Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DrVenkman posted:

Also, I can't help but laugh at the website wcwwrestling.com. Did wcw.com already exist?

This was the early days of the internet and cybersquatting was still questionably legal and rampant. People were making a lot of money registering domain names that they knew companies would eventually want to own. What's so funny about this is that Turner didn't just pay whoever had the rights to wcw.com whatever they wanted considering how much money they were already throwing at stupid bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Glacier was supposed to be Rob Van Dam. He turned them down to stay at ECW.

I want fanart of what this would look like and I want it now.

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean The holiday classic Jingle all the Way?

He means ZEE HEET HOLEEDAY FEELM JINGLE ALL ZA VAY!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
'96 Update: Roddy Piper shows up at the end of Halloween Havoc. He cuts a half-decent promo on Hogan but it's not enough to get me or anyone else excited.

As it turns out I somehow missed two Nitro episodes in the run up to Halloween Havoc, so I gave those a watch. They're largely fine, though one of them is most notable for the début of JIMI GRAFFITI! He's somehow in a cruiserweight match with Malenko, despite very much not being a cruiserweight. I checked on cagematch.net and he's gone by January. Spoilers.

I've not said a lot about the Nick Patrick angle yet. It starts off fine, with things being a little ambiguous as to whether or not he's on the take. He's also managed to sell an injury when most wrestlers forget. It's impressive work from Patrick, who's also one of the better promo guys oddly enough. He's naturally suited to the mic, and isn't as stilted as you'd think.

It's good to see Jericho rising in the ranks as well. He's getting over like crazy, despite his theme song.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Animal-Mother posted:

WCW's rings were 18x18 feet. Mcmahon prefers the larger 20x20 and with actual ropes instead of wrapped steel cables.

Could Rick Martel have suffered the same career-ending injury in a WWF ring?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DrVenkman posted:

'96 Update: Roddy Piper shows up at the end of Halloween Havoc. He cuts a half-decent promo on Hogan but it's not enough to get me or anyone else excited.

As it turns out I somehow missed two Nitro episodes in the run up to Halloween Havoc, so I gave those a watch. They're largely fine, though one of them is most notable for the début of JIMI GRAFFITI! He's somehow in a cruiserweight match with Malenko, despite very much not being a cruiserweight. I checked on cagematch.net and he's gone by January. Spoilers.

I've not said a lot about the Nick Patrick angle yet. It starts off fine, with things being a little ambiguous as to whether or not he's on the take. He's also managed to sell an injury when most wrestlers forget. It's impressive work from Patrick, who's also one of the better promo guys oddly enough. He's naturally suited to the mic, and isn't as stilted as you'd think.

It's good to see Jericho rising in the ranks as well. He's getting over like crazy, despite his theme song.

Has Jericho switched to his Evenflow knockoff yet? Because that's a drat good theme.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This was the early days of the internet and cybersquatting was still questionably legal and rampant. People were making a lot of money registering domain names that they knew companies would eventually want to own. What's so funny about this is that Turner didn't just pay whoever had the rights to wcw.com whatever they wanted considering how much money they were already throwing at stupid bullshit.

They eventually did however.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Red posted:

Probably not, the ropes are a bit looser and the ring is bigger, if he had a foot or two more of room, he would haven't even hit his knee on the ropes in the first place.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Red posted:

Probably not, especially considering WCW also used cables instead of actual ropes like the WWF. This is also how Cactus Jack lost his ear in that match against Vader(though the cables were also extra tight that event).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

WWF ropes are also taller than WCW ropes I think?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

ayn rand hand job posted:

Has Jericho switched to his Evenflow knockoff yet? Because that's a drat good theme.

No. His theme right now can best be described as the music they'd play over a montage in a 90s Disney movie.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

DrVenkman posted:

No. His theme right now can best be described as the music they'd play over a montage in a 90s Disney movie.

If this is the theme I'm thinking of it also had a version with lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwNkI1bBSHI

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I believe at some point jericho mentions that this theme (sans vocals) was on a production CD and was titled something like Basketball Highlights #3.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RZApublican posted:

If this is the theme I'm thinking of it also had a version with lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwNkI1bBSHI
This song is much better than Fozzy's output.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I remember when they used to plug one of their albums on WWE shows. I felt bad for WWE.

edit: all I know is "Toooo keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel a strangaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" or something.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

LordPants posted:

I remember when they used to plug one of their albums on WWE shows. I felt bad for WWE.

edit: all I know is "Toooo keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel a strangaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" or something.

Is that better or worse than the one Raw where THA LIGHTS GO OUT was the Summerslam theme until that other song was the Summerslam theme

Fozzy is so awful

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

Jimmy Del Ray, former Heavenly Body, if you're interested.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

'96 Update:

Tony keeps insisting that the match that everyone wants to see is Piper and Hogan. I can loving assure you that it isn't Tony. Ice Train is somehow still a thing as well.

In trying to convert Sting to the NWO Nash quoted his "favourite American Poet, Jim Morrison". That explains a lot about Nash. Still, he gets points for his previous Warren Zevon reference, even though when he was beating up Flair he shouted "Thug Life".

Also according to Tony, Teddy Long is an inspiration to youngsters worldwide. Jesus Christ Tony, stop it.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

What was the Warren Zevon reference?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

RZApublican posted:

What was the Warren Zevon reference?

One of the Nasty Boys has a werewolf mask on and Nash says "I think I had a Pina Colada with this guy in Trader Vicks"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

drat he's cool

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
He's too sweet.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

DrVenkman posted:

One of the Nasty Boys has a werewolf mask on and Nash says "I think I had a Pina Colada with this guy in Trader Vicks"

The Best Ever

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

'96 Update:

Holy poo poo.

Why has no one ever told me about the Roddy Piper music video angle.

Piper and Hogan want a match. Bischoff is having trouble nailing Piper down for a match, citing his "Lawyers and management" as the issue. He's confident that he can make it work though. Next week on Nitro, a 'fan' accosts Tony and Larry and leaves them a tape.

Later on after the tape has been reviewed, they play it on air and it's this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa1Q6xpoM8c

WCW use this to show that Roddy has been obsessed with Hogan for years. This is enough to prompt Piper to show up at Nitro the next week and 'expose' the NWO. Turns out that 'I'm your man' was a single that only saw a release in the UK, so I can't believe I didn't see it.

The episode ends, like the previous two episodes do, with Hogan dancing and flexing to the NWO theme. As much as I hate Hogan, it's actually a pretty funny way to troll the audience and get them hating the man. He also cuts a hilariously inaccurate promo in which he claims that Santa With Muscles is cleaning up at the box office. I checked in Wikipedia and the movie was released for 2 weeks before leaving theatres. Also, Ransom came out at the same time and Space Jam is due to be released a few days later. Hogan didn't stand a chance.

The next episode, by the way, is storming. One of the things that WCW did well was sometimes they would just cut in to something happening at the start. In this case we see the aftermath of an NWO attack and there's no Nitro credits. It gave this appearance that this world still existed when the cameras weren't rolling. WCW's presentation was never that polished, but there's little flourishes that they throw in there. There's a moment where they're about to go to commercial, but Bischoff quickly stops them because he thinks they're about to see a pin. It's a little messy, and a little unpolished, but then it's meant to be a live event.

But that Piper angle. Man...that's the best motivation they can come up with? And this is at the expense of a pretty good Macho Man feud they had going.

Anyway the episode ends with Piper exposing the man behind the NWO, it is of course Bischoff. And I guess as big a dick as he ends up being, I'll miss him on commentary. He was never the best, but he made a good straight man and was certainly better than Vince ever was. I can imagine what a surprise it was seeing him make his turn, even though it does come right out of nowhere. Still, Piper does audibly call Bischoff a little poo poo before they beat him down.

The Nash reference of the week: He drops in a quote from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

'96 Update:

Holy poo poo.

Why has no one ever told me about the Roddy Piper music video angle.

Piper and Hogan want a match. Bischoff is having trouble nailing Piper down for a match, citing his "Lawyers and management" as the issue. He's confident that he can make it work though. Next week on Nitro, a 'fan' accosts Tony and Larry and leaves them a tape.

Later on after the tape has been reviewed, they play it on air and it's this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa1Q6xpoM8c

WCW use this to show that Roddy has been obsessed with Hogan for years. This is enough to prompt Piper to show up at Nitro the next week and 'expose' the NWO. Turns out that 'I'm your man' was a single that only saw a release in the UK, so I can't believe I didn't see it.

The episode ends, like the previous two episodes do, with Hogan dancing and flexing to the NWO theme. As much as I hate Hogan, it's actually a pretty funny way to troll the audience and get them hating the man. He also cuts a hilariously inaccurate promo in which he claims that Santa With Muscles is cleaning up at the box office. I checked in Wikipedia and the movie was released for 2 weeks before leaving theatres. Also, Ransom came out at the same time and Space Jam is due to be released a few days later. Hogan didn't stand a chance.

The next episode, by the way, is storming. One of the things that WCW did well was sometimes they would just cut in to something happening at the start. In this case we see the aftermath of an NWO attack and there's no Nitro credits. It gave this appearance that this world still existed when the cameras weren't rolling. WCW's presentation was never that polished, but there's little flourishes that they throw in there. There's a moment where they're about to go to commercial, but Bischoff quickly stops them because he thinks they're about to see a pin. It's a little messy, and a little unpolished, but then it's meant to be a live event.

But that Piper angle. Man...that's the best motivation they can come up with? And this is at the expense of a pretty good Macho Man feud they had going.

Anyway the episode ends with Piper exposing the man behind the NWO, it is of course Bischoff. And I guess as big a dick as he ends up being, I'll miss him on commentary. He was never the best, but he made a good straight man and was certainly better than Vince ever was. I can imagine what a surprise it was seeing him make his turn, even though it does come right out of nowhere. Still, Piper does audibly call Bischoff a little poo poo before they beat him down.

The Nash reference of the week: He drops in a quote from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Pretty sure it came up in this thread not too long ago. This is a much more in depth description, however.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

'96 Update:

World War 3...ehhh.

Let's cover anything good quickly. Nick Patrick and Jericho was fun for 5 minutes, sadly it seems to go on for 10. Patrick actually sells pretty well, and Jericho is having a blast. It's easy to see how he got so over.

Malenko has another good match. Does anyone know if he's had a bad match?

The Piper/Hogan thing rolls on. I wish it didn't. I'm sure it'll be over soon though right?

WCW once again commits to their 60 man battle royale idea. It once again doesn't work. It's nigh on impossible to tell what's going on. And the commentary is a clusterfuck. They keep having to tell you that something is happening because the cameras are all in the wrong place. For some reason a good portion of the match has two camera crews covering the same ring and I don't think anyone noticed.

Inexplicably, Lee Marshall is attacked and it amounts to nothing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still remember the exact moment I saw that Piper video. I have no idea why my memory insists on holding onto that vivid memory but its there and I can call it the image of teenage me sitting in my bedroom watching that confused with perfect clarity.

DrVenkman posted:

I always really liked that about WCW. WWE has never really felt real to me. Its too polished and clean. WCW felt like 90% of the sporting events I'd watched where things could get a little messy because that poo poo was live and you didn't know where everything would go. Yeah, that probably comes down to production flaws and WWE is a pretty amazing production, but the affect worked for me.

Its the same way ECW's cheap production worked in making them look more underground and trendy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DrVenkman posted:

Malenko has another good match. Does anyone know if he's had a bad match?

(But seriously, his worst was probably when he tried and failed to carry David Flair. There are some things even Dean Malenko can't do.)

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

There was that match with Kidman he hosed up in like 10 seconds.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Skinty McEdger posted:

There was that match with Kidman he hosed up in like 10 seconds.

I thought they didn't tell him the stip.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

I thought they didn't tell him the stip.

no he just forgot the stip momentarily because who the hell books a catch as catch can match

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

oatgan posted:

no he just forgot the stip momentarily because who the hell books a catch as catch can match

:russo: of course

he wasn't quite at the height of his power otherwise it'd have an added stip of Judy Bagwell on a Forklift

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jason Sextro posted:

:russo: of course

he wasn't quite at the height of his power otherwise it'd have an added stip of Judy Bagwell on a Forklift

Kevin Sullivan was booking at the time iirc

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

oatgan posted:

then I'm truly stumped at why he'd do that, although sullivan had plenty of boneheaded booking decisions iirc

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jason Sextro posted:

then I'm truly stumped at why he'd do that, although sullivan had plenty of boneheaded booking decisions iirc

Sullivan's run in early 2000 is absolutely atrocious

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The way WCW worked, someone probably decided on the stip two minutes before the match and never told Malenko.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Jason Sextro posted:

Sullivan said he booked the whole Dungeon of Doom thing to gain Hogan's trust so he could tell Hogan that invoking creative control to do something was probably a bad idea

Then Hogan just goes ahead and beats Arn Anderson and the Giant in a handicap match before he went off to film Santa with Muscles because he needed his win back from Arn goddammit

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

Billy Robinson.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

I think that stip was already booked before Russo got sent home.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

oatgan posted:

Malenko would regularly leave the ring as part of his move set, so it was even stupider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Malenko would regularly leave the ring as part of his move set, so it was even stupider.
This is WCW, I wouldn't be surprised if someone forgot to tell him.