holy moly I just defended Peter King.

Punching a cab driver and stealing his car is a hell of a crime though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ostentatious posted:

White Michael Vick is a treasure of NFL writing

White Michael Vick is THE treasure of NFL writing

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
What if Michael Vick were gay?

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.

Anaranjado posted:

What if Michael Vick were gay?

He would probably still live in Atlanta.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I guarantee that White Michael Vick is gay. He's also still the QB in Atlanta in his universe.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Thats 5 time Super Bowl MVP White Mike Vick

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
All anyone ever talks about is the Vick/Manning Rivalry. Brady never got a shot in that universe and after 4 years backing up the poo poo-show in New England he retired and works as a used car salesman.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
WHere is the White Mike Vick stuff from?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Neil Armbong posted:

WHere is the White Mike Vick stuff from?

There was an article in ESPNMag years ago titled "What if Michael Vick Were White?"

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/6894586/imagining-michael-vick-white-quarterback-nfl-espn-magazine

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

There was an article in ESPNMag years ago titled "What if Michael Vick Were White?"

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/6894586/imagining-michael-vick-white-quarterback-nfl-espn-magazine

Toure spoke at my college last year and was awkward and spoke for less time than they paid for. He went on a spiel about lack of father figures in African-American communities and all of the sociology majors got really mad and took it like a hipper version of that Bill Cosby image macro. We were supposed to get Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If Vick was white, he'd be Roethlisberger.
If Vick was gay, he'd be Kordell Stewart.
If Vick was a Thundercat, he'd be Panthro.

This isn't hard

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Didn't the writer have no clue they were going to make that graphic until it was published?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

swickles posted:

Didn't the writer have no clue they were going to make that graphic until it was published?

Nope he did not, nor the headline/URL. I feel bad for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

DJExile posted:

"Oh yeah wasn't that like a Jemele Hill joint?"

*clicks link*

"gently caress now I am reminded that Touré was ever a thing"

• Locked thread